WTF Amazon? RAAAAGE. I just had a slidecage moment!

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
To put things in perspective I place hundreds of orders on Amazon each year and have next to no problems. I don't typically sweat small things (shrinkwrap tears, small dents, soft corners, etc.) and it takes a lot for me to contact Amazon customer service... so combine that with my HATE for photobucket (why can't we just upload directly to CAG?) and you have a pretty good idea of how upset I am right now.

I had shipments from Amazon arrive Friday and a shipment arrive this morning. I wasn't around this weekend so I just got to inspecting everything a few hours ago. Typically UPS doesn't come until about 5PM but they showed up at 9AM this morning (Monday) because I'm assuming they didn't come Friday (Huge ice storm in the Northeast; my one package that was delivered Friday was a UPS ----> USPS delivery and USPS did deliver on Friday).

Problem # 1:

On January 4th, 2014 I found this gem on Amazon and thought it was a really good find. It was the only one available but it was sold and fulfilled by Amazon directly 

ups1.png

But this is what I received:

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02339.jpg

DSC02340.jpg

So instead of sending me the guide they sent me the insert that is supposed to be shrinkwrapped to the back of the guide.

It's a pretty obvious mistake when you look at the UPS tracking information:

UPS.png

^ I mean there isn't a video game guide in the world that weights 6.40 ozs.

And the frustration begins when I go to contact customer service. I of course get an outsourced rep who doesn't understand my problem (I wish I had taken a screen shot of the chat....). I'm trying to tell them I ordered a guide (book) but just received a piece of paper. He tells me that UPS must of lost the package and made a mistake with the tracking. I try to explain that I received the package but the book was missing and all that was inside it was a sheet of paper (can be confirmed by looking at the weight). He tells me to wait while he looks at the product details and the researches the issue [long story short nothing is resolved]

While he's researching the issue a UPS truck rolls up (as I said before this is unusual for the time of the day.

I get a bunch of packages and among them is this:

DSC02341.jpg

^ this was PS4 that I ordered for my office. The box isn't in terrible shape but the top is pushed in and honestly it is pretty inexcusable for a retailer like Amazon to ship a $400, hard to find, electronic without a shipping box.

Then I quickly check the other boxes forgetting I am still in a live chat with amazon customer service and find this:

DSC02345.jpg

The box is too short for the set to stand straight up, which is how I imagine it "should" have been shipped. Now combin that with the fact they used next to no packing material and I'm left with a $260 (I unfortunately didn't pull the trigger when AZ had them for $209) collector's piece that is beat to hell... again sold by and shipped by Amazon.

DSC02343.jpg

Bottom is completely torn off... plastic is cracked all the way around with pieces all over the place. Top looks like it was glued on so fortunately it's still there but there are cracks all the way around the top edge and up and down the side

DSC02344.jpg

But it's okay because I ordered two! So at least I'll have one to keep sealed for collecting purposes and one to watch.... right?

Nope! The other one is just as bad (tired of uploading pictures at this point).... It was packaged the same way [it shipped separately but in the same fashion].

So... I remember I'm still in the live chat. I get back up to my computer and immediately disregard what the agent is saying and just tell him I apologize but I'm leaving the chat because I have more issues with other orders that just arrived and I'd like to resolve everything at once.

I then decided to call Amazon directly  because I figure it'll be easier to try and take care of all the problems in one attempt.

Of course the agent has a thick accent and a hard time understanding my issues. We started with the Skyrim guide and she sends me a return label. Obviously there is no chance at receiving a replacement because this item hasn't been stocked for a year or two (maybe more... it went OOS when the vanilla edition released two years ago).

Then we get to the breaking bad set. I told her I really REALLY wanted these and was going to hold off on returning them until they could verify if they'd receive more or if the print run is finished. It's currently OOS and odds are they won't receive more but I've heard rumors there is going to be another printing.

Thinking out loud here but I'm pretty sure I'll end up keeping the one that is in the best condition and then sending the other back since neither is in good enough shape to display.

Before I hung up I rambled for a bit about being disappointed that they'd actively decide to ship a PS4 without a shipping box but as long as it works I guess it's a moot point.

------------------

Now I really don't like to make waves but this is just a lot of bullshit for one day; and unfortunately all items affected are hard to find, unable to replace items (I think they have an allotment of PS4's on hand for people that are experiencing problems so I'm sure I could get that replaced if anything is wrong with mind) but I'm bumming big time about the guide and the Breaking Bad sets.

