Xbox One is failing already? UPDATED

All home consoles have a failure rate, especially at launch.

Seems about the same or less as the PS4. You figure a million consoles sold, yet not *THAT* many videos out there.

Come to think of it, only the Wii U seems to have little failure rate. I don't recall reading any Wii U failures outside of the update that possibly bricked some systems. My Wii graphics card overheated with the standby mode years ago but the system still works.

I haven't tried a physical xbox one game yet (bought bf4 digital), but my xbox reads blurays. Is my system good??

Seems about the same or less as the PS4. You figure a million consoles sold, yet not *THAT* many videos out there.

Come to think of it, only the Wii U seems to have little failure rate. I don't recall reading any Wii U failures outside of the update that possibly bricked some systems. My Wii graphics card overheated with the standby mode years ago but the system still works.
Wii U seems to be the most reliable console since the original Xbox and GameCube (those 2 things never fail).

Wii U seems to be the most reliable console since the original Xbox and GameCube (those 2 things never fail).
Mostly true. The GameCube was very reliable. On the other hand the original Xbox was plagued by disc read error issues. I know the problem was rampant because I earned my beer money in college by fixing people's Xboxes.

The original Xbox had a very high failure rate for certain types of versions (for example, the original Xbox consoles that had Thompson drives were pieces of shit).

Mostly true. The GameCube was very reliable. On the other hand the original Xbox was plagued by disc read error issues. I know the problem was rampant because I earned my beer money in college by fixing people's Xboxes.
My enraged brother threw my GameCube against our concrete driveway when we had a fight once, and years later it still works flawlessly.

Interestingly, it was his idea to buy the 360. "It's Microsoft...this thing will be flawless." In less than a year we had the red lights.

Yeah..it's funny how these same things come up every console launch and people act completely shocked and use it as a reason to trash a system. I would love it if electronic devices had a little more reliability right out of the gate, but this is just the world we live in. Parts are getting smaller, run at faster speeds, and generate more heat. TVs ship with dead pixels, cell phones have firmware glitches, etc. This is part of the risk of being a day one buyer.

If it's something that people are getting sick of...stop buying products on day one and wait until the kinks have been worked out. If you don't want to trade that "extra excitement" of being one of the first to have something for better product reliability, well...then this is what happens. You're paying a premium and basically acting as a beta tester because you "need" it right away. The only thing that could ever change in these scenarios is your own patience, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah..it's funny how these same things come up every console launch and people act completely shocked and use it as a reason to trash a system. I would love it if electronic devices had a little more reliability right out of the gate, but this is just the world we live in. Parts are getting smaller, run at faster speeds, and generate more heat. TVs ship with dead pixels, cell phones have firmware glitches, etc. This is part of the risk of being a day one buyer.

If it's something that people are getting sick of...stop buying products on day one and wait until the kinks have been worked out. If you don't want to trade that "extra excitement" of being one of the first to have something for better product reliability, well...then this what happens. You're paying a premium and basically acting as a beta tester because you "need" it right away. The only thing that could ever change in these scenarios is your own patience, lol.
Agreed. It's impossible to eliminate such things from happening. You can always send it in for a repair or return it.

It's impossible to eliminate such things from happening. You can always send it in for a repair or return it.
Yeah...isn't that what I said? That's why it seems silly for people to be in an uproar about it. You're a day one buyer. You signed up for this.

It's not going to have a 100% success rate. You rolled the dice. Just have to hope it's not you.

EDIT - Haha, see the "Agreed" now. I thought you were counter-arguing me somehow, lol.

This needs to be stickied asap.  It's the One's version of the red ring of death!

Man, I didn't think this would happen this soon.  6 months........a year......but not 1 day.

I feel bad for those who bought it and can't return it for another one because they are sold out.

My problem is after the first update is done it tries to restart but it cant and if you turn it back on by hand it goes back to square one.. guess I am a beta tester..won't be getting my birthday present that works for weeks now lol

The original Xbox had a very high failure rate for certain types of versions (for example, the original Xbox consoles that had Thompson drives were pieces of shit).
Oh man I had completely forgotten the Thompson drives issues. I remember the diagrams online to see which disc tray you had to find out which drive was in your xbox.

