* * * * - 44 votes

PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

Vita PS Vita

#28531 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5369 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:12 PM

Winterwolves games are pretty universally awful, so it’s kinda sad seeing remaining Vita card stock being wasted on them.

#28532 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10333 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:41 PM

Developer's for Sense say Vita experience not amazing and corners had to be cut for it to be manufactured physically. Probably both these releases should be easy passes.

Spoiler

Link

#28533 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   3667 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

Developer's for Sense say Vita experience not amazing and corners had to be cut for it to be manufactured physically. Probably both these releases should be easy passes.

Spoiler

Link

The best new I get out of this is that the end of Vita physicals is near.

While I'm glad some games received the physical treatment recently like Chasm, Habroxia 2, Halloween Forever, Xeno Crisis and Unmetal, there have been a number of bad releases in the Play Asia catalog as of late. I will be happy when it is finally over and done with.

This game scheduled for this week is just one example of games rushed to get a physical.

Skull Pirates is getting the same rush treatment and I'm sure the game will suffer greatly on vita.

#28534 Tothoro  

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:56 PM

The best new I get out of this is that the end of Vita physicals is near.

While I'm glad some games received the physical treatment recently like Chasm, Habroxia 2, Halloween Forever, Xeno Crisis and Unmetal, there have been a number of bad releases in the Play Asia catalog as of late. I will be happy when it is finally over and done with.

This game scheduled for this week is just one example of games rushed to get a physical.

Skull Pirates is getting the same rush treatment and I'm sure the game will suffer greatly on vita.

The Vita got me into physical collecting and it's also getting me out of it. When I started, it was a manageable catalog with mostly decent games and the obligatory Lego/sports ports. Now it's a swampy nightmare full of overinflated shovelware.

I can hardly fault them since everything seems to be selling, but I'm honestly relieved that the end is near.

#28535 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3429 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:45 PM

Vita for me when I started collecting was like the Dreamcast... sure a few sports and kids games but even most of them were pretty solid.  It was a quality library of something just over 200 games with most being cheaper than they retailed for.  Then LRG came around which seemed like a blessing but then turned into a curse.  Made collecting not worth the effort as the quality just wasn't there IMO from the first few games.  SO for me the vita collecting ended a long while back.  It kind of helped though that outside of a few mom&pop shops the vita games ended up not being truly retail releases.  Not sure about all, but the ones I checked used barcodes registered to some farm supply company or something.  So not legit retail barcodes.  So I could just chalk all of them up as not-retail releases and move on.  Though... really at that point I was burned out on ever collecting again.  Not that was likely ever going to be another modern system with a physical library as small as the Dreamcast or what the Vita was before LRG.

#28536 Equippt  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:47 PM

I actually think LRG's Vita library gets more flak than it deserves*. Most of their games fall in the solid-to-great range, and the regular retail Vita library has plenty of clunkers. I'd say the ratio of good games to bad games is probably about the same between the two groups.

*LRG deserves the flak they get for lots of other things, I'm strictly talking about the quality of their Vita games here.

#28537 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

I actually think LRG's Vita library gets more flak than it deserves*. Most of their games fall in the solid-to-great range, and the regular retail Vita library has plenty of clunkers. I'd say the ratio of good games to bad games is probably about the same between the two groups.

*LRG deserves the flak they get for lots of other things, I'm strictly talking about the quality of their Vita games here.

I kind of agree. I think eastasiasoft has had more stinkers for Vita than LRG had. My complaint is that I get physical releases for two reasons: 1) I want to keep a game with less risk of losing it over a digital license or memory device failure, and 2) I want to save space on my memory devices. So many of these physical releases, even early on for LRG, have a pittance of a file size so the latter doesn't make much sense to me.

I've gotten inadvertently close to getting a full US DC collection, but even I can't bring myself to get games like ECW wrestling and the random Konami ESPN sports games (the Disney games are surprisingly good). It's easier for Dreamcast since indie releases never had ESRB ratings like most of LRG's Vita releases though. So I just get which ones I want to own/play and don't bothering getting the rest (I'm looking at you JoshProd). That's how any system I own.

