Why did you go with xbox one?

ajumbaje

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I am thinking of getting an xbox one over ps4 since more games interest me on that system right now. Forza and titanfall.

I used to own a 360 and a ps3 on separate occasions so I should be able to recover my gamertag.

One thing I am worried about is that I am seeing these systems easier to get in stores while ps4 is still hard to come by.

I have been reading a lot online and am seeing that the ps4 is more popular right now and could be the better system (power). So I was wondering for those who got a one over the ps4, what made you go with the one?

I got both. Here's a little mini review with my own opinions.

PS4

Pros: Vita remote replay, PS+ for free quality[/b games, and an amazing controller

Cons: I've heard more stories about these breaking than XB1, there's not much else the console can do besides gaming and the next gen exclusives it has aren't that exciting

XB1

Pros: A lot of neat multimedia features, free Killer Instinct

Cons: A lot of stuff that had finally been hashed out and only needed minor tweaking on the 360 has pretty much been reverted back to an earlier state i.e. Party Chat, requests, etc., the price is exorbitant, and the UI just seems so cumbersome.

To begin with, I consider myself an "Xbox guy".  I was a huge fan of the PS1 and PS2, but there wasn't anything on the PS3 that interested me other than Uncharted and MGS4.  Therefore, I only owned one for a short time.  On the other hand, I consider the 360 the best system ever and I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days.  That being said.....

I really did stop and think when the PS4 and X1 were revealed earlier this year.  The PS4 looks damn good.  Being $100 cheaper, of course, made me take notice.  Killzone left my jaw on the floor.  I thought Knack had a charm not seen in a long while and The Order looks very interesting.  Still, the exclusives I enjoy are on the Xbox One.  Plain and simple.  I play games for the games and if the ones I want and the community I tend to play online with are on the X1, so am I. 

Throw in great games like Killer Instinct, Ryse, a new Halo, for some people Titanfall (I'm not a huge multiplayer guy) and it's a no brainer.  I debated on *when* to get an Xbox One and ultimately got it via preorder on day one and haven't regretted it one time. 

I'm very happy with this purchase.

Oh!  and the free Xbox Fitness app is really great, too!  I'm using it and have gotten into a bit of a routine with it.  If you have a gold membership it's free for a year.  Good stuff.

And, if you were a fan of Wave Race back in the day, you'll be in love with Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason.  It's a free demo of sorts that features only the wave race part of the Rivals game, which will be out in a few months. 

I haven't played with the TV features much, but if you are into fantasy football, it sounds like there is some cool stuff to mess with.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it just came down to the games. I plan to buy a PS4 eventually but I wanted Dead Rising 3 and Killer instinct so I didn't really have a choice.

I just see no reason to buy a PS4 at this point. It's basically a PS3.5. It's a game system with some better graphics.

The xboxone is just a total user experience. It's games, apps that switch and snap quickly, TV features. I love it. It's everything I expected.

I don't knock people for going PS4. I knock people for using the $100 difference as the reason for going that way. Your hundred bucks is well worth the extra features of an Xbox One.

How do you all like forza? Is the game play a lot like gran turismo? I remember gt being very unforgiving at times.

Also is killer instinct still freemium? Paying 40$ for everything in the game?

I love my Xbox One compared to the time I had a PS4 (Ebayed it). It has so many more interesting games at the moment, especially DR3 which is just plain fun. I like the UI more even if it feel like it needs some more polish to it, and while Dualshock 4 was indeed a great controller I prefer the Xbox One's gamepad more.
I think it does have some things working against it specifically being more expensive and clearly weaker. But overall I believe it offers the more "Next Gen" experience. The PS4 is really just a PS3 with shinier graphics, while the Xbox One offers a whole new multimedia experience. Personally I LOVE the Kinect commands and they make using my TV more fun and easier especially when I watch Netflix.

Also I wasn't a huge fan of Sony's exclusives and given Microsoft's MUCH better launch line up I have faith they'll deliver in the years to come on good games.

How do you all like forza? Is the game play a lot like gran turismo? I remember gt being very unforgiving at times.

Also is killer instinct still freemium? Paying 40$ for everything in the game?
I played Forza a bit (played my nephew's copy) and it was just okay. Sure, it looked amazing, but I'm not really into sim style racing games. If you are, it seems like a really good game. I'm more interested in Need for Speed Rivals, personally.

KI is still fremium. You can get all characters for $20 or everything for $40. I sprang for the ultra edition for $40 and I've had a lot of fun with it. The next character should be out this month, too.

Games.

