Nvidia Shield + Carrying Case $199.99 +$10 shipping at Thinkgeek.com

SOOOO tempted this beats New eggs deal

Coupon expires 11:59 11/30/2013   Tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone own it and like it? I'm debating between this and the Mario Luigi 3DS.
I have heard great things about it. Cheapy and ship like it it. They say it is a great piece of hardware. It is a niche thing though. I am a geek so I have been tempted for a while. 200 seems like a sweet price point for me it is just I have been buying a bunch this black Friday.

I will probably bite.

Damn, had I not ordered myself a vita, I would totally get this. Especially for emulators! But also streaming games from my PC could be sweet.

Must resist temptation...

i WENT AHEAD AND PULLED THE TRIGGER i HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN THIS DEVICE BUT WOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT IT AT 350 HELL 200 IS A LITTLE MORE THAN I WANTED TO SPEND BUT SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOT TO TAKE A CHANCE. i LOOK AT IT THIS WAY I HAVE SPENT 200 BUCKS ON STUPIDER THINGS SO LETS SEE HOW THIS WORKS OUT.

Thanks OP, that's an awesome deal. They probably weren't thinking about the Shield when they set up that other promo code...

Oh Snap! Thanks OP, this is my best deal for sure this holiday. Damn, I just bought this from Newegg, but I can't pass up this kind of deal, the CAG in me won't allow it.

I have one... I like it.  heavier than I expected and amazon app store app crashes instantly on mine (anyone else have this happen), but it is nice.  I paid $200 for mine and I think $200 or less is the right price for it.

Thanks OP, that's an awesome deal. They probably weren't thinking about the Shield when they set up that other promo code...
I know I just bite thanks Woo hoo

The funny thing was there was no info about the case. The only case seems to be the 39.99 one, I hope it is the official one.

I know I just bite thanks Woo hoo

The funny thing was there was no info about the case. The only case seems to be the 39.99 one, I hope it is the official one.
A number of places were including the official 39.99 case as part of the nVidia deal that brought it down to $250, so I think it will be that one.

I was about to pull the trigger on the Newegg deal right before I saw this.  Thanks OP!  May good karma come your way.

Also, does anyone know if that deal were you get a $100 coupon for a Nvidia Shield if you buy select Nvidia graphics cards still exists?

A number of places were including the official 39.99 case as part of the nVidia deal that brought it down to $250, so I think it will be that one.
Yeah, it is the official case, as Nvidia sent out emails in regards to these black friday deals. Some places included the case for 250, and others didn't. Newegg actually gave a t-shirt with theirs along with the case.

i tried it at gamestop and while its a pretty cool piece of kit i still think the vita is a much better buy. with gaikai, ps4 streaming on the vita along with the vita games and indi dl titles it isnt even close for me

You guys seem awfully excited for a $200 Android machine.
This is the "BEST" Android machine currently on the market, and it easily blows away other devices that cost the same, and others that cost even more.

In regards to if this is better than other handhelds......It comes down to personal opinions. If you know what Shield is about and what it can do, you'll see the value that is presented here. I have the Vita and 3DS and those are great machines, but each brings something different to the table, in the same way Shield does.

Honestly, this was due to be released at $350, and it would have been a bargain at that price if you have the proper interest in what it can do. Getting this for 200 is like getting the latest Android smart phone for half off and no contract. This was a killer deal, I'm sorry more users didn't get to take advantage before stock ran out.

Sorry for resurrecting the topic of a dead deal, but I am hoping that the topic title might catch the attention of someone who took advantage of said deal.

Why?  Because my order didn't come with the carrying case that was supposed to be included, and I am wondering if those who also took advantage of the deal have also had the same experience.

Sorry for resurrecting the topic of a dead deal, but I am hoping that the topic title might catch the attention of someone who took advantage of said deal.

Why? Because my order didn't come with the carrying case that was supposed to be included, and I am wondering if those who also took advantage of the deal have also had the same experience.
Mine didn't show up either, I just opened a chat with CS and within a few minutes they shipped me a new one and sent it by UPS 3 day. I'm guessing they didn't realize the offer included the case, but it was on the invoice, so maybe their temp Xmas helped dropped the ball, either way it's an easy fix.

