2014 Dumpster Dive Thread

DealSeeker4u

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hoping we have a nice 2014 year in dumpster dive finds! To begin this thread, I want to point out a few FAQs about dumpster diving, and this thread: 

1. Dumpster diving IS legal in the United States, however certain cities/counties may have certain restrictions on it, so be sure to check your local law

2. Dumpster diving is a hobby, not a job, so for all the haters out there, we do this for fun, not as a job

3.This thread has been approved by CheapyD himself, so it can stay

4.Try to keep the debating clean, and avoid name calling. Everyone has a opinion for themselves. 

Why GameStop throws out the things they do:  (Thanks Zepter for the info!)

1. Marketing(Adverts)

*Most of the time these are sent to all stores regardless of the size of the store or if they even have anywhere to display it.

*Some of them were probably used, however Gamestop changes marketing 1-4 weeks at a time depending on the time of year.

*Standees are the worst, Gamestop has no floor space yet they want you to cram a standee on the floor. I always threw mine away right away if I had no where to place it.

*If you want the marketing its best to check sunday nights, as they are required to setup the new marketing after close on sunday.

2.Merchandise

*The Policy for anything thrown away must be destroyed. Knowing this I personally wouldnt waste my time checking the dumpsters. However it seems some people have been lucky and found good stuff.

*Any actual item that is marked for field destroy(thrown away), must be verified by the District Manager, destroyed by said DM, and then discarded into the dumpster. (So you must have a shitty DM looking over your Gamestop if you find something of value)

*Occasionally items get pennyed out($0.01), when this happens the Store Manager is required to remove the item immediatly, destroy and thrown away. A common item here is Strategy Guides, the SM is supposed to rip off the cover.

Gamestop has deals with their vendors, which is why this happens. Basically a customer returns a controller for whatever reason claiming it is defective. The agreement that Gamestop has is instead of shipping back the controller to the vendor they mark the item as field destroy, and then the District Manager is to verify the item is broken, if it isnt it gets moved back to inventory marked shopworn 10% off or is moved to used. Once the field destroy report is cleared, any items that are "destroyed" and thrown away the vendor then pays Gamestop X amount per item to compensate Gamestop for selling them defective merchandise.

As for the games, Gamestop will also field destroy games on their own accord. This typically happens if a game looses its value and their is a huge surplus. For example Sports Champions for the PS3, this game is worthless now and each Gamestop has probably 50 or more copies. So they will decide to keep X% of them, destroy the rest. and then usually will stop taking it in. Sometimes they will continue to take the game in trade however they will only give you a small amount for it ie.. $0.02, to help compensate for their losses as some of the discs Gamestop paid for originaly could be upwards of $30.00 and the disc just sat in the draw because the game sucked or so many people trade the game in.

Tips: 

1. Come prepared (Gloves, hand sanitizer, and a flashlight if you are going at night) 

2. Leave the dumpster cleaner then when you found it (its polite, and you will have a lot better odds finding cool things in the feature

3.Avoid detection or suspicion, once they realize someone is dumpster diving, they usually will destroy things, which really sucks 

4.Should bring a tool to fish out any tough things to get out

Below is tips/ to have better luck thanks to Dustin N.

To people having bad luck with their dives :

1) Always go at night so you dont get caught by any employee

2) Do NOT just rip open the bag and go through like a free for all

3) Carefully untie or rip a hole towards the top of the bag where it is tied already, carefully go through the bag, then pull it tight, and retie it shut. (Ninja Status)

4) LEAVE THE DUMPSTER HOW YOU FOUND IT!!!!!

5) This means not only on the outside by not littering, but on the inside as well by paying attention to how it looks when you get there, and making it look just like that when you leave.

6) Basically, dont let the manager know that someone is diving there and you will find A LOT more stuff!

7) Be patient, some managers will always destroy their stuff no matter what because they are just those kinda people but other managers will only destroy their stuff if they think the dumpster is actually getting dived in.

8) Sunday nights.. just trust me, they are the best. Checking during the week def doesn't hurt though!

9) Never trade the items you pulled out of the dumpster back into gamestop. They WILL catch on quickly.

10) Have fun!! You're getting stuff for free and should be having fun doing it! 

