XBOX One Warranty - Should I purchase, and from who?

easyheimer

CAGiversary!
Ok, so I was able to get my hands on an Xbox One on Black Friday. I was presented with the opportunity to purchase the warranty through gamestop at the time but declined. I usually like to weigh my options since I have some time before I have to decide if I want to buy it, and more importantly from where. 

I guess GameStop offers a 2 and 3 year warranty, which are priced at $60 and $80. These kick in AFTER the one year manufacturers warranty from Microsoft expires. I guess what you do is bring your console in to the store if it breaks, and they give you a brand new one on the spot no questions asked. The warranty then ends and Microsoft's one year manufacturers warranty begins on the new system. 

With the Microsoft Complete Warranty, it is a 3 year repair / replace warranty and they send you a box and you send it out to them and then they either send your repaired one back or a refurbished system. This costs $70.

Just to give you guys a little background, I'm one of those guys that went through 7 Xbox 360's due to the RROD until Microsoft wouldn't cover it anymore and had to purchase a whole new one. I definitely don't want this to happen again which is why I'm contemplating buying the warranties in the first place. 

If I am misinformed of some of the warranties listed here, please correct me as I'd like to know what I'd be getting. Also, please let me know if you think I should purchase the warranty or not. 

I would appreciate any feedback I can get!

Thanks!

Sounds like the better one is at GameStop.  Myself I would rather just drive to a local store and get it replaced on the spot with a new one.  I would guess you can buy a new warranty with Game Stop on the replacement system.  I wouldn't want to have to send it back in and be without till it was fixed or a refurbished one was sent to me. Also I'm not big on getting things that are refurbished.  However that is just me.

IMO extended warranties -- especially when you are talking 2-3 years -- are a waste. If a product comes out and has a major problem right off the bat, it's handled by the manufacturer (like RROD). If it doesn't, then it's like most products -- if it fails, it'll be over a longer period of time, by which point your warranty won't cover it anyway.

But, if you actually went through "seven" 360s (really?), then perhaps your luck isn't very good and it's worth it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally I'd say fuck warranties unless they are dirt cheap, but with the amount of defects the 360 had? Go for it.

I got mine through MS because while it is a pain to ship back my console, they have what's called a advanced exchange program. Basically they put a hold on your card of $500 but they ship you a new (though it will probably be a refurb come January/Feb if it isn't already) console within 48 hours when yours has issues. You have 10 (14?) days to ship them back your old console. I'm not sure what the limitations are of a store warranty but I know MS basically sent people multiple 360s over and over when all the issues came about so if the X1 has similar problems I rather have my warranty through MS. With the extended warranty you also have the Kinect covered and it looks like 2 controller replacements, though I heard getting the controllers fixed sucks because you have to send it in vs them sending you a new/refurb one in 48 hours.

Obviously it can still be better to go with the store especially if they have sufficient stock and supply you with brand new consoles vs refurbs.

I normally don't buy warranties for anything even things more expensive than consoles but I purchased a warranty for my X1.  The 360 RROD issues left a bad taste in my mouth towards new consoles forever.  I only had 2 red ring on me but MS wouldn't replace either of them so I had to buy a new one both times. 

IMO extended warranties -- especially when you are talking 2-3 years -- are a waste. If a product comes out and has a major problem right off the bat, it's handled by the manufacturer (like RROD). If it doesn't, then it's like most products -- if it fails, it'll be over a longer period of time, by which point your warranty won't cover it anyway.

But, if you actually went through "seven" 360s (really?), then perhaps your luck isn't very good and it's worth it to you.
I agree with you. I purchased a warranty from Microsoft for my Xbox 360 because I paid $399 for it and was hearing about people having them break already in the first 2 months before I got mine. However, after buying the stupid warranty for $60 then MS starts replacing all systems for free! So basically I wasted $60. I had 2 RRODs and the 2nd one was just after the 3 year warranty expired. So I had to buy an Xbox S which has no warranty and works great.

I've decided that extended warranties are just a money grab. I told the car dealer as much and that I would never buy another from him if it blows up after the manufacturer warranty expires.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back