Amazon Game Purchase - was it resealed?

hitme123

CAGiversary!
I'm calling it an Amazon purchase but it’s really one of their sellers, but since they give them prominent display (the default seller on the product home page) and fulfil the order (Amazon ships it), most would not realize it’s not really amazon, so I consider them just as guilty.

So here is he issue. I was hunting for a few old Nintendo DS games that I missed this holiday season. I bought a few new games, and one of them was Radiant Historia. This game got rave reviews and was sold out for a long time. You could only find used copies of this game, and they were very expensive.

I remember reading some months back that Atlus did a reprint of the game so I wasn't too suspicious when I found a brand new copy on Amazon's website.

I made the order and received the game, however I 'm suspicious that it has been resealed as the plastic wrap does not look as elegant as it usually is on brand new games, it doesn't have the fold on the corners, and has a line at the bottom. I'm including images to show what I'm talking about. I'm also comparing it with the three other NDS games that I bought.

[SIZE=11pt]What do you guys think? Do I need to make bring up an issue with Amazon?[/SIZE]

I've bought a resealed Y-fold on ebay before (PGR4) - first negative I left. I trust CAGs more than 3rd party "store" sellers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a reprint copy of Radiant Historia from Play-Asia and it's sealed the same way. There've been Atlus games in the past that haven't had y-fold seals, so it didn't bother me.

However, I have had problems with resealed games from Amazon third-party sellers before (mainly just NorAm, TBH). Which seller was it?

3rd party is 3rd party... don't hold amazon responsible for that.

Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) just means they're shipping it for the seller. They don't sit there and inspect every last detail.

It's very common for publishers to seal games that way when they are reprints. Capcom does it a lot on their games. But RE 3DS games are sealed that way now.

I can't speak of this particular title though because I don't own it.

I got a reprint copy of Radiant Historia from Play-Asia and it's sealed the same way. There've been Atlus games in the past that haven't had y-fold seals, so it didn't bother me.

However, I have had problems with resealed games from Amazon third-party sellers before (mainly just NorAm, TBH). Which seller was it?
The seller was {{removed name in edit}}. This was my first time using them.

I'd hate to give them a bad rip since I'm not sure it’s resealed yet. I avoided opening it in case I was going to return it to Amazon. After what you said about your experience with the copy you got I'm tempted to open it and look inside.

*** Edited to remove seller name since I have since opened the game and nothing looks suspicious. Check my posts below. Didn't want to give a seller unnecessary bad rep without proof.

3rd party is 3rd party... don't hold amazon responsible for that.

Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA) just means they're shipping it for the seller. They don't sit there and inspect every last detail.

It's very common for publishers to seal games that way when they are reprints. Capcom does it a lot on their games. But RE 3DS games are sealed that way now.

I can't speak of this particular title though because I don't own it.
Thanks for replying and sharing the extra info. That makes me feel more comfortable about the purchase.

I'll disagree with you about Amazon's responsibility with 3rd party sellers though. I already mentioned my reasons in my original post. This wasn't a marketplace seller that I chose; it was the default seller on the product main page. Most people would not notice it wasn't sold by Amazon when they add it to the shopping cart, especially since it was fulfilled by Amazon = no extra shipping charges.

Lately more and more of the items I'm buying on Amazon turn out to be from a 3rd party seller. If Amazon is giving them prominent use of their site they deserve to take the blame as well, after all I'm shopping on Amazon because I expect a certain level of service and they can't hide behind 3rd party sellers.

Thanks for replying and sharing the extra info. That makes me feel more comfortable about the purchase.

I'll disagree with you about Amazon's responsibility with 3rd party sellers though. I already mentioned my reasons in my original post. This wasn't a marketplace seller that I chose; it was the default seller on the product main page. Most people would not notice it wasn't sold by Amazon when they add it to the shopping cart, especially since it was fulfilled by Amazon = no extra shipping charges.

Lately more and more of the items I'm buying on Amazon turn out to be from a 3rd party seller. If Amazon is giving them prominent use of their site they deserve to take the blame as well, after all I'm shopping on Amazon because I expect a certain level of service and they can't hide behind 3rd party sellers.
That's crap.

