* * - - - 4 votes

Ouya $59 after promo code

#31 pmwolf   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Only thing it had any use for was emulation but hell you can emulate on a bunch of other devices. True ouya can do emulation out of the box, but why bother when you can just do a little work and emulate on a dozen other devices you probably already own.

1) Because I want to do that stuff on my huge TV.

2) Because if I want to have a kick-butt game of 4-player Super Bomberman on the SNES, I don't want to do it while huddling four people around my 17" laptop.

3) Because I don't want to screw with hooking up a PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone to my TV.

4) IT'S ONLY SIXTY BUCKS. (Fine, that's like a full-days wages for a minimum wage earner....).

#32 AngryNerdJosh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   559 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

AngryNerdJosh

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Want to have fun with your family playing games on your 4" cell phone?

Want to do the same on a 10" tablet?

Want to hook your phone to the TV and Bluetooth stack one controller to your phone?

Want to huddle everyone, including grandma, around the 19" computer monitor?

want one device that can accept four controllers, stays connected to your 65" TV and is easy to use?

If you said all no to all but the last you need an ouya.

#33 The Carrot Cake Kid   Luvs Creamy Frosting CAGiversary!   1272 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

The Carrot Cake Kid

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:58 PM

I saw these at Best Buy. They were holding up the Xbox One display.

LOL
Posted Image

#34 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2290 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Decided to pull the trigger on it for $60. I've wasted $60 on new 360/PS3 releases in the past, and from the magazine articles I've read, it seems to be a nifty gadget to own. Plus, this deal beats Target's $100 with a free $10 Ouya gift card deal that's running this week in-store that I was actually considering before I saw this. Knowing that I can buy $10 Ouya cards at my local Target means that it's more likely that I will use it. Thanks, OP.

#35 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15233 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

This is tempting, just for the emulation

#36 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   17747 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

IMHO, it was a mistake allowing emulators into the store. What dev is going to make any real effort on anything for OUYA when that means trying to compete with the metric ton of "free' games people are going to play in the emulators? It turned into an emulator box, which is fine for people that want that, but it didn't make it the INDIE darling it was supposed to be.

Crunchewy.png

#37 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   662 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

I'm waiting for it to be $30-$40 on a daily deal and even then it may just be for emulators. I heard there were emulators on it, is this still true?

#38 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15233 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

code seems to have died

#39 zewone   Thursday CAGiversary!   43156 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

lol.  I went to pull the trigger and the code no longer works.

#40 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   2637 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

Eh, Tegra 3 is getting a bit long in the tooth these days, if it had a Tegra 4 it might be more worth it.  Glad I didn't pony up for the Kickstarter for this, didn't seem worth it.

#41 yuyak   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   328 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

Last I heard/read, there's still no DTS-HD passthrough. Does anyone know for sure, one way or another?

#42 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4343 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

bojay1997

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

IMHO, it was a mistake allowing emulators into the store. What dev is going to make any real effort on anything for OUYA when that means trying to compete with the metric ton of "free' games people are going to play in the emulators? It turned into an emulator box, which is fine for people that want that, but it didn't make it the INDIE darling it was supposed to be.

Agreed.  They essentially killed their own business model.  Why bother buying classic-style newly developed games that actually cost money when you can emulate the thousands of actual classic games at no cost?  This thing was DOA and the fact that the same two units have been sitting at each of my local Targets since it was launched to retail is just evidence of how ridiculous the business plan behind the unit was.    

#43 DrZeiss   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   9 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

The code expired quick :(

#44 AngryNerdJosh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   559 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

AngryNerdJosh

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

According to Twitter they sold out of the promo allotment

#45 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   4666 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Sometimes I hate being right. There was no way this thing was going to do well. It's a great idea, but I could see huge execution issues from the very beginning. I would have jumped on the Kickstarter if I thought for a second this would survive. My friends bought into it and now they have nice paperweights. It's too bad they didn't go with a better OS. Droid is garbage. Probably would have been far too expensive to work with Apple or design their own from the ground up. When this thing hits $10-$20 I might buy one but even then I seriously doubt it.

#46 AngryNerdJosh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   559 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

AngryNerdJosh

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Good. Maybe someone that will enjoy it will buy it when it's that low.

#47 captpluto9465   CAGalicious CAGiversary!   397 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

captpluto9465

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

No DTS-HD, just DTS and DD 5.1.  That's probably more suitable for a HTPC.