But, because I like to flaunt it any chance I get, I do have a complete US NGPC collection with extras like UK 'Evolution' and 'Cotton,' etc. SO NOBODY START RELEASING MORE NGPC GAMES PHYSICALLY.

Actually, I take that back.

#28538 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1269 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:13 PM

I kind of agree. I think eastasiasoft has had more stinkers for Vita than LRG had. My complaint is that I get physical releases for two reasons: 1) I want to keep a game with less risk of losing it over a digital license or memory device failure, and 2) I want to save space on my memory devices. So many of these physical releases, even early on for LRG, have a pittance of a file size so the latter doesn't make much sense to me.

I've gotten inadvertently close to getting a full US DC collection, but even I can't bring myself to get games like ECW wrestling and the random Konami ESPN sports games (the Disney games are surprisingly good). It's easier for Dreamcast since indie releases never had ESRB ratings like most of LRG's Vita releases though. So I just get which ones I want to own/play and don't bothering getting the rest (I'm looking at you JoshProd). That's how any system I own.

But, because I like to flaunt it any chance I get, I do have a complete US NGPC collection with extras like UK 'Evolution' and 'Cotton,' etc. SO NOBODY START RELEASING MORE NGPC GAMES PHYSICALLY.

I had those two NGPC games too.. Sold both for about $800 each a year or two ago. Really helpful for some home stuff I needed to solve, but I do wonder if I'll be kicking myself in the future haha. They were neat collectibles.

#28539 Equippt  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:29 PM

Lol my US NGPC collection is at 25/32, and it's really the last platform I'm actively collecting for. That thing is great.

#28540 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:46 PM

I had those two NGPC games too.. Sold both for about $800 each a year or two ago. Really helpful for some home stuff I needed to solve, but I do wonder if I'll be kicking myself in the future haha. They were neat collectibles.

Nice. That's often a thought of mine too, because I think they'll only be harder to get IE more expensive. But sometimes, there's no choice.

#28541 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:52 PM

Lol my US NGPC collection is at 25/32, and it's really the last platform I'm actively collecting for. That thing is great.

So close! I did my NGPC collection in the mid-00s, so I got the vast majority of the games complete for very little (I paid $70 for 'Evolution' and I think that's the most I paid for any NGPC game. I still play my NGPC, and am hoping a better backlit screen mod is figured out. The current one doesn't match the original's screen size, and the front lit mod I have (which is rather old now) isn't very bright.

#28542 Equippt  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

So close! I did my NGPC collection in the mid-00s, so I got the vast majority of the games complete for very little (I paid $70 for 'Evolution' and I think that's the most I paid for any NGPC game. I still play my NGPC, and am hoping a better backlit screen mod is figured out. The current one doesn't match the original's screen size, and the front lit mod I have (which is rather old now) isn't very bright.

BennVenn is working on a full size screen, but I haven't heard any updates about it since before the holidays. Definitely grabbing one once they're ready.

#28543 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   3699 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:26 PM

I really wish I hadn't sold my NGPC game collection when I was flat broke a few years back.  Still have two systems but only 1 game left. 

#28544 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:30 PM

BennVenn is working on a full size screen, but I haven't heard any updates about it since before the holidays. Definitely grabbing one once they're ready.

I'll definitely have to keep an eye out. Thanks!

#28545 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7680 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:37 PM

I loved the NGPC and I had a few different models over the years, as well as a decent sized game collection for it. I bought most of my games at retail, with only a few higher than retail buys, but nothing crazy, or at least that's how I remember it. LOL But like most things, I sold that all off years ago and I didn't get anywhere near the prices listed here, but I sold my stuff long before demand ever reached that level I suppose.

#28546 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:38 AM

It was a tough system to gauge, especially since people weren't into collecting games like they are now. I just always loved the system, and would link it to my Dreamcast (I still have that cable). I brought it over my PSP to school as my handheld of choice. I had a second, slim model at one point too, but sold it (for the going rate at the time) to quick get cash to pay off an auto bill. I still regret that. 

