Guess how much money CAG has saved you

caffolote

CAGiversary!
Figure this might be the board, but if you were to give a rough estimate of how much money CAG saved you over a lifetime with video game deals, how much would it be?

I guess $900

If I really took a guess I'd say 1200 on games and 800 or more on bluray deals. I compared between retail and how much I pay on avg to get a savings total.

I've been on here for a very long time (10 years).. so I'd say.. a lot.
Before this site, it was PURE luck finding good deals and I had to venture out to find something random cheap. I think finding cheap DC games at sears was a great find. Thanks to this site I have saved a lot, but spent a lot as well. I also have a huge back log thanks to this site as well :(

Thanks CheapyD! :D

I'd honestly say that CAG has cost me much more than it has saved me... Before CAG, I had never heard of such a thing as a "backlog" and now mine is ridiculous. Still, it's fun and I'd like to think I've gotten better at restraining myself on deals.

I am just surprised how many people on here and on the internet watch web sites for good deals and glitches and post them. 

I remember there is a CAG member who has a spread sheet that tracks all his purchases and trade ins. It's a smart idea to see at the end of the year if he is in the positive or negative.  (Whoever that is... please share again)

This site is incredible.... But I don't like telling everyone about it... More competition at my local stores lol... I had a best buy employee how I know all these deals before they happen.... I was like, ughhh... Google? Lol

I'd honestly say that CAG has cost me much more than it has saved me... Before CAG, I had never heard of such a thing as a "backlog" and now mine is ridiculous. Still, it's fun and I'd like to think I've gotten better at restraining myself on deals.
That...sounds about right. I Like to think I'm not "that bad" merely because majority of the games I get are under $15, but when I look and see all the games I now own ranging from "have to have it" to "vaguely interested" I realize, yeah, this isn't healthy. Add to the fact a triple digit backlog, it feels like I'm lying to myself in saying I saved any money at all.

Hard to say either way. On one hand, without CAG I would have far fewer games as I simply wouldn't buy them at retail. On the other, I now buy games simply because they are cheap and I might be interested in them rather than only buying the games I really want.

In five years, easily thousands.  Chief among savings is the stacking ECA code glitch for Amazon game orders that I had open for years.

In five years, easily thousands. Chief among savings is the stacking ECA code glitch for Amazon game orders that I had open for years.
omg.. I forgot about that! What did the codes do exactly? Weren't they like 10% off? I totally forget, I just remember I had so many codes.. lol

omg.. I forgot about that! What did the codes do exactly? Weren't they like 10% off? I totally forget, I just remember I had so many codes.. lol
Storytime: ECA got noticed by this site for having promo codes 10% off ANY games at Amazon, which spurred memberships for the site. Somewhere around 1-3 weeks ECA got the bright idea to GIVE AWAY the membership for free, increasing membership to easily tens of thousands. Compound this by the fact codes were generated via browser cookie and suddenly the internet was having a field day clearing their cache for codes until they ran out after a day.

ECA went to Amazon saying they ran out of codes and Amazon nodded with a new batch. It wasn't long before users who had input first batch codes realized the new wave stacked. Needless to say, that second batch lasted hours at best. Amazon reluctantly supplied a third batch of codes after a day or two and sure enough, people could now get 30% off games with hoarded codes. That was the end of that said Amazon and discontinued the promotion. The incompetence at ECA on top of free membership killed a pretty legit promo, one that could have still been going today to compete with BB's GCU.

Long story short, those who got in early reaped the reward of 30% off games for as long as Amazon would let them add games to an existing order (worked on CE's too ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Storytime: ECA got noticed by this site for having promo codes 10% off ANY games at Amazon, which spurred memberships for the site. Somewhere around 1-3 weeks ECA got the bright idea to GIVE AWAY the membership for free, increasing membership to easily tens of thousands. Compound this by the fact codes were generated via browser cookie and suddenly the internet was having a field day clearing their cache for codes until they ran out after a day.

