Xbox 1 digital store sales

jedi0077

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Are there ever any? I got a bunch of Microsoft gift cards for Christmas I'm still too cheap to buy something is not on sale! lol

Nothing yet. If you go into the XBL thread in the deals forum you'll get a public lynching for asking the question (I know from experience). Hold tight, there will be some sales eventually.

This soon after launch I don't expect there to be many sales on X1 content. It will take some time for the library to fill out and sales to come around. I also got a bunch of MS credit and am using that to purchase digital only content Halo:SA, Peggle, Season Passes, etc. Almost all full games are cheaper in-stores or on Amazon.

Microsoft has yet to catch on to the value of digital sales. They've been notorious for rarely having price reductions for any of their digital offerings, and their sales and specials are infrequent and not particularly good. It's been this way for a while.

They really need to start catching up. Steam and now PSN are considerably more savvy when it comes to using sales as promotions. It might simply be a product of Microsoft's former policy of maintaining tight control over pricing on all their digital games. Steam and later PSN would normally allow individual developers to dictate their own pricing for their titles. This is part of where their regular sales came from.

With some of the new developments on XBox Live, Microsoft has begun to loosen their tight control on their digital products. Hopefully we will begin to see more regular sales on XBox Live games as a result. It will probably take a little while for them to catch on.

Eh, they are hit and miss. The last few sales on the 360 were pretty damn good imho.

I don't think MS is going to do anything sale wise for the one till April or later, once the Titanfall hype wears off. I'm expecting Games with Gold in the summer and/or when enough people bitch. 

Here is an obviousish point, but it almost seems a rip off to pay the same price for digital as physical. Microsoft doesn't have to pay for distribution costs or give a cut to retailers.

Here is an obviousish point, but it almost seems a rip off to pay the same price for digital as physical. Microsoft doesn't have to pay for distribution costs or give a cut to retailers.
I was thinking the same but after sharing a couple digital games with my bro, I'm leaning towards buying a couple of upcoming games digitally just so I could share with my bro and vice versa, saving us both money. I'm waiting for Dead Rising 3 to get discounted digitally though and I'll jump on that if it's at least $10 off.

This issue of digital pricing is brought up every other day on one thread or another. MS and Sony have to keep regular digital prices the same as physical to not piss off brick and mortar retailers whom they still need to stock and sell the consoles and accessories. If they started digital prices at say $40 and Gamestop/Best Buy/Walmart, etc had to keep the price at $60, those retailers would not carry the X1 or PS4 and their accessories. I do believe digital prices will go down quicker than last generation but the best we're going to get is better and more sales once the digital libraries get bigger.

I'm not expecting any sales yet but I would like to see some free arcade games!   Microsoft is really dropping the ball here as Sony has 3 games already for free on the PS4.  I currently have both consoles but I would tell my friends to buy a PS4 because it's a better value at the moment. 

I'm not expecting any sales yet but I would like to see some free arcade games! Microsoft is really dropping the ball here as Sony has 3 games already for free on the PS4. I currently have both consoles but I would tell my friends to buy a PS4 because it's a better value at the moment.
They should have released Halo: Spartan Assault as the Games for Gold for end of December or beginning of January on both platforms or at least X1. Would have quelled customer dissatisfaction and promoted a game that hasn't done very well. Maybe could have pushed a few more Win8 and Windows 8 Phone sales if peeps had access to X1 version since it's cross play.

Once they start games with gold on X1, I suspect this will be one of the first free games. Great that they started sales on the platform, but this one doesn't interest me.

Once they start games with gold on X1, I suspect this will be one of the first free games. Great that they started sales on the platform, but this one doesn't interest me.
I think Lococycle will be the first free game. It's from the guys that made Maw, Ms Splosion Man and Splosion Man. Both the Maw and Ms Splosion Man were given away like crazy. The Maw was free through the McDonalds and Doritos promotions. Lococycle scored bad on top of that.

The game itself is promoted as being on sale when you go to the games marketplace, but no mention on the main home/dashboard.

Good news. Larry Hyrb (Major Nelson) posted this in a reddit thread complaint about no digital discounts.

"We are way aware of this and many of the concerns of the community," he said, before reassuring commenters that competitive pricing is "on the agenda."

no shipping no production no retail commissions. And no trade ins on top of that.
All that said I still want the digital copy. I like just starting a game. Digital games should START at least 49.99 and go on sale just like real games. Fast please.

I agree with you 100% Jedi I don't like swapping discs at all anymore due mostly to laziness. If they had good pricing on par with what I see on PSN then I would have no problem going digital fully. However from past experiences I am doubtful we will see it unless MS  widely undersells on the X1

Curious if anyone is holding off on buying games like powerstar golf and crimson dragon being that M$ is eventually going to start games for gold on Xbox One?  Those are games I think will be made available pretty early on in the program.

The sales have been pretty poor so far but I think things will start changing.

Curious if anyone is holding off on buying games like powerstar golf and crimson dragon being that M$ is eventually going to start games for gold on Xbox One? Those are games I think will be made available pretty early on in the program.

I purchased PSG at launch and Spartan Assault when it came out. I held off on Lococycle and Crimson Dragon for the poor reviews and the eventual Games with Gold inclusion. I'm betting a bunch of people did a similar thing.

Curious if anyone is holding off on buying games like powerstar golf and crimson dragon being that M$ is eventually going to start games for gold on Xbox One? Those are games I think will be made available pretty early on in the program.

I have not bought a single xbox live game. None of them look worth the money. I never really played my downloaded games on 360 as much as I should of so I think that's led me to not buy a downloadable game unless I know I'll play it a lot.

Most the games I downloaded on 360 I would play once or twice and never go back to them again. Shadow Complex, Bionic commando HD, and lots others. Yet I played the hell out of Trials.

EDIT: I am wrong. I bought Killer Instinct. I have only played it the first day I got it. I forgot I still had it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft better announce some free games for Xbox One in February. At the moment I can't recommend people buy the Xbox One over the PS4 unless you are wanting to play Kinect games. The title of this thread should be Xbox 1 has NO Digital sales. $5 off an arcade game, that's not impressive.

Yeah if its anything like Xbox 360 digital prices, you could be waiting a long time. Even old games are still selling for way more than they are worth. I think i seen Nba 2k13 for 40 dollars digital on Xbox 360, when i can get it 20 bucks anywhere else, or even as low as 12 on ebay. There is no point in going digital when the digital prices cant compete against the retail prices for physical copies of the same game.

Last edited by a moderator:
is anything on sale this week? I check quick and didnt see anything.
Lococycle had a permanent price drop to $10, that's all I saw. Or was that last week? lol.

I'm guessing something goes on sale next week before Plants vs Zombies and Rayman Legends drops.

bread's done
Back