Persona 4 Golden Playstation Vita 19.99 free shipping with prime or $35+ Amazon

Well shit. I bought this 11 days ago for 27. ._.

Great deal for anyone who hasn't played P4 before. My first time playing the game since I just got a Vita and it's great.

Still have my Solid Gold edition sealed. Have yet to play this game (sacrilege, I know.), but from what everyone says, it is one of the MUST OWN titles for the VITA.

This is part of a big sale that Atlus is doing on a lot of their games.

Atlus puts their games on sale fairly frequently.  This has been $20 three or four times already either on PSN or retail.

I'll be that guy (again). One of the worst games I've ever played. After 5 hours, I couldn't take it anymore and sold it. Just endless babble, the worst dungeon design I've seen in recent memory, and unless you play it with a guide you'll never get a good ending. Just.. I know I HAVE to be missing something because of the universal love this game gets, but I'm really not sure what it is. :D

So why did I buy i again? *sigh*...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is part of a big sale that Atlus is doing on a lot of their games.

Atlus puts their games on sale fairly frequently. This has been $20 three or four times already either on PSN or retail.
It's been $20 digital and has hit $25 retail a few times, but $20 for retail is as good as it gets for P4G. It's a niche title and not carried at B&M outside of Gamestop, so it'll probably never hit clearance prices ($10 or under).

Kind off topic, but P4G is also $19.99 on Gamestop.com, but when I went into the store today, it was still ringing up as $29.99. Anyone know when the prices should update?

Kind off topic, but P4G is also $19.99 on Gamestop.com, but when I went into the store today, it was still ringing up as $29.99. Anyone know when the prices should update?
It won't. If you go to the website it clearly says only online is at discounted price.

Picked this up digitally via PSN a few weeks ago. Never played a Persona game before, but this thing sucked me in to the tune of about 35 hours in a week or so.  The mechanics and systems in place are fantastic, and I can admit that the social link stuff lets me vicariously re-live my high school years as a much cooler version of myself (hah!).  I really really like it.

will be picking this up at gamestop later with credits. nice!

I'll be that guy (again). One of the worst games I've ever played. After 5 hours, I couldn't take it anymore and sold it. Just endless babble, the worst dungeon design I've seen in recent memory, and unless you play it with a guide you'll never get a good ending. Just.. I know I HAVE to be missing something because of the universal love this game gets, but I'm really not sure what it is. :D

No game is for everybody, man. I know of more than a few games that have universal acclaim that I just don't like.

hah this is in my gold box today for 18 bucks and change. I actually bought a copy a while back for 20 bucks since i didn't want to open either collectors edition i had. Maybe ill snag one for my cousin for xmas

Your not alone. I hate anime in general and this felt no different. Of course we are in the minority and Im not trying to discourage anyone from getting it. I will give it another shot eventually as this goes on sale digitally once every once in a while but for now at this moment I hate it.

Sorry you feel that way. I know how it feels to hate universally loved games. I got into a huge argument with GameStop staff when I traded in a copy of Twilight Princess for the Wii shortly after it came out. I just didn't like it. I thought it was boring and derivative.

I tried to force myself to play Batman Arkham Asylum over 3 times because I thought "I can't possibly hate this as much as I do. I have to be missing something. I'm sure it'll click eventually." Never did. My advice would be just to not worry about it and move on, but who knows. Maybe playing it on the go will give it a new perspective for you?

I'm actually kind of intrigued by your critique because I didn't even know the game had a bad ending. From my experiences, I thought it just had Good and True (which is basically acquired by someone asking "Want to see the rest of the game?" and you going "Yes, please."). I've only played the PS2 version and, but I might pick up Golden to see how to get the non-good ending(s).

I'm actually kind of intrigued by your critique because I didn't even know the game had a bad ending. From my experiences, I thought it just had Good and True (which is basically acquired by someone asking "Want to see the rest of the game?" and you going "Yes, please."). I've only played the PS2 version and, but I might pick up Golden to see how to get the non-good ending(s).
There is a bad end, actually. I've never seen it outside of YouTube.

One of the best games of the last decade.

Did you go with ship to store? The game isn't available in stores at the discounted price, FYI.
Atlus announced on their Twitter feed that this pricing does not start in stores until the 29th, although I do know what stores this will happen for. Someone on another thread suggested Gamestop as in store sale pricing on Dragon's Crown apparently also starts there on the 29th.

I have Persona 3 for Vita and haven't played it yet.  Do people generally play both or is 4 enough of an upgrade that you would never go back to 3?

I have Persona 3 for Vita and haven't played it yet. Do people generally play both or is 4 enough of an upgrade that you would never go back to 3?
There's manual control for the PSP version of P3, so I think you should be fine going back to it, gameplay-wise. I personally don't like the visual novel presentation of the P3P though, and prefer the console version, even though it has AI control.

3 & 4 are the most popular Persona titles so its worth playing both as Atlus puts the casts together a bunch for side games (see the new 3DS & Vita games next year plus Arena & the upcoming Arena 2) since 3 & 4 take place roughly the same time in the same universe.