That's it! To start this thread, I'll post a few videos I made of some finds that I have got over the last year of dumpster diving. Please post what you find below, and try to take pictures/videos if you can!

Mega Haul #1 

Mega Haul #2

Mega Haul #3

Week 12 

How wasteful Gamestop can be :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumpster Diving is illegal in the sense that the overwhelming majority of dumpsters at private businesses are located on private property, and are therefore illegal on the grounds of trespassing, so I'm not sure why this thread is allowed, but not one on say, shoplifting, or torrenting,. It's also a disgusting way to hoarde a lot of useless trash, but I digress.

Why don't you just ignore this thread if you don't agree with it, does it keep you awake at night knowing that DealSeeker is digging through the trash.

Dumpster Diving is illegal in the sense that the overwhelming majority of dumpsters at private businesses are located on private property, and are therefore illegal on the grounds of trespassing, so I'm not sure why this thread is allowed, but not one on say, shoplifting, or torrenting,. It's also a disgusting way to hoarde a lot of useless trash, but I digress.
My good friend, I have missed you :)

Weren't you complaining about it all the time in the last thread on this too? :roll: Seriously let it go lol if it's not for you just ignore the thread

I might do this at my local gamestop, but the manager is a total jerk and I hate him(part of the reason why I don't shop there).
Thats how one of my Gamestops where so I stopped going there, and started dumpster diving there. Its been surprisingly the best one out of all of them, I found everything from mega haul 1, 2, and 3 there!

couldn't even have this up for 1 fuck en hour without someone getting all righteous about it. sheesh.

ya know what, everyone should look in a gamestop dumpster. and for that matter, go look in a half priced books dumpster. all they throw away is books upon books upon books upon books upon records upon comics upon cds ...that's disgusting.

couldn't even have this up for 1 fuck en hour without someone getting all righteous about it. sheesh.

ya know what, everyone should look in a gamestop dumpster. and for that matter, go look in a half priced books dumpster. all they throw away is books upon books upon books upon books upon records upon comics upon cds ...that's disgusting.
I don't even think I have a half priced books near me, I have heard that a lot, wish I could go and check it out. I'll be taking a peak in Blockbusters dumpster the day after it closes seeing if I can find anything good thats left over. I went before after a blockbuster closed, and all I found was a few cracked 360 games which sucked, but now every store is closing, so I am hoping to find more!

I don't even think I have a half priced books near me, I have heard that a lot, wish I could go and check it out. I'll be taking a peak in Blockbusters dumpster the day after it closes seeing if I can find anything good thats left over. I went before after a blockbuster closed, and all I found was a few cracked 360 games which sucked, but now every store is closing, so I am hoping to find more!
the video store I used to work at/my ex was the manager at, I made sure that all the extra cases and scratched up games came home with me. good luck with that.

you should add some pointers to the OP btw...

the video store I used to work at/my ex was the manager at, I made sure that all the extra cases and scratched up games came home with me. good luck with that.

you should add some pointers to the OP btw...
I'll definitely work on OP, just made it pretty quick, also check out this video if you want, this guy has found some AMAZING things at half priced books (If you don't want to watch, his highlights are Final Fantasy NES, 2 copies Digimon 3 on PS1, a Gameboy Advance, and a Gameboy Color Mini!)

Yeah, no. The gamestop where i live close by shares a dumpster with a soul food kitchen. I don't want to have BBQ all over my hands. Plus, homeless people have first dibs on the things that go into the dumpster.

I'll definitely work on OP, just made it pretty quick, also check out this video if you want, this guy has found some AMAZING things at half priced books (If you don't want to watch, his highlights are Final Fantasy NES, 2 copies Digimon 3 on PS1, a Gameboy Advance, and a Gameboy Color Mini!)
now THATS disgusting

Good for you on those finds, man.  Some of that is ridiculous.

You should definitely put together a little how-to guide or some unexpected pitfalls to avoid when dumpster diving.  What time of the day do you usually go?