Oh man I had completely forgotten the Thompson drives issues. I remember the diagrams online to see which disc tray you had to find out which drive was in your xbox.
Been there done that because I modded my original Xbox lol. Dude, upgraded hdd, SNES, N64 emulators and you know the ability of watching movies without buying their overpriced remote. :razz: It all bit me in the ass though as I couldn't transfer over save data from the original Xbox to the 360 so I had to start the backwards compatible games all over again haha. doh

Crazy for expecting a 500 product to at least let get to the dashboard? Man I guess I expect too much
I know you're being sarcastic, but yes, that's kind of the situation we're in now. Ever since the PS2 every console not from Nintendo's had some kind of strange hardware issue at launch with varying degrees of severity. Those willing to buy on day one need to be prepared that things may not go perfectly.

Not that I accept or approve of that, but...well, there's a reason I haven't purchased an Xbone yet. I want feedback on hardware.

The  "GREEN SCREEN" is not an issue.  Just turn your controller on and hit "A" a bunch of times.  I had that happen when I first did the update

It's a launch of new tech. Most ambassador's should have an idea that there might be technical issues and I'm sure it's not as widespread as you think it is. With twitter,Facebook and YouTube being common now it's easier to assume there are major flaws but the truth is it is the minority of console releases( 1% or lower). I'm sorry if you encountered a malfunctioned unit but I know for a fact you aren't out $500+.

Crazy for expecting a 500 product to at least let get to the dashboard? Man I guess I expect too much
I'm not even buying a next gen system for a year or two and even I know better than this. What percentage of Xbox One's do you think have issues? I'm willing to bet it's less than 5%. Is that unacceptable? If you expect 100% success rate, you're living in a dream world. Some people just got unlucky, and that's the way it goes. We all take turns getting shit on in life. And all products have issues. I promise you, Hoover vacuum cleaners has units that are DOA. It happens. It's the percentage of failures that matters.

Yeah. I bought a Foreman Grill once and it essentially Red Ringed when I turned it on. Electronics, even in a grill, are never 100% off the assembly line.

It's a lot better to have a problem like this where you find out soon rather than a major design issue where you don't find out until a year later.

So my Xbox One is making a really weird scratching noise and I have no idea what it is. I know it isn't the disc drive because I've never even put a disc in the system. I first noticed it when the system was installing the system update when I first booted it up. The crazy thing is it makes a little noise even when the system is off (NOT in standby either)!!! I posted this video because I'm not sure I've heard of/seen anything quite like this anywhere else. If anyone has any idea wtf this could be feel free to let me know. It makes enough noise when it's off that I have to unplug it when I'm not using it.....not good lol.

The Xbox seems completely normal other than the awful noise, it hasn't locked up on me or anything yet. Here's the video I took: 

So my Xbox One is making a really weird scratching noise and I have no idea what it is. I know it isn't the disc drive because I've never even put a disc in the system. I first noticed it when the system was installing the system update when I first booted it up. The crazy thing is it makes a little noise even when the system is off (NOT in standby either)!!! I posted this video because I'm not sure I've heard of/seen anything quite like this anywhere else. If anyone has any idea wtf this could be feel free to let me know. It makes enough noise when it's off that I have to unplug it when I'm not using it.....not good lol.

The Xbox seems completely normal other than the awful noise, it hasn't locked up on me or anything yet. Here's the video I took: 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skqwBNGH8VU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

EDIT: Sorry about the grey behind the font, I copied my post from another site onto here.

Wondering if anyone has the issue I have with Xbox One. I got the day one edition and my day one controller will not connect to the system. I did some research and found that some other people are having the same issue. I went to the store late last night and bought another controller and it works fine with no issues.

I contacted MS support and got a ticket to return and get a replacement day one controller. Kind of sucks because I wasn't planning on buying a second controller for a while but shit happens.