Right under the item it says...

Sold by SOMEONE and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

No one is going to misunderstand that, it's laid out so everyone can understand.

Amazon isn't hiding from anything, they're being a fair marketplace.

That's crap.

Right under the item it says...

Sold by SOMEONE and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

No one is going to misunderstand that, it's laid out so everyone can understand.

Amazon isn't hiding from anything, they're being a fair marketplace.
Sorry still disagree.

Even if you use crappy language, you still made no point.

I've been using Amazon since 2000. That is 14 long years. Probably longer than most people on this board.

Try that during the busy holiday season when you are frantically trying to get deals.

Here is another annoyance: find an item that you like, add it to your cart, and then continue browsing through the items that are on special. Spend just 10-15 minutes and check your cart and you will find that the prices for a lot of items in your cart had changed during that time. Happened to me a lot this holiday. Yes Amazon does display a message that prices have changed, but they should have given a price lock on items that were in your cart. That’s one annoyance, 3rd part sellers are another. I can think of 10 more but I'm not here to discuss my shopping experience with Amazon. They are a great site, which is why I’ve used them for 14 years, but they are not infallible, unlike what you think.

Sorry still disagree.

Even if you use crappy language, you still made no point.

I've been using Amazon since 2000. That is 14 long years. Probably longer than most people on this board.

Try that during the busy holiday season when you are frantically trying to get deals.

Here is another annoyance: find an item that you like, add it to your cart, and then continue browsing through the items that are on special. Spend just 10-15 minutes and check your cart and you will find that the prices for a lot of items in your cart had changed during that time. Happened to me a lot this holiday. Yes Amazon does display a message that prices have changed, but they should have given a price lock on items that were in your cart. That’s one annoyance, 3rd part sellers are another. I can think of 10 more but I'm not here to discuss my shopping experience with Amazon. They are a great site, which is why I’ve used them for 14 years, but they are not infallible, unlike what you think.
Then, why don't you order the item first and look for other specials afterward if it kept happening? That's quite stupid for them to "price-lock" your cart. You could have a price mistake and add it to your cart and have all the time in the world to order it.

Also, I've had no problems ordering what I wanted during busy times like the holiday season.

Then, why don't you order the item first and look for other specials afterward if it kept happening? That's quite stupid for them to "price-lock" your cart. You could have a price mistake and add it to your cart and have all the time in the world to order it.

Also, I've had no problems ordering what I wanted during busy times like the holiday season.
[SIZE=12pt]You'd have to apply common sense. No one in his right mind would expect a price lock to be indefinite! Something reasonable, let’s say 20 or 15 minutes while you add items to your cart, exceptions could be made to inventory availability … etc etc [/SIZE]

If I'm in a regular store I can grab an item that is on sale and keep it in my cart while I continue shopping. I would not expect the price to change once I reach the counter 30 minutes later. Amazon's goal is to compete with the major retailers so maybe they need to consider all scenarios.

[SIZE=12pt]You don't always have the luxury of buying a single item. Sometimes the shipping cost outweighs the savings, so you combine items to get that free shipping. Another reason to pile items is something they call "Add-on items”. Those are usually small items that are not worth shipping by themselves so Amazon tells you to buy them with another item to purchase them. I have a few of those items on my to-get list so whenever I add a regular item it’s a chance for me buy those items.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]So, yes, there are many reasons why you would continue shopping after adding a purchase to your shopping cart and Amazon incentivizes it; they do after all want you to spend more on their site.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The only time it makes sense to buy a single item is when it comes with free shipping or you have Amazon prime. I tried their free 30 day trial and I went gangbusters, but I don't buy enough in a year to justify it, neither do the majority of Amazon's customer, and amazon is not a stupid company to neglect such a large portion.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Any way .... this discussion has been derailing into an Amazon debate, which is not why I created this thread. I'm interested in hearing the opinion of those who had bought a game and thought they were resealed. Let’s get back on topic. Thanks.[/SIZE]

so i am curious, are you planning on playing it?

the seal looks poor, so i understand your perspective. but it you are going to open and play it then i wouldnt worry.

never had an issue with amazon/third party like this.