I don't know if they are under pressure to get items out quickly due to all the bad press they received around the holidays but personally I would much rather they get it right then rush items, especially valuable hard to find items, out the door.

Does anyone have an e-mail address or phone number that will go directly to a U.S. amazon employee? 

I know I'll never get the guide... and it's not a big loss because I have a sealed one in my collection it's just not in great shape (thank you best buy) so I was hoping Amazon would come through there.

But those Breaking Bad sets...... 

Well at least I feel better now that I've typed all this up.

PS4s arent hard to find, you sound like a Craigslist reseller saying that! I saw 7 at Target and 4 at Kmart yesterday and that was after 4pm so they had been sitting there for awhile. Sucks about the rest of that stuff though, dat packaging job on BB!

PS4s arent hard to find, you sound like a Craigslist reseller saying that! I saw 7 at Target and 4 at Kmart yesterday and that was after 4pm so they had been sitting there for awhile. Sucks about the rest of that stuff though, dat packaging job on BB!
Your experience with PS4's may be the exception.. I mean there isn't a single reputable .com that has had it in stock for more then a few seconds the past week or two so I doubt the majority of retailers have them sitting on store shelves; I mean I know they don't in my market it's another story though with the big green X1 boxes though

Ive been having bad shipping with amazon too recently. They dont seem to do a good job of padding items to keep them from bouncing around.

I bought a joker funko pop and it came all dented because it was shipped in the same box with a DVD player i also ordered.

Then a few weeks later i ordered a skeletor funko pop along with 2 dvd season sets, and guess what, that funko pop was even more damaged than the joker.

Its like they just throw items in a box and could care less if they bounce around. Im never ordering any funko pops from them again unless its the only item in the order, otherwise i can guarantee that it will be damaged when i get it.

Ive been having bad shipping with amazon too recently. They dont seem to do a good job of padding items to keep them from bouncing around.

I bought a joker funko pop and it came all dented because it was shipped in the same box with a DVD player i also ordered.

Then a few weeks later i ordered a skeletor funko pop along with 2 dvd season sets, and guess what, that funko pop was even more damaged than the joker.

Its like they just throw items in a box and could care less if they bounce around. Im never ordering any funko pops from them again unless its the only item in the order, otherwise i can guarantee that it will be damaged when i get it.
I'm typically pretty good about placing my orders in a fashion where the person packing them can't get reckless...

Like one time I ordered a heavy textbook and some steelbooks and of course they shipped the steelbooks in a box.... UNDER the textbook and ever single one was flattened.

Now for example I'd place the order for the textbook... wait until it's in the shipping soon stage... and then order the steelbooks. I have a prime account so I don't have to worry about dividing orders up to account for FSSS.

I've gone on rants about this before but I wish they offered a premium shipping upgrade for a few bucks for collectible items. In theory they shouldn't have to but I'd still be willing to pay for it. I know certain sites like BBTS (BigBadToyStore) offer it to appease their consumers who are collectors.

I had the exact opposite problem with my Amazon PS4, it was in a box big enough to fit 3 other PS4's, with the PS4 box itself wrapped in bubble wrap, and then some air pockets stuffed inside the box with it. seems they are getting really slack lately. either too much box, or in your case..none at all.

I had the exact opposite problem with my Amazon PS4, it was in a box big enough to fit 3 other PS4's, with the PS4 box itself wrapped in bubble wrap, and then some air pockets stuffed inside the box with it. seems they are getting really slack lately. either too much box, or in your case..none at all.
I had a similar problem there with a gift card I ordered late last year. It was sent in a gigantic plastic bag, like the type that clothes are typically shipped in, though this one was big enough to hold a beach towel. Of course, the cardboard piece attached to the card came all bent up, but fortunately, the person I bought it for didn't mind.

Their packing jobs vary wildly nowadays from great to terrible. There are certain types of items I avoid buying on Amazon altogether because that crapshoot exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm typically pretty good about placing my orders in a fashion where the person packing them can't get reckless...
Never underestimate the power of the human will. Lazy people who don't give a shit will jump any hurdle to be lazy. I remember during launch week people were worried about getting PS4s without a shipping box. I thought no way would a retailer do that. Turns out ...
Normally rants are justified but overly dramatic, but this cluster of shipping debacles would send me through the roof.

Damn, these are some serious first world problems right here, j/k :razz:. I'd be pretty damn pissed off too.

I assume the seller of the Skyrim C.E. guide was just trying to somehow attempt to swindle people, unless it was a trade in to con amazon directly. What was the product description for it?