Mainly KI and Dead Rising 3. Forza was just extra sauce, and Ryse ended up being way, way, way better then what the reviews were saying. I also like 2014's line up better then what the competition has to offer: Halo 5, Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive,D3, Zoo Tycoon and Quantum Break amongst other games I'm probably missing. Peggle 2 albeit timed exclusive was definitely a surprise as well. 

I own both and have found myself spending 95% of my time with Xbox One.

(1) The tv integration and Kinect voice commands are really cool and easy to use; I actually found myself starting to use voice to adjust the volume at my folks' house over Christmas before catching myself and picking up the remote instead;

(2) Every exclusive game (timed or not) has been worthwhile so far.  That's actually all I own:  Killer Instinct Ultra Edition, Crimson Dragon, Peggle 2, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Forza 5, Ryse, Dead Rising 3.

Going forward, I do plan to buy multiplatform games on PS4, but games like Super Time Force, Below, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive guarantee that I'll still get my money's worth out of the console in the long run.

I'll give another nod to Ryse.  To me, it's the only game besides Forza 5 that truly feels next-gen.  It's a damn good game, seriously.  I can't remember a game where the reviews have been so far off.  It's not the best game ever, but it's far from the mediocre blob the media made it out to be.

I originally had the PS4. Really liked it, just had a love hate thing for the community. I have always been a social gamer, and the ps3/ps4 pretty much ruined that for me. Got rid of it and got the xbone mainly for Forza 5. Plus I have more friends on the xbox side vs playstation.

Far as Forza 5, I didn't care for it all. If pretty cars are what you want the game for, then it's for you. I have been playing Forza since it was released. Things that really turned me off are: Too hard to level up, no rewards, drivitar sucks, and all of the stupid micro transactions. 

Plus I have 2 360's in the house and now everyone can get online with just one subscription.

The games were the main factor for me. It's all about the exclusives considering both consoles are pushing similar specs (I'll admit the PS4 has a slight edge).

Dead Rising, Forza, Killer Instinct and Ryse vs Killzone, Knack and Resogun. It really wasn't a tough decision for me...my opinion says DR3 and Forza are both better than anything the PS4 can offer right now.

The other features are cool as well, and I feel as though the console is more "future proof." Also I'm a bigger fan of XBL over PS+.

I ended up buying a PS4 at launch too, but sold it for a $100 profit to help fund my X1 purchase. I'll jump back on one once their exclusive list expands, likely after the first price drop.

Better games.
Better exclusives.
Better controller.
Better online service.
Achievements.
More of everything really.

Haven't owned a PlayStation anything since PS2 and my long time stolen PSP.

Better games.
Better exclusives.
Better controller.
Better online service.
Achievements.
More of everything really.

Haven't owned a PlayStation anything since PS2 and my long time stolen PSP.
I have both so I guess I didn't chose the X1 over the PS4 but I disagree about the X1 controller being better and l also prefer trophies to achievements.

I do agree that the X1 has better games... now. You're on some good drugs if you think it will have better/more exclusives after 1-2 years.

Anyways... X1 makes a better entertainment hub then the PS4. It's fun to use. I don't like the fact that it HAS to be on to watch TV (assuming you connect your TV through it) and I don't like how it either turns everything on or everything off with no medium.

If you don't absolutely have to have a next-gen system now and you're not too interested in the kinect gaming experience I would wait to see if they launch a kinect-less SKU at a later date.

My reasoning behind getting the Xbox One instead of PS4 at launch was...

- Which exclusive would I rather play... Titanfall come March outweighed anything from Sony. 

- Better online service.  Xbox Live was proven.  PSN never gave me a good experience on the PS3.

- Controller style familiar with.

- Achievements.  Xbox 360 was my most played system last gen so I already had a pretty big log. 

I will get a PS4 most likely next fall when Order 1886 comes out.  Like last gen, I will only use it for movies and Sony exclusives. 

I have both so I guess I didn't chose the X1 over the PS4 but I disagree about the X1 controller being better and l also prefer trophies to achievements.

I do agree that the X1 has better games... now. You're on some good drugs if you think it will have better/more exclusives after 1-2 years.

...Snip...

If you don't absolutely have to have a next-gen system now and you're not too interested in the kinect gaming experience I would wait to see if they launch a kinect-less SKU at a later date.
Controller is going to be a matter of opinion. I like the X1 controller better, but I like the PS4 controller too.

Games are going to be a matter of opinion as well. I'd be curious to know why you think the PS4 will have better exclusives in 1-2 years....Titanfall and Halo 5 could be the best two games of 2014.

Also, very doubtful MS will release a console without the Kinect. Maybe at some point, but they seem to be dead set on making it part of the experience. I would think Sony would have to be kicking their ass for them to do it.

