* * * * * 2 votes

2014 Yardsale thread

Yardsale thread 2014

#1381 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

Had a pretty good day yard saling on Saturday, despite being off my home turf (was on vacation with the wife's family in South Jersey). Here's the rundown.

IMG 20140726 114451 838

Started out a sale advertising Pokemon stuff. None of the games, to my surprise, but I did manage to grab a bunch of stuffed toys and Pokemon yahtzee for $11.

IMG 20140726 114651 450
IMG 20140726 114756 810

Grabbed these from the second sale for cheap, they'll be going to cover costs for the day. First lot of GBA games cost me $3 and the lot of DS/3DS games cost me $4. The sellers were kids, but they seemed very happy to get the money.

IMG 20140726 171120 963
IMG 20140726 171450 589
IMG 20140726 172152 881
IMG 20140726 173300 285

The next find was my favorite of the day. Rolled up to a sale and asked about video games, and the guy mentioned a Sega collection his wife had been after him to get rid of. He brought a few bags worth of stuff, all chronicled below (post-cleaning). Lots of good Sega CD stuff, plus a complete Tower of Power! He threw out $60 and I countered with $50, which he accepted. I have a buddy who's a major Sega CD fan, I think the bulk of this is going to go to him.

IMG 20140726 114559 946

The last find is one I'm not particularly proud. Asked about games at a house and the daughter went it to get stuff while I chattered with the mom. Nice people, but then they brought out a complete PS2 with an extra controller, Kingdom Hearts, and the DMC collection and wanted $50 for it all. I didn't want to pay that much but felt bad that they went through the trouble, so I spent $15 on the collection. Think I spent more than the eBay price on that. Ah well.

Non-yard sale side note: found an independent game store where the employees told me that the owner prices older games by what he sees at conventions. He should try a little harder, though, because I was able to grab P.N.03 (GC) for $5 and Rhythm Thief (3DS) for $22. The former goes for $10-$15 on eBay while the latter is $40+ at the moment, and I'd been wanting both. So take that, douchey store owner!

#1382 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2069 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

Finds 5-17-14

Started off the day at a trailer park sale.  A kid had set up a table at the entry way with Star Wars stuff, including a life-size Darth Vader.  Wish I had snapped a pic since it was kinda funny seeing Vader stand guard over the yard sales.  The price for a life-like Darth Vader?  A cool $1,500.00. 

IMG_0830_zps5569f27c.jpg

IMG_0831_zps2119841a.jpg

First find of the day is a vintage Ansco PD16 Plenax folding camera.  It's in great condition, it even still has the price tag!  They wanted $15, got them down to $10.

IMG_0833_zps95164958.jpg

Next is from two different sales.  The Vietnam DVD and CD were $0.50 each, found across the street from the camera.  Everything was less than a dollar and they didn't have much out.  Not sure what the point is of setting up if you stand to make about $10 total.  Next I found Sniper PS3 for $5.  This sale was on the outskirts of town advertising games.  It had been pretty well picked through by the time I got there.

IMG_0886_zpsefd4ad12.jpg

NBA 2K12 was $1 (big Jordan fan, and this is one of the last US PS2 releases), and Dead Space Extraction was $5.  Paid $1 each for the GB games.  Pretty sure the only reason I picked them up is because the MILF running the show kept flirting.

IMG_0890_zpsd3496eec.jpg

This group is from several sales.  SpongeBob and Where the Wild Things Are were $2 each, the nephew will like those.  Crash for GC was $2.50.  I picked up Mario Sunshine but the case was empty.  How bad off do you have to be to steal from a yard sale?  The lady threw in the case for free.  It's cool though, I had a disc only copy that fit in there nicely.  Rolled upon the sale with the PSP games at roughly noon.  Was surprised to see that many still there until I asked the price.  They wanted $7 each (where the hell do you come up with a number like 7 at a yard sale?).  Was able to talk them down to $4 each and cherry picked these.  There were a few more I was interested in but only at about $2 each.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

And now I present Kate Upton doing the Cat Daddy:

Spoiler

#1383 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2069 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

Finds 5-24-14

It was Wii weekend.  Started off at a sale advertising a Wii, figured I could pick up a few games.  This was a bit out of the way in the country so I had little competition. 

IMG_0772_zpse14a2110.jpg

Ended up picking up the whole system for $20.  Only thing is I had overslept a little and in my haste to leave, I left my wallet at home.  Embarrassing.  Had to go home and get it then go back to pick up the system that they had set aside for me.  By the time I picked it up, it was almost 9 AM.

