3DS design flaws: How bad?

Czak

CAGiversary!
You know, you'd think I'd be off the hook this year. After getting my kid brother a Vita and brother-in-law a 3DS XL for Christmas, my cousin wants a Cosmo Black 3DS for his birthday in two weeks. 

My siblings and I are going to pitch in and get him one. At least, we will unless those much-talked about design flaws are as bad as I've feared.

I'm referring to the top screen being scratched by the bottom screen when its closed, as well as the D-pad cracking.

How bad are these issues? He's a teenager and will take care of the console (I hope). If I get him a HORI screen protector, is the scratching still an issue?

Also, I've read about putting a microfiber cloth in between the top and bottom screens when its closed. Does this help?

I'm attempting to talk him into an XL, but he is on the go quite a bit and wants the portability of the 3DS. He also likes the glossy finish, as opposed to the matte (I know, I know).

Before I pull the trigger on this handheld (which isn't on sale anywhere!), I'm hoping to get a bit more info.

As always, thank you to my fellow CAGs for their help.

I have an original and with a screen protector I've had no problems with screen scratching. You can definitely see where it leaves a mark, but it just wipes away with the protector in place.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with this d-pad cracking issue.

I have an original and with a screen protector I've had no problems with screen scratching. You can definitely see where it leaves a mark, but it just wipes away with the protector in place.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with this d-pad cracking issue.
All things being equal, would you rather have an XL?

I actually bought a black 3ds XL about 4 weeks ago and it was my first nintendo handheld since the gameboy SP, so I was completely new to the whole DualScreen series.

At first, I really liked it. The size wasn't all too bad. It was somewhat comfortable in my hands but would still cramp after a while. The screen size was pretty nice too.

I somehow found out about the gameboy Micro and my decent into madness with getting a smaller console began. I went insane researching the micro man. I loved the size of that thing. I ended up making a real-scale model of it using paper. I shit you not, I am quite insane.

Here is a picture.

Yeah man, those are tiny little pieces of paper I cut and taped on there. I really wanted to see the size.

Anyways, after making that model I pretty much gave up hope on the micro as it was just way too tiny.

I don't really remember when it was that I thought back to a video I saw that compared 3ds 3ds XL and DS lite. I thought to myself, there was this one console that had a sweet glossy finish (don't really like gloss) but it looked really sexy and the inside of it was really sexy too. Then I remembered the size was perfect too. Of course I'm talking about the original 3DS.

Man I rushed over to best buy and bought the original 3DS because I knew I had a 45-day extended return policy (best buy club or something) on my XL and it was only 12 days past the date of purchase.

(oh and yeah they did accept the return no reduction/fee/problems. I returned the XL 2 days after)

Best freakin decision of my life!

The 3DS design is EXCELLENT! --- for me. It's just the perfect size --- again, for me. I just loved it the first second I opened it up. Oh and the picture quality is SO much sharper since the resolution is the exact on the 3DS and XL - it's just the XL streches out on a larger screen. Most people say the XL is fine, but I just go insane comparing the two. Even though the original screen is 90% smaller, the sharper image is just wayyyyy more beautiful ---- to me. Oh hands down, the speaker quality is better on the original xD not important though lol.

What I'm trying to get at is it REALLY depends on the person. There are so many different factors to consider. First you have to determine what your cousin truly cares about.

Screen size? Sharper quality graphics? Portability?

Since you said he is on the go, it seems that the original is a better fit. But is that what concerns him the most? Being able to take it anywhere? What if he actually prefers the larger screen? You could still somewhat fit the XL into your back pocket, it's just a little bit more of a tight fit.

As far as the top screen being scratched by the bottom, I thought I read that about the XL. I actually noticed some strange markings on my XL when opening it up (from the closed positon, not new from the box duh), but nothing that couldn't be wiped away - but of course I did have screen protectors on both screens.

But with my original 3DS - I have not experienced a single scratch on the screens - before/after opening/closing the lid. I actually just took a look at it and it looks like there are two tabs on the lid, left and right that make contact with the bottom part, so I think those are blocking the top screen from making contact with the bottom screen.

Microfiber cloth will help. I actually had a tablet that had a case on it that was a little too tight when closed and would leave a mark on the screen. I ended up putting a cloth on the screen before closing up the case and it would be perfect with no marks when opening up. So it would be the same in this situation.

As far as the dpad, I just have not had it long enough to comment from personal experience but I have read that it's a little different from the XL. I'm not sure which, but one of them is more 'clickly' than the other. I think it was the XL because the original seems perfect to me.

