Call of Duty Ghost Season Pass Free at Best Buy (YMMV)

Was at a local best buy and they had a repeat of the killzone season pass.. Just this time it was for the call of duty ghost for xbox.. The best part about this one is not only is it worth $50 but when you redeem the code you dont have to use it on the season pass.. It just adds $50 to your account.. Management over rode the price

Last edited by a moderator:
Was at a local best buy and they had a repeat of the killzone season pass.. Just this time it was for the call of duty ghost for xbox.. The best part about this one is not only is it worth $50 but when you redeem the code you dont have to use it on the season pass.. It just adds $50 to your account.. Management over rode the price
Where was the BB store that you did this at?

No dice at Burbank's Best Buy (I also tried a while back w/ Killzone). Let me know if anyone can pull this off elsewhere in L.A.?

I'd  try, but it took three hours to get a laptop at full price last time I went. I can't imagine how long it would take to get something like this.

Just bear in mind this is probably the most extreme YMMV you can get. WIth photo proof/link to thread/copy of receipt of someone who had succeeded in another state, my BB wouldnt budge. 

Was it just the x1 pass that was labeled that way?

It was the only one labeled that way. But they didn't have any other spots for any other systems in the one I went to.

So you would have your friend be involved in theft on a technicality? Great "friend" you are!
Funny you say that since in some states if a price rings up differently than what it is labeled at, the company would be doing something illegal if they refused to honor it. In any case, a customer is not doing anything illegal in any way, shape, or form if they get an employee to honor this. The employee will still most likely be disciplined by Best Buy, though.

I would go to my local BB since it's close but...... yeah. Screw this blizzard. 

qrQodDRl.jpg

I tried at both stores in Fort Worth without luck. I was already going there so I figured why not look. I am not wasting gas going from Best Buy to Best Buy hunting for a chance to get a free season pass. I will look from now own when I am already going to Best Buy. 

I tried this with the killzone card, during the checkout process a "bundling" process kicked in with added the real 50$ item to the cart. I assume this will work the same way because the price is not established until the platform of choice UPC is scanned.

INSANE DEAL if u can get it to work. Anyone in Manhattan get this please update, thanks!

will be checking the Aberdeen, NC store tonight, as I have to make a stop right next door to it. Not hopeful though.

They refused to give me one for free even though it was marked free. Rang up $50

[quote name="stepasyd" post="11421973" timestamp="1389032611"]will be checking the Aberdeen, NC store tonight, as I have to make a stop right next door to it. Not hopeful though.[/quote]

No such luck, the season passes weren't even in the correct spot, the sticker on them was supposed to be for PS+ subscriptions. Go figure.

Can they really refuse that? I don't want to sound entitled but it sounds like false advertisement if it's barked down in the isle.
They can refuse to honor any obvious price mistake (as is in this case) in most states. The only way you could finagle it for free (if they refuse you at first) is if you got the employee to offer an alternative related product for you to buy instead of the incorrectly marked item. Then one could argue this as a case of "bait and switch" and they'd probably just honor it to avoid any legal implications.

They can refuse to honor any obvious price mistake (as is in this case) in most states. The only way you could finagle it for free (if they refuse you at first) is if you got the employee to offer an alternative related product for you to buy instead of the incorrectly marked item. Then one could argue this as a case of "bait and switch" and they'd probably just honor it to avoid any legal implications.
It's rarely a bait and switch unless there's an advertisement to "bait" you into the store.

People like to think that "bait and switch" and stuff could be used here, but not really. That is more on the lines of a Black Friday deal being advertised everywhere vocally and being shot down in store. Sometimes stores have prices up and they'll honor it if it's up, but other times you can chalk that up to a typo.

I remember back in 2010 when Halo: Reach came out, Target advertised "1 year of Xbox Live for $20," but obviously it meant Microsoft points. I tried going to two Targets because both had that sign up, one Target refused the other one allowed it but took down the sign. That's more along the lines of it, but obviously the ad wasn't intended that way to begin with.

