PS3 RPGs?

wsk909

CAGiversary!
I'm looking for some good RPGs or JRPGs for the PS3. Specifically, I'd like something with a progressive/tiered class or job system (like Ragnarok Online or FFXIV, where classes/jobs progress like from Mage -> Wizard -> Sage etc). They're a dime a dozen on PC, especially as MMOs but I really dislike MMOs. If they have even a half decent story to go along with it, even better.

Thanks.

Check out Ni No Kuni. It doesn't have the job/tier system that you mentioned but it is one of the best JRPGs that I've played this generation.

Tales of Xillia and Ni No Kuni. Both are critically acclaimed JRPGs. Both have gorgeous visuals and solid stories. Both can be had for quite reasonable prices at this point. Both are exclusive to the PS3.

Demon's Souls is awesome and should be played, but the class system is completely irrelevant. Additionally, the story isn't very center to the experience of the game; a good deal of it is found through talking to npcs (some of them in very out of the way places), item descriptions, etc. The story is fairly deep, intricate, and pretty sad, but you'll need to go off and find it for yourself. Not a whole lot of it is given to you up front. It's also not much of a traditional jRPG in combat or art and visual style.

It should be played, though. Wanted to emphasize that. It's the best game of this generation, I think. Dark Souls is also excellent, and if you like Demon's you'll probably enjoy it, but a few design decisions knocks it down a peg or two.

I've been playing Ni No Kuni quite a bit lately and am loving it. Your main characters don't progress in a job system, but your Familiars (the monsters you control) follow an upgrade system where you can upgrade their forms and they become more powerful. At one point you get to choose which direction they take as far as their abilities go.

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - supposed to be a dungeon crawler with a class system PC and PS3.

Skyrim/Oblivion - I haven't played this, but several friends have and they love how you can change your character, or so they say.

That's all I could really find with specific job systems. I love the Tales Of... series, and I've heard great things about the Dark/Demons Souls games. Dark Souls 2 is supposed to be out in 2014 as well.

Oblivion's world is rich with history and details (though its dungeons are pretty generic), but it's combat is rather bland. It's leveling system also Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Mobs level up with you so if you don't level "efficiently" then leveling up actually makes you weaker by comparison. I've never played skyrim, so I can't say for sure if they improved the leveling system in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back