* * * * - 42 votes

PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

Vita PS Vita

#24001 GameOverGreggy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1064 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

GameOverGreggy

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Gamestop doesn't price used games to target customers who buy 50 games a year and have GCU/Prime.  They price them high for the walk-in traffic who are happy to save something over the cost of buying new.  Than they have the 10%/20% off via membership, B2G1 sales, etc... for all of us.

#24002 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   795 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

The problem for me is how badly GameStop has screwed up used game pricing. This is not a recent thing, it's been happening for the better part of two decades. And GameStop aren't the only ones contributing to it, EBay is also to blame. But GameStop has definitely been a prime factor.

Basically, used game pricing sucks. Most used games these days are literally $1-$3 cheaper than their brand-new counterparts. At that kind of a difference, there's really no decent reason to go for a used copy. And except in very rare cases, GameStop does not have decent sales. Every once in a while you'll see a B2G1 free sale. But even those are based on the inlfated used pricing which never seems to lower. So their appeal is more than a little limited.

When you compare all this to pricing on brand-new games, the disparity is obvious. GameStop's used pricing never really drops or goes on sale. But brand-new copies at big-box and on-line retailers do go on sale. And occasionally they are put on clearance. Over the past decade, I've found that I can consistently find brand-new copies for cheaper than used copies, pretty much 100% of the time. I often have to be patient, but for the discerning shopper used pricing at GameStop has essentially killed used game shopping. Rarity, and the occasional game that slips out of wide availability is now the only reason I ever go into a GameStop. And nine times out of ten, I leave without buying anything.

Once upon a time going into used game stores was a thrilling hunt for me. It was possible to find decent prices, bargains, and the occasional rare gem. GameStop has ruined all of that.

This is no longer true for vita games for the past 2 years. I doubt you can find any new game cheaper then it's used counterpart

#24003 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2529 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

And in doing so, they have crippled what was previously an enjoyable part of my hobby. (shopping for games) Their obsessive quest for profits, and consolidation of an entire second-hand industry essentially spoiled that industry for people like me, by re-targeting it at casual rubes. And it did this to the benefit of its stockholders, and no one else. The second hand game market now consists of just GameStop. All competitors are so much smaller, and so much less accesible that GameStop is basically running the entire show. It's incredibly frustrating for anyone old enough to remember a time when this behemoth wasn't lumbering around. I used to love shopping for used games. Now I essentially never buy games used! GameStop's exploitative policies are largely to blame for this current, lamentable state of affairs.

#24004 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2529 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

This is no longer true for vita games for the past 2 years. I doubt you can find any new game cheaper then it's used counterpart

Yes, I can. All I have to do is pre-order it from Best Buy or Amazon. The pre-order discount they provide usually drops the price below whatever sticker GameStop will EVER put on one of those titles. And GameStop won't even have any of those games available a month after release anyway.

#24005 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   795 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

Yes, I can. All I have to do is pre-order it from Best Buy or Amazon. The pre-order discount they provide usually drops the price below whatever sticker GameStop will EVER put on one of those titles. And GameStop won't even have any of those games available a month after release anyway.

I've never bought any vita game new especially with only a 20 percent discount. Gamestop if your patient, will beat all, if you combine b2g1.

I have well over 200 (all complete)vita carts and haven't had to buy new unless limited to only one retailer like lRG.

#24006 NSpectreGarrus   CAGosaurus Rex! CAGiversary!   775 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

NSpectreGarrus

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, of the 8 games I bought online, none were complete in my area.  I ended up selling the lot for a couple dollars more than I paid.  Back to the hunt!

But yeah, my local Gamestops do have some complete Vita games, probably 8-10 per store, but never enough for a B2G1 of games that I don't already own.  I usually grab one or two and combine with PS4 games.  The 4/$X sales is a great deal, IF you can find 4 games in the right price range that are complete...

631840.png

#24007 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

And in doing so, they have crippled what was previously an enjoyable part of my hobby. (shopping for games) Their obsessive quest for profits, and consolidation of an entire second-hand industry essentially spoiled that industry for people like me, by re-targeting it at casual rubes. And it did this to the benefit of its stockholders, and no one else. The second hand game market now consists of just GameStop. All competitors are so much smaller, and so much less accesible that GameStop is basically running the entire show. It's incredibly frustrating for anyone old enough to remember a time when this behemoth wasn't lumbering around. I used to love shopping for used games. Now I essentially never buy games used! GameStop's exploitative policies are largely to blame for this current, lamentable state of affairs.

