Peggle 2 - Now on both Xbox One and Xbox 360! - $11.99

Until you told me you didn't have it, I had been under the impression that this game was available at launch.

I'd definitely like to get the game. If only I had an Xbox One.

Instant buy. I wonder if there will be social challenges built in.
Is anyone else really glad to see the price is not the traditional pricing structure of the past. I had to do a double take when I read $11.99. Hope more games continue this trend.

I had major nelson as followed friend and saw his gameclip, which is funny because after its shared you can go to that gameclip's hub and add Peggle 2 to your tabs, so I'm quite ready for the release ;) Only 2 gigs I believe.

Instant buy. I wonder if there will be social challenges built in.
Is anyone else really glad to see the price is not the traditional pricing structure of the past. I had to do a double take when I read $11.99. Hope more games continue this trend.
It does have one Xbox One Challenge right now for playing a certain number of multiplayer matches. The challenge ends on the 31st, I believe.

Multiplayer options at launch are private game and smart match. The latter looks for a multiplayer opponent while you continue to play campaign or whatever. Supposedly they will be adding local multiplayer in the future but the dev was kind of vague about that when asked.

Been playing it all morning, the 3 additional challenges for each level are somewhat tough.  More Peggle which is definitely not a bad thing!

Bought. Is it weird that I mentally tried to convert the real $ that MS now uses to points? I'm so used to going the other direction...  :dunce:

Theres no local vs/co-op or leaderboards.

Really EA? REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY?

Other then that It's fucking Peggle and that's awesome.

I haven't played Peggle 1, so this is kind of lost on me. But for $12 and with all this hype, what the hell. Just gotta get some ms credit.

Haha I went back to Peggle Nights and looked at all the challenges I still need to do to get the achievement and was like ah shit I am not ready for Peggle 2. Favorable reviews so that's good and yeah hopefully Popcap's traditional $20 for their games is over?

Peggle 2 is getting "duel mode" in the future for free. It will allow for same system vs as well as vs online on the same board. Sweet.

So there goes my gripe of local co-op gone, at least down the road.

So basically lack of leaderboards is my only current complaint for this game.

Got through the main story modes last night. Now for the challenging part - trials and hitting the optional objectives. Damn, I love Peggle!

Is there a demo for this? I heard there is but I can't find it. Not even by bin searching for it.
Didn't know that, apparently there is a lack of demos for the Xbox One right now, wow that's a surprisingly low number of games with a demo (FIFA, NBA, Zoo Tycoon & Kinect Sports).

Well I think you'll like it because Peggle is crack lol. Popcap makes great games.\

Video Demo from the grumpy Giant Bombs squad lol

http://youtu.be/yAsrVu_TaJk

How dare they mock skillful Peggle players lol.

Here's a little bit more optimistic perspective from the AH guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_shKtUIz8

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review Paul, I would say the Trials are the new challenge modes where with that one objective it let's you hone your Peggle skills or discover new ones.

Duel mode was great local and with a friend online. I'd say the game is now easily a 9/10 for me.

Oh apparently we have DLC, Windy the Fairy is new and a $1.99 expansion/new character.

http://youtu.be/n3ybds5Mj4E
Yeah, I would just buy it and do an article but EA has promised a review code. They just don't have them yet. I hope the codes actually come in next week!

So what's the price on 360?
Same price as the X1 version, at least in the US.

As stated in another thread this is basically the X1 version with a few differences.

- Leaderboards are present in the 360 version. You can view your scores vs your friends. (I don't know why this isn't on the X1, but whatever)

- The first DLC is not out yet.

- Looks almost the same as the X1 version, but the FPS takes a bit hit. I thought 60fps vs 30fps but it might not be that drastic.

Same price as the X1 version, at least in the US.

As stated in another thread this is basically the X1 version with a few differences.

- Leaderboards are present in the 360 version. You can view your scores vs your friends. (I don't know why this isn't on the X1, but whatever)

- The first DLC is not out yet.

- Looks almost the same as the X1 version, but the FPS takes a bit hit. I thought 60fps vs 30fps but it might not be that drastic.
I think the 360 version runs at a lower resolution too. Its file size is much smaller, so the difference has to come from either the art assets or audio.

BTW, no review code for the DLC so I'll just buy it on my own without reviewing it sometime.

I play Peggle 1 multiplayer all the time. I tried the demo for Peggle 2 and was not impressed at all. I still bought the full game, thinking "how could more Peggle be bad?"

Well, I am not impressed with it at all. Gameplay is slower, the catchy music is gone, and there are only 5 characters? What? One of them is a returning character, and another has an extremely similar power to the dragon from Peggle 1. The levels are bland and uninspired. What is fun about this game? I see everyone raving about it, reviews are good, so what am I missing? 

Guess it depends on if you enjoy Peggle or not because more Peggle is a win in my book. Also what platform are you playing the sequel on?

Guess it depends on if you enjoy Peggle or not because more Peggle is a win in my book. Also what platform are you playing the sequel on?
Playing on 360. I still play Peggle 1 all the time, mainly local multiplayer with friends. We play at least once a week. I love Peggle, and was extremely excited for Peggle 2 to come out. It just feels like a step backward.

I play Peggle 1 multiplayer all the time. I tried the demo for Peggle 2 and was not impressed at all. I still bought the full game, thinking "how could more Peggle be bad?"

