CAGcast #348: Peggle Fever Fever

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Yes, Peggle 2 is discussed, along with VGX, YouTube, Xbox One issues, Forza 5 final impressions, and so much more!
Download (89 minutes) - iTunes -
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-348-peggle-fever-fever

All new Stack Soaps available at select Whole Foods Markets, now available in Peppermint, Jasmine, & Unscented. These new bars have even better ingredients because they were made specifically for Whole Foods. They use essential oils for fragrance, which is the good stuff!

Available at Whole Foods Market in these 7 states:
• Ohio
• Virginia
• Maryland
• Pennsylvania
• Washington DC
• (South) New Jersey
• Kentucky
For everyone else, they’re on Amazon with free shipping.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro: In the Hall of the Mountain King - Outro: 1812 Overture

CAG #348

3:45 Mall Santas
8:45 Show Feedback
8:45 - GT6 microtransactions and hacking
10:30 - Back pain & an unidentified accent
12:15 - OSS/OS
15:00 Watch This: VGX
21:00 - No Man's Sky
23:30 - Telltale overdoing it with Adventure Games?
25:45 - The Wolverine
28:00 - Godzilla trailer
29:00 New Releases
29:00 - Peggle 2
34:00 - Halo: Spartan Assault
35:15 - Doki Doki Universe
35:15 Spelunk on sale for PS3/Vita
40:30 Xbox One
40:30 - Long setup
44:30 - System Update
49:45 - Weird UI decisions: no auto-sign in; party system; cable box re-setup;
55:00 - Forza
1:01:30 PS4
1:01:30 - Twitch
1:03:30 Miiverse
1:06:30 Youtube users getting violation notices
1:12:00 Cagbag
1:12:00 - Titanfall or Destiny
1:13:30 - Interaction in console updates
1:15:30 - Season pass scams
1:20:15 - Definitive Editions
1:22:00 - Titanfall in Japan
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Bonus Infographic:
BbPlh-lCAAEqajz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally someone else who thought VGX was funny. If Joel and loiter squad wasn't there then it would have been boring.
I hope the next year is shorter and have more devoplers there, I like the format way more than the previous years.

P.S. In the miiverse, you can follow people.

One of the reasons I asked about the Telltale thing is that with Walking Dead, the game's episodes had big delays in between episodes, and they were just working on that and maybe something else back then.

The infographic is not made by Sony. It's from DFC "Inteillegence". It was retweeted by Sony's account though.

For the VGX, it may have been boring without Joel there, but at least I would not have cringe throughout the first hour because of him. His condescending attitude also does not really help.

EA is known in the IOS area for every game they release having F2P elements.

I bought GT6 cause I thought I was getting a Logitech DF GT racing wheel as a present for my birthday and I wanted to get the Amazon preorder bonus, but then it turned I wasn't actaully getting the wheel.  And I didn't want to pay for one myself after missing out on this crazy deal for a far superior wheel.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/323845-thrustmaster-t500rs-microcenter-150/

thrustmaster-t500-rs-racing-wheel-gt5-ps3.jpeg

So I returned GT6 unopened to Amazon and swallowed the $5 UPS shipping cost.  GT6 sounds like it has a lot of legacy issues like poor AI and crappy engine sounds that are related to a lack of RAM and will hopefully be fixed for GT7 in 2015 or whenever.  Now I'm playing Grid 2 instead since it was free on PS+.

Same thing has happened to me with the PC gaming diminishing after I bought the PS4 and Xbone.  Mainly Forza and NFS: Rivals.

Forza career has always sucked.  Racing online with friends is where the game shines.  

Forza 5's career mode is totally borked if you decide to play with simulation damage and increase the difficulty. Expecting you to go from position 13 to position 1-3 in 3-4 laps trying to actual race is just broken especially on Pro drivatar difficulty or higher.