No there is plenty of competition for GameStop for used games.  The real problem is it doesn't matter because like GameStop everybody uses ebay pricing now anyway so everything is the same overpriced no matter where you go.  You can rarely even buy things at yard sales or Goodwill anymore without people looking things up on ebay for prices one by one.

ebay essentially broke any kind of price competition for 2nd hand games by ensuring everybody got their prices from one single place.  Worse, those prices are easily manipulated by fake sold listings to skew the average value or make people think it's something rare.  It doesn't matter if the game is $25, if someone listed it for $4000 and bought their own, everyone else in the business of used games is going to see that $4000 sold listing and think they have gold and it propagates to used game stores, yard sales, swap meets, Goodwill, Craigslist, everywhere.

Your best bet is watch the market like a hawk and hit it used with GameStop deals when it's rock bottom just before resellers notice it's out of print at retailers and start jacking the price through the roof.  You have a week or two window where the game will sit used at Gamestop for $17 after a game that used to be $20 on ebay starts creeping back up $30, $40, $50, $60, etc.  But you have to be quick because once word gets out ZOMG GET IT WHILE YOU CAN, everyone selling them for $50+ on ebay is going to be driving around town cleaning out every GameStop's stock along with every collector.

#24008 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2132 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

Gamestop if your patient, will beat all, if you combine b2g1.

I'd say a good half of my Vita games came from GS.   The discount card, buy 2 get 1 coupons, using points to get vouchers for cash towards games, and sales made the experience quite excellent.  The only better deals were for new games discounted from Target, Walmart, Best Buy and on Amazon.   I, personally, have no problems utilizing ALL of the stores available to me when building a collection or hunting a specific game.  GS worked out great when I was building my collection since I was smart enough to ONLY shop in the stores and I'd utilize the GS website to check all of the stores within about 75 miles of me for each game I was hunting and I'd plan a little game hunting trip around that (or along side doing something else).   It was the most fun I've had collecting since my NES days when I'd hit every rental place around that was liquidating their massive stock of games.  Granted, it was a lot more work removing stickers and "permanent" marker in the NES days (when NES was phasing out)... but that thrill of the hunt was pretty exceptional due to the occasional surprise finds of games I didn't even know existed.

Now, I don't really collect for any systems... I only buy the games I really want to play.

loading_icon.150d3a5a.gifLoading...

#24009 csbaker-az  

csbaker-az

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

I'd say a good half of my Vita games came from GS.   The discount card, buy 2 get 1 coupons, using points to get vouchers for cash towards games, and sales made the experience quite excellent.  The only better deals were for new games discounted from Target, Walmart, Best Buy and on Amazon.   I, personally, have no problems utilizing ALL of the stores available to me when building a collection or hunting a specific game.  GS worked out great when I was building my collection since I was smart enough to ONLY shop in the stores and I'd utilize the GS website to check all of the stores within about 75 miles of me for each game I was hunting and I'd plan a little game hunting trip around that (or along side doing something else).   It was the most fun I've had collecting since my NES days when I'd hit every rental place around that was liquidating their massive stock of games.  Granted, it was a lot more work removing stickers and "permanent" marker in the NES days (when NES was phasing out)... but that thrill of the hunt was pretty exceptional due to the occasional surprise finds of games I didn't even know existed.  Granted the vita wasn't as fun as the hunt was more random and there was no way to really gauge what a store had back then... but it was still a good time.

Now, I don't really collect for any systems... I only buy the games I really want to play.

I backfilled a rather substantial DS and PSP library (practically all RPGs and games worth having) with Gamestop alone.  Less Vita as I was active on that platform and not trying to backfill as much.

There is a sweet spot at the bottom when games are plentiful as people move up to new platforms and the old platform is still being phased out by the manufacturer where you can get games dirt cheap when nobody cares before everybody starts going collector/flipper crazy over them.

But then Gamestop got stupid and started throwing away cases, inserts, and manuals on pricier games while still charging ebay CIB pricing.  Fortunately the list of games I didn't have yet was already impossibly small at that point that my odds of finding what I needed in any Gamestop was already next to nothing.

With being more on top of 3DS/Vita/PS3+ after I returned to console gaming full time, I have little to no need for Gamestop outside of their stupid exclusives.

#24010 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6215 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

But then Gamestop got stupid and started throwing away cases, inserts, and manuals on pricier games while still charging ebay CIB pricing.  Fortunately the list of games I didn't have yet was already impossibly small at that point that my odds of finding what I needed in any Gamestop was already next to nothing.

Yeah, this is the folly of it all where GS is concerned. Throwing out most of what gives past games their value, is completely lost and ignored at a so called gaming store. GS while completely clueless has afforded me some decent buys over the years, but I think the Vita is probably the last system I'll be buying games for from them.

