Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare - Now available on Xbox One and 360!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is a third-person shooter spin-off of the Plants vs. Zombies series. It costs$39.99 on Xbox One and $29.99 on Xbox 360. The Xbox One version offers 2-player split-screen and the SmartGlass "Boss Mode" to justify its increased price. Both games support 24 player competitive matches and 4-player co-op.

Reviews

IGN Review

Polygon Review

GameSpot Review

Previews

Hands on with Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare - by EastX!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty excited for this! I know I am late to the game.. but I just started playing PVZ 2 on my android phone and I can't put it down..

Pretty excited for this! I know I am late to the game.. but I just started playing PVZ 2 on my android phone and I can't put it down..
Well to be fair we've been waiting what seems like forever for the android version lol. Love me some PvZ! I was a little hesitant when they revealed this game but the more I found out about it the more at ease I am now.

Great preview, EastX!

I plan on getting this in Feb. I love PvZ and this one looks like a lot of fun. It'd be cool if we get a CAG group together. Feel free to add me on xbl, GT is chubbyninja1319.

Great preview, EastX!

I plan on getting this in Feb. I love PvZ and this one looks like a lot of fun. It'd be cool if we get a CAG group together. Feel free to add me on xbl, GT is chubbyninja1319.
Thanks man. I'll follow you next time I hop on the Xbox One again.

Might get this on 360 if it offers a single player aspect.  By the time I get to this game out of my backlog, my friends probably won't be playing this.  Also, wish the 360 version would have offered 2 player split screen.

This comes out on the same day as Earth Defense Force 2025.  So that gives me another incentive to pre-order.

I'm pretty sure that neither the X1 or the 360 version will have single player.  Which stinks, because I'm mainly a single player kind of guy.  But this game looks too good to pass up. 

Might get this on 360 if it offers a single player aspect. By the time I get to this game out of my backlog, my friends probably won't be playing this. Also, wish the 360 version would have offered 2 player split screen.

This comes out on the same day as Earth Defense Force 2025. So that gives me another incentive to pre-order.
Yeah, there is no single-player mode. I hear you can play the online co-op mode without other players joining in though.

That's unfortunate.  I really do not want to see publishers charging $10 more for Xbox One or PS4 games!   This happened last gen and we had the whole HD games cost $59.99 instead of $49.99.

That's unfortunate. I really do not want to see publishers charging $10 more for Xbox One or PS4 games! This happened last gen and we had the whole HD games cost $59.99 instead of $49.99.
Well, they have to make money somehow. It's more like the previous gen versions are discounted because they're somewhat inferior.

The lack of a single player campaign is starting to make me less and less interested in this game.  I don't see why they couldn't have included that (note: I'm not a developer, so I don't know how much money or effort is required to throw in bots or whatever).  I'd have paid full retail for a single player offering with a fun story featuring Crazy Dave.  Instead of "hells yeah, preordered!" this one is wait and see.

The lack of a single player campaign is starting to make me less and less interested in this game. I don't see why they couldn't have included that (note: I'm not a developer, so I don't know how much money or effort is required to throw in bots or whatever). I'd have paid full retail for a single player offering with a fun story featuring Crazy Dave. Instead of "hells yeah, preordered!" this one is wait and see.
The reason (as it was explained to me) is that they're testing the waters with this one to see if it does well. They're putting everything into the multiplayer features since they believe (probably correctly) that more players prioritize multiplayer in shooters over single-player. They have limited resources to work with because the game is an experiment (crossing over a casual brand into a more hardcore genre) and also, time is limited because they want this one to come out as close to the Xbox One's launch as possible.

If Garden Warfare sells well, the sequel will very likely have a campaign. Gamers just need to prove to EA that this is the kind of game they want to play.

Also, they told me you can play the offline co-op mode by yourself on Xbox One. Probably not on 360, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for that info, EastX! Seriously. I can appreciate the experimental nature of the game and I DO want it to be successful, as a fan of the franchise. And it's $40. Eh, what the hell! :D

I'm in too.  For the 360 since that's where most of my friends are likely to play it.  Anyone else in?  Let's get a CAG Squad going!