CAG #348

3:45 Mall Santas
8:45 Show Feedback
8:45 - GT6 microtransactions and hacking
10:30 - Back pain & an unidentified accent
12:15 - OSS/OS
15:00 Watch This: VGX
21:00 - No Man's Sky
23:30 - Telltale overdoing it with Adventure Games?
25:45 - The Wolverine
28:00 - Godzilla trailer
29:00 New Releases
29:00 - Peggle 2
34:00 - Halo: Spartan Assault
35:15 - Doki Doki Universe
35:15 Spelunk on sale for PS3/Vita
40:30 Xbox One
40:30 - Long setup
44:30 - System Update
49:45 - Weird UI decisions: no auto-sign in; party system; cable box re-setup;
55:00 - Forza
1:01:30 PS4
1:01:30 - Twitch
1:03:30 Miiverse
1:06:30 Youtube users getting violation notices
1:12:00 Cagbag
1:12:00 - Titanfall or Destiny
1:13:30 - Interaction in console updates
1:15:30 - Season pass scams
1:20:15 - Definitive Editions
1:22:00 - Titanfall in Japan

Turn 10 Studios will release a Forza Motorsport 5 update this month -- as early as next week -- that adds Drag Racing and Tag multiplayer modes, in addition to a more balanced economy.

Car prices have been reduced significantly, with the on-disc cars reduced in price by 45%. So, the $6 million Ferrari 250 GTO you’ve been saving for is now a more accessible $2 million purchase. The rate at which racers earn money has more than doubled, as well. Turn 10 estimates Forza 5 players will be able to earn exotic cars in one-fifth of the time they earned them in Forza Motorsport 4.

“We based our economy largely on Forza Motorsport 4 data,” creative director Dan Greenwalt told IGN. That $6 million Ferrari? It cost $10 million in Forza 4.

“The earn rate [in Forza 5] should have been the same,” Greenwalt explained. Player patterns are different now, however, which meant racers were earning less. And so Turn 10 adapted based on telemetry. Based on that data, Turn 10 is "making updates pretty quickly and painlessly," and will continue to do so based on community feedback.

Drag Racing supports up to 16 racers in one lobby, one-on-one duels, or eight cars on the same drag strip, and Tag mode comes in three multiplayer variants:

Keep the It: One player begins the match as “It.” The goal is for the “It” player to keep “It” status for as long as possible. “It” status transfers each time someone makes contact with the “It” player. Once the match timer has completed, the player with the most “It” time wins.

Tag Virus – One player begins the match as “It.” Each time an “It” player makes contact with another car, the “It” status spreads like a virus. The last uninfected player standing wins the match.

Pass the It: Similar to “Keep the It”, one player begins a “Pass the It” match with “It” status. “It” status transfers each time someone makes contact with the “It.” At the end of the match, the player with the least amount of “It” time wins.

Look for more from Greenwalt discussing the future of Forza soon here on IGN.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-12-fixing-forza-5-how-turn-10-wants-to-turn-things-around

Greenawalt: "Disappointed in myself" from fan reaction; want to win fans back [Forza] #1

It must be a relief in some way to have the game finally ship, but the reaction's been more muted than some other Forza games. What's your take on the initial response, and the first reviews?

Dan Greenawalt: I have to be honest, our team takes great pride in what lights up our players, and community's the heart of what we do. So it's been disappointing. I'm not disappointed in people - people feel how they feel. I'm more disappointed in myself that I've elicited this reaction in people. I think the biggest travesty for me is how people have misread our intentions, because that's just been sad - community's the biggest thing for us, and the whole point is to get people excited about cars and excited about games, so people saying we've changed the economy for this reason and we removed this feature for that reason - I understand it, because perception's reality, and people start believing what they believe, but I know it's not the thought process we went through to make the decisions we made.
We'll get back to that in a bit. In terms of the free-to-play mechanics that are coming into it - because it came as part of a wave of Microsoft games that introduced mechanics more typically found in free-to-play games in full-price games, what's your take on that and how do you justify their inclusion?