Why? Because my order didn't come with the carrying case that was supposed to be included, and I am wondering if those who also took advantage of the deal have also had the same experience.
Yep I called and they said they was sold out and they gave me a 50 dollar refund. I was good with that

I have heard great things about it. Cheapy and ship like it it. They say it is a great piece of hardware. It is a niche thing though. I am a geek so I have been tempted for a while. 200 seems like a sweet price point for me it is just I have been buying a bunch this black Friday.

I will probably bite.
I don't believe CheapyD has one; but Shipwreck does, and he seems to think pretty highly of it. Keep in mind, however, that the Shipwrecks make a ton of money (he's an engineer and she's a veterinarian), so their level of disposable income for spending on frivolous tech is probably higher than most.

i WENT AHEAD AND PULLED THE TRIGGER i HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN THIS DEVICE BUT WOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT IT AT 350 HELL 200 IS A LITTLE MORE THAN I WANTED TO SPEND BUT SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOT TO TAKE A CHANCE. i LOOK AT IT THIS WAY I HAVE SPENT 200 BUCKS ON STUPIDER THINGS SO LETS SEE HOW THIS WORKS OUT.
THATS TOTALLY CRAZY

Yep I called and they said they was sold out and they gave me a 50 dollar refund. I was good with that
SWEET, I would have took that deal if offered. Then I would have bought a case for 40 and put the extra 10 back in my pocket, bringing my shield purchase to 200 instead of 210. LOL

I don't believe CheapyD has one; but Shipwreck does, and he seems to think pretty highly of it. Keep in mind, however, that the Shipwrecks make a ton of money (he's an engineer and she's a veterinarian), so their level of disposable income for spending on frivolous tech is probably higher than most.
The shield is really in a league all by itself. It is a niche item for sure, but that's really only because it's android based and a "controller", and not a tablet or phone. The specs on this thing would make it a 600+ dollar tablet or smartphone, so the value is there, no question about it. Now comes the tough question, do you need one? Foe me the answer was YES, especially at 100 below retail and a free case, was a no brainer.

I never use my smartphone for anything but talking, and I never saw the need to get a tablet, as I just never saw the use for it without proper physical controls. I'm a gamer through and through, so anything I buy that plays games needs to do so properly. The reviews for the Shield are awesome, if they come from those who knew what to expect, and often poor for those who didn't.

It really is a unique item and Nvidia deserves a TON of credit for what they have done here, as it is a possible game changer.

SWEET, I would have took that deal if offered. Then I would have bought a case for 40 and put the extra 10 back in my pocket, bringing my shield purchase to 200 instead of 210. LOL

The shield is really in a league all by itself. It is a niche item for sure, but that's really only because it's android based and a "controller", and not a tablet or phone. The specs on this thing would make it a 600+ dollar tablet or smartphone, so the value is there, no question about it. Now comes the tough question, do you need one? Foe me the answer was YES, especially at 100 below retail and a free case, was a no brainer.

I never use my smartphone for anything but talking, and I never saw the need to get a tablet, as I just never saw the use for it without proper physical controls. I'm a gamer through and through, so anything I buy that plays games needs to do so properly. The reviews for the Shield are awesome, if they come from those who knew what to expect, and often poor for those who didn't.

It really is a unique item and Nvidia deserves a TON of credit for what they have done here, as it is a possible game changer.
If I'm correct, the nVidia Shield serves two primary gaming purposes: 1) the ability to play Android-based games and emulators with physical controls; and 2) the ability to act as a remote play device for your PC on a rather limited number of titles.

Regarding #1: you can already buy decent controllers that work with Android-based smartphones, which means you also have access to all the features of the smartphone AND the added bonus of physical controls for your games, yet for a fraction of the cost of a Shield. Also, almost nobody was interested in buying the $100 Ouya to play their smartphone games on a dedicated device, so why would they chose to spend more on a device that has a more limited feature set due to it having a more walled-off architecture.?

Regarding #2: the feature truly is limited to a small number of titles and, because the Shield has sold so poorly, I don't see the level of support for this platform-specific feature increasing.

