* * * * - 42 votes

PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

Vita PS Vita

#25681 Equippt  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:43 PM

At least Etrian has already been confirmed to be the last new game of the series on the 3ds. Unfortunately I think the 3ds will probably limp along for several more years.

It's still selling too well for Nintendo to just pull the plug on it. The Game Boy, GBA, and DS all hung around long after they were passed up by more powerful systems, so the 3DS will probably be around for awhile yet, too.

#25682 lakers714  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:54 PM

Proprietary, huh? I guess people haven't heard of SD2Vita. Someday there'll be bootleg carts. Hackers just need the right information.

SD2Vita needs a certain firmware to be useful and then have to install a cfw of that firmware 

r5gKEIn.gif

#25683 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2112 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

If you're already going through the trouble of fully localizing a big Japanese video game like these, it's a rather stupid idea to not do a physical release and capitalize on the full fanbase. But these two publishers, and a couple others (Square Enix, Tecmo Koei and Bandai Namco) have elected to repeatedly shoot themselves in their own proverbial feet these last couple of years by electing to disregard the rather large consumer bases they have who will only buy physical copies of video games. Is it logical? Not in the slightest. Is there actually a reason why they've repeatedly elected to do this? The hell if i know, maybe Nintendo has paid them not to? Your guess is as good as mine.

All I do know for sure is they aren't getting one zinc cent out of me for a download-only game.

I doubt the consumer base for these (mostly niche... or even super niche) games would be profitable enough to make it worth doing for bigger companies.  It's not just about making a fanbase happy, it's about it making sense to the accounting department and others to go physical.   They can't survive on 2000K production runs like LRG can.  Many of them rely on vanilla versions selling at retail, and most of the vita games released to retail over the past year have failed to sell out without HEAVY discounts on Amazon (and even Gamestop, where maybe each store gets one or two copies but they still aren't selling).   I'm sure GS has already cut orders on Vita games with publishers and we know there are almost no BB stores left with Vita options for selling games and BB has ended up mostly going preorder only on games.  With fewer retail options, that makes it even harder on these companies to publish games physically.

Add to this Sony is ending cart production.  Sony made this decision.  Why are they doing that when they kept disc production for the PSP for something like 10+ years?  I think the answer is simply that they have to keep at least one production facility running full time to make it worth having the people and resources dedicated to produce the carts and right now they aren't getting enough production orders to make it worth it.  I'm sure these publishers have helped put the nail in the coffin, but at the same time it's consumers leaving games to have to go to deep discounted prices on Amazon and the last two retailers cutting orders for new games that have forced their hands.  It's a natural end to a systems life... and digital publishing isn't the cause, it's the last option for making a profit off of these smaller games.

It's hard to maybe take this, but the Vita, as much as I love it and most all of us here love it... is not a very popular system.

loading_icon.150d3a5a.gifLoading...

#25684 Equippt  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

What was you guys' favorite RPG for the Vita? Mine was Y's Memories of Celceta because it opened me up to the franchise.

Odin Sphere is my favorite, but the other Vanillaware games are close.

#25685 SaberMatrix  

SaberMatrix

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

It's hard to maybe take this, but the Vita, as much as I love it and most all of us here love it... is not a very popular system.

Former GS Employee here. This is true. We had a number of vita collectors near by, and our store got about 1 copy of every release if it was not preordered, but 99% of ordered quantities go to stores, leaving few online, and most games either sku converted to pre-owned or just went on sale and eventually sold. Dont see people jumping on VN after VN after VN.... With the occasional DC thrown in. Drive Girls was one that sku converted a few months back. Most PO inventory is new copies.

#25686 aniousjoe   Mr. Ka-ra-teh CAGiversary!   824 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

SD2Vita needs a certain firmware to be useful and then have to install a cfw of that firmware 

No different than the Sky3DS card. Wait for the last OFW to be hacked, and the bootleg cards will come.

Posted Image

#25687 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   20761 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

At least the Vita will still live on in Japan form...and probably Asia too.

gjDkeqL.gifv3llIct.gif

Spoiler

#25688 lakers714  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

No different than the Sky3DS card. Wait for the last OFW to be hacked, and the bootleg cards will come.