I haven't checked a dumpster in years, I used to regularly check out a GS dumpster on my route to work, easy in and out... Was early enough to not disturb anyone either... Ended up with a ton of guides (I generally picked up anything of value, leaving things like empty cases etc behind...)... My best haul was a working PSP from one of the store displays... Only issues with it was it was missing the analog nubs and it was locked inside some polycarbonate shell to keep thieves from stealing it from the display. Took about an hour to carefully cut that off of it, but ended up selling the psp for about $130 at the time.

In your actual videos, you may want to consider getting a stand for your camera or something. It's pretty shaky, and you seem to have some difficulties holding the camera and displaying what you found. Also, a list of stuff you've found would be great. I'd like to see what you found, but no offense, I don't want to watch the lengthy videos.

In your actual videos, you may want to consider getting a stand for your camera or something. It's pretty shaky, and you seem to have some difficulties holding the camera and displaying what you found. Also, a list of stuff you've found would be great. I'd like to see what you found, but no offense, I don't want to watch the lengthy videos.
Yeah I have gotten that quite a bit, im working on getting a tripod, still have to check and see if they make one for the Galaxy S4

Okay I saw the videos and honestly it doesn't look that bad. There's no slimy shit on the stuff or anything. I will try this out once the sub-zero temperature goes away.

Lol nice, I've never seen a dumpster diving thread before.  I used to do it in random dumpsters all the time as a little kid, now as an almost 30 year old adult I think I'd feel pretty weird hopping in a dumpster although this thread may make me at least take a peek next time I'm at a Gamestop.

Okay I saw the videos and honestly it doesn't look that bad. There's no slimy shit on the stuff or anything. I will try this out once the sub-zero temperature goes away.
word of advice- avoid any gamestops that share dumpsters with restaraunts (like Noel said). seems like every fuck en GS in the greater PGH area is next to a subway lol.

that's tip one. tip two- if there is a "No Trespassing- Private Property" on the gate of the dumpster, hows about not looking inside.

word of advice- avoid any gamestops that share dumpsters with restaraunts (like Noel said). seems like every fuck en GS in the greater PGH area is next to a subway lol.

that's tip one. tip two- if there is a "No Trespassing- Private Property" on the gate of the dumpster, hows about not looking inside.
There doesn't even need to be a sign, if it's on private property, it's a crime.

There doesn't even need to be a sign, if it's on private property, it's a crime.
HEY CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE THE FIRST CAG ON MY BLOCKED LIST!!!! You should thank your constructive and in depth additions to this thread for that, cheers!

from freegan.info I highlighted the pertinent part just for you :D/ notice the word could is used!

Dumpster Diving and the Law
We aren’t lawyers but this is our best understanding as plain-old US citizens.

Dumpster diving is legal in the United States except where prohibited by local regulation. According to a 1988 Supreme Court Ruling (California vs. Greenwood), when a person throws something out, that item is now the public domain. Here is some language from that ruling: “It is common knowledge that plastic garbage bags left on or at the side of a public street are readily accessible to animals, children, scavengers, snoops, and other members of the public.”

However, if a dumpster is against a building or inside a fenced enclosure marked “No Trespassing,” you could be questioned, ticketed or even arrested by the police. Other law-enforcement tactics to discourage dumpster diving include:

- to ticket or arrest for littering (hence the legal as well as common courtesy reason to leave a trash area neater than you found it!);

- to ticket or arrest for disorderly conduct, if you are blocking a sidewalk or generally creating a ruckus while dumpster diving, or refuse to leave an area when requested to do so.

Unless a town or city has specifically made dumpster diving illegal, generally the police will not come unless called by a store manager or property owner. In our experience, this is yet another good reason to be courteous with any store employee (or resident with a dumpster) who questions the dumpster diving in progress, and to use common sense about how long an individual or group stays at any one trash location. If anyone asks you to leave, consider doing so, even if the law is on your side– there are plenty of other wasted resources to be found.

so now, we can leave that part of the discussion to bed, that part being where some people what to make a federal case against dumpster diving when, if anything, its actually a state and local issue.

I sometimes wonder why he is so against dumpster diving.

Some people come into dumpster diving threads and are like "Wut? People do this, disgusting!" then that's all you hear from them.  But he's here and stays.  I'm surprised he's been so quiet this thread.

I sometimes wonder why he is so against dumpster diving.