Wondering if anyone has the issue I have with Xbox One. I got the day one edition and my day one controller will not connect to the system. I did some research and found that some other people are having the same issue. I went to the store late last night and bought another controller and it works fine with no issues.

I contacted MS support and got a ticket to return and get a replacement day one controller. Kind of sucks because I wasn't planning on buying a second controller for a while but shit happens.
I haven't had any issues. My day one update finished and then my Xbox told me there was a problem with the update so I should try again or check my network. I checked it and it was fine. I retried the update numerous times and it kept giving me an error. Then I turned the Xbox off and back on and it was perfectly fine. It picked up right where it should have been after the update process

That's funny cause I haven't even checked. I used my second controller the entire time. I'll have to check when I get home.

Well I got screwed too. 1 out of 3, I had bought 3 of them at gamestop, one for me & one for each of my boys, well thank god mine & my oldest are fine. But my youngest sons, green screen of death , I was on chat with tech help from 10am till 230 & nothing. They said to ship it out , but I would have to put 500 down. I was like what? I just spent 2000 on 3. I'm tapped out. 4 reals credit cards maxed. Then I called gamestop & all I got was " it's a new system you have to deal with Microsoft, we can't help you" I was what !!! Then I spent 2 hours on hold with there corporate office & was able to take it back. Of cures they are all sold out, so I was able to have them refund me the money. But I just realized it will take up to 5 days to get it in my account :( so I had to give my Xbox one to my youngest & both boys are playing now! But not me:( I've called around & no one has any Xbox ones and if they did , I still have to wait till my money's in the account , cuz I'm broke till then;( I feel your pain!

Very true. Fortunately, I still have a launch Xbox with a Thompson drive and it works like a charm *knocks on wood*

The static/scratching noise seems more common with standby. I rather leave my unit off and cold boot. Seems to save electricity, but obviously takes longer to boot (18 seconds vs 72 seconds) and of course isn't as cool saying "Xbox On" when you go in the room. Not a fan of standby after my Wii graphics card overheated when they had the standby issues.

Well I got screwed too. 1 out of 3, I had bought 3 of them at gamestop, one for me & one for each of my boys, well thank god mine & my oldest are fine. But my youngest sons, green screen of death , I was on chat with tech help from 10am till 230 & nothing. They said to ship it out , but I would have to put 500 down. I was like what? I just spent 2000 on 3. I'm tapped out. 4 reals credit cards maxed. Then I called gamestop & all I got was " it's a new system you have to deal with Microsoft, we can't help you" I was what !!! Then I spent 2 hours on hold with there corporate office & was able to take it back. Of cures they are all sold out, so I was able to have them refund me the money. But I just realized it will take up to 5 days to get it in my account :( so I had to give my Xbox one to my youngest & both boys are playing now! But not me:( I've called around & no one has any Xbox ones and if they did , I still have to wait till my money's in the account , cuz I'm broke till then;( I feel your pain!
not sure if this helps, or if the source is reliable, but you might want to check your local bestbuy, come close to black friday, and throughout december for availability. they are apparently withholding stocks of it.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/22/5133784/best-buy-you-wont-have-any-trouble-finding-a-ps4-or-xbox-one

So far I'm not too bad off, but my Kinect crapped out on me. It worked for like 1-2 hours then it shut off without me noticing I was playing Ghost. I just got off the phone w/ Microsoft they are sending me a new Kinect, well they're sending me a label I send the old Kinect then they send me a new one but you get the drift. Hope everyone else has better luck, at least I can play games Dead Rising 3 is awesome.

My one did the "green screen of death" right after the day one patch. Thought it had locked up and was bout to restart but held off. Glad I did cause it got off the green and went to the home screen. Granted it was on the green screen for about 5-7 mins before moving on.

Theres a fix on the xbox forums supposedly for the GSOD now, people have reported it to work well. Can't link ATM (damn you IE) but it's there. For people who have waited hours for the update of course. I'd assume updates are going a lot faster now.