A sky3ds doesnt need a certain firmware its plug in play card

r5gKEIn.gif

#25689 Tweeg  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

Newsworthy tweets from the land of twitter!

#25690 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   99 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:02 PM

Square could have easily done physical Vita releases exclusive to their online store like they did for Lost Sphear.  Retailers are a non issue.

#25691 elessar123  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

Please let the 3ds die as soon as possible. It's been a great system but the Switch is so much better.

When the Switch can survive a plane ride without charging, I'll agree the Switch is so much better.

As for favorite RPG on the Vita, probably Dungeon Travelers 2. It's surprisingly well-balanced, when the draw was supposed to be the ecchi.

Spoiler

#25692 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2520 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

The Dreamcast is not really an apt comparison. For starters, the Dreamcast had an even shorter lifespan. A considerably shorter lifespan, in fact, the Dreamcast was cancelled only about two years after releasing in the US, and three after releasing in Japan.

As a second point, the Dreamcast was far less proprietary, and far friendlier to indie development after the fact. Most Dreamcast fans are aware about just how negligible the system's copy-protection was. While the Dreamcast used proprietary GD-Rom discs for its games, it had zero protection against burned CDs. And it would boot and play burned CD-R discs without any complaints. So as long as a particular game didn't take up more than 700 MB (and most released games for the system didn't) it was quite easy to download ripped copies, burn them to a disc, and be off to the races. This not only made the Dreamcast a go-to system for pirates, but also extremely popular with emulator developers, and hobbyist game developers. Even today, it is possible for Dreamcast games to be produced and sold, simply by keeping them under 700 MB and releasing them as pressed CDs. If you're not concerned about getting Sega's blessing (and most people aren't) there's really nothing stopping you from developing your own Dreamcast game.

The same will not hold true for the Vita. The Vita carts are far more proprietary. Without Sony's cooperation, it is unlikely that any of them will ever be produced again in the future. Ditto for the game cases, which were of a non-standard size. It will still be possible for the Vita to see digital releases, nothing really stopping that. But even those will have to go through Sony's official on-line store, and they could pull the plug on those as well any time they pleased. I seriously doubt that they will do that. It costs them next to nothing to host those games, and there's always the chance of selling them again down the line through emulation. But I don't think very many developers are going to continue to target the Vita as a release platform.

For physical releases, the Vita is going to have a hard stop, far more so than most other systems. And its relatively short time on the market is going to make it quite desirable for collectors in the coming years. (one could argue that it already has a strong collector following)

#25693 Zaku77   \m/ CAGiversary!   4484 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

Another interesting aspect for the Vita is the percentage of its physical library that is made up of limited release games (LRG/PA/SLG/etc). If someone wanted to formulate a rough number, then that would be awesome, as I'm too lazy. I'd be willing to bet that it's a rather high percentage of extant physical titles (even more so if one looks at Western releases only, vs including Japan/Asia). That could definitely make collecting for the Vita down the road an expensive proposition, if one wasn't 'on the train' during the releases and the Vita's actual relevance (if that was ever even a thing haha).

My YouTube Channel (Not in active use)

https://www.youtube....HellDestroyer77

My Complete Game Collectionhttps://drive.google...cpj5oe8EOPSQ1JQ

My Twitter:https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Complete DVD/Blu Collectionhttp://www.blu-ray.c...id.php?u=102540

#25694 aniousjoe   Mr. Ka-ra-teh CAGiversary!   824 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

A sky3ds doesnt need a certain firmware its plug in play card

Because it gets updated to the newest firmware...

Posted Image

#25695 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3157 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

997362.png

#25696 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10754 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

Sony Asia and Sony JPN will still continue to support the Vita

#25697 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10754 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:20 PM

The biggest question is if Sekai Project will ever release the rest of the Vita ports via LRG. Almost June and still no sign of a physical release of Rabi Ribi

#25698 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19850 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

The biggest question is if Sekai Project will ever release the rest of the Vita ports via LRG. Almost June and still no sign of a physical release of Rabi Ribi

Josh said Rabi is coming on twitter

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#25699 Markmallow  

Markmallow

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

This is my biggest concern. I was really looking forward to all those visual novels they announced a while back. I hope they can still make it happen, but I get the feeling they won’t be ready in time. :(

#25700 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10754 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

This is my biggest concern. I was really looking forward to all those visual novels they announced a while back. I hope they can still make it happen, but I get the feeling they won’t be ready in time. :(

And Sekai Project will use the end of the Vita Production as an excuse why they can't do Vita anymore.

