2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Billytwoshoes

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I guess I'll start this thread for the year after all, post whatever you find at your local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers, and the like).  Video game related or not, if it's a good deal, go ahead and share it with the CAG community.

I might go through the old 2013 thread sometime and catalog the best scores and update this post just for fun, we'll see who "won" at thrifting for that year.

Off the top of my head, I remember a boxed Sega CDX for around $40, a complete copy of Suikoden II for $3, and a few awesome PS1 and SNES lots.  Of course let's not forget about the Stadium Events game as well (that find is in a class of itself), though I don't think that was someone on CAG.  I'll update the right information when I find it.

Top Finds from the 2013 Thread (in no particular order):

** If I'm missing a great find, just let me know, though I'll update this when I have time **

As for 2014, yesterday I stopped by a local church operated thrift store, which doesn't get much rotation, but the prices are yard sale types.  Picked up a copy of Blokus that I've always wanted to give a shot for a buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to a Methodist thrift store the day after New Years and bought some pants. Went home, put them on, stuck my hand into the pocket and guess what was in there? 
a penis but it was just mine sticking up through a hole in the pocket
so that was cool.

Still, a pretty great find imho though.

Completely forgot about this thread last year. This was easily my best find last year though.

zLdAePZ.jpg

Bunch of old C64 games. Cost $2.99 each and Wasteland had been easily selling for $100+ on ebay when I sold it. Seems to have cooled off a bit now.

Found a few Guitar Hero controllers today, all for the wii. 2 have non working whammy bars, other 2 work fine. Paid $6 for 1 and $9 for 3 at a different store. Also grabbed 2 drum pedals for $3 each and a ps3 drum set for $10. Going to test the drum set tomorrow but it looks in very good condition, might actually keep it.

I don't usually toot my own horn but I did find Guardian Heroes (Saturn) and Popful Mail (Sega CD) (both complete) at a library for $1 total.
I forgot about that one, definitely worth adding to the list. It's rare to find any complete Sega CD or Saturn game in the wild, and the fact that you found them in a library was even more bizarre.

Today, randomly went to a GW after taking the GF to the mall for some clothes shopping.

Pokémon Master Trainer Board Game- $1.80 (after student discount)

Looks like it has never been played and that all the pieces are there, gonna have to take the character chips and count 'em...all

Today, randomly went to a GW after taking the GF to the mall for some clothes shopping.

Pokémon Master Trainer Board Game- $1.80 (after student discount)

Looks like it has never been played and that all the pieces are there, gonna have to take the character chips and count 'em...all
I've found two copies of that last year... I still haven't gotten around to counting everything. At least I can piece one complete game together if need be

Haven't been to a thrift store this year yet. Closest one to me is Liberty thrift and they usually have some good stuff. Speaking of great finds, last year my friends dad found the Vectrex 3D Imager.....sealed.

I've got a feeling that this years thread will be the slowest one yet, I haven't found a decent score at a thrift in months. Between increased competition, higher prices, and the fact that the thrifts themselves have caught on to the game lf selling collectibles online now, the days of making good or even decent scores on a regular basis are almost all gone. Also the fact that new avenues for selling collectibles have opened up, Facebook groups, Craigslist, local retro gaming stores, a lot of stuff that previously been dumped off at Goodwill is now getting sold for cash instead.

I have yet to find a OMFG score at a Thrift Store in such a long time. Either I always miss out, or the stores I hit up are dry and/or too expensive for my tastes.

Today's goodwill pick-ups were somewhat good.

ps2 fat with 2 av cables-$10

original xbox with cords-$7.50

3 wired gray N64 controllers(tight analog sticks)-$5/each

Family guy volume 1-3 -$4/each

Halo 1 and 2 -$5/both

3 pokemon VHS-$0.45/all (for my brother)

Jay-Z the black album CD-$2

How much was the Vetctrex thingy
15$ for that, a Vectrex, and like 15 games.

Funny story actually. My friends dad is a huge reseller. A few months before that my friend found $500 worth of Turbografix 16 gear at a yardsale for $20. Only knowing the big name consoles, his dad passed on it and looked it all up on Ebay later for a big surprise. Sadly, he never made the mistake again. Lesson learned. Know your video game companies kids :)

Not a bad day several weeks ago. Ended up getting this beautiful Slingbox Pro HD for $24 or so after tax due to it being half off. The funny part is this sat in the corner by the register for most of this year originally marked at $99.99 but eventually they dropped it to $45.99. None of their employees even knew what it does despite the box being very clear (I know reading is HARD, right).

