Google Glass

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So I got an invite to buy the google glass through the explorer program today. It's rediculously steep at $1500. What do you guys think? It's obviously going to be obsolete soon and there is no guarentee Google will continue giving explorers upgrades (though some part of my head feels it's likely).

However the technology seems promising despite being slightly awkward. What do you guys think, should I bite the bullet?

I wouldn't. That's just me.

You get the privilege of being their beta-testers for the low price of $1,500? No thanks.

yeah that's my thought too,

it's actually 1638 after tax haha... I just paid that much for a 70" TV that is far more useful. I have a few more days to stew on this one. If the battery life was more robust I would go for it.

I would definitely wait for Gen 2 or maybe even gen 3...it's still far too early to get this. That is, unless you have $1,500 you can freely throw at this without concern :)

For the record, I really think with a couple more years of development, this could be huge.

I would definitely wait for Gen 2 or maybe even gen 3...it's still far too early to get this. That is, unless you have $1,500 you can freely throw at this without concern :)

For the record, I really think with a couple more years of development, this could be huge.
It's basically the remainder of the money I planned to spend this holiday season (need to spend another $1500 of minimum spend for my chase sapphire bonus). So it was either this, or Corsa axleback exhausts for my CTS-V Wagon. The other option was Amazon or costco gift cards for the long run and an xbox one.

Something about the glass is exciting, but I know the current gen is a pretty useless battery life. I guess I kind of hope they would let people who buy gen 2 to upgrade to gen 3 and the final for free. They did that with gen 1 explorers.

Signed up for an invite on the site. Picked it up today. If you get an invite and live close enough to one of the pickup points I recommend going over it with a glass guide.

It's definitely not worth the price for most people but It's very very interesting to see the potential especially with some of the applications are there. I feel like it's definitely the path for the future of portable device accessories.

biggest shortfall is the battery life currently so I'm planning on getting a portable charge device to run a little extra juice into it. Second one is making sure I have a solid mobile internet connection thanks to sprint's crappy network.

Yes you can watch Freddie mercury videos while in the car :)
20131207_151117_041_x.jpg

And a couple of shots with overlay, one during the day and one at night.
20131207_185749_166_x.jpg

20131207_161801_052_x.jpg

If it was priced reasonably yes I would totally do this, but the price just turns me away. Make it possible to sell it for the amount of a popular smartphone or tablet. When they finally release Google Glass to the world, I really hope they reconsider the price. 

If it was priced reasonably yes I would totally do this, but the price just turns me away. Make it possible to sell it for the amount of a popular smartphone or tablet. When they finally release Google Glass to the world, I really hope they reconsider the price.
The current price isn't representative of the consumer model. It is purely for early adopters and devs to give feedback and develop. Google is well aware they cannot sell the product for 1500 (especially in its current state) to the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus for $1500 you can easily scout other people's power levels....

Seriously though I'm not sure if it is truly worth the $$$ unless you plan on using it as a tool for your business or something along those lines (in other words something that will help mitigate the cost down the line). I do love what the product can bring into the future. Though I always have to wear glasses I'm sure they will come up with a work around for this.

Also the medical potential for AR glasses to treat some disabilities is an amazing thing. As someone who is blind in one eye that fact that something like this can help restore depth perception is an awesome prospect....

I'm not sure of the site as I was reading it on pulse reader, but I read an article that said to expect to pay around the price of a smart phone for the retail version.  So I would expect it to be 300 to 600 bucks when it comes out.  To bad we wont know when that is till Google's big conference.  I would be willing to pay to enter that the year it comes out because chances are you will get a set of Google Glass, the next Nexus tablet and phone.  Hell might even get more stuff.

Tired of it already?
Kind of, return window is within 30 days for a full refund. After tax it's like $1630

Ran into too many issues with it for me to justify keeping it. Was an interesting ride though. Kind of got sick of getting stopped everywhere I go to explain what the device is. Some people may enjoy it, but I found it got in the way and old really quickly.

Got a last final week up north visiting parents and shooting.
Doesn't work too well with rifles
[video=youtube;ftgMqzL65_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftgMqzL65_E[/video]
works OK for shotgunning (esp if you miss apparently)
[video=youtube;AM2VvaJPbgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM2VvaJPbgQ[/video]

The segment definetly has legs and true potential. For example the translation app that overlays english from portugese/spanish/italian.

Very beta but shows what it's capable of in real time.

1514544_10151851521279142_1564184858_n.jpg

The translation thing is cool, but honestly if somebody ever talked to me while wearing Google Glass I would probably punch them in the face. ;)

It's bad enough when they have a Bluetooth headset in their ear while talking to you. Google Glass on their face while talking to you is far worse. LOL.

And no, I wouldn't really, but I hope the above doesn't become commonplace.

Funny that, even though I returned my glass they're asking me to invite 3 people. So anyone here like throwing money at things? shoot me a PM and I'll get you an invite

If the price wasn't so high I would be willing to jump on this.  Most I would be willing to spend is around 600.  The other issue is all I see wearing this is hipsters.  I get this feeling that when I walk into one of the Schlafly buildings every hipster there will have this.

my advice, don't care what other people think. I don't regret mine (mainly because I was able to return it lol)

I'm sure for certain people it's worth the money.

bread's done
Back