Dan Greenawalt: So that's how you felt about Forza 4? I did feel that way about Forza 4, so I'll admit an inconsistency there, but it wasn't pronounced as much. It's certainly much more of an issue in Forza 5.

Dan Greenawalt: I understand that if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck... I know the statement. But honestly if you look at free-to-play games they usually have things called paywalls, where you're slowly wearing something down and the only way to get around it is to pay. That's not what we implemented in Forza 4 and that wasn't our goal in Forza 5 either. We don't have paywalls. We have acceleration, and that was based on feedback from players in Forza 4 - there's a small group of players that can't be bothered to do things and they have disposable income.

They're the sim guys in a lot of cases. They don't want to do the career, and they don't value those aspects, and that's alright by me. With Forza 4 we had car tokens that range from one dollar to three dollars - the most expensive car was ten million credits in game, and it only cost three car tokens which would have been three dollars. That felt like it was not making the car exclusive enough for those who are willing to pay. So we made car tokens equal to credits - it's not about making more money, it was actually about saving people's time when doing the grind. I can totally see how people are perceiving it, but that wasn't our thought process - we designed the tokens last, which isn't how you'd do it if you were making a free-to-play game - you would design that economy and the token economy first, because that's how you make your revenue. That's not how we make the revenue - we sell the game, and the tokens aren't a big revenue driver. As a creative director, we were looking at it as basically giving people cheats, but if you want to put cheats in you have to pay for them, which puts a barrier in and makes it exclusive to those who want to pay for them.

My biggest issues with Forza five are the small amount of tracks and not getting cars after leveling up. The car reward was dangling carrot that kept me going. 

My biggest issues with Forza five are the small amount of tracks and not getting cars after leveling up. The car reward was dangling carrot that kept me going.
Exactly...the MTs are the least of my worries. The lack of content and broken Career mode is more the problem. Yes they could have given random car rewards for every 5 levels up to level 100 (20 free cars out of 200) and the ability to sell those cars if you get duplicates or get one you dont like.

Do I think progression was slowed down...sure, I can deal with that. I honestly feel that the people that dont have the game seem more pissed and vocal about it then the people actually playing it and for the most part enjoying the amazing racing experience on the track.

The in cockpit view, graphics, 60fps, sounds, tracks, rumble triggers, damage, F1 and Indy cars are all TOTALLY AWESOME. People see MTs in the game and they throw there hands up and say screw Turn 10, Screw MS, more power to the gamers. SMH.

Exactly...the MTs are the least of my worries. The lack of content and broken Career mode is more the problem. Yes they could have given random car rewards for every 5 levels up to level 100 (20 free cars out of 200) and the ability to sell those cars if you get duplicates or get one you dont like.

Do I think progression was slowed down...sure, I can deal with that. I honestly feel that the people that dont have the game seem more pissed and vocal about it then the people actually playing it and for the most part enjoying the amazing racing experience on the track.

The in cockpit view, graphics, 60fps, sounds, tracks, rumble triggers, damage, F1 and Indy cars are all TOTALLY AWESOME. People see MTs in the game and they throw there hands up and say screw Turn 10, Screw MS, more power to the gamers. SMH.
I 100% agree. . . There are plenty of great cars to buy with in game currency quickly without having to spend any money (For Instance I was able to buy the Nissan GTR Black Edition within the first hour of play). And I wouldn't have noticed the micro transaction stuff if it wasn't pointed out by irrate fans. With that said, the real issue for me is the lack of content, tracks, modes, etc.

I agree too about the season pass, that was the original point, you gamble a little by paying in advance for a season pass, but in exchange you got all the DLC. The notable DLC missing from the BL2 season pass were the new playable classes, I guarantee they didn't start working on those after the game had been released and was a hit. They should either give you access to all the DLC that is released for the title or all the DLC released in a certain time frame (so you could have season 2 DLC pass) Now it's even bleeding into GOTY editions, Borderlands 2 GOTY edition won't include all the DLC.