I have Persona 3 for Vita and haven't played it yet. Do people generally play both or is 4 enough of an upgrade that you would never go back to 3?
The PS2 version of Persona 3 is better than the PSP version. So if you want the best Persona experience, either play FES for the PS2 first or play Golden first and then go back to FES.

I'd suggest doing the latter since Golden is a very solid, quality experience.

Oh, and don't use guides for your first playthrough.

The PS2 version of Persona 3 is better than the PSP version. So if you want the best Persona experience, either play FES for the PS2 first or play Golden first and then go back to FES.

I'd suggest doing the latter since Golden is a very solid, quality experience.

Oh, and don't use guides for your first playthrough.
Disagree, you miss out a huge chunk of the game without a guide. Not everyone is going to play the game twice.

Thanks for the replies everyone!  It sounds like I bought the wrong version of P3 but I think I might try a bit of 4 first anyway.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It sounds like I bought the wrong version of P3 but I think I might try a bit of 4 first anyway.
There is nothing wrong with Persona 3 Portable. In fact the creator prefers the story of female main character over the male main character. I strongly suggest playing P3P first, as P4 made many gameplay improvement. For example, there is no changes in dungeon design in P3. You will enjoy P3 less if you play P4 first.

Disagree, you miss out a huge chunk of the game without a guide. Not everyone is going to play the game twice.
What? Are you seriously trying to argue for first timers to play through the games with max s. link guides? The point of the game is for you to play it through how you want and worry about 100% completion on subsequent playthroughs when the schedule isn't so tight that you have to do everything perfectly WHILE hoping the RNG gods are shining their favors down upon you.

Yeah, that sounds like super happy fun desu.

There is nothing wrong with Persona 3 Portable. In fact the creator prefers the story of female main character over the male main character. I strongly suggest playing P3P first, as P4 made many gameplay improvement. For example, there is no changes in dungeon design in P3. You will enjoy P3 less if you play P4 first.
P3P is a terrible first Persona experience -- there aren't any cutscenes, you can't run around in areas, and the epilogue is removed. For P3, you should play FES first, then go through P3P with FEMC.

Palinn, seriously, don't listen to this guy. He has no idea what he's talking about.

P3P is a terrible first Persona experience -- there aren't any cutscenes, you can't run around in areas, and the epilogue is removed. For P3, you should play FES first, then go through P3P with FEMC.

Palinn, seriously, don't listen to this guy. He has no idea what he's talking about.
Well obviously there are some differing opinions here and I thank you both for your input. Since I already own PSP P3 maybe I will give it a try tonight to see what the series is all about before P4 arrives.

So your argument is that it is necessary to play the game twice to get the full experience while using a S link guide allow you to enjoy it by playing it once.  Maybe if you have time to play the game twice.

Playing FES is a bad idea unless you want to waste extra time grinding to make up for the horrible AI.  The visual novel style is fine, and manual movement save time.  The Anser is a horrible mess, better to just youtube it.

These types of discussions always irritate me. Look p4g is awesome, get it and enjoy it. If you have a couple hundred hours to go back and run through them all and neglect other games then do it. If you're like everyone else in the world and don't and you'll just let the games sit on your shelf till you see another thread like this where it's cheaper and feel compelled to post "Oh man I still have that sealed and paid more", avoid building a backlog, enjoy it now and consider the others a lost chance that you'll live without.

Your not alone. I hate anime in general and this felt no different. Of course we are in the minority and Im not trying to discourage anyone from getting it. I will give it another shot eventually as this goes on sale digitally once every once in a while but for now at this moment I hate it.
I'm glad to see a couple people not really impressed by it, just because this style of art and game doesn't normally grab me and I thought I was missing something with all of the praise this game gets. Is this game the exception to the rule? If I'm not a big anime fan and don't care much for the endless anime style dialogue, I assume this really isn't for me either eh?

I'm glad to see a couple people not really impressed by it, just because this style of art and game doesn't normally grab me and I thought I was missing something with all of the praise this game gets. Is this game the exception to the rule? If I'm not a big anime fan and don't care much for the endless anime style dialogue, I assume this really isn't for me either eh?
You can watch giant bomb endurancee run for a bit to get a better idea of the game.

So your argument is that it is necessary to play the game twice to get the full experience while using a S link guide allow you to enjoy it by playing it once. Maybe if you have time to play the game twice.

Playing FES is a bad idea unless you want to waste extra time grinding to make up for the horrible AI. The visual novel style is fine, and manual movement save time. The Anser is a horrible mess, better to just youtube it.
Persona 3? Considering there are two MCs... yes. Or are you magical enough to get it all done in one playthrough?

If you wanna play shackled to a guide, reloading for boosts and spending more time on the game than a normal playthrough, that's fine. But I don't think players should be forced on an imbalanced, boring, step-by-step guide that completely looks past the point that the games are trying to make: the MC is supposed to be you, and you are supposed to make the choices.

As for P3P vs FES, P3P feels like a lifeless point-and-click dating sim. It should not be anyone's first stop on the Persona train.

bread's done
Back