Sounds like this guy got all of your packing material for the PS4.

The Breaking Bad C.E.s though, that's just tragic. Wholly unacceptable on their part.

Damn, these are some serious first world problems right here.
$1,000 worth of FUBAR shipments is a $1,000 worth of FUBAR shipments. In one day.

I would hope if I was having third world problems I wouldn't have the time or resources to bitch about it on the internet.

$1,000 worth of FUBAR shipments is a $1,000 worth of FUBAR shipments. In one day.

I would hope if I was having third world problems I wouldn't have the time or resources to bitch about it on the internet.
I was kidding around, although rereading I can see where it didn't come across like that. In any case, I updated my post. So, did you get any sort of concessions out of amazon, or just the usual "here's a return label and we will refund you" crap. I'd suggest you post the pics and story to a site like the consumerist, you'll get a lot more views and possibly a call/email from someone a bit higher up at amazon.

I was kidding around, although rereading I can see where it didn't come across like that. In any case, I updated my post. So, did you get any sort of concessions out of amazon, or just the usual "here's a return label and we will refund you" crap. I'd suggest you post the pics and story to a site like the consumerist, you'll get a lot more views and possibly a call/email from someone a bit higher up at amazon.
You didn't have to edit your post; I didn't mean to come off as defensive (although it looks like I did) as I'm usually the first one to interject or criticize when someone else complains about a soft corner here or a dent there and I'm typically able to overlook something like that because it really has happened so infrequently to me. The last time I actually returned something was when I bought a grill cover two years ago that already had tears in the fabric.

I am going to call back once I figure out how to speak with someone stateside. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not getting the guide as it's OOS OOP and was just a lucky find in the first place and wasn't anything I really needed or wanted but would make good trade material and depending on the condition I could have swapped it out for the one I already have in my collection.

The BB sets do upset me though just because the only reason I paid the $270 for those was because I wanted it as a collector, so condition was important. I mean soon enough you'll be able to stream the entire series for free (once they release the final episodes on netflix) and if all I wanted was the physical discs you can get individual blu-ray seasons for $10-$15 a piece if you're patient.

I'm not a diehard BB fan (It's actually a guilty pleasure of mine to engage people who claim it's the greatest show ever) but it was a great show and it'd be a cool piece to have. I just like stuff like that....

I blew $300 on the Daniel Marshall Scarface LE Humidor set and I don't even smoke cigars... I just thought it looked really cool

Well for one thing, let them know with the packaging feedback what a piss poor job they did with it. They do eventually pay attention to that if you give low ratings about dented crap.

I assume the seller of the Skyrim C.E. guide was just trying to somehow attempt to swindle people, unless it was a trade in to con amazon directly. What was the product description for it?
It wasn't some 3rd party seller that was fulfilled by Amazon trying to pull a fast one. If you look at his 1st image, you'll see that it was Amazon itself that sold the guide. So this was either a screw-up with stock on their part or someone returned it like that and tried to keep the guide.

As for juangrande's response as to why complain about the PS4. How would you like to receive a new system you paid $400 for arrive banged up that could potentially cause the system to malfunction? I'd think anyone would be pissed about the lack of packaging.

It's crap like this is why I've tried avoiding ordering stuff directly from Amazon recently and order from 3rd party sellers that I know does package order well.

It wasn't some 3rd party seller that was fulfilled by Amazon trying to pull a fast one. If you look at his 1st image, you'll see that it was Amazon itself that sold the guide. So this was either a screw-up with stock on their part or someone returned it like that and tried to keep the guide.
That was the craziest part! These were all sold by and shipped by amazon transactions!

I really think that the guide and the BB sets may have been returns that they just shipped back out. The BB sets sold out after a day of popping up at $209 and unfortunately I waited too long. Then they came back in stock with a backordered ship date and that's why I got my order in... but I thought Amazon typically took returns and put them right up in AWD

That was the craziest part! These were all sold by and shipped by amazon transactions!

I really think that the guide and the BB sets may have been returns that they just shipped back out. The BB sets sold out after a day of popping up at $209 and unfortunately I waited too long. Then they came back in stock with a backordered ship date and that's why I got my order in... but I thought Amazon typically took returns and put them right up in AWD
man, i would def send all out it back (except the ps4 since i personally havent seen any in the Pittsburgh area since it launched). the skyrim guide is just some plain old bullshit and I would be blowing up phones everywhere. hope you get some results.

also, you can upload pics to cag - you have to do it by adding them to your photo album and then just copy n paste

Just tell them that you want to speak to somebody stateside, it may take some time but you'll eventually get somebody.... or you can just call over and over again.