Well, I am not impressed with it at all. Gameplay is slower, the catchy music is gone, and there are only 5 characters? What? One of them is a returning character, and another has an extremely similar power to the dragon from Peggle 1. The levels are bland and uninspired. What is fun about this game? I see everyone raving about it, reviews are good, so what am I missing?
I can't imagine liking the first game's music better, but everything's subjective. True that it only has five characters though. At least you can get a sixth one and new levels for $2, whenever the DLC comes to 360. The levels are certainly not any worse in 2 IMO.

I can't imagine liking the first game's music better, but everything's subjective. True that it only has five characters though. At least you can get a sixth one and new levels for $2, whenever the DLC comes to 360. The levels are certainly not any worse in 2 IMO.
I agree on the music. The Peggle 2 score is great and was fully orchestrated. The pokey electronic music on Peggle 1 is fine but that's totally a subjective thing there.

I just wish the Xbox One version had leaderboard support. I don't quite understand why they can't implement that.

Really? I guess I'm the only one who prefers the funky Peggle 1 music. I also hate that the music switches every time the character changes in multiplayer - you can't get into a groove because the music is constantly changing! And I hate how I have to sit through the stupid fanfare the characters like to go through after a shot, over and over and over again. What a waste of time.

I've given Peggle 2 some more play time. Now that I've seen the later levels, I'll say that I guess they are on an even field with the levels of the first game. But, overall, I still don't like the game. The biggest dealbreaker for me is the small, small cast of characters. But there are so many little things, too. I mentioned some above, but I always find something that bothers me. Scores being grayed-out in multiplayer when the person isn't taking a shot mean that sometimes, the opponent's score is unseen if it is blending with the background.

Also, there's no ERRRNNT when you fail to hit an orange. AND, what's with the mandatory shot-clock? If I'm playing with friends locally and we're doing other things, it forces us to hurry up and finish the game. Is there a way to turn this off? I only saw that it could be extended to 30 seconds, which is still bad. 

I don't know. Could I really be the only one to hate this game? It seems that there could have been so much more to this. 

I'm pretty sure the limited cast is to leave the door open for DLC as we already saw with the first pack.  You can tell there is room for double the characters on the character select screen.  I do agree the game does feel slower than the original, but the new game is still great.  I like the music themed after each character, but yeah maybe they should have a setting so you can play a specific one if it's preferred as well as options to customize the game like you mentioned disabling the shot clock etc.

I don't know. Could I really be the only one to hate this game? It seems that there could have been so much more to this.
It comes down to you having overly specific expectations from Peggle 2. You basically want it to be Peggle 1 and are unhappy with any changes, most of which (like the vastly expanded focus on music and sound) are commonly considered to be improvements.

Again I grant you that 2 has less Peggle masters, the reason obviously being that the sequel's characters actually have to be animated and have their own music and sound effects this time out. In the first game they just had to come up with an utterly hideous character design and a power, and that was it.

But why does it matter that there are half as many masters? The masters provide a smidge of variety with their powers but that's such a tiny part of the Peggle gameplay experience - hence nobody else feeling much disappointment at the reduced number of them in part 2. Your complaint is like hating Super Mario World because it doesn't have the raccoon, frog, tanuki, and hammer suits.

I love the first game as well - bought it on PC, DS, and 360. But however much you love a game, it's unreasonable to expect the sequel to be a slavish recreation of the preceding game. The core gameplay is the same and the production values are better; that's all most fans want or need. Now Plants vs. Zombies 2, that's a game that goes off the rails due to its awful and erratic difficulty (AND truly inferior music IMO)...

I don't think it is entirely fair to say that I'm unhappy with any changes or that I had overly specific expectations. I do like a handful of things about it, such as the trials, optional objectives, character sound profiles, etc.  The things I'm complaining about are not improvements (with the exception of music, which is, as you've said, subjective). They take away from Peggle 1's momentum for no reason. 

-a smaller cast (possibly to cash in with DLC characters later) is not an improvement 

-slower, clunkier gameplay (shot lag, poor design choices already mentioned) is not an improvement

These aren't just changes, but steps backward, and that's why I am unsatisfied with Peggle 2. 

First you say that there are less masters because there is a greater focus on them this time around (costumes, animations, sounds). But then you go on to say that the masters only provide a smidge of variety and that they're a tiny part of the Peggle experience. So why, then, are they given so much more attention this time around? Given more screen real-estate? And why do I have to sit through the goat chatterings or flashing teddy-bear lightning over and over again? 

At the core, people love Peggle because of the gameplay. So, at the core, what's the point of choosing a character? For the power they provide! Peggle 2 offers less characters, but offers things such as costumes and animations. So this means that gameplay-wise, Peggle 2 offers much less variety and choice and instead gives us filler and fluff. 

Are you honestly happy with the direction they took regarding masters? You'd rather have costumes and animations on an underwhelming cast, instead of more playable characters? For me, the only likable things about the cast include Berg and Luna's powers and the idea that Jeff (?) is The Dude from The Big Lebowski. 

I hope that this doesn't come off as argumentative - I'm just trying to get my points across. I think that they're valid!

I don't expect Peggle 2 to be Peggle 1, but I do expect a sequel to meet or exceed the first game. Peggle 2 takes steps backward on some mechanics and the amount of playable characters. 

Still no X1 leaderboards. So disappointing! I emailed Pop Cap about it and got the typical we didn't read what you asked response:

We are unable to provide any information on specific upcoming features, but we're hard at work on lots of exciting projects! Thanks for your enthusiasm for our games--it is wonderful to know our players are excited about what's to come
As far as I know the X1 version is the only one without leaderboards.

bread's done
Back