* * * * - 12 votes

The CAG Backlog Support Group.

Backlog

#1141 Turbine  

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

So after working on my backlog (As in playing shitty games, then dropping them and marking them as completed) I decided it was time to try an actually good game. Started The Master Chief Collection ( I had never played a single Halo game before), and call me a heretic if you will (pun intended) but I couldn't play it for too long, if it weren't for the engaging story and it's character, I wouldn't have gotten past the first mission. 

Unable to tolerate the gameplay while intrigued by plot, I dropped the game and went to Youtube to find out what happened in the first game, so I could give the second game a try. Same thing as before, except this time, I fell even more in love with the story. To Youtube I went, rinse and repeat. Went to the third, and we all know what happened. Long story short, I'm about to give Halo 4 a try, hoping that it goes differently. 

In the end, I don't know if it is just me and my high demand for heavy character progression and customization that didn't let me enjoy it, or if the games haven't aged that well. Regardless, the story has given me the chills several times, so much that I wish I had played those games back then. 

#1142 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

So after working on my backlog (As in playing shitty games, then dropping them and marking them as completed) I decided it was time to try an actually good game. Started The Master Chief Collection ( I had never played a single Halo game before), and call me a heretic if you will (pun intended) but I couldn't play it for too long, if it weren't for the engaging story and it's character, I wouldn't have gotten past the first mission. 

Unable to tolerate the gameplay while intrigued by plot, I dropped the game and went to Youtube to find out what happened in the first game, so I could give the second game a try. Same thing as before, except this time, I fell even more in love with the story. To Youtube I went, rinse and repeat. Went to the third, and we all know what happened. Long story short, I'm about to give Halo 4 a try, hoping that it goes differently. 

In the end, I don't know if it is just me and my high demand for heavy character progression and customization that didn't let me enjoy it, or if the games haven't aged that well. Regardless, the story has given me the chills several times, so much that I wish I had played those games back then. 

I did the same thing with the Halo series. I would start the campaign and jump right over to multiplayer. I don't think I've ever completed a Halo campaign. 

Have Backlog issues? Need support? Come check out  The CAG Backlog Support Group

#1143 parKer   poses like a meerkat CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

How do you guys decide which game to play next? And, how big a backlog do you guys have?

:ps4:   :vita:    :ps3:

#1144 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12506 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 03 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

How do you guys decide which game to play next? And, how big a backlog do you guys have?

I try to play what is oldest. If I have a 10 year old game chances are everything "new" that is in it is in most games today.

I only count PS3 as my backlog; so basically the ps3 library minus sports games, non trophy games, and some licensed stuff I am not into like harry potter.

#1145 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2175 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

I promised myself that I wouldn't buy anymore games and just play FF 15 until I destroy it. Then, and only then, would I grab the new Mass Effect game.

But I'm on Chapter 13 in FF15 right now. It is so boring. Playing that part is like doing the most tedious task at your job; you just want to plow through it and do something else. 

Any who. 

Given the rave reviews of Nioh, and given that I am a huge Souls fan, I broke down and pre ordered that game. I read Jim Sterling's review and that pretty much sold me. 

So, FF15, then Nioh, then new ME. No more games in between, except the new Fire Emblem coming out for the 3DS. 

And The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Wii U. (Or Switch ... oh yea, I'm also getting a Switch, but I'm on the fence). 

That said, I'm doing JUST FINE with my "no more games until I destroy FF15" challenge. 

Just fine ... 

Follow me on Twitter

Currently playing: Prey (X1X)

#1146 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

Between my digital games for PS4 and PS Vita I have roughly 120. Physical games I probably have around 30? I haven't added up my PlayStation 3 games yet. 

Also, I wrote a long explanation about how I handle my games way back but essentially this is how I'd like to prioritize my games:

1. New games that I purchase for full retail or almost close to full retail
2. Games I've started but haven't finished
3. Games that I've had for quite some time that are collecting dust
4. Games that have been on my radar that I've picked up for a good deal
5. Free games from PS+ / Games for Gold

Have Backlog issues? Need support? Come check out  The CAG Backlog Support Group

#1147 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

Just finished Bastion on the Vita. Second time through and just as good as. 

#1148 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

Beat halo 1 couch co-op with a buddy and then did it in the hardest difficulty.

We played about half of halo 2 before getting bored.
I have never gone back to halo since.

sent from my galaxy s6 edge plus using tapatalk on android
  • Acd likes this

#1149 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

I pick a system then narrow it down from there.

#1150 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2088 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:24 AM

Threw another log on the fire.  Started work at the new office today, which is across the street from Frys.  Found Lost Diminsion PS3 for $18.14.  I remember looking at this game when it came out, anyone have any input on this one?

Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

#1151 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   504 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:40 AM

Finished the Cold, Cold Heart DLC for Arkham Origins.  Definitely worth a purchase as the boss battle is good and the new enemy variety is welcomed. 