Regardless I waited out until the "purple tag" sale came up which somehow I always managed to forget. Yet somehow it sat there with nobody paying any attention which I attribute largely to either employees not knowing what they are selling and/or the rest of their customers unaware of it sitting there (and probably themselves knowing typical Salvation Army customers wouldn't know what to do with it).

So far it's working perfectly good. Everything brand new in the box as well.

today, after stopping by the office, I went to the GW by where I work (usually in and out in 5...that's what your mom said too). Saw a boxed N64 game in the case, walked up and it was Mario Kart- marked $39.99.

Not for that price. Its a thrift store after all.

Nice on the GCN games, that is one thing I haven't been seeing in the past few months, which are worthwhile titles for the Cube.  I still keep finding good PS2 and PS1 games, but none for that platform.

I picked up an original white GCN compatible Wii with all the hookups for $30 at Goodwill, which is higher then I'd normally spend (I keep saying that about consoles), but I bought it to see if my brother wanted it.  I may get lucky and have a title in the disc tray, I'll find out later when I have time to test it.

When I go to thrift stores if I find anything of remote value it's either is really bad condition, majorly overpriced, or both.

I'm of the belief that it's a THRIFT store and therefore stuff should be THRIFTY PRICED as in CHEAP.

All of the thrift stores in my area (there is honestly like 30+) have crap pricing on most everything.  You can tell they are trying to turn a profit and not donating that money to different charities as they so claim.  If you're trying to move stuff make prices better....that beats sitting there for 6+ months not moving and waiting for that one person to come along that might be willing to pay that.

Since I've moved here in June I haven't come across any gaming finds worth bringing home with me.  Best stuff I got was 2 Nike hoodies, a Nike pullover, and a pair of Vibrams....everything looked brand new and cost me like $20 total across 3 trips.

today, after stopping by the office, I went to the GW by where I work (usually in and out in 5...that's what your mom said too). Saw a boxed N64 game in the case, walked up and it was Mario Kart- marked $39.99.

Not for that price. Its a thrift store after all.
It's kind of sad really. Most Goodwills are slowly beginning to look up everything that comes in.

It's kind of sad really. Most Goodwills are slowly beginning to look up everything that comes in.
Yeah, I have a Goodwill by me that most definitely look up anything game-related on eBay. They also have no idea how to look up stuff on eBay. They just see the first couple listings and automatically assume it's worth that much, they don't judge it by condition or if it's complete or not.

A while ago they had a cart only - and very bad condition - copy of Mario Kart N64 for $40 or something, sure enough I looked online and seen one COMPLETE that sold for around $40.

Although, it doesn't help when people come in and buy some of this overpriced junk though. I've seen some people who know there are valuable video games out there but know nothing about them, pay way over market value on some stuff.

It is what it is. I still go to a few Goodwill's in my area and find some stuff from time to time. I just like the thrill of the hunt more than anything.

Yeah, I have a Goodwill by me that most definitely look up anything game-related on eBay. They also have no idea how to look up stuff on eBay. They just see the first couple listings and automatically assume it's worth that much, they don't judge it by condition or if it's complete or not.

A while ago they had a cart only - and very bad condition - copy of Mario Kart N64 for $40 or something, sure enough I looked online and seen one COMPLETE that sold for around $40.

Although, it doesn't help when people come in and buy some of this overpriced junk though. I've seen some people who know there are valuable video games out there but know nothing about them, pay way over market value on some stuff.

It is what it is. I still go to a few Goodwill's in my area and find some stuff from time to time. I just like the thrill of the hunt more than anything.
Exactly my thoughts. Even Yard Sales are starting to take a hit with all of these resellers..

Yep, yard sales too are getting bad. I notice if I don't go out right away in the morning, on the first day of the sale, anything remotely interesting will be gone. 

I don't mind the other guys like me that enjoy video games and love finding great deals, it's the resellers who know nothing about video games that irk me. Many of them also tend to be dicks.

to those comments I say, if i want to pay ebay prices i would go to ebay. literally heard a manager say when discussing pricing with an employee "its 129.99 retail, so mark it xxx". :(

Today's Goodwill Pick-ups

-NBA 2K14 (Xbox One) -$25 (first xbox one game I've seen at a goodwill)

-Mettalica and justice for all CD -$2

-2 NIN CDs -$2 each

-Star Wars edition monopoly -$4

-3 Fifa Soccer 13(Wii U)(new/sealed)-$7 each

to those comments I say, if i want to pay ebay prices i would go to ebay. literally heard a manager say when discussing pricing with an employee "its 129.99 retail, so mark it xxx". :(
Yes, I 100% agree.