I went with the X1 for the controller, I like having non-symmetrical sticks. Plus we had the better exclusive launch lineup I think. Forza and DR3 were great, RYSE is good for a quick rental if nothing else. Game is really short and repetitive. Overall I just like MS exclusives more (Halo, Titanfall). Not really a big TV guy so those features are pretty much useless to me. Voice commands are spotty as well and if I could have paid $100 less for no Kinect I would have. Also, Im not sure how the PSN is but the online service has taken a dive IMO. Party system is a mess. I will get a PS4 sometime down the line though when it has a pricecut, I will just use it for exclusives.

Generally, Xbox controllers have always been better for me. They feel better, stronger, and don't feel like they would break if they fall on a carpet. Yes, I'm looking at you ps3 controller.

I do feel however, that the Xbox 1 controller isn't as great as the 360 controller. It would be perfect if only three things weren't a problem for me.

1. The sticks feel like they're too small and I have large hands.
2. The bumpers feel all wrong, as in they should be clickable from all angles. Again, it has to do with large hands.
3. I don't like where the creases of the two plastic parts of the controller are connected it kind of feels like it's coming up my hand. It's because the way I hold controllers. (The sides of the controller where the center part of your hands are placed.)

Generally, Xbox controllers have always been better for me. They feel better, stronger, and don't feel like they would break if they fall on a carpet. Yes, I'm looking at you ps3 controller.

I do feel however, that the Xbox 1 controller isn't as great as the 360 controller. It would be perfect if only three things weren't a problem for me.

2. The bumpers feel all wrong, as in they should be clickable from all angles. Again, it has to do with large hands.
3. I don't like where the creases of the two plastic parts of the controller are connected it kind of feels like it's coming up my hand. It's because the way I hold controllers. (The sides of the controller where the center part of your hands are placed.)
I think the X1 controller is actually much better than the X360 controller. Bumpers did get some getting used to for me, but I still think the whole package is much better.

I also have both the X1 and PS4, and while I really like the DS4 compared to the DS3, the X1 controller is much better imo.

The first time you hold the X1 controller the improvements might not jump out at you.  But, after a few weeks of playtime, you'll come to love the X1 controller over the 360 one.  The minor tweaks really add up.  It's the perfect controller, IMO.

I agree with your first two points. I will also add that the sticks on the X1 feel looser than its 360 counterpart. Not as loose as the DS3 but I do wish they were a little tighter.

Controller is going to be a matter of opinion. I like the X1 controller better, but I like the PS4 controller too.

Games are going to be a matter of opinion as well. I'd be curious to know why you think the PS4 will have better exclusives in 1-2 years....Titanfall and Halo 5 could be the best two games of 2014.

Also, very doubtful MS will release a console without the Kinect. Maybe at some point, but they seem to be dead set on making it part of the experience. I would think Sony would have to be kicking their ass for them to do it.
Yeah, it's all just personal preference. The PS4 will likely have more exclusives--just like the PS3 did--since Sony has a bigger stable of first party developers and a lot of Japanese third parties don't bother putting their games on Xbox since that platform barely sells in Japan. But that's moot if one isn't into those games. If one is into shooters, racers etc., then the X1 will probably have more exclusives that personally appeal to them.

Really, the two platforms have pretty unique pros and cons, making it easy to pick one that fits your tastes better--or to justify owning both if you game enough.

X1-better for western exclusives, especially shooters like Halo, Titanfall, Gears etc. Better online community with more clans, more people talking and communicating etc. if online gaming is your thing. Better multi-media box with the voice commands, TV integration, snapping feature. Asymmetrical analog sticks if you prefer them. Etc.

PS4-better for Japanese games, and seems to get more indie support. PS+ will give a lot of "free" games as time goes on. More focused on games, less of the multimedia stuff for those who only use their consoles for gaming. Less talkative online community, but also means running into fewer griefers. Symmetrical sticks. Vita integration for remote play etc.

So, it's nice having a couple (well 3 counting Nintendo) consoles out there that offer fairly different strengths and weaknesses as it gives us a lot of choice as consumers. And keeps competition up which is good for everyone.

Anyway, I'm still very happy I opted not to buy either at launch. Being only interested in consoles for games, there just isn't any reason for me to buy either yet. There's not a single game out on either that I'll likely bother playing when I eventually pick up a console, so definitely no reason to play day one prices. Especially when I still have several AAA games in the backlog on PS3, Wii U and 3DS that I can enjoy instead of paying top dollar to slog through medicore next gen launch offerings.