The Shield does sound like a fun piece of tech. to play around with, but because it's so niche and because the streaming support is so limited, I can't see arguing that the device is a "game changer" just because it offers a dedicated means of playing a dearth of mostly mediocre Android games. I feel like the 3DS XL and Vita are both way better options for people who desire unique, full-fledged gaming experiences on the go; and the Vita makes an even stronger case now that it offers the ability to stream essentially 100% of the PS4's library, which already includes some of the PC's biggest franchises (Battlefield 4, CoD - Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV, etc.). Oh, and dat gorgeous OLED. *SIGH*

Anyway, just my two cents. I'll probably buy a Shield when it inevitably hits clearance prices, and it'll probably get used solely for emulation purposes, and maybe a few Android games.

Cheapy has one. It was given to him by one of the guys he is always talking about.

Well, much like his other portable gaming devices, he must never use it--Shipwreck is the only person on the CAGcast who ever talks about the Shield, and the conversation is usually prompted by CheapyD's questions about it.

Well, much like his other portable gaming devices, he must never use it--Shipwreck is the only person on the CAGcast who ever talks about the Shield, and the conversation is usually prompted by CheapyD's questions about it.
They had some good talk about it streaming etc . Cheapy really likes it especially after the updates came down. He really is not a portable gaming device guy but he says it is an impressive piece of hardware.

If I'm correct, the nVidia Shield serves two primary gaming purposes: 1) the ability to play Android-based games and emulators with physical controls; and 2) the ability to act as a remote play device for your PC on a rather limited number of titles.

Regarding #1: you can already buy decent controllers that work with Android-based smartphones, which means you also have access to all the features of the smartphone AND the added bonus of physical controls for your games, yet for a fraction of the cost of a Shield. Also, almost nobody was interested in buying the $100 Ouya to play their smartphone games on a dedicated device, so why would they chose to spend more on a device that has a more limited feature set due to it having a more walled-off architecture.?

Regarding #2: the feature truly is limited to a small number of titles and, because the Shield has sold so poorly, I don't see the level of support for this platform-specific feature increasing.

The Shield does sound like a fun piece of tech. to play around with, but because it's so niche and because the streaming support is so limited, I can't see arguing that the device is a "game changer" just because it offers a dedicated means of playing a dearth of mostly mediocre Android games. I feel like the 3DS XL and Vita are both way better options for people who desire unique, full-fledged gaming experiences on the go; and the Vita makes an even stronger case now that it offers the ability to stream essentially 100% of the PS4's library, which already includes some of the PC's biggest franchises (Battlefield 4, CoD - Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV, etc.). Oh, and dat gorgeous OLED. *SIGH*

Anyway, just my two cents. I'll probably buy a Shield when it inevitably hits clearance prices, and it'll probably get used solely for emulation purposes, and maybe a few Android games.
The streaming is not nearly as limited as you think. There's the ability to connect to steam big picture which where you can stream any game in your library. Having kids and limited access to the TV my computer is connected to makes this a fantastic device for me.

The streaming is not nearly as limited as you think. There's the ability to connect to steam big picture which where you can stream any game in your library. Having kids and limited access to the TV my computer is connected to makes this a fantastic device for me.
I have to agree 100%^

There are tons of things this device can do, that aren't really known to the closed minded masses(or advertised). Every time I've ever discussed the Shield, I say the same thing "You neither get it, or you don't". Anyone who talks about using a Bluetooth controller for you smart phone, doesn't get it.

Sadly, Android is divided over many manufacturers, so the Shield specific Tegra 4 games are far and in between, as well as games that use it's physical controls, but as more big players like Nvidia and Samsung offer gaming specific controllers, I'm hopeful a standard will be reached in the future where all Android games offer a physical control setting. The mapping feature is a great option for those games that don't offer proper controls currently.

Of course this device hasn't changed the game(yet), but it could over time. I expect many of the features seen in this device, will become standards in the future for devices of this nature. If Apple had released a device like this, it would be considered the best thing since sliced bread. That just go to show how sad the current market consumer is, and how they will follow trends and have blind loyalty to certain products, even when the FACTS clearly show some products are superior and a way better value. For handheld Android gaming, streaming, and emulation there is NOTHING better than Shield.

bread's done
Back