* * * * - 44 votes

PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

Vita PS Vita

#29131 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   542 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 09 March 2022 - 10:44 PM

Sadly, I think the 3rd party deal tracker sites are the only way to see these. Sony has removed anything to do with Vita from their web page. l saw this on psprices. I don't think dekudeals tracks Vita. I know there are others, but not sure of the site names.

#29132 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1807 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 March 2022 - 01:01 AM

this may help 

All discounts for PlayStation Vita • Page 1 of 3 • PSprices USA

#29133 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   542 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:32 PM

Well, Sony just slapped us in the face again. If you were using a PS3 to store your Vita games (content management) you can no longer transfer your games and saves back to your Vita. Side loading is also dead on those "gray" games you could not download to your Vita directly. but would work if transfered. I get stuff is not endlessly supported, but a warning would have been nice...

#29134 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   4002 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:42 PM

Well, Sony just slapped us in the face again. If you were using a PS3 to store your Vita games (content management) you can no longer transfer your games and saves back to your Vita. Side loading is also dead on those "gray" games you could not download to your Vita directly. but would work if transfered. I get stuff is not endlessly supported, but a warning would have been nice...

Well that kind of stinks so I'm glad I have already loaded those few games that I cannot download directly from PSP and PS1 on my vita.

#29135 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1970 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:25 PM

WTF Sony?!?  This is getting Fuck ridiculous.  There was no good reason for them to do this other than they're activately trying to kill anything digital for the Vita.

#29136 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   542 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:36 PM

Well that kind of stinks so I'm glad I have already loaded those few games that I cannot download directly from PSP and PS1 on my vita.

I think I have all but one loaded, but if you have a memory card go belly up you cannot get some of your games back.

#29137 nightc1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4121 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:37 PM

Wow this sucks.   I'm kind of glad I've abandoned ship from Sony for digital purchases with the PS4 and PS5.  Still burns though to see the vita knocked down yet another peg from my purchases.

#29138 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   4002 Posts   Joined 18.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:46 PM

I think I have all but one loaded, but if you have a memory card go belly up you cannot get some of your games back.

While that is true I do own physical copies of these two games on PSP and PS1 (Gradius Collection and Castlevania Chronicles) and I still have both consoles in storage. I also have a hacked PSPGO and I can just put them on it.  I might actually have those games on it currently. I need to charge my PSPGO. There are ways around Sony's killing of the services.

I bought these digital for Vita for the convenience and because they are some of my old favorites.

#29139 Sporkis   Barley Legal CAGiversary!   1970 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:16 PM

I haven't updated the firmware in my Vita for ages now.  Guess I should look to see if it can be repurposed to sail the high seas as this move leaves some of the games I legitimately bought unusable now.  And another reason added to the heavily stack deck why I'm tired of modern console video gaming & should just drop out of it.

#29140 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   542 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:44 AM

I haven't updated the firmware in my Vita for ages now. Guess I should look to see if it can be repurposed to sail the high seas as this move leaves some of the games I legitimately bought unusable now. And another reason added to the heavily stack deck why I'm tired of modern console video gaming & should just drop out of it.

That is my line of thought at the moment. I enjoy collecting games, but physical games are turning into unlock keys and getting locked out of paid digital content is just obnoxious.

#29141 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   7995 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 14 May 2022 - 12:46 AM

I checked and my Vita memory card got corrupted. All my digital titles are gone.

#29142 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1500 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 14 May 2022 - 01:45 AM

I checked and my Vita memory card got corrupted. All my digital titles are gone.

T_T This is painful to read, I'm sorry. Dealing with the Vita download list is an absolute nightmare.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment going around though - Sony is pretty bad about making managing digital content easy and it has made me not invest heavily in games on their modern platforms after how much time and energy their designs have cost me on PS3/Vita.

If you're going to go digital your best bet is probably Steam unless you want the game to be disposable. Kudos to Microsoft for still keeping Xbox 360 online and going so far, though. Even Steam may not last forever though just... Probably longer than 'a couple generations' from the console makers, anyway. I'm not trying to start a PC/console war though, each platform has its own other advantages/disadvantages, but it just seems like if you have digital content to manage, Steam makes your life the easiest. I say this as someone that would prefer to be a console player, too.

