Save 15% off RETRO magazine

sparklepuss

CAGiversary!
RETRO magazine is proud to feature Comcept’s Mighty No. 9 on the cover of our premiere issue, and to help its fans share in the excitement, we’ve decided to offer a special subscription discount for the next 72 hours!

http://bit.ly/1dnKqDa

Enter the following promo code in the Promotion Code field below and receive a 15% discount on an annual subscription:

- DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION = MIGHTYNO9D
- PRINT SUBSCRIPTION = MIGHTYNO9P

RETRO is the new print and digital magazine dedicated to the past, present and future of RETRO gaming! Inside these pages are new and original columns and features from some of the best gaming journalists from the past 3-decades: Jeremy Parish, Pat The NES Punk, Seanbaby, Andy Eddy, Kat Bailey, Ed Semrad, Bob Mackey, Chris Kohler, Leonard Herman and MORE! Order your subscription today!

826cf4c542b9bec28df8b9094b297095_large.jpg

Can anyone convince me to get a year's subscription to this for the print? I haven't subscribed to a magazine in years... most of the time they just get put on a shelf and never looked at again. 

EDIT: Also, random question, but if I were to order this, I get a lot of my mail in a post office box... is there a way to avoid the magazines getting rolled up to death and bent in half before I even get them? That's what shies me away from magazines often times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone convince me to get a year's subscription to this for the print? I haven't subscribed to a magazine in years... most of the time they just get put on a shelf and never looked at again.

EDIT: Also, random question, but if I were to order this, I get a lot of my mail in a post office box... is there a way to avoid the magazines getting rolled up to death and bent in half before I even get them? That's what shies me away from magazines often times.
It has some good writers attached, but a lousy business model. They are trying to minimize advertising space and I believe their only retail outlet is Play N Trade. As such, I am skeptical that this will last the full year given that the Kickstarter money they raised wasn't all that much and was mostly a way to get subscriptions pre-sold and to sell a few ads.

Id like to see a magazine (physical copy) last. Growing up reading Gamepro, EGM and other game mags hardcore brings back memories. But times have changed. I dont see this lasting long enough.

I subscribed. I enjoy reading print magazines, especially PC Gamer, and have been collecting older mags for years now; even going to treat myself this Christmas for a sub to Retro Gamer; pricey, I know, but awesome nonetheless. 

If everyone who said, "This seems cool, but will never last..." subscribed, it would last.

In for one.
Incorrect. To have a successful magazine, you need both advertising and successful retail distribution. Subscriptions are generally used by publishers to have a basis to attract ads, but when you add printing and shipping costs, there is almost no profit in subscription sales. They need to rethink the model and lock in distribution and advertisers rather than depending on an ever dwindling pool of people willing to subscribe to magazines.

If everyone who said, "This seems cool, but will never last..." subscribed, it would last.

In for one.
The $30 doesn't even cover the printing job or shipping costs, so no, there's no guarantee it would last. If you look at the British game mags like Edge, Games TM, or Retro Gamer, they can survive because their country is much smaller - and also because subscriptions for those mags run for about $120 a year.

Yeah, you guys are right. Let's all not subscribe.

That'll give them the boost they need.
Or, instead of just throwing money at them, let's encourage them to take this amazing talent pool of writers they have put together and get a legitimate publisher behind it with an ad sales team and a distribution team. Publishing a magazine is not something that can be done successfully by amateurs or half-assed.

I would not say these industry veterans are "amateurs". Some of them probably have more years writing experience than you have lived. I love to read video game magazines at Barnes and Noble such as Games, Retro Gamer, Edge, and others. Sometimes I even buy one at $10 a pop so to get a year subscription for the price of 3 mags seems like a good deal to me.

Or, instead of just throwing money at them, let's encourage them to take this amazing talent pool of writers they have put together and get a legitimate publisher behind it with an ad sales team and a distribution team. Publishing a magazine is not something that can be done successfully by amateurs or half-assed.
and you still wouldn't subscribe.