Quick little tip about gloss and matte finishes - you can always get a DecalGirl skin. All of their skins come with an option of gloss or matte finish. You can even get an originary color skin to match the color of the 3DS if you don't want an actual design or something that stands out - you just want to change from gloss to matte finish or vise versa.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually bought a black 3ds XL about 4 weeks ago and it was my first nintendo handheld since the gameboy SP, so I was completely new to the whole DualScreen series.

At first, I really liked it. The size wasn't all too bad. It was somewhat comfortable in my hands but would still cramp after a while. The screen size was pretty nice too.

I somehow found out about the gameboy Micro and my decent into madness with getting a smaller console began. I went insane researching the micro man. I loved the size of that thing. I ended up making a real-scale model of it using paper. I shit you not, I am quite insane.

Here is a picture.

Yeah man, those are tiny little pieces of paper I cut and taped on there. I really wanted to see the size.

Anyways, after making that model I pretty much gave up hope on the micro as it was just way too tiny.

I don't really remember when it was that I thought back to a video I saw that compared 3ds 3ds XL and DS lite. I thought to myself, there was this one console that had a sweet glossy finish (don't really like gloss) but it looked really sexy and the inside of it was really sexy too. Then I remembered the size was perfect too. Of course I'm talking about the original 3DS.

Man I rushed over to best buy and bought the original 3DS because I knew I had a 45-day extended return policy (best buy club or something) on my XL and it was only 12 days past the date of purchase.

(oh and yeah they did accept the return no reduction/fee/problems. I returned the XL 2 days after)

Best freakin decision of my life!

The 3DS design is EXCELLENT! --- for me. It's just the perfect size --- again, for me. I just loved it the first second I opened it up. Oh and the picture quality is SO much sharper since the resolution is the exact on the 3DS and XL - it's just the XL streches out on a larger screen. Most people say the XL is fine, but I just go insane comparing the two. Even though the original screen is 90% smaller, the sharper image is just wayyyyy more beautiful ---- to me. Oh hands down, the speaker quality is better on the original xD not important though lol.

What I'm trying to get at is it REALLY depends on the person. There are so many different factors to consider. First you have to determine what your cousin truly cares about.

Screen size? Sharper quality graphics? Portability?

Since you said he is on the go, it seems that the original is a better fit. But is that what concerns him the most? Being able to take it anywhere? What if he actually prefers the larger screen? You could still somewhat fit the XL into your back pocket, it's just a little bit more of a tight fit.

As far as the top screen being scratched by the bottom, I thought I read that about the XL. I actually noticed some strange markings on my XL when opening it up (from the closed positon, not new from the box duh), but nothing that couldn't be wiped away - but of course I did have screen protectors on both screens.

But with my original 3DS - I have not experienced a single scratch on the screens - before/after opening/closing the lid. I actually just took a look at it and it looks like there are two tabs on the lid, left and right that make contact with the bottom part, so I think those are blocking the top screen from making contact with the bottom screen.

Microfiber cloth will help. I actually had a tablet that had a case on it that was a little too tight when closed and would leave a mark on the screen. I ended up putting a cloth on the screen before closing up the case and it would be perfect with no marks when opening up. So it would be the same in this situation.

As far as the dpad, I just have not had it long enough to comment from personal experience but I have read that it's a little different from the XL. I'm not sure which, but one of them is more 'clickly' than the other. I think it was the XL because the original seems perfect to me.

Quick little tip about gloss and matte finishes - you can always get a DecalGirl skin. All of their skins come with an option of gloss or matte finish. You can even get an originary color skin to match the color of the 3DS if you don't want an actual design or something that stands out - you just want to change from gloss to matte finish or vise versa.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for that feedback, man. Glad you're happy with the 3DS, too.

But that Micro you made is pretty darn sweet. I'd buy that if I came across it in stores. Though I'm not sure my cousin would be very happy.

We own (2) 3DS XL's, (1) 3DS and now (2) 2DS's.  Not to mention (7) Dsi's, Dsi Lite's, DSI Xl's and never had one issue with any of them.

I wouldn't worry about those issues.

We own (2) 3DS XL's, (1) 3DS and now (2) 2DS's. Not to mention (7) Dsi's, Dsi Lite's, DSI Xl's and never had one issue with any of them.

I wouldn't worry about those issues.
holy bananas! that is a lot what do you do with them all?

I put skins & screen protectors on all of ours and haven't seen any issues at all.  For the kids I got the clear case as well and I use a grip which adds another bit of protection & makes the 3DS feel like a Xbox 360 controller.