Depending on how the NS goes with time, I may get some titles from there, but doubtful, since most retail NS titles are $60, and the ones that aren't, I've been getting with my Prime discount already(for day one versions). So I guess time will tell if anything improves at GS, but I'm very doubtful of that ever happening. If anything, I'm sure things will only continue to get worse.

EDIT: Power to the Players..........Yeah, right! LOL

"Listen y'all, if Chris of all people isn't complaining, then you know it's a non-issue." -tonyxvx

#24011 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6890 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

The problem for me is how badly GameStop has screwed up used game pricing. This is not a recent thing, it's been happening for the better part of two decades. And GameStop aren't the only ones contributing to it, EBay is also to blame. But GameStop has definitely been a prime factor.

Basically, used game pricing sucks. Most used games these days are literally $1-$3 cheaper than their brand-new counterparts. At that kind of a difference, there's really no decent reason to go for a used copy. And except in very rare cases, GameStop does not have decent sales. Every once in a while you'll see a B2G1 free sale. But even those are based on the inlfated used pricing which never seems to lower. So their appeal is more than a little limited.

When you compare all this to pricing on brand-new games, the disparity is obvious. GameStop's used pricing never really drops or goes on sale. But brand-new copies at big-box and on-line retailers do go on sale. And occasionally they are put on clearance. Over the past decade, I've found that I can consistently find brand-new copies for cheaper than used copies, pretty much 100% of the time. I often have to be patient, but for the discerning shopper used pricing at GameStop has essentially killed used game shopping. Rarity, and the occasional game that slips out of wide availability is now the only reason I ever go into a GameStop. And nine times out of ten, I leave without buying anything.

Once upon a time going into used game stores was a thrilling hunt for me. It was possible to find decent prices, bargains, and the occasional rare gem. GameStop has ruined all of that.

This just in:  Gamestop not really a good deal. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#24012 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10901 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

Idk. Bought at least half of my Vita games from Gamestop.

#24013 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6890 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Buying Vita games works well from Gamestop because there is little for them to screw up.  Just basically "does it have the original case artwork?".   Those tiny cases that barely receive or show damage from even the worst of owners.  So it's fun hunting.  I find about one Vita game I want to buy each time I visit a store, but am never able to find the right games to complete a valuable B2G1 transaction.  However, it's pretty nice being able to walk into a B&M store and buy something cool for $20 on a whim.  There's something valuable about that.  Vita games are probably the most interesting section of their stores, too.  Unfortunately a lot of vita games are $29.99 and up still. 

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#24014 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3885 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

I never shop there, but as far as I'm concerned, Gamestop is the reason I have an NA region Xenoblade (and therefore indirectly every other Xenoblade title since), so I don't hate them.

You couldn't help noting with every breath that thousands of other people were very close to you and nearly all of them had armpits.

#24015 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6215 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

I posted this over in the LRG thread, but here would probably be better. Slain for the Vita is back in stock, but only limited to 300, and that includes those who preordered for this second run, so they may not last long.

https://signatureedi..._eid=d6f3f1d6c0

"Listen y'all, if Chris of all people isn't complaining, then you know it's a non-issue." -tonyxvx

#24016 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11211 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:47 PM

Got a call today from Gamestop indicating I could pick up my preordered copy of Bad Apple Wars Launch Edition tonight after 9pm EST.  Didn't realize that 9pm Thursday was considered Friday.....

#24017 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6215 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:52 PM

Got a call today from Gamestop indicating I could pick up my preordered copy of Bad Apple Wars Launch Edition tonight after 9pm EST.  Didn't realize that 9pm Thursday was considered Friday.....

It has been on the west coast for awhile now, as most midnight releases happen at 9pm now. If your on the east coast, I can't speak to that, but a few years ago, 9pm became 12 for many releases(not all, but some). It's better for staff, as they don't have to pay employees to work until midnight, so since it's technically 12, they can sell the items without getting in trouble, and they only pay 30 minutes of overtime(if that). LOL

#24018 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11211 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

It has been on the west coast for awhile now, as most midnight releases happen at 9pm now. If your on the east coast, I can't speak to that, but a few years ago, 9pm became 12 for many releases(not all, but some). It's better for staff, as they don't have to pay employees to work until midnight, so since it's technically 12, they can sell the items without getting in trouble, and they only pay 30 minutes of overtime(if that). LOL

Yeah....I'm on the East coast, that's why it was odd to me.  Is there a big release tomorrow?  I'm guessing they aren't staying open just for this game (mine was the store's only preorder anyway).

#24019 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6215 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:10 AM

Yeah....I'm on the East coast, that's why it was odd to me.  Is there a big release tomorrow?  I'm guessing they aren't staying open just for this game (mine was the store's only preorder anyway).