I think I figured out why I like listening to you guys so much. We've all watched way too much Simpsons.

Don't you hate pants?!

Cheapy - I agree about Schenectady being the armpit of New York

Wombat - I never, ever thought it was butter

Shipwreck - What percentage of Peggle achievements have you thus far attained?

Mario is Italian. It should be pronounced AH in accordance with Italian, which is also in accordance with Japanese ... and almost every language other than English. :p Still, the short sound of the vowel A is usually pronounced with a nasal sound like cat, happy, and ... Italian and Japanese. This is why so many folks say Mario's name with that sound. It also is the favored pronunciation in the northeast it seems to me, but that's mostly anecdotal.

Come to think of it, Shipwreck the Ohioan says some funny-sounding things to us folks from the NY dirty C. He has this weird habit of using relative clauses, but then repeating the subject (or maybe it was doubling up on the pronoun or something. I'll listen more carefully during the next show). I am pretty sure I have also heard him use would have in both clauses in a past unreal conditional.

I just started watching Arrow and I can't tell if the main actor is really good at playing a charater who can't convey emotions or sincerity well, or if he is just a  bad actor.  The way he delivers his lines with such a blank look on his face sometimes just makes me laugh. Also, whenever he leaves a room he always does this sharp quick turn pivot kind of thing. His all around weirdness just makes him great to watch, but I can't tell if it's his acting or his portrayal of the charatcer, which makes it even better.

Wombat, have you unlocked Squirrel Girl in Lego Marvel yet? Best Character In The Game. She may not be able to do much wandering around (she can dig, but can't activate claw switches), but she's bad-ass in a fight. Her squirrel attack will not only take out every goon in her vicinity, but while holding down the button, she is invulnerable! Even to boss attacks. Plus, hey, it's Squirrel Girl! How can you go wrong with Squirrel Girl?

I don't see what the big problem with the infographic is. No doubt that it's created to deliver a message, but it does show the top selling consoles of the past 3 generations, plus it shows that the Xbox One is not too far behind the PS4. 

It seems like most people have a dog in the "best console" debate. Maybe it's from fond memories of previous consoles. I like Nintendo because of the fond memories I had with the NES as a kid. I like Sony because of the great gaming I did on the PS1 and PS2. I had great gaming memories on both the PS3 (game exclusives) and 360 (online dominance), but I am too old to develop nostalgic loyalty at this point.

I am curious as to what a gamer who grew up playing Wii, 360 and PS3 would say. Are they routing for a certain console to do well? 

I don't see what the big problem with the infographic is. No doubt that it's created to deliver a message, but it does show the top selling consoles of the past 3 generations, plus it shows that the Xbox One is not too far behind the PS4.
For one, why would the Xbox be at the bottom of the list? Chronologically or sales wise, it should be right below PlayStation.

I agree with you guys on the season pass issue, there needs to be a change. 

For one, why would the Xbox be at the bottom of the list? Chronologically or sales wise, it should be right below PlayStation.
why are you arguing a graphic some fanboi made?

Keep this shit off cag. slap shipwreck.

I agree too about the season pass, that was the original point, you gamble a little by paying in advance for a season pass, but in exchange you got all the DLC. The notable DLC missing from the BL2 season pass were the new playable classes, I guarantee they didn't start working on those after the game had been released and was a hit. They should either give you access to all the DLC that is released for the title or all the DLC released in a certain time frame (so you could have season 2 DLC pass) Now it's even bleeding into GOTY editions, Borderlands 2 GOTY edition won't include all the DLC.
Seriously? That is really lame. Guess we can't just wait for the GOTY versions anymore, either.

why are you arguing a graphic some fanboi made?