Physical becoming an unlock key is depressing for sure. As games need patches or downloads more and more you're usually just introducing another point of failure (I recently opened up a Puzzle and Dragons Z cartridge from the shrinkwrap for 3DS only to find it was a bad cartridge.. Discs rot, things die). It has advantages like a secondhand market, in general, but mostly when a game is delisted or rights expire you can still find physical copies. The crappy thing about that then is that unless you're seeing games as potential investments, that really means you are hoping other people have a physical copy of a game you might want in the future. It's just a shitty system for people that want to buy a game and play it when they want to buy it and play it. Digital was supposed to fix that ("no more sold out! There's always a copy!"), but it has just made it broken in a different way.

It's nice that as the digital stores close down, they do keep the option to download something you already purchased going (like Nintendo plans to do with WiiU/3DS), but it doesn't mean anything if downloading your purchase again is a giant PITA like it is on PS3/Vita.

#29143 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 14 May 2022 - 11:33 AM

While it is great they’re keeping 360 online, Microsoft might be the biggest offender of the disc as an unlock key. Their last 3 major releases on disc aren’t even complete on the disc. Flight Sim, Forza Horizon, and Halo Infinite all require downloads even to play single player offline.

They’re clearly moving back toward their “always online” strategy but just aren’t being as blatant about it this time around and are more of an incentivizing approach with Game Pass. Which is a real bummer because we already saw last week what happens to a lot of their even single-player games when they have a service outage.

#29144 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   6238 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2022 - 06:22 PM

While in general I’m against alarmism about modern trends in pretty much anything, most of my gaming for over a year now has been done on my modded PSP, I’ve only bought one game at about the time of release in the past couple years, and maybe that does say something.

I mean, it could just say that a modded PSP is an amazing retro gaming machine, to be fair.

#29145 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1500 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 14 May 2022 - 06:28 PM

While it is great they’re keeping 360 online, Microsoft might be the biggest offender of the disc as an unlock key. Their last 3 major releases on disc aren’t even complete on the disc. Flight Sim, Forza Horizon, and Halo Infinite all require downloads even to play single player offline.

They’re clearly moving back toward their “always online” strategy but just aren’t being as blatant about it this time around and are more of an incentivizing approach with Game Pass. Which is a real bummer because we already saw last week what happens to a lot of their even single-player games when they have a service outage.

This is true. Any game that does "Smart Delivery" only contains the Xbox One content on disc, and has to do a one-time online check-in to get the Series X/S version to download. Similar to how the backwards compatible games use the disc as a key and download a compatibility layer wrapped version of the game. I was a ZuneHD user so I know what it's like to be into a Microsoft product and be abandoned :P Thankfully the 10 free songs per month you got from the music subscription were DRM-free MP3's, so those still work. They try sometimes.

#29146 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 14 May 2022 - 07:19 PM

While in general I’m against alarmism about modern trends in pretty much anything, most of my gaming for over a year now has been done on my modded PSP, I’ve only bought one game at about the time of release in the past couple years, and maybe that does say something.

I mean, it could just say that a modded PSP is an amazing retro gaming machine, to be fair.

Outside of Switch, my purchasing has slowed down considerably as well. He aforementioned downloads required for Halo, Flight Sim, and Forza all killed my interest in purchasing those. Full disclosure, I do have Game Pass (I did the conversion trick and other deals a while ago to basically get 3 years for $100) but I’m not renewing when it comes up. The continuous move toward always online/live feature/games as a service is just a bummer. If I decide I want to play a game 5 years from now, I don’t want to have to figure out if I can still access it, or if it’s even still available, or what state it’s in.

#29147 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5709 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:22 PM

I don't quite understand what the new update for Vita does?

Let's say I have a Vita TV and/or a PS3 console as a back up in m closet.  Will I be able to bring my existing account to a system I have never used before?

#29148 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:25 PM

Yes, you can sign in to your existing account. You will not be able to create a new account.