Beaten: 2

Playing: Call of Duty: Ghosts

Backlog: 217

I liked Actual Sunlight. I'm glad that I got to play it because of PS+ IGC.

I'm also back to the Vita with Code: Realize for something less time-consuming. I recently finished/platinumed Fallout 4 (no DLC) and Dishonored: Definitive Edition on PS4 and the hoarding of armor, weapons, and building materials in the former and stealthing in the latter wiped me out.

P.S. First post in here. Hello!

Welcome!

I felt the same way about Silent Hill 2.  I didn't give it a chance because the gameplay was frustrating so I went to youtube to see the ending/s and it's the one game that I regret not playing to see the end.  I see now why Silent Hill 2 receives the praise that it does.  Halo is a different story, imo.  I played through every campaign except for 4.  There aren't any small nuance that you might have missed or anything that would make it better had you played the games.  The story could stand by itself with out the campaign.  

For me, kind of the same as Corgstradamus but I try to have a balance in variety.  Like if I play an open world game, I would want something more linear.

#1152 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12745 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:23 AM

But I'm on Chapter 13 in FF15 right now. It is so boring. Playing that part is like doing the most tedious task at your job; you just want to plow through it and do something else. 

I'm worried about this. I keep hearing the game gets extremely linear at the end and it just isn't fun. I'm really enjoying the game so far, chapter 8, a lot more than I thought I would. I'm getting a bit over powered because story missions aren't a challenge.

#1153 parKer   poses like a meerkat CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone. 

Like some of you, my backlog isn't big and it's just PS4/Vita games now. I do have PS+ but I have been getting through some of the free games quickly since most of them were short.

It is a good feeling for me when:

- that platinum or last trophy pops

- deleting a finished digital game

- trading in or selling a disc or giving it to a friend

- returning a Redbox game with a final cost cheaper than buying it lol

:whee:

#1154 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2175 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

I'm worried about this. I keep hearing the game gets extremely linear at the end and it just isn't fun. I'm really enjoying the game so far, chapter 8, a lot more than I thought I would. I'm getting a bit over powered because story missions aren't a challenge.

Chapter 13 in FF15 just makes no sense. 

You get this amazing, open world with so much to do and amazing music with unique game play and strategy. 

THEN it goes to fighting in super narrow hallways, with bland, repeating graphics and NO WEAPONS. It is so dumb. And it is so long. It made the game go from being a 10 for me to about an 8.5. It is that bad. But, Chapter 13 is getting patched because enough people like me are whining about it. 

I will say this: Once your finally past Chapter 13, the game opens up and you can do anything you want before beating game. What I do like about FF15 is there is more to come with in through DLC. There is a lot to offer here with this game, so end game content and future DLC sounds super appealing --- especially if you're like me and like to get rare items or defeat uber hard side bosses.

It's just that Chapter 13 leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. 

I know you don't care: I might be posting my FF15 review -- filled with spoilers (but that is OK because I don't understand the plot) -- on CAG in the future. Chapter 13 motivated me to do this. 

Follow me on Twitter

#1155 Rodimus   I'm Different CAGiversary!   12745 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'll enjoy my time now and be prepared when Chapter 13 hits. I'll prepare a bottle of whiskey for that. I'm guessing it's very much like the dungeons throughout the game. Dungeons are rather linear with the occasional dead-end path that leads to an elixir or treasure.

An observation: Chapter 13 is the linear chore of the game when almost the entirety of Final Final Fantasy 13 was a linear chore. Is the number "13" an homage to that? I wonder.....

#1156 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2175 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I'll enjoy my time now and be prepared when Chapter 13 hits. I'll prepare a bottle of whiskey for that. I'm guessing it's very much like the dungeons throughout the game. Dungeons are rather linear with the occasional dead-end path that leads to an elixir or treasure.

An observation: Chapter 13 is the linear chore of the game when almost the entirety of Final Final Fantasy 13 was a linear chore. Is the number "13" an homage to that? I wonder.....

Chapter 13 reminds me of Crisis Core graphics and is more linear than the dungeons. I'll stop now with Chapter 13, but it honestly felt like tedious work. I stopped caring about the story and searching for items because I just wanted it to be over with. Plowing through it is best course of action, IMO. 

Follow me on Twitter

#1157 BigTime2Play   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   504 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

BigTime2Play

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:02 AM

Don'y know if this is going to be a habit where I start games only to jump to something else but I started playing Call of Duty Ghosts and before I could even pull the trigger in the game I decided to go ahead and start Final Fantasy XV.  Watching King's Glaive first and so far it's not bad.  Definitely looking forward to continuing the story in the game.

#1158 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:05 AM

A few days ago I downloaded and started an old NES classic, Double Dragon.
Today on my lunch break at work I finally beat it. Overall it took me 2 hours 23 minutes to finish it off while heavily abusing Save States.
That bastard with the machine gun caused me all kinds of anguish, but the final boss was cake afterwards.