I would not say these industry veterans are "amateurs". Some of them probably have more years writing experience than you have lived. I love to read video game magazines at Barnes and Noble such as Games, Retro Gamer, Edge, and others. Sometimes I even buy one at $10 a pop so to get a year subscription for the price of 3 mags seems like a good deal to me.
The publisher on the other hand is an amateur which is what I am personally concerned about. It's the same guy that regularly spams up various retro gaming boards with ads for his failed Ebay alternative, GameGavel. I just don't think he has any business sense and declaring that you aren't going to bother with trying to find many advertisers and having no real plan for newsstand distribution when the magazine business is already tough even if everything goes perfectly for a publisher is just suicide. In any event, the fact that they are already discounting subscriptions before release is not a good sign.

While I would love to subscribe, I want to be able to sample the mag first before subscribing.  Does anyone know if the first issue will be on sale for purchase anywhere besides Play N Trade?  The cover layout reminds me of the aborted second run of Gamefan that fizzled out a year ago.  

The reason why I will not subscribe at least at the beginning is that I've been burned by Dave Halverson (Gamefan, Gamers Republic & Play) more than a few times to remember regarding magazine subscriptions when said magazines have crashed and burned.  

I will be happy to purchase an issue directly just to see the general direction of the editorial, but until I know the magazine is a straight 'solid', I would rather have my $28 go towards a Retro Gamer subscription instead....

Hey Guys,

We have funded 1-year of RETRO with the KS campaign.  We are continuing to sell subs, to the tune of about 300 since November 5th KS campaign ended and we have only just begun to promote.  We have secured PNT stores as our exclusive "video game store" retailer, but they still have a 50 mile radius bubble around them in which other video game store retailers can sell the mag, and some of them are being set up as well.  As far as distrubition in to stores like B&N, Hastings Entertainment that is in the works through the largest magazine circulation company in the country.  It takes a bit of time to get that ball rolling because they need to preview an issue prior to getting it in the stores and those preview issues will go out in January when the premier issue ships.  Stuff like this doesn't happen overnight, but I think in the grand scheme of things no other company with significantly more money and resources than us, could have produced a magazine the quality of what we are putting out in the 2- months this went from a gleam in our eyes to the publishing of the first issue.

We are financially sound with the KS campaign doing what it was supposed to to, Kickstart a project.  Once this first issue hits mailboxes it will sell itself and that is something we are all confident in.

The reason we are running a discount now is because it will be promoted to the 67,000 backers who bought into Mighty No. 9 game (our main feature story) and we are giving them discount along with any others that want to get in on this rate.  It's only for a week or so then it will fall off and go back to the normal price.

We have a very knowledgeable staff from the all-star writing team to our Editorial Director, Brandon Justice to my Creative Director, Mark Kaminski.  There has never been a magazine with a more capable editorial, design or writing team, I can assure you.

And you can bet that the magazine and its soon to launch website, http://www.readretro.com as well as http://www.gamegavel.com will begin growing sidexside in its effort to give gamers both a great place to get their gaming entertainment and information as well as a much more populated and inexpensive place to buy and sell their gaming items.  It all fits together, content, commerce and community  :)

Now, go and preview a bit more of the premier issue here:  http://readretro.com/

While I would love to subscribe, I want to be able to sample the mag first before subscribing. Does anyone know if the first issue will be on sale for purchase anywhere besides Play N Trade? The cover layout reminds me of the aborted second run of Gamefan that fizzled out a year ago.

The reason why I will not subscribe at least at the beginning is that I've been burned by Dave Halverson (Gamefan, Gamers Republic & Play) more than a few times to remember regarding magazine subscriptions when said magazines have crashed and burned.

I will be happy to purchase an issue directly just to see the general direction of the editorial, but until I know the magazine is a straight 'solid', I would rather have my $28 go towards a Retro Gamer subscription instead....
I don't think that new run of Gamefan even lasted six issues. Play was a great magazine and had a good run but subscribers weren't the only ones left in the lurch as Dave Halverson stopped paying his staff even before that.

I'd already subscribed, but this would have been a good deal otherwise.  :)

I have high hopes for this magazine and expect it to be better than Edge and Retrogamer.  So many writers I recognize and enjoy, all in one place, and in print!  I get sick of how a lot of games media these days is people 12 years younger than me writing about Pokemon and Call of Duty.  I'm happy to support this.

This might be a stupid question, but do they also talk about modern games as well? In year's past, I've always seen it mostly focus on nostalgia of the NES days and such with a very little section about modern games. And how is the content? Is it a lengthy magazine? Just trying to justify $28 for only 6 issues.