My one did the "green screen of death" right after the day one patch. Thought it had locked up and was bout to restart but held off. Glad I did cause it got off the green and went to the home screen. Granted it was on the green screen for about 5-7 mins before moving on.
Mine did the exact same thing. Might be normal for first boot after patch.

Ok so just to update everyone I just got off the phone submitting my One for repairs.  It was surprisingly painless to do, I think I was only on the phone for about 15 minutes.  "Mike" from India was very helpful lol.  Anyways the estimated date on the new console showing up is "Dec 2 - Dec 6" so that's not too bad.  At least I have a PS4 to tide me over! 

It seems like they forgot to include progress bar of some sort.  You would think Microsoft would know to do this!

It didn't get any worse but I am sending it in regardless.  It's annoying as hell when the system is on but the fact that it still makes noise when it's shut off makes it unbearable for me.  I couldn't even fall asleep at night with that trash going on haha.  Also seeing as how I will have this thing for years I would rather have one that's working properly.  I didn't pay $500 for damaged goods.

Finally received my Day One edition from Amazon today (they didn't ship it on Thursday, but sent it out on Friday instead....but that is a different story), hooked everything up, put Forza in the drive, and heard the horrible grinding noise from the disc drive.  Should have a replacement early to middle of next week.  Here is to hoping that one actually works.....

Yeah sorry cgarb sounds like a fan issue. I re-watched your video and would definitely send it back myself.

Hope MS gives you a free digital title for your troubles as well.

You can choose from: Zoo Tycoon, Ryse, Forza and Dead Rising 3.

And as stated your getting your console back fast. That's because they are sending out consoles fast and put a hold on your CC till the damaged system is returned and verified by them, but It's worth it IMHO because you get the system really fast and a free game to top it off.

I'm just waiting close to the 45 days as possible then I'm going to buy the extended warranty from MS for $70.

My story:

I got my xbox on launch day from amazon. That same night my wife and I drove 11 hours to Ny to visit family for the Holidays. I finally got to hook up my xbox one at my moms house and it kept failing during the update. I know it's not an internet connection because everything else works perfectly fine. I went through Microsoft support for 2 days then the finally offered to replace it. They are sending me a new one then I need to send mine back after I receive it. Since I am in Ny and won't be back until Saturday I am having it shipped to my job. Obviously this is extremely frustrating but I guess I just got back luck this time. I talked Microsoft into giving me a free year of xbox live and a token for a free game, though. If anyone cares I will update this post on the progress.

Update #1: I didn't receive an email with confirmation on the process. I contacted xbox support and they said the support agent I talked to yesterday basically lied and didn't process anything. To make matters worse, I was directed to a website that is "currently having problems" so I couldn't even process the request now. Then I was transferred to someone else and got a message saying the support agent hours are over since it's 5:00 pm. What a load of horse shit.

If you want a stable hardware console platform... buy it a year or more AFTER launch.

If you want a stable hardware console platform at launch... buy Nintendo.

Nintendo has a long-standing reputation for solid, dependable hardware, especially in the U.S. They build consoles that run well, and last a long time. Their failure rates are also much lower than most other companies. (though still not zero, there's no such thing as a perfect failure rate) Check YouTube for the video of a GameCube being road-hauled for more than a mile, and be amazed. Nintendo systems are able to sustain a disturbing amount of abuse and still run.

One of the big problems with the current hardware launches is just how successful both Microsoft and Sony have been in terms of logistics. They shipped far more units initially than any company has in the past. And all of them sold out. Part of the reason we're hearing about these failures so much right now isn't because the failure rates are so high, but because we have a much larger than usual number of units to draw these examples from. A failure rate of 1% is pretty reasonable. But 1% of a million units is still 10 thousand units.

So, is the grinding noise with ANY disc?  I had since launch but yet to put a disc in the drive.  I only bought DR3 as a digital game.  I'll try a bluray when I get home...I hpoe nothing is wrong, although a free game would be nice too.

bread's done
Back