I'll play it a few more times trying to see how far I can get without save states, but I doubt I'll actually beat the whole thing that way.

4 games down this year (granted, they have been short)
Currently playing (kinda)
Persona 4 golden
Dragon's Crown
Pokémon Moon
Final Fantasy XV
Backlog: still calculating.....

#1159 parKer   poses like a meerkat CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

Don'y know if this is going to be a habit where I start games only to jump to something else but I started playing Call of Duty Ghosts and before I could even pull the trigger in the game I decided to go ahead and start Final Fantasy XV.  Watching King's Glaive first and so far it's not bad.  Definitely looking forward to continuing the story in the game.

I'm going to do the same though. Probably will start Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens because Code: Realize is putting me to sleep even with the text scrolling at max speed and Auto; it must be the background music, too. The story is OK so far, but I'm thinking that visual novel dating games just are not for me. 

#1160 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:45 PM

Finished Geki Yaba Runner and Call of Duty Infinite Warfare. Geki Yaba Runner is a really fun runner for the PlayStation Vita for anyone who likes those games. COD: Infinite Warfare in my opinion has the best campaign out of all the next-gen CODs and is only 2nd to MW3 for best in the entire series, although I haven't played World at War. 

Going to start up Putty Squad. I'm trying to finish a bunch of physical games so I can get RE7. 

#1161 parKer   poses like a meerkat CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

Finished Geki Yaba Runner and Call of Duty Infinite Warfare. Geki Yaba Runner is a really fun runner for the PlayStation Vita for anyone who likes those games. COD: Infinite Warfare in my opinion has the best campaign out of all the next-gen CODs and is only 2nd to MW3 for best in the entire series, although I haven't played World at War. 

Going to start up Putty Squad. I'm trying to finish a bunch of physical games so I can get RE7. 

Now #wishlisted. I didn't know this game was available on Vita and I love collecting socks. Thanks!

#1162 parKer   poses like a meerkat CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

I started Elder Scrolls Online instead of Lego Star Wars. One of the few games that I got and immediately started playing it. Loving it so far, playing it with my best friend, and having no regrets that diving into this long game will probably slow down my completion of other games.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! 

5a111ab9eaf69bbde433cdb90e3fb3ac.jpg

#1163 TheCrippledPizza   Backlog That Ass Up CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

TheCrippledPizza

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Actually been completing some stuff recently. Beat Legendary, Mars: War Logs and Watchdogs 2 in the past month. I think I'll start moving through all the half done games I have on Steam. Anybody else have a bad habit of playing a game right up until the endgame and then dropping it?

910735.png

#1164 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:22 AM

I finished Tales of Berseria earlier today. I picked up Battlefield 1, Mafia III, and Resident Evil 7 with a B2G1 coupon from Gamestop. I'm going to try to power through Battlefield 1 and Mafia III this week and sell them to get my money back which would essentially make Resident Evil 7 free with all the trades / discounts I got. 

#1165 shakenbake31  

shakenbake31

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:20 AM

I upgraded to the ps4 pro during the holiday season (games stop system trade promo). Then, I created a list of games that I needed to play through. The first game I started on was Uncharted 4. Good game. Next was Bloodborne (Dark souls w/o a proper shield). I got help for almost every boss to finish it quickly. Another good game. I was going to finish Doom (half way through;stopped playing in Oct.) but instead I decided to finally play Dark Souls 2 SOTFS. Im 24 hours in and it's good so far. The rest of my list is pokemon moon, the witcher 3, ac: unity, ac: syndicate, the witness and doom. Then I'll create another list.

#1166 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12506 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Hit a wall on Jak 2. The person that set the checkpoints deserves to be shot. There is one portion where you escort another character, have time based puzzles (that require a difficult jump spin) and you are also being chased. The worst part is the jump spin move I can only do like 1/4 attempts (if you mess it up you fall into the abyss). Maybe I am just uncoordinated. Here is the level in case anyone wants a trip down memory lane.

EDIT while writing. I just watched this video...It never occurred to me I could shoot the explosive box without it blowing up. I watched another video and the guy was going a spin jump and catching the edge. 1:35 is the box I am talking about. (I also see in the comments people run out of ammo, so I need to be careful)

Spoiler

#1167 Corgstradamus   I have short legs CAGiversary!   4054 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Corgstradamus

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

Finished Battlefield 1 on PS4 and Doki Doki Universe . Going to start Mafia III on my PS4 and Grim Fandango on the Vita. 

#1168 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:53 AM

So I'm 18 hours into Pokémon Moon and about to hit Island #3
Enjoying it so far but think I am going to do a quick game for a change of pace once I hit hour20-25

#1169 bhk   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   834 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

Just beat Arkham Knight with 120% completion. Best Batman game ever made.

#1170 grrouchie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:25 AM

Just beat Arkham Knight with 120% completion. Best Batman game ever made.

I beat the game, I hated the focus on the ride...
City was much better