The studio uploads went live on the X1. You can add the game to your tiles from there.

It's going to be 10ish gigs in size. Only saw one clip as of last night.

Rayman Legends is 4gigs.

i am a bit interested, but i am still deciding between this and titanfall. i doubt i will have time for both game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XLJIlksR-8E

Well, they've said no microtransactions at launch. Yeah they said at launch... which means they're thinking about it for later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XLJIlksR-8E

Well, they've said no microtransactions at launch. Yeah they said at launch... which means they're thinking about it for later.
I'm not concerned about microtransactions in this. If it's like ME3, which I've heard many times that it very much is, it's a nice option to have but shouldn't feel forced or required. I think the "core" industry is finally figuring out microtransactions and inserting them in a way that isn't bothersome.

I'm not concerned about microtransactions in this. If it's like ME3, which I've heard many times that it very much is, it's a nice option to have but shouldn't feel forced or required. I think the "core" industry is finally figuring out microtransactions and inserting them in a way that isn't bothersome.
I beg to differ, the only reason why ME3's unlockable packs with in-game or real currency system worked was because that mode was not competitive. You put this same system into a competitive game, like PvZ:GW, and it's all out of whack now.

Fair argument, my man. Since I don't really play competitive MP games, I guess I don't understand or appreciate how that would matter. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I've looked into this and haven't found the answer.....is this game cross platform? I'm almost positive it is not, bit would like it confirmed.

Most likely not cross platform, not many games do that and the ones that tried, Shadow Run, didn't really result well from all the effort into making that feature.

Well for competitive multiplayer it's all about balancing. You can't have one guy over powered because he just bought the shit, that's not gonna work.

I beg to differ, the only reason why ME3's unlockable packs with in-game or real currency system worked was because that mode was not competitive. You put this same system into a competitive game, like PvZ:GW, and it's all out of whack now.
The difference here is that (AFAIK) players just unlock new customization parts and classes. But the design goal is for all classes to be balanced, so that two versions of a Chomper are equally as competitive. Time will tell if it works that way. I found the default guys to be perfectly enjoyable, but I only played it for a little while and can't tell how long it takes to actually unlock things.

Agreed that it's not cross-platform; they would have announced that if it were the case. Also buying only the 360 version if you have both consoles is a mistake IMO since the Xbone version will run so much better as has the extra co-op mode. But the allure of playing with friends is hard to ignore... Assuming they also have specific plans to get the 360 version.

The difference here is that (AFAIK) players just unlock new customization parts and classes. But the design goal is for all classes to be balanced, so that two versions of a Chomper are equally as competitive. Time will tell if it works that way. I found the default guys to be perfectly enjoyable, but I only played it for a little while and can't tell how long it takes to actually unlock things.

Agreed that it's not cross-platform; they would have announced that if it were the case. Also buying only the 360 version if you have both consoles is a mistake IMO since the Xbone version will run so much better as has the extra co-op mode. But the allure of playing with friends is hard to ignore... Assuming they also have specific plans to get the 360 version.
Well I hope you're right.

Also buying only the 360 version if you have both consoles is a mistake IMO since the Xbone version will run so much better as has the extra co-op mode. But the allure of playing with friends is hard to ignore... Assuming they also have specific plans to get the 360 version.
Yeah, I'd love to get this on the X1, but my pals who I play online with the most haven't upgraded. So I'm rocking the last gen one last time.

I'm picking this up on the X1 tomorrow as well. Reviews go live at 3 a.m. EST tonight, I believe. I'll probably get it even if it bombs in reviews, it looks like a ton of fun. If anyone wants to play, feel free to add me on Live. Live name is same as on here.

Reviews all read as pretty solid to me.  Consensus seems to be this:  Not much depth, but a lot of fun.  That's what I wanted to hear.

bread's done
Back