I'd already subscribed, but this would have been a good deal otherwise. :)

I have high hopes for this magazine and expect it to be better than Edge and Retrogamer. So many writers I recognize and enjoy, all in one place, and in print! I get sick of how a lot of games media these days is people 12 years younger than me writing about Pokemon and Call of Duty. I'm happy to support this.
Just curious, but what could they do that would make it better than Edge or Retro Gamer? Those are two of the best game mags bar none. I'm actually wondering how Retro will differentiate itself from RG since the latter seems to have that niche locked down tight.

This might be a stupid question, but do they also talk about modern games as well? In year's past, I've always seen it mostly focus on nostalgia of the NES days and such with a very little section about modern games. And how is the content? Is it a lengthy magazine? Just trying to justify $28 for only 6 issues.
If you want to be pedantic, Mighty No. 9 won't release until 2015 so they are talking about a modern game. But check the table of contents in the preview above that ChaseTheChuckwagon llinked to. Their Kickstarter page mentioned that each issue will be about 48 pages.

Just curious, but what could they do that would make it better than Edge or Retro Gamer? Those are two of the best game mags bar none. I'm actually wondering how Retro will differentiate itself from RG since the latter seems to have that niche locked down tight.
I'd have to do more reading of it to give a qualified answer. I was going to pick up an issue locally (it's expensive!), but I just wasn't all that interested in the writers or the articles. It is entirely possible I might be thinking of something totally different, though. Now I'm doubting myself.

First issue is 68 pages (64+4).  We will add to the length as we grow, hopefully starting with #3.  Our goal is to have 1 page of adverts per every 10  pages of content.  We want a magazine rich in content with limited adverts, although adverts are fun to read, especially years down the road.  One of my favorite things to read in the old mags is the ads :)

We will very soon have our content site up at ReadRetro.com.  It will complement the magazine with more up to date retro news, reviews, editorials, previews, etc.  We will also use the content site to include stuff cut from the magazine, like extended length interviews.  It's going to be a great site with a lot of great writers and content as well.  Coming soon!

I bet you only play AAA games and watch blockbuster movies too- because they just pop up out of thin air like magic!

I bet you only play AAA games and watch blockbuster movies too- because they just pop up out of thin air like magic!
No, I actually support lots of Kickstarter and indie projects. What I won't do is support projects like this that in my opinion aren't well thought out and run by someone with a poor track record for starting and successfully operating a business.

I have no problem with the product, the price, the ads, or anything else except for the fact that I no longer have time to read magazines :whistle2:(

o

Id like to see a magazine (physical copy) last. Growing up reading Gamepro, EGM and other game mags hardcore brings back memories. But times have changed. I dont see this lasting long enough.
EGM started up again but its dumber then ever. There are two versions of the EGM now Sony and Microsoft.

So if you have PS4 and xbox one you're screwed. Have to choose one or you're favorite.

In for one.
Not exactly this magazine was funded with a kickstarter.

If you know anything about kickstarters then you know they don't always go as planned.

This isn't like the staff of Nintendo power where they announce the last issue ahead of time and compensate consumers who still had time left on their sub.

This company will come to a sudden stop and you'll be fighting for compensation.

I too want physical magazines back and was happy to see EGM back in stores. Disappointed that they spilt it into two versions for each next gen console though.

I just got two 3DS limited editions one to keep sealed. Now is the first time I have something Nintendo that is current gen since gamecube and GBA and now no Nintendo power.

I have about 80 gameinformers at my dad's house in FL so I am thinking of subbing to them. They cover everything like gamepro and EGM used to do. $25 for two years is pretty nice too/

o

EGM started up again but its dumber then ever. There are two versions of the EGM now Sony and Microsoft.

So if you have PS4 and xbox one you're screwed. Have to choose one or you're favorite.
What? EGM has been back for years. They are bi-monthly, but are horrible at being consistent about it...more like 4-5 a year. There are two new "launch guides" out by EGM, one for the XBox 1 and one for the PS4, but that's not the "normal" mag. Then again, the last issue had a shelf life date until 12/15/13...and the new one (262) is nowhere to be seen. Sigh.

bread's done
Back