ECA went to Amazon saying they ran out of codes and Amazon nodded with a new batch. It wasn't long before users who had input first batch codes realized the new wave stacked. Needless to say, that second batch lasted hours at best. Amazon reluctantly supplied a third batch of codes after a day or two and sure enough, people could now get 30% off games with hoarded codes. That was the end of that said Amazon and discontinued the promotion. The incompetence at ECA on top of free membership killed a pretty legit promo, one that could have still been going today to compete with BB's GCU.

Long story short, those who got in early reaped the reward of 30% off games for as long as Amazon would let them add games to an existing order (worked on CE's too ;)).
:applause:

Thank you.

I remember when everyone canceled their ECA membership....then we all (well a lot of us) got charged, then there was a big refund thread. :rofl:

I remember buying a few things with stacked codes. I don't remember what I actually bought, though.

Honestly it has probably cost me money as a result of buying games/movies that I don't really need/want just because they're cheap, and having them just end up gathering dust on the shelf.

I've been much better about that the past year or so though and only keep an active eye on the deals forums when there are specific things I'm looking for a good price on.

Honestly it has probably cost me money as a result of buying games/movies that I don't really need/want just because they're cheap, and having them just end up gathering dust on the shelf.

I've been much better about that the past year or so though and only keep an active eye on the deals forums when there are specific things I'm looking for a good price on.
I've spent way more money on games because of CAG. That said, I still love this site and always enjoy a good deal.

I've spent way more money on games because of CAG. That said, I still love this site and always enjoy a good deal.

Oh definitely. I love the CAG community and still read and post a ton. I just don't frequent the deals forums as much due to the above and now being at a place where lack of free time to play games/watch movies is the bigger issue than lack of funds to buy them.

More than I can even guess.  Though, if I hadn't been on CAG, my collection wouldn't be nearing as large as it is either.  I have bought games over these years just because they were cheap.

Been here for a few yaers myself and I'd honeslty estimate well over $1,000 myself. I've seen games in stores, price checked them on my smartphone on CAG and left the store and bought them online for 1/3rd of the price. CAG is especially a great site for those of us that are on a limited budget., not gonna lie.

Probably a couple thousand. I used to buy a game new for $50-60, then rent a ton, or only buy 10-20 games per system. Thanks to CAG I have a backlog, which means I never think to buy a game at launch. I wait 6mo+ and get it for a fraction. I have something like 115 games, average purchase price is under $25.

Now how many times have I bought something because I saw it was cheap thanks to CAG? Heh...let's just say, it probably offsets the savings :p

Probably a couple thousand. I used to buy a game new for $50-60, then rent a ton, or only buy 10-20 games per system. Thanks to CAG I have a backlog, which means I never think to buy a game at launch. I wait 6mo+ and get it for a fraction. I have something like 115 games, average purchase price is under $25.

Now how many times have I bought something because I saw it was cheap thanks to CAG? Heh...let's just say, it probably offsets the savings :p
Haha...same here. I used to not have a backlog ever, but now that I get games when they're on the cheap or through b2g1 deals, I went from spending $50-60 to $10-20 per game, which means I usually get 2-3 games at a time except for series' that I'm a huge fan of like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, or Devil May Cry(not to be confused with DmC cause that game SUCKED). I will still hesitantly pay $30 for a Resident Evil game though.

I've also tried out more games than I generally would have as well.

Thousands of dollars on games and movies. Thanks to this site I haven't paid much of anything for most of what I play game wise through the years. Movies most times are way below Suggested Retail so I can't complain especially my transition from DVD to Blu Ray.

I wouldn't be surprised if it topped a few grand. I've certainly spent more because of this site, buying things on impulse that I normally wouldn't buy.

I've saved over $1000 this year alone with free xboxlive and lucritive iPad flips being major highlights along with the walmart glitch to note a few.

bread's done
Back