Checking Gamefaqs, and it looks like Friday the 13th, The Evil Within 2, and WWE DE launch on Friday. I don't think any are midnight releases, but I never go to those launches, so no telling what level of games are offered. It used to be AAA titles, or new systems, but what do I know? LOL

#24020 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8549 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:13 AM

I was at Gamestop for the buy 4 for whatever sale. I was disgusted with the cases and everything available that I couldn't even buy anything from the mall Gamestop that had more of the titles. There is a closer Gamestop to my house that is very clean and has nice people, but yeah some Gamestops are disgusting!

#24021 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10901 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:03 AM

I posted this over in the LRG thread, but here would probably be better. Slain for the Vita is back in stock, but only limited to 300, and that includes those who preordered for this second run, so they may not last long.

https://signatureedi..._eid=d6f3f1d6c0

Bought the PS4 version instead. :lol: 

#24022 Squeegor 2  

Squeegor 2

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

Too bad the game is no good though.

#24023 Equippt  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

Are you talking about Slain? I really liked that one, although to be fair I love old Castlevania games and over-the-top metal, so I'm pretty much the target demographic there.

#24024 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11509 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

In what way? I am actually thinking about buying it digitally when it gets cheap.

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List Currently inactive, no time to play any games _(:3」∠)_

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#24025 NSpectreGarrus   CAGosaurus Rex! CAGiversary!   775 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

NSpectreGarrus

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

I'd say a good half of my Vita games came from GS.   The discount card, buy 2 get 1 coupons, using points to get vouchers for cash towards games, and sales made the experience quite excellent.  The only better deals were for new games discounted from Target, Walmart, Best Buy and on Amazon.   I, personally, have no problems utilizing ALL of the stores available to me when building a collection or hunting a specific game.  GS worked out great when I was building my collection since I was smart enough to ONLY shop in the stores and I'd utilize the GS website to check all of the stores within about 75 miles of me for each game I was hunting and I'd plan a little game hunting trip around that (or along side doing something else).   It was the most fun I've had collecting since my NES days when I'd hit every rental place around that was liquidating their massive stock of games.  Granted, it was a lot more work removing stickers and "permanent" marker in the NES days (when NES was phasing out)... but that thrill of the hunt was pretty exceptional due to the occasional surprise finds of games I didn't even know existed.

For sure!  I know over half my Vita games are from Gamestop.  Last night I checked another Gamestop for Vita games.  I ended up getting The Walking Dead, Rayman Origins (or Legends, the cheaper one), Dragon's Crown, and Angry Birds SW, all for $16.  Not too shabby for filling out my collection!

631840.png

#24026 TooPoor   ∀ Game, ∃ Buy Price CAGiversary!   11509 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Where do these GS with complete Vita games dwell, the shadow realm?

Mathematically Correct.

Use factual statements, logical deductions, mathematical calculations and objective analysis; not rage.

My Trade List Currently inactive, no time to play any games _(:3」∠)_

NI_YA_SHA_BI.png

#24027 shadowassailantx   Trophy Hunter CAGiversary!   67 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

shadowassailantx

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

If I order 5 or so of the same pre-owned Vita game from Gamestop's website, will I have more of a chance of getting a complete copy? Or do they send out the complete copies first, so once you get a copy in a sleeve you know that's all that is left? I wouldn't mind trying this out and returning the rest if I knew there was a good shot at getting one...

{}[]{}

#24028 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6215 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Where do these GS with complete Vita games dwell, the shadow realm?

LOL, good one.

Like I said recently, my nearest store doesn't have them on display, and you have to ask for what they have, and what's complete, which I'm not doing. Other stores that still have them on display, I would say have at least half complete.

Some have more, some have less, but anywhere I see them displayed, there is always a good amount of completes to be had. Sadly, most I already have, and the ones I don't are priced to high.

#24029 NSpectreGarrus   CAGosaurus Rex! CAGiversary!   775 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

NSpectreGarrus

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

If I order 5 or so of the same pre-owned Vita game from Gamestop's website, will I have more of a chance of getting a complete copy? Or do they send out the complete copies first, so once you get a copy in a sleeve you know that's all that is left? I wouldn't mind trying this out and returning the rest if I knew there was a good shot at getting one...

I would assume that the more you order, the more likely you are to get a complete copy.  On the other hand, I ordered 8 Vita games, and got 8 cart only.  They were all different games, but to me at least, it seems like they prefer to ship out cart only games...

631840.png

#24030 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   3997 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

No, you won't. They'll just ship you 5 bare carts and move on, the only way to get complete copies is in-store. Don't waste your time.