I'll get a next gen console summer at the earliest, but winter or early 2015 more likely. I'm still leaning strongly PS4 as I just like their exclusives more as I'm sick of shooters after being a mainly 360 gamer this past gen, and I don't care at all about the TV integration or media features. I don't watch much TV (just some sports) and prefer using the apps on my Bluray player or Roku to stream Netflix and Amazon. Quieter and I don't like putting any extra wear and tear on $400+ consoles when I have much cheaper hardware that does it just as well.

I could still change my mind, but it would require a Kinect-less sku (pretty unlikely IMO) and a handful of exclusives I want to play (i.e. not shooters, racers or Kinect games).

I got a xbox mostly cause everyone i know has xbox. i rarely played my ps3 for the same reason. Ill get both eventually, but I went with xbox first. I like it alot, but it does seem lame the issues i have with it all were handled better on the 360... just seems like a step backwards on the dashboard/chat.

PS4-better for Japanese games, and seems to get more indie support. 

I tend to disagree with this statement.  Sony has been more vocal about their courting of the Indies, but there is very good stuff coming to the X1.  Below is the first one I'd point to, followed by Microsofts long standing good relationship with Mojan (Minecraft).  As for Japanese games, I think we'll see traditionally Japanese games on both systems and I'll point to Crimson Dragon and D4 being the first examples. 

Well sure.  I wasn't implying that X1 won't get Japanese or indie support.  Just that PS4 will probably get more if the PS3 line up is any indication.  It had many more JRPGs, indie stuff like Flower, Journey etc. that was exclusive.

Conversely, while the PS4 will have some good shooters as exclusive (Killzone etc.), the X1 will have more exclusive shooters.

Just the difference in library strengths you're going to have between a western console and a Japanese console.

I bought X1 on day one, just cause I've always favored Xbox, but am an owner of 360 and PS3. Just picked up a used PS4 from GS the other day for $150 out of pocket after coupons and trade-in credit. I like being able to log into PSN automatically when I turn the PS on, I dont dig the Kinect deal with recognizing, I dont even use the Kinect, so I dislike manually logging into X1 daily. I also like that PS has the battery notification for the controller, nothing worse than playing online and getting the "plug your controller in" msg on X1 cause your battery died.

Im happy with both though and can't wait til the updates and their respective exclusives start to drop.

I only bought one because I was able to score a day one edition, if you have the money to spend and want to wait for games to come out go ahead, if not just play the waiting game.

I have both, having always been an Xbox 360 guy I expected the Xbox One to maintain a superior online gaming experience.  I hope this is the case.  The announcement of online servers for free should mean better online gaming.  I think the Xbox One controller is better than the PS4 controller.  I do think the PS4 controller is the 2nd best controller on the market, ahead of the 360.  Microsoft has the best exclusive titles at the moment and Titanfall looks better than anything Sony has shown me so far. 

The question I have going forward is do I buy multiplatform titles on Xbox One or PS4?  I'm curious what Destiny looks like on both. 

Oh! and the free Xbox Fitness app is really great, too! I'm using it and have gotten into a bit of a routine with it. If you have a gold membership it's free for a year. Good stuff.
This. Xbox Fitness is my most played "game" of this generation. If you've heard people talk about p90x, Beachbody programs, and want to see what the fuss is about it has a great preview of one or two workouts per program. I'm hoping it's successful enough that they rotate them or add more. I'm looking to find more people using this app to compete against, hit me with a friend request if intrested. I'm probably in the minority when I say the new Kinect is why I grabbed the Xbox One day 1. Of the launch lineup I have Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Skylanders, Just Dance 2014, and Zumba.

Other than that, my husband and I have both ps4 and xbox one. He "had to have" the ps4 day one, even when I challenged him on what games he wanted (neither one of us are big FPS players). He bought Knack, played thru it and Resogun, and now the PS4 gets turned on once a week to see what is new, then turned back off five minutes later. When more exclusives start coming out I'm sure it will be a great system, but right now nothing pops out to me as a must buy or an awesome thing to showcase a new generation of gaming.

I got both. Here's a little mini review with my own opinions.

PS4
Pros: Vita remote replay, PS+ for free quality[/b games, and an amazing controller
Cons: I've heard more stories about these breaking than XB1, there's not much else the console can do besides gaming and the next gen exclusives it has aren't that exciting

I'm pretty sure the playstation + subscription isn't free...it is $50/year

Xbox one was a Christmas / birthday gift from my wife. Even if she didn't buy it, I was going to pick one up.
Since using it, I really like the voice controls. I really wanted the system because I wanted to play Ryse and Forza. Both games have delivered thus far. There's no harm in having and enjoying both consoles.

bread's done
Back