Does bait and switch apply exclusively to out of store advertisements, or can it apply to in store advertisements as well?

Does bait and switch apply exclusively to out of store advertisements, or can it apply to in store advertisements as well?
The term refers to something baiting you, which prompts you to enter the store. Say a 50" TV, which is on sale for $499.99 and you want it for some reason. When you get there, they sadly sell out (typically they have like 1 to avoid false advertising claims) and thats when the switch occurs. Instead of giving you the 50" TV for $499.99, they're trying to sell you the 50" TV for $699.99.

You wouldn't be able to make a bait and switch claim in store, since you were never actually baited in the first place.

This thread baited me in with hopes of a deal but was switched with discussion of "Bait and Switch"....CHEAPYD I AM COMING FOR YOU!

Funny you say that since in some states if a price rings up differently than what it is labeled at, the company would be doing something illegal if they refused to honor it. In any case, a customer is not doing anything illegal in any way, shape, or form if they get an employee to honor this. The employee will still most likely be disciplined by Best Buy, though.
Only if the labeled price is believable, for instance, say a computer was labeled as $80 instead of $800, they do not have to honor that.

I was able to get 3 for free at the Culver City location in Los Angeles, CA.  

Took a picture of the display, showed it to the cashier up front, who then called the manager.  Showed the manager where the display was, who the promptly removed the display...but then honored the price for all 3.

Checked at the West LA location, and but there is no display.

Keep in mind, if they have the price displayed on the shelves, they have to honor it.

Took a picture of the display, showed it to the cashier up front, who then called the manager. Showed the manager where the display was, who the promptly removed the display...but then honored the price for all 3.

Keep in mind, if they have the price displayed on the shelves, they have to honor it.
Free $150. Damn! Nice going.

Only if the labeled price is believable, for instance, say a computer was labeled as $80 instead of $800, they do not have to honor that.
In California at least, you are absolutely wrong. It has nothing to do with whether a price is "believable" or not. Even if "believeable" were some sort of legally quantifiable criteria, this would be the exact intent of numerous local/state/federal consumer protection statutes/laws to counter. If all it took was some sort of statement that "the shelf label is not believable" for a retailer to get out of honoring a price label, there would be absolutely no point to any of the consumer protection laws such as bait and switch. Only thing in Cali that matters in this regard is any time limitation for the posted price, which is why most retailers' shelf tags, particularly the sale tags, indicate a date range that the noted price is in effect.

Here are the pertinent details from the relative California statues:

CAL. BPC. CODE § 12024.2 : California Code - Section 12024.2

(a)It is unlawful for any person, at the time of sale of a commodity, to do any of the following:

(1)Charge an amount greater than the price, or to compute an amount greater than a true extension of a price per unit, that is then advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted for that commodity.

(2)Charge an amount greater than the lowest price posted on the commodity itself or on a shelf tag that corresponds to the commodity, notwithstanding any limitation of the time period for which the posted price is in effect.

(b)A violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding one year, or by both, if the violation is willful or grossly negligent, or when the overcharge is more than one dollar ($1).

(c)A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars ($100) when the overcharge is one dollar ($1) or less.

(d)As used in subdivisions (b) and (c), "overcharge" means the amount by which the charge for a commodity exceeds a price that is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted to that consumer for that commodity at the time of sale.

(e)Except as provided in subdivision (f), for purposes of this section, when more than one price for the same commodity is advertised, posted, marked, displayed, or quoted, the person offering the commodity for sale shall charge the lowest of those prices.

(f)Pricing may be subject to a condition of sale, such as membership in a retailer-sponsored club, the purchase of a minimum quantity, or the purchase of multiples of the same item, provided that the condition is conspicuously posted in the same location as the price.

went to el centro best buy, rang as 0.00 but then it rang as 59.99 or 49.99 so no go...

changed between happy and sad in a split second.

Took a picture of the display, showed it to the cashier up front, who then called the manager. Showed the manager where the display was, who the promptly removed the display...but then honored the price for all 3.

Wow.

bread's done
Back