Keep this shit off cag. slap shipwreck.
It is made by an analyst group and it was tweeted by PlayStation.

Was this made by Sony?

And I find MS PR spinning numbers claiming to be fastest selling system even worse.
Microsoft isn't "spinning numbers" there. On a per day basis it sold the most consoles. That's just math. They were out for only 9 days and sold well. The PlayStation 4 put more product out on shelves during their 16 days on the market, but didn't restock as quickly, so the math makes sense. Both had extremely successful launches.

I am amazed and very happy at the success Microsoft has had in the console market. The competition it has brought to the table with Sony has resulted in great opportunities, in pricing and innovation, for us gamers. I recall the early days, when Nintendo had a virtual monopoly, and how prices on the top games stayed exactly the same ($50) for more than 5 years!

I love my PS3, and my 360, and I will be playing the new Zelda in the future. I am not so much a fanboy of any one company, rather I am a fanboy of the wonderfulness of competition.

Microsoft isn't "spinning numbers" there. On a per day basis it sold the most consoles. That's just math. They were out for only 9 days and sold well. The PlayStation 4 put more product out on shelves during their 16 days on the market, but didn't restock as quickly, so the math makes sense. Both had extremely successful launches.
Sony sold 1 million in 24 hours. Microsoft sold less than 1 million in 9 days. Meaning Sony had more than Microsoft after nine days. Average that and it's higher. That's just math.

Sony sold 1 million in 24 hours. Microsoft sold less than 1 million in 9 days. Meaning Sony had more than Microsoft after nine days. Average that and it's higher. That's just math.
And then over the next 7 days the PlayStation 4 sales were not as brisk due to supply constraints. Math is great.

And then over the next 7 days the PlayStation 4 sales were not as brisk due to supply constraints. Math is great.
Math is great indeed, because this argument says that 9=16. Xbox is given an advantage by only counting 9 days on sale, while Sony is given 16. So clearly those are even grounds, right?

I'm sure sales of most things look better when you condense a time frame to almost half of a competitor.

Math is great, but logic is AMAZING.

EDIT: I'm just going to say this and be done with it:

If Microsoft had come out and said they were the fastest selling console IN NOVEMBER, than they would be correct. But when they choose the wording to make it sound overall, then that is where I have a problem with it. Because when you structure the announcement that way, than that's a stat for 9 days on sale. The extra week Sony has been out is no longer relevant and only their sales in their first 9 days matter. And in this case, Sony would have the fastest selling console ever (which I'm not sure is true, just that they sold more than Microsoft).

Either way, both systems sold as well as expected, and it's no way to diminish the success of either system. Just an issue I have with the wording PR chose by trying to unfairly hold their 9 days on sale to Sony's 16 days to spread their higher sales further out. Because if Microsoft moved that 9 days to 16, I'm sure it would be a different story.

The launches of the respective consoles on that list aren't exactly very comparable and don't even include all of the same regions. The Wii launch was staggered and only launched in North America in November 2006, not North America and Japan like the graphic says. The PS2 launched in Japan 7 months prior to any other region. Finally the PS4 and Xbox One's launches are different as well. Xbox One did a world-wide launch and released in most of their vital regions on November 22nd while the Playstation 4 did another staggered launch. It launched in North America on November 15, launched in Europe in November 29, it launches today in a few regions and it will continue to have smaller launches every other week or so until they finally launch in one of their most vital regions, Japan.

What's interesting to me is that it seems that the Xbox One has lost the big advantage that the Xbox 360 had in the United States over the Playstation 3.

I'm personally glad that the ps4 and xbox one don't install updates automatically.   A few months ago an update bricked my ps3 and rather than waiting for sony to fix it I ended up reformatting the entire harddrive.   If I see on twitter or something that a ps4 update is bricking consoles I could postpone updating the system.  If it automatically installs I'd just end up with a bricked console.  

I cant believe there is such discussion on which company sold how many consoles when they are both around the same sales and it doesnt really matter 3-4 weeks in.