Some people come into dumpster diving threads and are like "Wut? People do this, disgusting!" then that's all you hear from them. But he's here and stays. I'm surprised he's been so quiet this thread.
well, it has only been up for a couple days. maybe he is busy at work patrolling the shopping complex, kicking out all the people whom are diving in the dumpsters :wall:

he could be jealous of the scores others have found (saw a video the other day where a guy found a xbox 360 display stand with the Samsung tv still attached). who knows?

well, it has only been up for a couple days. maybe he is busy at work patrolling the shopping complex, kicking out all the people whom are diving in the dumpsters :wall:

he could be jealous of the scores others have found (saw a video the other day where a guy found a xbox 360 display stand with the Samsung tv still attached). who knows?
I've found a ps3 and 360 display, no room in my Monte Carlo to take home, but they did not have samsung tv's still attached to them

Yep, totally jealous of your trash and broken junk, definitely jealous about the check you'll be getting from TLC for your appearance on "Extreme Cheapskates" next season. Also, did you read the wall of text you posted? It clearly states that dumpster diving is only legal when the trash is on the curb.

I used to do this a lot when I was 17-19 (I turn 23 next month) and made a lot of extra cash, enough to pay for my games back then. My favorite haul (only one I really remember) was when I found two huge boxes of strategy guides/Mario beanies/posters, some DS games and one of those hard back limited edition Fallout 3 books. It was brand new too, I couldn't believe it.

Awesome thread idea and exactly what I needed to get back out there, there's literally 5 gamestops within a 15 minute drive of my house. I'll definitely contribute to the thread.

I havnt gone in a while, but my best ever find (and probably wont ever be beaten...) was when gamestop threw out all their 99 cent ps2 games in october of 2012, I found boxes with 1000+ games. Yes there were 57 Madden 07's lol but it was still a great find. Had some Gems in it at the time too (Hot shots golf 3, Metal gear solid 2 etc). Ended up trading a bunch in to BB, giving away to GW, and trading some into Target when they had those crazy prices. 

Other finds include a disc only Mario Party 6, Guides galore, Guitar Hero 2,3; some guitar hero guitars, a ps3 blu ray remote, and ~100 DS cases lol. fun times those were.

Yep, totally jealous of your trash and broken junk, definitely jealous about the check you'll be getting from TLC for your appearance on "Extreme Cheapskates" next season. Also, did you read the wall of text you posted? It clearly states that dumpster diving is only legal when the trash is on the curb.
Yup, it clearly states that dumpster diving is only legal when there's NOT a sign that says NO TRESPASSING. You should probably read the legal jargon a bit better before berating someone's hobby.

Personally I don't think dumpster diving is gross or being a cheapskate. Corporate America makes companies throw out things like no tomorrow, perfectly good items. Brand new items even! And if someone's throwing it away why can't I have it for free then? If all it takes is for me to spend a bit of time and effort digging it up why not? Keeps less stuff out of landfills that are already brimming.

How about instead of complaining about it you go tell the government to tell corporations to stop being so damn wasteful then?!

Yup, it clearly states that dumpster diving is only legal when there's NOT a sign that says NO TRESPASSING. You should probably read the legal jargon a bit better before berating someone's hobby.

Personally I don't think dumpster diving is gross or being a cheapskate. Corporate America makes companies throw out things like no tomorrow, perfectly good items. Brand new items even! And if someone's throwing it away why can't I have it for free then? If all it takes is for me to spend a bit of time and effort digging it up why not? Keeps less stuff out of landfills that are already brimming.

How about instead of complaining about it you go tell the government to tell corporations to stop being so damn wasteful then?!
Honestly, its best to ignore that clown. He apparently can't read as well as having some type of severe emotional disturbance concerning dumpsters. Maybe he is OCD and after some "Hangover"-type night ended up in a dumpster of a thai restaurant. :-({|=

I think that the people who post in this thread should post tips and suggestions about when and how to go about looking in a dumpster. Also, as much as reading the nice items people salvage, how about some horror stories? It can't always be sunshine and rainbows. Besides, it would give some comfort to the thread troll :joystick:

Not really dumpster diving, but last year I had a pretty good find. I had just finished off a gallon of milk after some cereal in the morning so I went to take the bottle to the dumpster which was right behind my apartment. I lifted the lid and saw an Xbox 360 messenger bag. Curiosity got the best of me so I pulled it out and looked through it. It was filled with old papers and stationary, and some other junk. Inside one of the small pockets was a white Nintendo DSi with a copy of Pokemon in it. Everything worked great. It was a pretty lucky find.

