PS4/Gaikai or PS3?

ColFantastic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So I've skipped the Playstation 3 so far this generation. I've been in undergrad or grad school and haven't either had the time or money to warrant purchasing one when I already had Xbox 360 for my Netflix/gaming needs. I used to only buy 2-3 titles a year, usually Halo, a sports game and maybe some bargain bin game that looked cool.

The last year or so, I've gotten the gaming bug and have been playing games like crazy as my graduate studies wind down. I've gotten through most of the big Xbox exclusives that I wanted to play and have been eye balling PS3 exclusives and next gen. Now I'm getting an Xbox One first (don't hate) but will get a PS4, probably next spring/summer.

My dilemma is, should I hold off on the PS4 a little longer (back to next holiday) and purchase a PS3 to beat the exclusives from this gen OR get the PS4 and hope that the PS3 exclusives I want are part of the Gaikai streaming service? The exclusive franchises I would be looking to play are Uncharted, Killzone, Last of Us, God of War, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Sly Cooper and maybe Resistance.

The reason I'm asking now is, that the $200 Black Friday bundle with Last of Us and Arkham Origins seems like such a great deal and I'm not sure if a better value will be found anytime soon. Will normal bundles go down to $200~ in the coming 6-12 months?

Thanks for any insight you folks can provide!

I would say it's safe to get a PS3. We have no guaranteed date of Gaikai release, and even less information on how it works exactly. There are plenty of exclusives to make it worth it.

The exclusive franchises I would be looking to play are Uncharted, Killzone, Last of Us, God of War, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Sly Cooper and maybe Resistance.
Resistance is shit (arguably Killzone too); don't base your purchase on that one. ICO and SotC are FREE on PS+ right now and there are tons of ways to score a free trial, so something to keep in mind. TBH we need more information from Sony on how Gaikai is going to work to make a solid decision. I would honestly say getting a PS3 is a safe buy since Gaikai will undoubtedly have problems until they iron things out and the games bought now will hopefully be supported by it via one time authentication.

We are nearing the end of the current hardware cycle. If you have any experience with the way these things work, you would know that now is the BEST time to get a PS3.

The PS3 is relatively inexpensive, it has a seven-year-long library of releases, and any number of firmware revisions. It has numerous exclusive titles, as well as plenty of multi-platform support. Most of the critically acclaimed titles available for it can now be obtained for next to nothing.

It is very safe to give the PS4 a pass this holiday, and just enjoy some PS3 for the next year or two. I have an absolutely massive catalog of PS3 titles that I still need to play through. Grab the Black Friday deal, maybe get a big-ass hard drive to upgrade your new PS3 with, and have fun.

The Last of Us and three Uncharted games are more than worth the price of that PS3 package before you even get to the others you mention. I do think Sony has huge plans for Gakai and I'm really excited for it, but for $200 you can get a head start on all those great games rather than waiting. I'd get the PS3 and I assure you that by next year you'll be looking to get a PS4 for the new Infamous, Uncharted 4, etc. Think of it this way: if you get a PS4 next winter with a bundle, or maybe for a discount of $100, then for only an extra $100 now you can start playing all those amazing games instead of anxiously waiting. You won't regret purchasing a PS3. Also if you want to play Arkham Origins anyway, then you're paying what, $80-$100 for the system? I just finished The Last of Us a few weeks ago by the way. It's absolutely incredible. Looks like it could be a next-gen game and story is fantastic.

Thanks for the input guys!

I heard Resistance was kind of shitastic but figure if I go it, I better go in all the way and at least play the first one. Have heard good things about Killzone and I'm a big fps fan. I currently have PS+ for my Vita and have got every game available for PS3 since April or May, so I have enough free stuff including Ico & Colossus.

My concern with Gaikai is: Will it have the games I want? Will my internet be good enough for seamless streaming? I live in a large college town so I don't live in the sticks but will it be enough? Will Gaikai be able to handle the load?

There are very few multiplatform games left that I want that I haven't played or don't already own for 360. Like I said, this would be mainly for the PS3 exclusives (not a big rpg fan either).

I have an Xbox One coming on Friday but this might be good for when the inevitable game drought happens after the holidays and before Titanfall in March. I'm not going out of my house on Black Friday so I wouldn't pick this up until Saturday or Sunday. I have $100-120 in credit at both Best Buy and Walmart, I wonder who will have one left. If not, I could probably find someone to trade Xbox for PS3 on CAG after the holidays.

Any more thoughts?

What about the ps3 losing the online servers? Both for multiplayer games and also patches for games that require them? Does anyone see that happening any time soon? There has to be an expiration date on certain games if they ever remove the necessary files for fixing games that are buggy on the disc. It might take a long time for this to happen, but it's something to consider when buying these systems that rely so heavily on being connected...

Patches will never go away; they're stored on Sony PSN servers.  MP servers are privately owned and can be shut down at any time (see EA quarterly server shutdowns).  What you're concerned about has been one of the primary reasons I don't buy digital because you in essence don't own anything.  Without a physical disc to backup the games, if a server ever goes offline for good or a service goes defunct you're SOL.

Good point on the servers. I don't see that being a big problem for me with regards to catching up on PS3 games. The earlier games in series I would mostly skip MP and play them in the later entries i.e. Killzone 3.

I have a bunch of credit at BBY and Walmart, so if I can find PS3 bundle there I will grab it. If there are none, I'll wait a little longer until another great deal comes up.

So....I pulled the trigger on The Last of Us PS3 bundle from Best Buy's pre-Black Friday event yesterday. Only cost me $80 out of pocket after gift cards. Now I'm debating what to play first. Do I start with TLOU because I have it? But I don't want to peak too soon. Maybe start with Uncharted or Infamous? I have a Vita so I have all PS+ games since April. I think I have Infamous in that, maybe I'll start there and hope that Gamestop does another 2 for $10 deal soon on used games to stock up on old PS3 exclusives.