Last I heard/read, there's still no DTS-HD passthrough. Does anyone know for sure, one way or another?

#48 GaveUpTomorrow   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1696 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

GaveUpTomorrow

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Sometimes I hate being right. There was no way this thing was going to do well. It's a great idea, but I could see huge execution issues from the very beginning. I would have jumped on the Kickstarter if I thought for a second this would survive. My friends bought into it and now they have nice paperweights. It's too bad they didn't go with a better OS. Droid is garbage. Probably would have been far too expensive to work with Apple or design their own from the ground up. When this thing hits $10-$20 I might buy one but even then I seriously doubt it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Android in itself, but they did do a horrible job with the interface overall.  Far better and more open than anything Apple would have released though.  The whole point of the Ouya is to have a system that is open for developers and users so that they can decide what direction to take.  If Apple would have had anything to do with the OS, it would have been locked down.  Nothing wrong with Apple per-say, but they just would not fit with a company that wants to give users open control of their devices...Android on the other hand fits perfect with that direction.

On another note, after finally deciding to purchase the Ouya earlier, the code died :(  Would have been using it for an Emulator machine.

#49 yuyak   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   328 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

No DTS-HD, just DTS and DD 5.1.  That's probably more suitable for a HTPC.

Thanks. I was wondering how I was going to justify this purchase to my wife after buying xb1, wiiU and a new NAS in the last month. This makes it easier. I'm looking for a media player w/ DTS-HD capability that can play files off my NAS, without having the shell out the $$$ for an HTPC. I was hoping this would do it, but might go with something like the micca ep100. 

Anyway, thanks again. 

#50 Danil ACE   Agent 47 CAGiversary!   1155 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have an Ouya, and I think it's great--for what it is. It's not replacing any console, but I have it hooked up to my XB1 and it works great for watching shows and movies. The Ouya sips energy, so I just leave it on all the time like a cable box .

#51 RiceQuakes Classic   The One, the Only.....RiceQuakes CAGiversary!   3638 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

RiceQuakes Classic

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

2) Because if I want to have a kick-butt game of 4-player Super Bomberman on the SNES, I don't want to do it while huddling four people around my 17" laptop.

3) Because I don't want to screw with hooking up a PC/Laptop/Tablet/Phone to my TV.

4) IT'S ONLY SIXTY BUCKS. (Fine, that's like a full-days wages for a minimum wage earner....).

Plugging in a HDMI cord is so hard!

C5CU5yg.gif?1efPcwsX.gifj5IniQc.gif

Spoiler

#52 Asgardian   Crazy Ass Game Collector CAGiversary!   900 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

I am so glad I woke from the hype and pulled my kickstarter order.

Personally, I would drop $100 on the Retron 5 than any amount on the ouya. 

Have a good read of the awesome FAQ by AtlanteanMan.
weapon05.gif
Come checkout the DAISENRYAKU discussion thread.
Show your support to bring more of this awesome strategy title to North America!

#53 Mr_hat   Banned Banned   659 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Mr_hat

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

3? You just plug in an hdmi cord and you're done.

If that's the only argument for owning a ouya then its no wonder its dead.

#54 JoshTX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1092 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Agree completely with all the talk regarding the Ouya business model. I like what they were trying to do for budding programmers, but it's a horrible sinkhole profit-wise.

That being said, it's an awesome emulator box. I probably won't use it for anything else but I really don't care at this point. It's small on my entertainment center, is quiet and uses little energy. When I get that itch to play some vintage game, which happens 3 or 4 times a month, it's there.

joshTX.png

#55 JaylisJayP   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4469 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

The OUYA for $60 should be considered a must buy.
The Amazing Frog
Flip Riders
emulation
Plex (something that only works good on ouya and ps3)
Xbmc for those that care.
No brakes valet
TOWERFALL which gets critical acclaim. You could buy a $400 ps3 to play it.

The only game above that cost anything is towerfall

There are games like plants vs zombies. My son plays one very similar.

Who the hell is still paying anywhere close to $400 for a PS3?

#56 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15233 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Got mine today. Probably won't get a chance to play around with it until after holidays though

#57 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2290 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

I know this thread is locked, but I got my Ouya from this deal today and didn't receive my $5 Ouya credit. Did anybody get one, and was it inside the box it came in?

#58 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15233 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:20 AM

I got mine in an email right after ordering -

"YOUR DISCOVER STORE CREDIT" was title of email