IMG_0767_zps1d86418b.jpg

Ran into this bundle a half hour later, Picked it up for $30.  They said the Wiimote didn't work but I figured it just needed a cleaning and the Skylander figures had been chewed on, probably by the rat looking dog the lady had with her.  A few other things I didn't notice until I got home was it was missing the sensor bar, the DJ Hero controller had a bad analog stick and the Wiimote was actually broken, the power button was missing.  I like the blue console so I will probably keep the stuff I like and bundle the rest with the black one on CL or something.  Kinda feel foolish for paying $50 for one console only last fall and then picking up two systems with games for the same amount the next spring.  The plus is it was like new and CIB as well as backwards compatible.  These were somewhat worn and non-BC.

IMG_0771_zpsf3df9488.jpg

This picture is missing the console which is an early model SPCH 1001 PS1, but that's not the reason I bought the bundle.  It was tagged $14 and the only game visible was Driver.  I always dig through the games just in case there is something hidden, it paid off this time.  Someone else had taken an interest as soon as I uncovered Rival Schools, so I just handed them the money without haggle.

IMG_0768_zps5365fc8e.jpg

I felt great after finding some decent stuff for the first time this year, I let my guard down with these purchases.  Paid $22 for everything above.  I didn't even haggle as I was still riding the high from the Rival Schools find.  I'm sure they're great shows, but I shouldn't have paid anywhere close to that price.  I'll have to remember that next time.

Spoiler

#1384 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2069 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

Finds 5-26-14

Memorial Day sale!  Pop-up sale advertised Game Cube.

IMG_0804_zps09a58855.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't see the sale until an hour after it started, by the time I got there the only stuff left was this GC in box for $5 and some crappy 360 games.  From the generic advertisement, I'm not sure if there ever were any GC games.  In cases like this, I just like to think that I missed out on wrestling games that people around here like so much.

Spoiler

#1385 alexkidd401  

alexkidd401

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

haha i knew what this was gonna be before I even clicked on it, I said I was gonna cut that part out and upload it as its own clip and send it to every idiot on craigslist that lists yard sales that end up having ebay prices. Bithead is the BEST, his score last week was amazing

Lol you gotta do it bro. When he says "NO. PRICK. SCUMBAG. FILTHY ANIMAL... I DON'T PAY EBAY PRICES!!!" I fell on the floor dying laughing. He kept it too real man lol

#1386 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1048 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Had a pretty good day yard saling on Saturday, despite being off my home turf (was on vacation with the wife's family in South Jersey). Here's the rundown.

Started out a sale advertising Pokemon stuff. None of the games, to my surprise, but I did manage to grab a bunch of stuffed toys and Pokemon yahtzee for $11.

Grabbed these from the second sale for cheap, they'll be going to cover costs for the day. First lot of GBA games cost me $3 and the lot of DS/3DS games cost me $4. The sellers were kids, but they seemed very happy to get the money.

The next find was my favorite of the day. Rolled up to a sale and asked about video games, and the guy mentioned a Sega collection his wife had been after him to get rid of. He brought a few bags worth of stuff, all chronicled below (post-cleaning). Lots of good Sega CD stuff, plus a complete Tower of Power! He threw out $60 and I countered with $50, which he accepted. I have a buddy who's a major Sega CD fan, I think the bulk of this is going to go to him.

The last find is one I'm not particularly proud. Asked about games at a house and the daughter went it to get stuff while I chattered with the mom. Nice people, but then they brought out a complete PS2 with an extra controller, Kingdom Hearts, and the DMC collection and wanted $50 for it all. I didn't want to pay that much but felt bad that they went through the trouble, so I spent $15 on the collection. Think I spent more than the eBay price on that. Ah well.

Non-yard sale side note: found an independent game store where the employees told me that the owner prices older games by what he sees at conventions. He should try a little harder, though, because I was able to grab P.N.03 (GC) for $5 and Rhythm Thief (3DS) for $22. The former goes for $10-$15 on eBay while the latter is $40+ at the moment, and I'd been wanting both. So take that, douchey store owner!

Nice Sega lot, especially for the price. Blackthorne 32X costs as much as you paid for the lot and Wonder Dog CIB isn't easy to find.

www.vg-force.com

#1387 ferant316   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   828 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I've done this quite a few times. Sucks being nice sometimes doesn't it?

#1388 mikespit1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1242 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Picked up this lot from a CL ad for $60. Think I did well with the shadow run and quacks hot carts plus the stick. Already have a non tmss model 1 so this system will get sold .