Is it worth getting worked up over a phony graph Sony didn't make for not truthfully presenting sales data to follow it with a defense of Major Nelson or claim that MS PR isn't spinning numbers? Both just seem to be consciously skewing the public perception. Agree, though, the good news is they're both selling great. Mobile and facebook games must not win!

Chronologically by console release x-1 would be on top. Grouping by generation and sales it would be 2nd. Doesn't matter...the current gen numbers are so close it's insignificant.
Sony is going to pump out stats that make them look good, and MS does the same, AS THEY SHOULD. These are companies trying to make money.
In reference to math and logic in other posts: Sales numbers are one thing...extrapolating in- stock percentages based on what one sees in their local stores, is inaccurate.

Shipwreck and Wombat, when your TV has gone out have you tried this:

Go to the home screen, hover over TV app, press Menu, and Select Quit. Relaunch the TV app.

It has fixed it every time for me (Comcast box).

I do think it is a handshaking issue, possibly because of the varying resolutions. For example, it seems to almost pause everytime I select the OnDemand menu, which only displays in 480p.

Meh for four guys making something like No Man's Sky, raves for a game where you watch a ball bounce around pegs that is nearly identical to the last game where you watched balls bounce around on pegs.

Always enjoy the show, but am I ever glad you guys aren't in charge of publishing games. 

Mario is Italian. It should be pronounced AH in accordance with Italian, which is also in accordance with Japanese ... and almost every language other than English. :p Still, the short sound of the vowel A is usually pronounced with a nasal sound like cat, happy, and ... Italian and Japanese. This is why so many folks say Mario's name with that sound. It also is the favored pronunciation in the northeast it seems to me, but that's mostly anecdotal.

Come to think of it, Shipwreck the Ohioan says some funny-sounding things to us folks from the NY dirty C. He has this weird habit of using relative clauses, but then repeating the subject (or maybe it was doubling up on the pronoun or something. I'll listen more carefully during the next show). I am pretty sure I have also heard him use would have in both clauses in a past unreal conditional.
You beat me to it. Listen to this man. I speak Spanish and Japanese and can vouch for what he said about the 'ah' sounds being exactly like Italian (which I also studied). I've often shaken my head when you guys say Mario's name. It's a bit grating to my ears.

Wombat said that Mario Lopez's name should be pronounced differently from Mario Mario because...why exactly?

To be fair, listen to this dilemma. My name in real life is Ricardo. How do I pronounce it to Americans whom I speak English to? I sure as hell don't trill the 'R' and say the 'a' like a Spanish 'a'. People would put their hands in the air and say, "Excuuuuse me." Or an even bigger dilemma: Mixed group of native Spanish speakers and non-Spanish speakers having a conversation when the subject of Mexican food enters - how should I pronounce "tortilla"? Do I make the 'll" into a 'y' sound or simply an English style 'l" sound? Either way I'll catch flack from someone.

So...if you guys want to pronounce Mario the way you do, it's your world and all us gentiles are just living in it! I'm not about to start pronouncing Karaoke and Karate with an 'eh' sound at the end instead of an 'ee' sound when I' in the states because people will not understand or consider me a douche bag. You can't make everyone happy.

Great podcast once again, guys.

One last thing, I remember I was ordering Italian food in Thailand and didn't know how to order a calzone because the waiter was Thai and they probably don't mispronounce the food the same way Americans do. I figured it was a tourist town so I'd order it the same way Americans would. Then the waiter corrected me on my horrible Italian as if it was a 5 star restaurant and didn't only cost me like $3. Oh, oh, and in Osaka I ordered Pollo en mole from a Mexican restaurant from a Japanese waitress and wasn't sure how to mispronounce the food. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and said it in slow, well enunciated Spanish. She repeated, "wacamore?" (guacamole) Then I just pointed at the menu.

bread's done
Back