Clear skins with the Mario & Luigi 3DS

jedolley

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I usually opt for clear "protection" skins like Best Skins Ever for my devices instead of cases. Usually it's not an issue, but I'm thinking of getting the Mario & Luigi 3DS XL and was wondering how the artwork is on the device? Is it part of the shell or is it painted on? Does it appear that it could be scratched off or such? The reason I ask is because I wonder if a skin like Best Skins Ever could remove part of the art upon removal. I'm trying to think back to all the devices I have ever applied this on, and I don't think it's been a problem in the past, but it got me thinking.

Probably a good idea, the skins I use really save from scratches.  I put a grip on too and that TOTALLY saved my XL from a accidental drop, but I had to get another grip.  Not a big deal since it was $6 shipped on ebay.  MUCH cheaper than a new XL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a good idea, the skins I use really save from scratches. I put a grip on too and that TOTALLY saved my XL from a accidental drop, but I had to get another grip. Not a big deal since it was $6 shipped on ebay. MUCH cheaper than a new XL.
When you say grip do you mean the handle type thing or is it a case that goes over it? I recently got a clear case for my Pikachu XL but it's kind of bulky so I was considering getting this but I'm afraid of my little ones getting to it and dropping it.

Bestskinsever or InvisibleSHIELD would never take the artwork off of a Nintendo product.  Combine the fact that Nintendo makes the highest quality products with the skins being atypical "stickers", it will remove just fine, especially if you spritz some water solution on/in it during the removal process.

I just finished putting an outer InvisibleSHIELD on my Zelda XL the other night, it looks absolutely stunning now that it has a gloss finish instead of the factory matte.  I usually go with BSE, but ZAGG was 1/2 off for Black Friday weekend ($12.49 shipped for 3DSXL maximum coverage).

I didn't even bother trying to put it on either screen, though, as the touch and 3D both have issues with ZAGG/BSE.  I used the screen shield to custom-cut shields for my watch and MP3 player.

Overall from past experience, I like BSE more so than ZAGG, but supposedly they're the exact same sans the lifetime warranty.  It probably has a lot to do with temperature/season when applying it.  My ZAGG is still settling after 2 days.

Can I get a link to the clear Hori TPU?

Bestskinsever or InvisibleSHIELD would never take the artwork off of a Nintendo product. Combine the fact that Nintendo makes the highest quality products with the skins being atypical "stickers", it will remove just fine, especially if you spritz some water solution on/in it during the removal process.

I just finished putting an outer InvisibleSHIELD on my Zelda XL the other night, it looks absolutely stunning now that it has a gloss finish instead of the factory matte. I usually go with BSE, but ZAGG was 1/2 off for Black Friday weekend ($12.49 shipped for 3DSXL maximum coverage).

I didn't even bother trying to put it on either screen, though, as the touch and 3D both have issues with ZAGG/BSE. I used the screen shield to custom-cut shields for my watch and MP3 player.

Overall from past experience, I like BSE more so than ZAGG, but supposedly they're the exact same sans the lifetime warranty. It probably has a lot to do with temperature/season when applying it. My ZAGG is still settling after 2 days.

Can I get a link to the clear Hori TPU?
Thanks for the input. I also usually do BSE, but don't think they are the same. I've tried multiple brands Zagg has the worse "orange peel effect" of them all. I will admit though that it's been about 2-3 years since I last used a Zagg, so I assume thing could have improved, but in my experience BSE, Phantomskinz, and Ghost Armor have been superior as they ad a "clear coat" to their skins to reduce the "orange peel effect".

The Blue and Red Hori TPU cases are available now, but the Clear isn't available till Feb. unless you go with the Japan version, but sellers have it priced for almost double.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX330XW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1C8BJHVVPW23ZKWGPH51&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083442&pf_rd_i=507846

Cool, I didn't realize Amazon was doing pre-orders for an accessory.  I'll just plop it in my saved for later cart and order it in Feb.  Thanks!

I got one of these Game controller Case Plastic Hand Grip Handle Stand for Nintendo 3DS LL XL TE http://www.ebay.com/itm/Game-controller-Case-Plastic-Hand-Grip-Handle-Stand-for-Nintendo-3DS-LL-XL-TE-/121227464357?pt=US_Video_Game_Cases_Bags&hash=item1c39b84ea5 . I have a skin on the top. So when the XL dropped the grip took the brunt force and the skin saved the top from scratches. The grip also makes playing for long periods not painful.
Oh, cool. Is that the same buyer you purchased from too? It's a nice price and wouldn't mind picking up a few for myself and some friends.

Wrong thread. On the subject of skins, I think I'm probably going to import the next atlus related skin and use that on my XL. Cheaer than buying a LE XL.

I ordered a non-Hori clear TPU cover from eForcity for $6 (includes screen protectors that work great).

They're shaped a bit different than Hori, as they have a hinge instead of just being two separate pieces, but it's 1/2 the price and available now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301040102072

UPDATE: received my Faki TPU case today.  It looks, feels, and works great...but it doesn't seem to play too nicely with the InvisibleShield already on there.  It makes my Zelda XL look like it has liver spots or water damage due to the dark air bubbles that will always be there.

The TPU is so nice that if I had to choose I would probably take of the skin.  For now I'll keep both on until it starts bugging the heck out of me, then I'll tell the skin to go find its grandma or something, gosh!

Update #2:

My son got a Mario & Luigi 3DSXL, and I put a non-hori TPU on his; it looks absolutely stunning.  I'm taking off the Zagg skin from my Zelda as it's really giving it an ugly wet splotch effect.

I'm sure the HORI ones are nice, but for $6 you can't beat the eForcity TPU + screen protectors combo.

I ordered a non-Hori clear TPU cover from eForcity for $6 (includes screen protectors that work great).

They're shaped a bit different than Hori, as they have a hinge instead of just being two separate pieces, but it's 1/2 the price and available now.

eForcity cancelled my order, I guess they are completely out now. I ordered hard cases instead since I couldn't find anyone else with clear skins, plus I started thinking that with kids it might be better to use the hard ones.

UPDATE: received my Faki TPU case today. It looks, feels, and works great...but it doesn't seem to play too nicely with the InvisibleShield already on there. It makes my Zelda XL look like it has liver spots or water damage due to the dark air bubbles that will always be there.

The TPU is so nice that if I had to choose I would probably take of the skin. For now I'll keep both on until it starts bugging the heck out of me, then I'll tell the skin to go find its grandma or something, gosh!
This is the case I got for my Pikachu 3DS. I think I paid $10 for it in-store though. It's served me well, but I kind of wish I had a skin for the inner side of the XL since it's all white and it's prone to dust. Mine didn't come with the screen protectors either, this is a really nice deal.

I removed my Zagg skins and put them on some non-stick foil for later potential reuse or custom-cutting for other uses.  the skin + clear TPU combo really don't work well together.  zagg skin removal was tough, but it's gentle.  Didn't even remove the serial number sticker on the back.

That's a real shame that they ran out. Hori or fake, TPU is definitely the way to go.

Got this from BB (OOS) and it fits great on my M&L 3ds XL.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hori-retro-mario-duraflexi-protector-case-for-nintendo-3ds-xl/2060172.p?id=1219068846492&skuid=2060172&sellerId=

I also bought this case ($5.35 from Ebay) and also the eforcity screen protectors ($2.54 Amazon)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390736537924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Case is stinky but that should go away after some time.  It fits the XL and the TPU.  I tried fitting the AC adapter but it won't close.  I don't think it would close with the adapter even if the TPU was taken off.

Overall very happy with my purchases.

bread's done
Back