That is what a lot of people simply don't understand. Buying on eBay is easy. I could literally lay in bed, pull up eBay on my phone and buy something. I get buyer protection and I know if something works if it's been tested already. Many sellers on eBay have return policies.

When I buy something at a yard sale or a thrift store, I probably don't have the option to return if it doesn't work. Also I'm wasting gas/time to find stuff. Why would I pay eBay prices for that? They also don't take into account the fees and time it takes to list things on eBay.

But if I bring that up at a yard sale they usually just ignore me so I've given up trying to talk sense into people.

I remembered this thread today after I left work and had the urge to visit my local Goodwill.

Saw a copy of Links Crossbow Training for...wait....$9.99.  8-[

Found a Sega Pico at a terrible thrift I almost never stop in. I already have one (for $00.49 last year) and the game in it is another copy of the only one I have, but for $3.83 I couldn't leave it behind. A buddy of mine will appreciate it.

I had a fun pick up yesterday, the Qwirkle board game was $4 (complete), the official Sony gold-plated connector component cable was $2, and the CIB Wildfire LED pinball game was $3.  Works perfectly fine, not surprising considering the fact that someone kept all the papers / packing material for over 30 years (and in good shape).

med_gallery_350075_7875_139079.jpg

med_gallery_350075_7875_146611.jpg

I did find a couple of those old YuGiOh duel disk launchers and they seem to sell for about $50+ on eBay? I thought they were worth something and I picked them up since they were only priced at $1.99. Guess that's a good find. Gotta figure out how it works though.

I had a fun pick up yesterday, the Qwirkle board game was $4 (complete), the official Sony gold-plated connector component cable was $2, and the CIB Wildfire LED pinball game was $3. Works perfectly fine, not surprising considering the fact that someone kept all the papers / packing material for over 30 years (and in good shape).

med_gallery_350075_7875_139079.jpg
med_gallery_350075_7875_146611.jpg
dood, I played that qwirkle game with a client and his family. He is a 6 year old gifted student with Autism, and his parents are both well educated. We had a hell of a time figuring it out, the rules seemed "cloudy" but overall its a fun time. good score.

Went to a couple stores today, at the first (dingy grimey thrift shop) there were a bunch of kid geared GBC games for 2 bucks a piece. and a Halo 3 guide...for 5 dollars.

After work on the way home stopped by a GW I have never been to before (its on the other side of town) and they had a gang load of ps1 and ps2 games, all sports titles. Guitar Hero 3 and World Tour guitar sets complete for PS3 (with the wireless things) and a rockband set. None of those were what I would buy, but kind of happy to see so much stuff. I did grab a disc only Call of Duty 2 for 360 and World Championship Soccer for genesis (with the box) for 2 bucks each though.

The other day though, found the holy grail- fuck for SNES! Perfect for retro game night! it was 5 bucks, and they had Aladdin and The Lion King for SNES at the same price, but passed on those as I have them for genesis. Also bought a pair of Madden Girl heels for 4 bucks that are going to be one half of the first set of items my gf and I are putting on ebay. Never sold on there before, but we decided to kind of start a little "store" hers being clothes purses shoes and such, mine being games and such. wish us luck!

Good luck on the eBay store!

I always try to have some stuff up on eBay, it's kinda fun when you're not dealing with douchebag buyers and luckily for me, I've had pretty good luck with that. I basically use it to fund my gaming hobby. I wanted to pick up an Xbox One back in November, so I sold stuff on eBay, made over $500 and I had more than enough for the system and a couple games. It works out.

Good luck on the eBay store!

I always try to have some stuff up on eBay, it's kinda fun when you're not dealing with douchebag buyers and luckily for me, I've had pretty good luck with that. I basically use it to fund my gaming hobby. I wanted to pick up an Xbox One back in November, so I sold stuff on eBay, made over $500 and I had more than enough for the system and a couple games. It works out.
Thanks! I am kind of hoping it will add a few bucks in my pocket since working less than part time due to grad school finds me a bit on the broke side (maybe help fund my gaming desires and needs). I thinking that my girlfriend will either put the money away and save it or just go shopping for girl stuff with it. we both like going to thrift stores and I am hoping it might spark that "entrepreneur/small business" idea in here head, not trying to buy a Porsche with any money made, but just having extra spending cash would be nice!