#29149 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   4263 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:28 PM

Out of curiosity, does the Vita/PC backup still work?  I know I used that at one point or another and may just dump all of my PSOne and PSP games onto my PC for backup.  

Edit: I did just validate that this still works.

http://cma.dl.playst...n/en/index.html

It's not great nor elegant, but it will let you back up the PSOne/PSP/Vita software you have bought onto your PC.  

#29150 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4342 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:06 PM

What frustrates me the most is dealing with data caps. I like to have the discs so I can just install the game from that instead of re-downloading. When the discs doesn't even have the data on it, it really becomes worthless to me.

1TB per month sounds like plenty, until you have a house with 2 adults working from home plus 2 kids who stream and play games in the evenings.

#29151 NotNewHere  

NotNewHere

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:19 PM

All the more reason to keep an extra on side to modify or jailbreak. As much as I want to support Sony,they are just backhanding legit buyers who simply want to enjoy purchases from digital.

#29152 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   542 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 17 May 2022 - 03:40 PM

Out of curiosity, does the Vita/PC backup still work? I know I used that at one point or another and may just dump all of my PSOne and PSP games onto my PC for backup.

Edit: I did just validate that this still works.

http://cma.dl.playst...n/en/index.html
It's not great nor elegant, but it will let you back up the PSOne/PSP/Vita software you have bought onto your PC.

I think the content needs to already be on the Vita for this to work. Can you direct download to the PC with this? I have a capcom collection that cannot direct download to Vita that is on my PS3 that I suspect is now dead.

#29153 psunami   0118999881999119725.....3 CAGiversary!   4263 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 May 2022 - 03:43 PM

I think the content needs to already be on the Vita for this to work. Can you direct download to the PC with this? I have a capcom collection that cannot direct download to Vita that is on my PS3 that I suspect is now dead.

Yeah, sadly I think you're right about that.  This is just something where you can back up what you already have... which is a bummer.  

#29154 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1971 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2022 - 12:27 AM

Sony has a (partial) solution for anyone who's purchased PSP and PSOne games in the past.

https://blog.playsta...in-the-service/

Also, players who have previously purchased the digital version of select games from the original PlayStation and PSP generation will not have to make a separate purchase or sign up to PlayStation Plus to play these titles on PS4 or PS5. When these titles are released for PS4 and PS5, players can head to PlayStation Store and download a version for the consoles at no extra cost if they already own the digital version of the title. Some of the titles will also be available for individual purchase. 

It ain't perfect, but it's something. Sadly, Vita games are left out in the cold.

#29155 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   542 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 18 May 2022 - 01:52 AM

if the end of all of this is being able to play my PS1 games on the ps4/5, I will be okay with the changes.

#29156 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24691 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2022 - 02:41 AM

Sony has a (partial) solution for anyone who's purchased PSP and PSOne games in the past.

https://blog.playsta...in-the-service/

It ain't perfect, but it's something. Sadly, Vita games are left out in the cold.

Interesting... though I wonder why it says "select" games. Are they saying select because it'll only be for PS1 games that make their way to the PS4/5 store or because even if PS1 games are on the PS4/5 store, only a select number will qualify for download without re-purchase? 

#29157 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1500 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 18 May 2022 - 03:31 AM

Interesting... though I wonder why it says "select" games. Are they saying select because it'll only be for PS1 games that make their way to the PS4/5 store or because even if PS1 games are on the PS4/5 store, only a select number will qualify for download without re-purchase? 

I'm guessing it means there will be games that don't make it at all, not just that they have to be repurchased. Sounds like messy licensing.

We'll have to wait and see though, it's all just speculation until then.

#29158 elessar123  

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:43 PM

^ That was my guess too

Basically read to me like any game that comes to the service, you'll have access to if you bought it before. But it doesn't mean you can play all your past purchases.

#29159 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1971 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:30 PM

It'll be like Xbox One backward compatibility... you'll just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best possible outcome. I'm hoping they'll include Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX for PSP, as it was the best, most complete version of the game. The arcade version on the Anniversary collection is severely lacking in characters and features, and comes up short next to any of the home ports.