9W3IRuAl.jpg

#1389 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12439 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

That is a great SEGA CD lot!

And I agree Saturday would be the best day for a 1 day sale.

----

So I finally had some time yesterday and today to go through some stuff. I've been cleaning and taking pics for 2 days straight. I am 26 posts behind for this year (I still have some from 2013 too) and I haven't taken pics of my 4 best lots yet.

I've had to skip over a lot of non game stuff like records, boardgames and toys...But if I already snapped a pic of them I will post the oddball stuff too (assuming someone wants to still see it).

#1390 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

I know one CAG who wants to see the oddball stuff. Starts with I ends with 8.

Ironman8 CAG picture gallery. 

Ironman8 Free Code Giveaway

#1391 Sivarticus   Kentucky Fried Cheapass CAGiversary!   518 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I know one CAG who wants to see the oddball stuff. Starts with I ends with 8.

+1

#1392 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12439 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

7-28-14 Misc stuff post:

Paid 2 bucks total for these. D&D books and a kinda cool card book:

bucktotal3_zps3498c377.jpg

10 cents each: Popeye cup form the 70s, shot glass measuring cup (new), unused model, and a freebie vintage mini piano (I haven't seen one of these in years. I think they are from the late 70s/early 80s, but I am not positive.)

30cents2_zps203ad2cd.jpg

30cents_zps7621ab6b.jpg

1920s Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass book with illustrations. I love books like this, but I rarely see them. They aren't worth a lot, but I love looking at the etchings/art. Little Golden Book set 50 cents each

50centseach2_zps844ea927.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B000EK4UF2

^^^^^This will show some of the art on the amazon listing.

Last but not least, a "RARE" VHS $1 (I tend to have a good eye for things like this. Normally I wouldn't drop a buck on a VHS tape, but I was pretty sure this was a good one. You all probably have phones to look this stuff up, but I am going on instinct ;))

buckrarevhs2_zps97c0de64.jpg

:bouncy:

more to come...

#1393 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Looks like we found our DM for the game whenever the yard sale thread does a meet up/exchange. Cool stuff Slow.

#1394 notaspaceship   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   60 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

notaspaceship

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:12 AM

30cents_zps7621ab6b.jpg

I had a little piano just like that, it was a Christmas gift. It never would have occurred to me that it was collectible though. I was born in 1979, I don't remember how old I was when I got it. Thinking it's from the 80's anyway, seems logical.

#1395 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

I've done this quite a few times. Sucks being nice sometimes doesn't it?

Sometimes, but I feel like I've had it pay off more times than it hurts. Sometimes people just give me stuff when I'm nice. :D

#1396 dasme313   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

When I overspend at a yard-sale, most of the time its on lemonade, stuffed animals, or kids books. When the young'ns are out there working I don't mind putting out the extra dollars. There are some days I come across so many lemonade stands I can't stand to drink any more. So I'll get somewhere out of sight, dump the lemonade and keep driving.

#1397 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

Cool cameras Invicta. That's one thing I almost never look at. Would've popped on that brown box though. It's too cool to pass up. Anybody know about any digital cameras I should keep an eye out for? Any crazy resell prices on 2000 and up digital cameras?

#1398 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

Hoping for a good weekend coming up. Village Wide Yard Sales for me and I usually have a bit of good luck at them. Hoping it carries into this year.

Posted Image

#1399 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

When I overspend at a yard-sale, most of the time its on lemonade, stuffed animals, or kids books. When the young'ns are out there working I don't mind putting out the extra dollars. There are some days I come across so many lemonade stands I can't stand to drink any more. So I'll get somewhere out of sight, dump the lemonade and keep driving.

Because that's easier than just donating the money to them?

1095870.png

#1400 Unaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   620 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

Man...This thread makes me cry.  I wish I was in an area that hosted quality yard sales.  I get plenty but the only ones who host them are antiquers and old people with too much non-nerdy stuff. 

Tradelist (Currently on TL hiatus)

76561198012916920.png

#1401 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12439 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

Last week I dropped 50 cents on lemonade and didn't even buy anything at the person's sale. I should have just ran off. haha.

I've seen $2 cans of pop, $3 bottled water, and $1 cups of lemonade this year. Fuck that noise! These parents should be ashamed. It is supposed to be a courtesy/tradition/teaching your kids about money thing, not a money maker.

Normally what I say is: "I'll buy a cup on the way out if you want to get it ready." I say it loud enough for the parents to hear that I am buying it, so when I go to negotiate they have that in their head. The other reason is so it doesn't slow me down too much waiting for 3 kids to figure out how to pour from a gallon size pitcher into a dixie cup. ;)

I think I have achieved garage sale enlightenment. I just realized there isn't much more I can improve on in my approach to buying.

