Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS download pre-order) - $30 @ Bestbuy.com

Thanks!  The url works for me, but it's probably using something in my cache to do so.  Put in your link instead now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah just realized. That's kind of a deal breaker. If you're GC, I suggest waiting for the retail cart version in case it sucks or you get bored from it you can always sell or flip. I don't understand why digital is even remotely close (or the same price) as retail, but alas, that's a point for another topic thread.... I'll try to bring it back to mario golf. I am very excited about this game.... Just hope it isn't delayed again... Whenever they actually schedule it for release.... Ughh

so tempting. like mario tennis 3DS, it could flop. Hmm...better off waiting for reviews. If it underperforms then it'll be $20 mere months after release

I'd be more excited if it had the RPG elements of the previous handheld versions.
Considering how much I loved the GBC & GBA versions and hated the N64 "Nintendoed" version, not having the game be labeled "Role-Playing Golf!" this time means the franchise is dead to me.

I can't wait for this game, especially with the online play and communities (from MK7) should make this a worthwhile purchase. However, I'll wait for the physical copy for pre-order to get the GCU discount :p

I feel like this would be a good game to have a digital copy of to have with you at all times. You can jump in and play a short round of golf whenever you feel like it, and return to whatever main game you're currently playing without the hassle of having to switch cartridges / carry multiple cartridges around.

It's an absolute shame the GCU 20% off doesn't work on digital games. Awful. I'd pre-order this digitally if it did. I hope Best Buy will change this policy in the future...

Has it been confirmed the 3DS version doesn't have the role-playing elements?  It would be the first portable iteration to not have them.  The console versions never did have them.

How do we know the game itself won't be $29.99 when it releases?

I'm also a bit concerned/confused about getting a code for a pre-order game with no release date.  I guess when it comes out, they e-mail you the code?  Anyone had experience with this?  What if they don't send the codes out right away?

Do we pay now, or upon release?  I wonder when it'll even come out?  (Sorry for all the questions.)

(But here's one more.)  How come this is the only digital pre-order with a discount?  (Assuming this is a discount...)

Looks like I'd pay sales tax, too, unlike on the eShop.  hmm.

I really enjoyed all of them, including the console versions.  I just always assumed it was a thing where the portable iterations got RPG modes and the console versions did not.  Hard to say if they'll continue that trend, but it sure seems like the RPG mode is popular.

I played the heck out of the Game Boy Color version and loved it, but I never played the Game Boy Advance one much for some reason.

I can remember being 18 and dying my hair blond while playing Mario Golf N64.  Wonder if it's why I'm bald now.  :)

I'm looking forward to this game, but I've never played a Mario Golf game before. How does it compare to Hot Shots Golf?
Same schtick but with Mario characters. Hot Shots Golf, a.k.a. Minna no Golf ("Everyone's Golf") was created by Camelot Software planning. They quit after the first Hot Shots and began doing Mario Golf instead.

Hope it's still them on this one, anyway. I think the last version to come out was Gamecube, wasn't it?

Same schtick but with Mario characters. Hot Shots Golf, a.k.a. Minna no Golf ("Everyone's Golf") was created by Camelot Software planning. They quit after the first Hot Shots and began doing Mario Golf instead.

Hope it's still them on this one, anyway. I think the last version to come out was Gamecube, wasn't it?
You would be correct. Having a new Mario Golf will be a welcome addition to the 3DS lineup.

Still not sure about ordering this version though. I'm a big fan of carts still.

You would be correct. Having a new Mario Golf will be a welcome addition to the 3DS lineup.

Still not sure about ordering this version though. I'm a big fan of carts still.
I definitely want the digital version, yet I'm still wary of this for some reason. I want it the day it comes out and don't trust them to send me the code on time; I also don't trust that the eShop version won't be $29.99 (although that seems crazy that it would be so low).

I'd love for the retail price to be $29.99.  After Animal Crossing and DK3D were $34.99 last year, was expecting more $34.99 titles, so was surprised when this and Mario Party 3DS were listed at $39.99.  If we knew for sure that the eShop price would be $39.99, I'd probably bite on this, even with the eShop credit built-up from the Best Buy December sales.  Just don't know if that's the case or not, though.

Edit:

On that note, hoping the early $29.99 price for Layton indicates that it'll be under $39.99 when it releases, too, but we'll see.

I'd love for the retail price to be $29.99. After Animal Crossing and DK3D were $34.99 last year, was expecting more $34.99 titles, so was surprised when this and Mario Party 3DS were listed at $39.99. If we knew for sure that the eShop price would be $39.99, I'd probably bite on this, even with the eShop credit built-up from the Best Buy December sales. Just don't know if that's the case or not, though.

Edit:

On that note, hoping the early $29.99 price for Layton indicates that it'll be under $39.99 when it releases, too, but we'll see.
I wonder how long we have to decide on Mario Golf?

I don't see Layton for $29.99 on Best Buy. Hm. Amazon shows it for $39.99.