Went to my Gamestop dumpster a while back, found a few red DS cases, found Pokemon HeartGold and Zelda : Spirit Tracks in mint condition box and booklets but no game. Also a bunch of sealed Watch Dogs Promo posters just tossed in the trash.

I visit multiple GameStops and MovieStops in a week. I know the pickup schedules for each of the dumpsters. I would try and hit the dumpster the day before they emptied it and 2 hours before the store opened. Ive only been caught surprisingly once. The manager was there pretty early and walked out on me and told me not to do it anymore. So then I got into the habit of dumpster diving at 7am and pulling bags out of the dumpster and putting them in my car and driving across the street. Overall, I got lots of Club Nintendo points, GC games, PS2 games, a few 360 and PS3 games, and lots of promotional stuff.

I'll never tell anyone what to do with their life, but I don't think I can ever stoop to the level of going around and digging through people's trash. Gotta draw the line somewhere. Never know what excrement one will find in a dumpster. Disgusting IMO.

I'll never tell anyone what to do with their life, but I don't think I can ever stoop to the level of going around and digging through people's trash. Gotta draw the line somewhere. Never know what excrement one will find in a dumpster. Disgusting IMO.
My Gamestop rarely has any type of "excrements" or food, etc in them. They use the one next to it for actual trash, and the other for Gamestop merchandise they don't want. If it looks like a mess with food everywhere or liquid, then ya I wouldn't go through it. I wouldn't dumpster dive to the extreme either like those people who found $100k+ paintings. I'm more disgusted how the rich are just so wasteful. But a majority of the stuff has no real problems, just because it is thrown in the trash doesn't make it trash.

Just saying lol.

Honestly, its best to ignore that clown. He apparently can't read as well as having some type of severe emotional disturbance concerning dumpsters. Maybe he is OCD and after some "Hangover"-type night ended up in a dumpster of a thai restaurant. :-({|=

I think that the people who post in this thread should post tips and suggestions about when and how to go about looking in a dumpster. Also, as much as reading the nice items people salvage, how about some horror stories? It can't always be sunshine and rainbows. Besides, it would give some comfort to the thread troll :joystick:
A trash picker calling ME emotionally disturbed? That's rich. Just like in the past you continue to show your lack of maturity and your inability to withstand even the most basic of criticisms and go straight to calling names. Good grief, grow up.

What's the best time and day of the week to do a dumpster dive? I just moved here to IL and near my apartment there are a few gamestops.

Could someone do me a favor?

I'm all set on the gaming front but if anyone finds a half eaten sandwich or a used rubber or two could you send them my way? 

Thanks

That painting was found at a flea market, not in a dumpster. If you guys like salmonella, e coli, and listeria go ahead and keep on doing it, a dumpster is just a breeding ground for these things. To have the OP state that it's legal is pretty damn stupid, but.... If you want to take a 17 year old word for it go ahead, especially when it's a big huge grey area.

I could also tell you that it's legal to masturbate in public as long as your local and state laws don't say otherwise or don't have it posted. I don't know why you guys get so butt hurt  when someone says it's disgusting to jump in the garbage can.

That painting was found at a flea market, not in a dumpster.
There is more than one painting in the world you know. The one I am stating is a guy who dumpster dives for a living in rich areas. But as usual, here we have people going to the extreme for kicks.

Could someone do me a favor?

I'm all set on the gaming front but if anyone finds a half eaten sandwich or a used rubber or two could you send them my way?

Thanks
If it's a Gamestop dumpster, I doubt you'll be finding any used rubbers. Maybe some tube socks with sticky spots in them, though.

Interesting the things you guys find, glad I took a peek in this tread. Definitely checking out gamestop's dumpsters tomorrow. :) 

bread's done
Back