so I just ordered cable

gbpxl

CAGiversary!
I realized after bringing a lady friend over the other night how boring it is to have TV but no Netflix or cable and only a handful of DVDs. So I call up Century Link (now partnered with DirecTV apparently) and I simply ask for the cheapest cable package available. I am first told that I'm eligible for an ultimate combo package or something that includes HBO, Showtime, some other crap, and an insane amount of channels.

I am a big fan of the 70-80 some channels you get with basic cable, no extra box or anything crazy. that's what I always had growing up, that's what I wanted this time. I know you need something to convert the RF signal into something that can be transmitted on an HDMI cable, but man do I miss the days of being able to plug the RF cable directly into your TV. one less remote, one less black box below my TV, one less thing to fuck up.

so anyways, back to the phone conversation. it took a long time but I finally got him to admit that there was a cheaper deal than the one he initially offered (apparently "cheapest" and "simplest" did not mean anything to him) and I'm going to get a service that has 198 channels (about 130 more than I need)

no idea if I unknowingly entered into a contract or if there's any hidden fees but I said, screw it, I need cable, and I already had internet through Century Link, so I figured it's easiest just to pay for all my entertainment on 1 bill each month.

they're gonna come out on Saturday (4 hour window, because that's exactly what I want to do on a Saturday- sit at home for 4 hours, waiting for the cable guy)

anyways, what are some good shows on TV these days? the only one I'm really familiar with and like is Pawn Stars. I'm big on the travel channel, national geographic, that kind of stuff too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's really no worth having cable/satellite unless you're a sports fan like me.

Just get Netflix streaming and disc service.  A lot of the shows are on streaming, and the ones that aren't you can just rent the seasons via DVD/Bluray.

LOL. thanks for all the input, guys.

sole reason I like cable/dish more than Netflix and any other stream-based service: simplicity. I can press one button (the power button on my remote for the TV) and I instantly have a TV show. If I get tired of that program, one button (up or down) and it brings me to something else, instantly. no endless menus, signing in, buffering, slow-down, etc

and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the picture quality you get with Netflix.

LOL. thanks for all the input, guys.

sole reason I like cable/dish more than Netflix and any other stream-based service: simplicity. I can press one button (the power button on my remote for the TV) and I instantly have a TV show. If I get tired of that program, one button (up or down) and it brings me to something else, instantly. no endless menus, signing in, buffering, slow-down, etc

and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the picture quality you get with Netflix.
Nice try, Big Cable representative.

There is something to be said for the convenience of just being able to flip channels and find something random to watch, put news/sportscenter on in the background etc.

My fiance and I both get annoyed as shit trying to browse for something to watch in the Netflix or Amazon apps (she doesn't have cable/sat at her place--I have DirecTV, and we're getting Xfinity at our new place next week after our move).

I still really only do it for sports though.  Got to have the ESPNs, Fox sports regional channels, TBS/TNT, NFL/NBA/MLB networks etc.  There's just not relibable streaming options for college sports (most ISPs only due ESPN3 if you have TV service too, the regional net works aren't streaming), no legal option for NFL and MLB/NBA are too pricey.

If I wasn't a sports buff I'd just stick with Netflix, despite losing the channel surfing/easy background noise convenience of cable/sat.

A quick visit to the Century Link website shows me that you will be getting Direct TV, not cable tv. Direct TV always comes with a contract from what I've seen. Typically 2 years. This lady friend better be a damn good friend.

bread's done
Back