What PS3 exclusives would you guys recommend? I'm not big into JRPGs but I'll give most anything else a shot. Definately need to try Journey, Flow, Flower as well. What are some good PSN exclusives that I won't be able to find on disc?

So....I pulled the trigger on The Last of Us PS3 bundle from Best Buy's pre-Black Friday event yesterday. Only cost me $80 out of pocket after gift cards. Now I'm debating what to play first. Do I start with TLOU because I have it? But I don't want to peak too soon. Maybe start with Uncharted or Infamous? I have a Vita so I have all PS+ games since April. I think I have Infamous in that, maybe I'll start there and hope that Gamestop does another 2 for $10 deal soon on used games to stock up on old PS3 exclusives.

What PS3 exclusives would you guys recommend? I'm not big into JRPGs but I'll give most anything else a shot. Definately need to try Journey, Flow, Flower as well. What are some good PSN exclusives that I won't be able to find on disc?
Save LoU for last because almost nothing will top it.

Definitely grab a PS3 as we don't know how well Gaikai will work, what the cost will be, if every game you want to play will be on there etc.

The Last of US/Batman bundle is a great deal (under $200 a few places for Black Friday).  Grab that then work on picking up other exclusives for cheap--Uncharted series, Killzone 2 & 3 etc.

So I ordered PS3 TLOU/BAO bundle from Best Buy, then canceled it because I could do store pick up through Kmart. Of course, we left the next morning for Thanksgiving travel and won't be able to play it until next Wednesday or Thursday.

I think I will start with Infamous since I have it through Playstation Plus and see how I feel after I finish it. Will definitely give Uncharted 1 a shot, and I have thought about trying to pick up Ratchet and Clank collection for $10 through Amazon today. Will see if I pay attention enough today. I suppose I won't pick up a ps4 until I finish the PS3 games I want to play (which is probably a good i.e. cheaper, thing).

Thanks for all the input guys. Please feel free to shout out any more suggestions for PS3 exclusives!

I still question how well game streaming will work with most internet connections... not just speed but also connection drops. 

Do I start with TLOU because I have it? But I don't want to peak too soon.
If that's your mentality, then just get a PS4. Since it's a new generation, it's essentially starting from the bottom again. If you're worried about "peaking" right away, then just ignore all PS exclusives and start fresh with a new generation that will most likely start new IPs

If that's your mentality, then just get a PS4. Since it's a new generation, it's essentially starting from the bottom again. If you're worried about "peaking" right away, then just ignore all PS exclusives and start fresh with a new generation that will most likely start new IPs
If I were to spring for a PS4, I wouldn't do it until Spring or so. I also don't want to miss out on some of the great games from the PS3 generation. I'm afraid I'm going to play TLOU, be cranked up to 11 by it and when I play Uncharted or Infamous I will be let down because it either isn't graphically as impressive or the gameplay as innovative and thereby spoil the PS3 experience. I suppose it will just be a matter of keeping my expectations in check...and starting with Infamous which I have through PS+ already.

replace HD with 500GB minimum, buy 1 year of ps+, look into the gamesharing thread.
Do I really need to upgrade to 500GB? What is normal game size on PS3? I won't be playing many games at the same time so I assumed 250GB would be adequate. I have had PS+ since April (I own a Vita) so I have a bunch of digital games already available but like I said, won't play many at the same time.

250gb is enough.. lets be honest.. most gamers are horders.. they just want to collect and own those games. even if they never play them. plus you can download all those games again nowadays and internet isnt going to become slower but faster over the next years. now those phantoms that you can only download once might be a reason to get a bigger HD but even there 250gb should be enough :) 

@gakai.. lets see if it ever will work good.. i hear remote play on vita is not that perfect as many people thought and gaikai uses a similiar tech i suppose?!

So what's the price point for Gaikai?  It's only going to be something worth while if it's free for PS Plus users.  I can't imagine anyone paying $10 a month to play old games. 

So what's the price point for Gaikai? It's only going to be something worth while if it's free for PS Plus users. I can't imagine anyone paying $10 a month to play old games.
I would pay $10 a month depending on the selection of games. But as for what the price is, I don't believe they have said yet.

I'd buy it to finish any PS3 games I missed winning such as Beyond: Two Souls, Puppeteer, Darksiders 2, Saints Row IV, Gran Turismo VI and some game that came out at a bad time since I'd rather be frolicking in the summer than playing video games called The Last Of Us. After that, I wouldn't need PS Now.

I ended up buying my PS3 on Black Friday and now I kind of regret it. I haven't had a lot of time to play around the holidays but what I have played has been pretty good. I kind of wish now that I would have saved the $200+ and applied that to future PS Now on my Vita and/or a upcoming PS4 purchase. The die has been cast though, so I have to play through the 12-15 PS3 games  I want before I can justify a PS4 purchase.

That being said, PS Now looks pretty bitchin' and I really hope it works as good as it looks at CES. I'm a little worried about data caps because I saw that an hour of HD gameplay will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5-3.5 gb of data. As someone with a 250 gb data cap, that worries me a bit.

I'm also very curious as to how the pricing model with work. Will their be different tiers with different pricing/available games? What will be the price of the top tier? Will there be a discount if you are a Playstation Plus member?

The video I saw of Playstation Now looked horrendous. Unplayable input lag. God of War Ascension was like playing the original Prince of Persia. And that was with a server down the hall and a handful of users. Ouch. Hopefully they improve it A LOT. But I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

bread's done
Back