Game companies really need to go back to putting security seals over the opening of the cases, especially for DS and 3DS games. I know a game could still be resealed even with a security seal but it would at least help a little. One thing that I liked that EA did with some non Y Fold shrinkwrapped Gamecube games was that they printed the EA logo on the actual shrinkwrap in multiple spots so even without the Y Folds, you could tell it was factory sealed.

Game companies really need to go back to putting security seals over the opening of the cases, especially for DS and 3DS games. I know a game could still be resealed even with a security seal but it would at least help a little. One thing that I liked that EA did with some non Y Fold shrinkwrapped Gamecube games was that they printed the EA logo on the actual shrinkwrap in multiple spots so even without the Y Folds, you could tell it was factory sealed.
Yeah I remember that. Good times.

Nintendo should probably worry more about putting adequate seals on their consoles (2DS, Wii U).

Yeah you are right. I opened my Wii U bundle last week to take out the Skylanders items so I could sell them and was surprised that there was no kind of seal or tape on the outer box (and it was also annoying the Skylanders game itself wasn't sealed at all).

I have sealed copies of Radiant Historia from the first, second, and third run (current ones are fourth run) - all are Y-fold sealed (even the first run inside the box with the soundtrack has a Y-fold). Maybe the fourth run is heat sealed to save on costs? If you're buying this to keep sealed, I'd return it and try to get a y-fold - if you're going to play it, open it up and see if anything is off. You can always file an A-Z claim if it is clearly used.

so i am curious, are you planning on playing it?

the seal looks poor, so i understand your perspective. but it you are going to open and play it then i wouldnt worry.

never had an issue with amazon/third party like this.
There are brand new factory sealed DS game without the Y-fold. No need to worry about this.
I have sealed copies of Radiant Historia from the first, second, and third run (current ones are fourth run) - all are Y-fold sealed (even the first run inside the box with the soundtrack has a Y-fold). Maybe the fourth run is heat sealed to save on costs? If you're buying this to keep sealed, I'd return it and try to get a y-fold - if you're going to play it, open it up and see if anything is off. You can always file an A-Z claim if it is clearly used.
I purchased the game to play, so I'm I wasn't concerned about the wrap per se. I wanted to know if the seller was dishonest or not. I really have it for sellers that cheat and I was willing to go through the hassle of complaining, returning and leaving them negative feedback although the price I paid was close to what used copies were selling for. At the same time I didn't want to jump the gun and accuse and honest seller, so I appreciate everyone's feedback. I did end up opening the case after what everyone said and it looks legit inside, but man, the wrap was really cheap; the type that easily crumbles. Very surprising that an original wrap could be of this quality.

Yeah I remember that. Good times.
Nintendo should probably worry more about putting adequate seals on their consoles (2DS, Wii U).
Yeah you are right. I opened my Wii U bundle last week to take out the Skylanders items so I could sell them and was surprised that there was no kind of seal or tape on the outer box (and it was also annoying the Skylanders game itself wasn't sealed at all).
True that. I've returned an unopened 3DS system and saw an employee open the sealed box and close it back. Those two round stickers they have on the flaps are easy to remove and apply again without damage to the box or sticker.

I agree that game companies should invest in better seals for games. They do after all hate used game sales and this will make it easy to detect legit new games and make it harder for sellers to scam buyers.

Plenty of games have the shrinkwrap seal rather than Y-Fold (for example every Ace Attorney game).  It seems like a lot of the Canadian financed reprints do as well.

I only got one resealed game from Amazon via secondary seller. It was resealed and they put a generic security sticker on it, not the official Xbox one. I opened it up and the disc had light scratches on it and the manual had a bend in it. Needless to say, I was annoyed. I contacted them and told them about it and they refunded my money immediately and said "Don't return the game, keep it"

The game worked, so I got a free game out of it.

bread's done
Back