I wish digital stuff would just regularly be $5 or $10 less than retail. If retailers don't like it, they can sell the digital codes themselves (and knock a few more bucks off from Nintendo's price).

I feel like I've seen little to no details about this game. Can anyone point me in the direction of an article that might explain some of the game modes available in the game? The 3DS Mario Tennis game was a big let down for me. I've done some googling and haven't been able to find much info on this game.

FYI, this is no longer available for reserve at my local Gamestop, so I don't know what Nintendo is doing with it (It was available to reserve most of last year with a placeholder release date of Dec 31st)

I definitely want the digital version, yet I'm still wary of this for some reason. I want it the day it comes out and don't trust them to send me the code on time; I also don't trust that the eShop version won't be $29.99 (although that seems crazy that it would be so low).

I'm pretty sure Best Buy would have to honor that price if you pre-ordered, even if the eShop price actually ends up $39.99 and Best Buy changes their DD price for it back to $39.99 as well. As long as you can cancel your order between now and the day before the game actually releases I would lock it in now if you want digital.

I'm pretty sure Best Buy would have to honor that price if you pre-ordered, even if the eShop price actually ends up $39.99 and Best Buy changes their DD price for it back to $39.99 as well. As long as you can cancel your order between now and the day before the game actually releases I would lock it in now if you want digital.
hehe looks like I'm quoting myself :)

But what if the eShop version does end up being $29.99? Then I'm out like $2 sales tax. :p Okay, I'm being silly. You're right; I'd better just grab this.

Okay, I finally went for it.  I now have visions of it releasing in March, not getting the code, and Best Buy saying, "It's not out until December 31 according to your order..." or something.

hehe looks like I'm quoting myself :)

But what if the eShop version does end up being $29.99? Then I'm out like $2 sales tax. :p Okay, I'm being silly. You're right; I'd better just grab this.
LOL

And I live in NY so I have no choice but to pay tax, so that's that! ha.

Okay, I finally went for it. I now have visions of it releasing in March, not getting the code, and Best Buy saying, "It's not out until December 31 according to your order..." or something.
Are you allowed to cancel your order? I may pre-order the digital version IF i can.

Am I the only 1 who loved Mario Golf 64?

I don't see why it's disliked so much?

Then again I never played the portable versions before.
I did. I also had to import the N64 Game Boy Adapter Pak so I could transfer my GBC character to the N64 version. That definitely made my day.

I did. I also had to import the N64 Game Boy Adapter Pak so I could transfer my GBC character to the N64 version. That definitely made my day.
I loved Mario Golf 64 as well. I've enjoyed every golf game that Camelot has made to this point.

Never cared for the Mario Tennis series though, not sure why that one just didn't work for me.

I feel like I've seen little to no details about this game. Can anyone point me in the direction of an article that might explain some of the game modes available in the game? The 3DS Mario Tennis game was a big let down for me. I've done some googling and haven't been able to find much info on this game.
There's a few small trailers on Youtube but most of the information they came out with (which was about 10 months ago) was about the online connectivity. The game is going to have online multiplayer as well as some other online features like communities (from Mario Kart 7) and creating your own tournaments. They also showed off 1 or 2 of the courses but other than that there wasn't much.

Went ahead and ordered the digital copy of Mario Golf 3DS, too.  Was waiting to see if it would've been regular $29.99, but

1) physical was $39.99 on BB.com

2) Layton was $29.99 at Amazon but $39.99 on eShop, which shot down hopes that a new $29.99 price range was happening

3) had a $10 rewards certificate expiring in 2 weeks, and don't have any need for more eShop cards @ 20% off after the December sales.

Interestingly the physical release has a 5/2 release date, whereas the digital release is 12/31, so hopefully that won't be binding on the digital version. :lol:

I'm hoping Mario Golf 3DS got delayed in the first place because they realized they needed to carry on the RPG mode tradition of the portable incarnations.  Tennis was rushed out the door when the 3DS needed titles, to poor effect.  Maybe they were going to do the same with Golf, which would be a seller regardless, but realized quality was more important than quantity and would turn out better in the long run.

Just me fantasizing...  

Looks to me like it's $30 at Amazon right now. Think I'll pre-order in case it goes back up.

Edit: I hate the $35 deal for shipping now. Looks like I'll have to add something on.

Mario tennis was pretty bare bones on 3ds- little RPG elements or whacky gameplay

Hopefully golf is better
It looks like the only RPG-type elements is customizing your character with different items to change their stats vs. a leveling up system. I liked the leveling up system, where I could throw the increase stats where I want instead of having a predefined item with predefined stats to choose from. As far as whacky gameplay, there's a course underwater. Think that qualifies. :lol:

Interestingly the physical release has a 5/2 release date, whereas the digital release is 12/31, so hopefully that won't be binding on the digital version. :lol:
Just got an email update that the digital release has been changed to 5/2, as well, so no worries there. :)

bread's done
Back