#25701 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8490 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Sekai Project disappoints me more than not these days. Their translations are generally OK to below average, though I do like that they are treating their 18+ releases with respect now and releasing them alongside the all ages releases. I honestly think they're pretty understaffed, but I don't know for sure. All I know is I expect typos and somewhat subpar English in their new translations. Mangagamer is still my go to for visual novels, but I do like to see how others are doing. I honestly am not expecting their Vita releases other than Rabi-Rabi.

#25702 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10754 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:32 PM

LRG says they have 30 Vita titles planned for release

#25703 nagpo  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:56 PM

LRG says they have 30 Vita titles planned for release

Let's hope at least one of them is good.

Any devs wanting to release a vita game need to hurry!

Check out my Ebay profile!

For sale now:

Anime! Anime! ANIME!

#25704 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kusoge. Except Mine CAGiversary!   10754 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:16 AM

Let's hope at least one of them is good.

Any devs wanting to release a vita game need to hurry!

More than half of them will likely be around the quality of Home.

#25705 Thiah  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:42 AM

Anyone have a point of reference for how much an opened assumedly complete Hyperdimension Rebirth 1 Limited edition would cost?  Saw one used today locally for $700 but couldn't find any information online.  I know it's super rare but that's it.

#25706 Tweeg  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:59 AM

Anyone have a point of reference for how much an opened assumedly complete Hyperdimension Rebirth 1 Limited edition would cost?  Saw one used today locally for $700 but couldn't find any information online.  I know it's super rare but that's it.

The limited edition had a virtually stealth release through Amazon.com, and was limited to a mere one-thousand copies. Nice official pictures of what all was included on this other website.: http://collectorsedi...on-psv-americas

Only two copies have been sold through Ebay in the past ninety days. The oldest of those sold for $600 (+ $15 S&H) on April 17th. And the latest one to sell went for $714.95 (Free S&H) on May 1st.

Is it really worth that? Well, people are clearly willing to bite at that price, so perhaps so. Personally, if I was going to commit that much money to buying just one video game think I'd rather use it to buy a complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn). But then, I'm a decidedly Cheap Ass Gamer so even talking of spending that much loot on a single game is making me fell sick in my stomach.

#25707 Nothing371   Tomorrow King - Interloper Kai CAGiversary!   6799 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:03 AM

I'd sell it and buy 30 other Vita games instead.  But that's just me, being practical ;)

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

#25708 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   3799 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:07 AM

The limited edition had a virtually stealth release through Amazon.com, and was limited to a mere one-thousand copies. Nice official pictures of what all was included on this other website.: http://collectorsedi...on-psv-americas

Only two copies have been sold through Ebay in the past ninety days. The oldest of those sold for $600 (+ $15 S&H) on April 17th. And the latest one to sell went for $714.95 (Free S&H) on May 1st.

Is it really worth that? Well, people are clearly willing to bite at that price, so perhaps so. Personally, if I was going to commit that much money to buying just one video game think I'd rather use it to buy a complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn). But then, I'm a decidedly Cheap Ass Gamer so even talking of spending that much loot on a single game is making me fell sick in my stomach.

I still regret selling one of the two sealed copies I got shortly after release for $400, the guy who bought it tried to scam me and get a refund for it a month later too but Amazon wasn't having it, he tried so hard too.

NnZPC5V.png

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#25709 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6118 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

I still regret selling one of the two sealed copies I got shortly after release for $400, the guy who bought it tried to scam me and get a refund for it a month later too but Amazon wasn't having it, he tried so hard too.

Yeah, I sold my one copy for about the same shortly after I got it. Couldn't pass on $400 at the time for 10 seconds of work. I knew the price may have gone up over time, but it could have gone down, so I bought in at the time with no regrets.

"Listen y'all, if Chris of all people isn't complaining, then you know it's a non-issue." -tonyxvx

#25710 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8490 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:31 PM

It's an okay LE for sure, but not worth $700 or even $400. I'd just get the reguar edition and spend the money on more games, or a graphics card or anything lol.