The other day though, found the holy grail- fuck for SNES! Perfect for retro game night! it was 5 bucks, and they had Aladdin and The Lion King for SNES at the same price, but passed on those as I have them for genesis. Also bought a pair of Madden Girl heels for 4 bucks that are going to be one half of the first set of items my gf and I are putting on ebay. Never sold on there before, but we decided to kind of start a little "store" hers being clothes purses shoes and such, mine being games and such. wish us luck!
It's funny to see fuck used in the proper sense for once on this site, fun find. Also, good luck on selling on eBay, I find it enjoyable just to make a little extra spending money as you put it. I don't go crazy and buy everything I find, being selective on what you pick up to flip keeps it more entertaining for me. Helps pay for the other half of things I do end up keeping.

I had to help my sister with some car shit today out of town, so I hit basically GW between here and there. Some good stuff

Silent Hill Homecoming  Soundtrack $2

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Gamecube (Players Choice) $2.50

Forza 4 Essentials- $2.50

FEAR - $2.50

Call of Duty 2 360 Disc Only (second copy in 24 hours?)- $2

Genesis Model 1 console- $10

not too bad for just screwing around all day.

I did find a couple of those old YuGiOh duel disk launchers and they seem to sell for about $50+ on eBay? I thought they were worth something and I picked them up since they were only priced at $1.99. Guess that's a good find. Gotta figure out how it works though.
Nice find, another example of expanding your hobby knowledge when thrifting. I found the first 4 starter decks from yugioh awhile ago. Complete and mint, paid 5 bucks for the 4 and a bunch of other super and ultra rares. Got at least 50 for each deck and sold the rest in a lot for 30

Had to make a long roadtrip today but stopped at a goodwill I've never been to before and got a copy of Gabriel Knight Mysteries... and now that I'm looking it up, I should've dug through the book section a little more to see if I could find the paperback it could've originally came with.

This past week I have bought Donkey Kong Country for the GBA CIB for $6 at Savers and Pokemon X CIB with unredeemed Club Nintendo Points for $20 at goodwill

keeping both

Nice find, another example of expanding your hobby knowledge when thrifting. I found the first 4 starter decks from yugioh awhile ago. Complete and mint, paid 5 bucks for the 4 and a bunch of other super and ultra rares. Got at least 50 for each deck and sold the rest in a lot for 30
Wow, didn't know those old decks went for so much. Ha, wish I kept mine intact as a kid. I'm sure I have all the cards somewhere as I never threw anything away or got rid of stuff like that, but I'm sure the condition is far from mint.

It's always a good idea to expand your horizons a bit further than your norm when going thrift store hunting. Granted, I mostly do it for the video games because that's what I enjoy the most, but it helps to find stuff like those YuGiOh disk launchers that can make up for the time/gas I use.

Apparently, the Start Deck Yugi Oh Dark Magician Card is worth some money now, since the artwork for the card has been discontinued.

Today I picked up
$5 ps1 chrono cross
$5 ps1 parasite eve
$5 ps1 fear effect
$1 ps2 metal gear solid collection
$9 ps2 marvel vs capcom 2(GS)

I was really surprised with the condition of the ps1 disc they are very good condition only a little dust and they are %100 complete. Just need to carefully peel away a gamestop sticker lol

Had to make a long roadtrip today but stopped at a goodwill I've never been to before and got a copy of Gabriel Knight Mysteries... and now that I'm looking it up, I should've dug through the book section a little more to see if I could find the paperback it could've originally came with.
nice. Pittsburgh area (that's where you are from right)?

today, I went to the GW that I bought the shoes for my gf to sell and fuck earlier this week (its in a fancy neighborhood), I found a Xbox 360 Steering Wheel in the box with everything in it (even the 1 year Gold subscription and the Demo disc) for 40 bucks. I picked it up and decided that with my student discount I could get the copy of Aladdin for Snes basically free.

Its not even 2 weeks into the year and I have found some good shit so far. maybe this is the year!

nice. Pittsburgh area (that's where you are from right)?
Kinda, I live about 30-40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh and occasionally (maybe once a month if I'm not busy/weather permitting) go to the thrifts on the south & west of Pittsburgh (the ones on Saw Mill Run, Ohio River Blvd, up 19) but this one was in Belle Vernon (only went there because I had to pick up something for my Aunt in Mt Pleasant and it was on the way).

Even though I know it'll be a waste of time, I want to check out the Computerworks store. I just need to have the ambition to drive into Pittsburgh :lol:.

bread's done
Back