#28547 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1269 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

Even if your batteries were dead that thumbstick was still fun to click.

#28548 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3429 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:39 PM

I never got into the NGPC... wasn't a fan of the library it had at all.  I was more into the GB/GBC/GBA for handheld gaming at that time... and eventually got a game gear and dug into that library.  Ended up not really loving the GG for the long haul as only a few select games even had saves built into the cartridge... which made playing the same game feel tedious.  Still there were some gems on the ole GG... but much better to play those games with other hardware.  Same for Atari Lynx which I never owned but played through the library, including the unreleased games.

#28549 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:47 PM

I never got into the NGPC... wasn't a fan of the library it had at all.  I was more into the GB/GBC/GBA for handheld gaming at that time... and eventually got a game gear and dug into that library.  Ended up not really loving the GG for the long haul as only a few select games even had saves built into the cartridge... which made playing the same game feel tedious.  Still there were some gems on the ole GG... but much better to play those games with other hardware.  Same for Atari Lynx which I never owned but played through the library, including the unreleased games.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's definitely a Neo Geo product; heavy on fighters and shooters, with a few cool, arcade sports games. But goddamn if 'Cardfighters' Clash' is still one of my favorite games ever. 'Sonic Pocket Adventure' is really great too.

#28550 Equippt  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

I never got into the NGPC... wasn't a fan of the library it had at all. I was more into the GB/GBC/GBA for handheld gaming at that time... and eventually got a game gear and dug into that library. Ended up not really loving the GG for the long haul as only a few select games even had saves built into the cartridge... which made playing the same game feel tedious. Still there were some gems on the ole GG... but much better to play those games with other hardware. Same for Atari Lynx which I never owned but played through the library, including the unreleased games.

Your comment about Game Gear and Lynx games being more fun to play on alternate hardware is spot on. The Lynx is incredible for its ambition, but actually using one is cumbersome at best. The GBA and the NGPC are both great, but not having a backlight is a huge bummer. Handhelds didn't truly figure it all out until the AGS101/DS/PSP days.

#28551 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:48 PM

I picked up both Lynx collections for the Evercade, and have enjoyed trying the games out. It's the first time I've ever played them.

It's a bit of a bummer, and this relates back to Vita, that just as handhelds were really hitting their stride with tech that the market has mostly evaporated with the exception of Switch. It makes sense, but is still a bummer. But even then, I look at that as more of a portable console rather than a handheld that can be hooked to the TV.

#28552 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7680 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:08 PM

Your comment about Game Gear and Lynx games being more fun to play on alternate hardware is spot on. The Lynx is incredible for its ambition, but actually using one is cumbersome at best. The GBA and the NGPC are both great, but not having a backlight is a huge bummer. Handhelds didn't truly figure it all out until the AGS101/DS/PSP days.

Yeah, I owned most portables at one point or another, and being able to play them elsewhere is probably why I no longer own any of those earlier units. I've found so much "new" life in many of those older titles, as having a better image, controls, sound, etc is a godsend for sure.

I picked up both Lynx collections for the Evercade, and have enjoyed trying the games out. It's the first time I've ever played them.

It's a bit of a bummer, and this relates back to Vita, that just as handhelds were really hitting their stride with tech that the market has mostly evaporated with the exception of Switch. It makes sense, but is still a bummer. But even then, I look at that as more of a portable console rather than a handheld that can be hooked to the TV.

The NGPC will always be one of my favs of the period, for no other reason the the "micro switch" style controller, as it allowed for all those fighting games to be played like never before. One of these days I'll need to make a top 10 list of handhelds, as I'm curious were I would rate some of these. While "N" and Sony would probably command the top 5, 6 thru 10 would be were the hard choices would need to be made for sure.