I had it a week and there are two small scratches on the touch screen, so buy screen protectors.  Otherwise I have never heard any issues.

holy bananas! that is a lot what do you do with them all?
Just display them LOL.. I have a large handheld collection.. That's just a small sample of what we have for nintendo handhelds. LOL, Trying to purchase another 5 today off craigslist... :)

All things being equal, would you rather have an XL?
I pretty much agree with what Rathblaze had to say. I prefer the portability, speaker quality, and 3D effect of the 3DS. Screen size on the XL is fantastic, but it severely limits my portability. I have an Animal Crossing XL, but it mostly stays home.

Well idk what people are doing with theres. But, I had the Zelda 3DS for a year plus before my XL. No screen protectors, and never once had the bottom and too screens touch, let alone leave any sort of marks.

That being said, I do enjoy the portability of the 3DS, but I enjoy my XL more. You really can't go wrong either way.

Well, I stopped by a Gamestop while running errands this evening. They happened to have a Luigi's Mansion 3DS bundle. Last one in the area, the guy told me.

So instead of the Cosmo Black 3DS, I'll be gifting the Cobalt Blue 3DS.

Between trade-ins and leftover credit, I walked out of there with the bundle for $4. 

The original 3DS is fantastic for portability.

Before upgrading to the XL, I had the original purple one and it was a great console to carry around in my pocket. The slick finish made it easy to slip in and out of my jeans nicely. 

If they want something for pocket portability I highly recommend the original.

For my gaming needs though I was much better suited for an XL since I play mostly at home.  It's not nearly as portable, but it's perfect for couch/table play or carrying around in a backpack.  I love the thing, the screen size makes it feel like a movable console.

I love my XL.  It's the perfect size for my big hands.  I put screen protectors on it when I first got it, and haven't had any scratches.

I have 2 3DS OGs and have not had any major troubles.

I recommend screen protectors, but they aren't as necessary as it was for the DS series. Most 3DS games use the touch screen for menus or inventory and stuff, so you can just use your finger. Only a handful of games will require the stylus.

My XL fits easily in my pocket.  I dunno what you all are talking about.  What do you mean, "You're 6'4", of course it fits in your pockets".  LIES, LIES AND SLANDER!  About the screen thing, I've never had a screen protector on any of my DSes (and yes, I had a 3ds as well), and I've never had any issues.  I've also never had a dpad break.  The only issue I've ever had was with the DS lite the right shoulder button would stop working.  The screen on the top being marked is not an issue as it wipes right off (it leaves some kind of funky residue), or you could just get a 3ds XL because the bottom screen indentation doesn't touch the top screen on that.  There's one more issue of the 3ds vs. the 3ds xl, the battery life, especially if you play in 3d.  The 3ds' battery life is complete shit, but they fixed it with the 3ds xl.  If he's going to be on the go a lot, he's going to want the system with more battery life.  Of course, there's also the much much much larger screen with the much much larger sweet spot for 3d (the sweet spot for 3d on the 3ds is a very specific small distance from it, whereas the 3d sweet spot on the 3ds xl is much larger, and a bit further away.)  BTW, there's nothing wrong with using your finger instead of the stylus, but use your fingernail not the pad.

I have had my XL for over a year with no screen protectors and I have no scratches. Only thing I don't like is the top screen feels like it coud break the hinges.

My XL is the Mario and Luigi bundle and is only like two weeks old and I see a lot of light scratches on the bottom screen.

Its because Mario and Luigi dream team is heavy on the stylus for using Luiginary works.

Spinning Luigi's nose in circles to spin these pillars left scratches going in a circle.

Luckily for me I did put a set of screen protectors on.

The top screen scratching the bottom screen is VERY real. Luckily i have a screen protector on mine so i was able to kinda wipe it off, but i was watching for it. Both my cousin and I tested it and had it on our 3ds's. As you mentioned its kinda easy to fix though, just keep something soft between the two when you close it thought its kinda a pain to keep doing so. What I did was just keep the little foam insert they had there instead of throwing it away. I just put it back between the screens when i put it back in my case.

Thats the only problem ive had with it though. No other issues. I actually prefer the 3DS to the XL. Theres a noticeable dip in speaker quality on my XL from my 3DS and i think the bigger screen actually looks worse on some games.

The top screen scratching the bottom screen is VERY real. Luckily i have a screen protector on mine so i was able to kinda wipe it off, but i was watching for it. Both my cousin and I tested it and had it on our 3ds's. As you mentioned its kinda easy to fix though, just keep something soft between the two when you close it thought its kinda a pain to keep doing so. What I did was just keep the little foam insert they had there instead of throwing it away. I just put it back between the screens when i put it back in my case.

Thats the only problem ive had with it though. No other issues. I actually prefer the 3DS to the XL. Theres a noticeable dip in speaker quality on my XL from my 3DS and i think the bigger screen actually looks worse on some games.
You mean the bottom screen scratching the top screen, right? I've never heard of the opposite.

bread's done
Back