#1402 Ferrari Racer   Reporter for CAGNetwork CAGiversary!   6318 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I bought a can of beer once at a yard sale. They didn't ask for my ID...

Gamertag - ITS DAT DAM KID. NNID: Its_Pikachu.

#1403 commandercody83   SAMURAI!!! CAGiversary!   1150 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

commandercody83

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

Kudos to the lemonade drinkers. I didn't think that anyone here would be like that. I'm gonna try to be more open to the lemonade stands.

Jealous of mikespit and that Sega joystick. I had one of those as a kid. I traded it to Babbages when I got a ps1. I miss that thing.
For Shovelry!

#1404 dasme313   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Because that's easier than just donating the money to them?

Most of the time the lemonade stands are for profit and I see no reason to give the kids free money. If they're fundraising for something; cheerleading, Alex's Lemonade Stand etc... I will donate extra.

The only problem with getting that much lemonade is you come across some terrible lemonade... The brownies are almost always a good buy though, cookies are 50-50.

#1405 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12439 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

+1 on brownies. Though I will only buy them if the peoples stuff is clean and it looks like they don't smoke or have pets. They taste 10x better when you are hungry and if they are warm from the sun, they are still good.

Always carry hand wipes in your vehicle though.

Prepackaged is the way to go if you have a choice though. You can always resell it at your garage sale. ;)

#1406 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

+1 on brownies.

Prepackaged is the way to go if you have a choice though. You can always resell it at your garage sale. ;)

Brownie flipping thread? I hear Starbucks is offering double credit next week. Lol

#1407 dasme313   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   363 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Haha, never tried reselling brownies. Now we all know what the next step to becoming a yard-sale guru is! I did try to sell someone a half-eaten hot dog once, pitched it saying "only half the calories!" Unfortunately, no sale.

#1408 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

At our last yard sale my aunt dug up a bunch of Shasta daisy's and what we call father's day flowers, they bloom around that time. Placed them in individual planters and sold them for $1 a piece. Think she made at least $50 off those and probably could've gotten more but that was all she brought.

Posted Image

#1409 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12439 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

At our last yard sale my aunt dug up a bunch of Shasta daisy's and what we call father's day flowers, they bloom around that time. Placed them in individual planters and sold them for $1 a piece. Think she made at least $50 off those and probably could've gotten more but that was all she brought.

There are a LOT of plant sales around here. If they are something that can be split like hostas or ferns you can make money off of them every year. I keep trying to get my parents to sell off some of their plants. haha

I tend to put out bottles water and cans of pop for 50 cents each if we have a sale. It is a fair price and still makes a little money. Buy 12 packs on sale with CVS extrabucks to roll them and save the coke points for BB/target GCs arond christmas. ;)

I don't have a garage, so I usually put some of my stuff out at my neighbors house. The benefit of putting stuff out at a neighbor's place, is people won't push them too hard for deals. They can just say "It's my neighbors stuff, so I can't negotiate." I suggest you go with a simple pricing structure if you are going to rely on someone else though. All DVDs $3, all comics $1, etc to keep it simple. Don't put out anything collectible or high end or people will know that you are a collector.

Example: Don't put out a game used jersey card for Michael Jordan $100 and then have a shoebox of "unsorted commons" for $50 that "may contain some good cards".

I tend to just take a count of what I put out there of each item.

And of course check out your neighbors stuff for sale before anyone else does.  Back when I sold on ebay (I'm re-branding myself at the moment, so I am not currently selling in volume), I sold a couple things for my neighbor (I could have just bought them off of her, but I told her I would split the profit because I am too nice). She would have got $15 for the items at her sale and she ended up pocketing $65 because of me. (Waterford Crystal stuff in case anyone is wondering).

#1410 Unaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   620 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Example: Don't put out a game used jersey card for Michael Jordan $100 and then have a shoebox of "unsorted commons" for $50 that "may contain some good cards".

Trading cards of any variety are very fickle and are subject to the "I saw it on ebay for this much." mentality.  My favorite people are the ones who play dumb with Magic: The Gathering collections but really aren't.  They'll have a box of seemingly randomized cards, about 500-1000 or more and it will be all uncommons.  They ask for $15 for it which is extremely steep but off to the side they have a binder or box filled with rares priced at current market prices.  

Tradelist (Currently on TL hiatus)

76561198012916920.png