#28553 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3429 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 January 2021 - 09:57 PM

I have two of those gba sp's with the "brighter backlit screen" (AGS101).   But before this it took me and a crew of my friends on IGN at the time to import frontlights and show it could be done... with one of the guys getting his frontlight kit to market and sent me one as it was better than what I had imported from france.  Many people at that time used my images of the gba circuit board to figure much of that out.  I still have my original arctic white gba with the afterburner kit installed.  That was partly my contribution to the world of gaming and Nintendo reps watched (as IGN mods kept me and informed) and we posted most everything publicly.  Without a doubt the SP with frontlight was born from all of that effort.  Good times righting the wrongs of the game industry.

#28554 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1252 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:06 PM

ON SALE NOW

#28555 Darshminder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   404 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Darshminder

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:36 PM

Is Sense Vita really sold out already!?

#28556 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4257 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:42 PM

Was limited to 800 copies.

#28557 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1252 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:51 PM

you can still get it here 

SENSE: A CYBERPUNK GHOST STORY [LIMITED EDITION] - PS VITA [PLAY EXCLUSIVES] (FREE SHIPPING) | VIDEOGAMESPLUS.CA | Home for the Hardcore Gamer!

#28558 Darshminder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   404 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Darshminder

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:58 PM

you can still get it here
SENSE: A CYBERPUNK GHOST STORY [LIMITED EDITION] - PS VITA [PLAY EXCLUSIVES] (FREE SHIPPING) | VIDEOGAMESPLUS.CA | Home for the Hardcore Gamer!

Awesome, thank you! I was just about to post this follow-up after finding their announcement in my email.

#28559 Tweeg  

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, PA's quantities of Sense sold out fast. The game has had decent hype ever since the KS, and I think enough people respected the full disclosure that the game doesn't run optimally on the Vita that they still wanted it. I'm already paid up for a copy via KS so didn't mess with buying it from PA today.

Had both models of the Atari Lynx at one point, but sold the original model as the battery life of the original made Game Gear feel like a energy efficient system. The revised Lynx has improved battery life as well as a much nicer overall design. The downside though was that the original model was cleverly designed to be playable by both Left and Right handed people, a innovation I wish had continued seeing as I am left handed. Have never owned many Lynx games though as the system was a rarity even in it's time as a current-gen system, believe I own all of four games for it (all in storage presently).

Sold off all but two of my NGPCs in 2019 to pay bills. Kept my original CIB (US) released system and one JP revised model. It was a system I wanted to shoot for owning all the domestic games for, but that mess with the release of Faselei and near immediate removal of the system and all games from the market screwed that plan up. Next thing you knew all the NGPC games were commanding top dollar. To this day I only own 12 of the 32 US releases, with a mere three of those being CIB. Did pick up the DC link cable a about four years ago cheap, so that's something.

Dreamcast was the first console I made a serious effort at attempting to own all of the domestic releases for, and that served as my proving grounds of sorts for what not to do if you want to own all the games released for a system. Still missing 22 (US) games for the system because I went nuts collecting for it and ended up side-tracking with buying up imports. And when I say I got side-tracked buying imports, I mean to the tune of 133 imported titles. I could have easily bought those other 22 games a couple of times over during that time frame and am now kicking myself as those remaining titles are some of the rarest / highest demand games on the Dreamcast, and now command absurd money.

Like I said, learned my lesson on what not to do when trying to 100% a game library for a system with Dreamcast. Vita has thrown me off because of this insanity with Nicalis and the two games we all know they're sitting on that a few copies of leaked out of Sony into the open market. Are they commercial releases? No, not yet, and maybe not ever. But do they exist? Clearly.

And will likewise chime in my disdain for the way in which LRG has tragically forever changed the physical release game market. It was fun, at first, and then it just became a stressful headache. I can't see myself going out of the way to try collecting games for any of the now modern consoles aside from Vita, and only still with the Vita because I'm so heavily invested in it and determined to see this thru to the bitter end.

#28560 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1370 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:14 PM

You could flip the Lynx 2 to he right/left handed as well.