Almost forgot about this one, the part where they ask if your problem has been resolved, say no to everything and have them give you a call back.

With the way consoles are shipped individually, there's a higher risk with mishandling along the way than if they get sent in bulk to retail stores.  I prefer to get my consoles at stores where I accumulate credit.  In the chance you're given the unit that was placed alongside the edge of the shipping box, you sometimes will get the option to swap it out for another console in the back.  In this case, the PS4 has been tough to acquire at stores so I can understand this was a one off deal that was only accessible at Amazon for you. 

I'm not even all that upset anymore; creating this thread picture by picture was a little therapeutic. I think I'm going to upload pictures of the second BB set because that is actually much worse then the first one. It was packaged a little bit better and wrapped in thick bubble wrap but once I removed that the plastic casing basically fell apart.

The good news is that BB set came back in stock for about 30 seconds yesterday and I got another order in so if that arrives in good condition I'll just send these back (after redeeming the UV codes..... just kidding :) ).

My Breaking Bad set was cracked on the bottom.  Also, my Hobbit Extended Edition statue box was crushed.  I put in for a replacement and it came crushed as well.  Amazon has been slacking a lot.

This isn't a slidecage moment.

I can actually understand everything written here, and it lacks a conspiracy theory.

Disappoint! *flips table*

Plus, what happens if the site you purchase the digital copy of BB from loses the license & pulls it off the site?  Pay for it again on some other site?

It sucks having to buy any electronic device like a TV, computer, or game console from these kinda places as they are always beaten to hell on the way over. I would say even if you have to give up a better deal online it's sometimes best to buy this kinda stuff from a store opposed to shipping it from an online sale but the truth is this stuff gets roughed up no matter where you get since everything is shipped and comes from a souce. At UPS they get pitched around on a line then gets thrown by loaders onto their trucks (delivery and trailers) while retail stores like Target and Wal-Mart pay people whose job is literally to stand at the end of a conveyor and chuck incoming boxes into the trailers as fast as they can. And as someone who has seen what some of these trailers look like upon arrival to the stores for unloading (yet another process where shit gets thrown around) I bet some of you would be horrified to see what they tend to look like.

^ This. I've seen a bunch of workers load up a UPS freight trailer. While for the most part they're careful, when it's close to quitting time you can begin to see the indifference in these employees. I don't mind ordering stuff online, but I definitely would prefer a store if I was buying something larger or more expensive.

I cant imagine placing hundreds of amazon orders yearly... as well as having a PS4 for the office... I'd like to have your problems ;)

^ This. I've seen a bunch of workers load up a UPS freight trailer. While for the most part they're careful, when it's close to quitting time you can begin to see the indifference in these employees. I don't mind ordering stuff online, but I definitely would prefer a store if I was buying something larger or more expensive.
I hate to burst your bubble but a lot of brick and mortar stores will receive items directly shipped through UPS. Furthermore, you think a UPS worker making $12 or more an hour is apathetic about their job, try a retail logistics employee unloading a truck overnight making barely more than minimum wage...

There's always going to be a "weak link" in the chain that doesn't give a shit about the merchandise they're handling.

I hate to burst your bubble but a lot of brick and mortar stores will receive items directly shipped through UPS. Furthermore, you think a UPS worker making $12 or more an hour is apathetic about their job, try a retail logistics employee unloading a truck overnight making barely more than minimum wage...

There's always going to be a "weak link" in the chain that doesn't give a shit about the merchandise they're handling.
Well I know many B&M stores receive packages from UPS. But they usually don't get only one or two boxes. They may get pallets and boxes stacked in a way to protect the boxes. I was talking about large individual packages going out to clients. You also have a chance to inspect a box in store and reject it if you want, but yes not everyone will be so willing to go the extra mile at a low paying job. Anyways with the OP's packaging issue had me worried for my recent AWD purchase since I also noticed the quality of their packaging going downhill.

1nxv.jpg

They packaged my Hyperdimension Neptunia lunchbox real carefully. It came in great shape.

OP, I so would just return everything. I'd be mad too getting my stuff from Amazon like that. Broken products due to lack of padding, sticker on the console box, and a piece of paper for a strategy guide.

Of all the Amazon items I have ordered, I have received only one badly packed item.  Poor handling by UPS is probably what broke my items. It was for some dual layer blank DVDs.  One spindle was side ways and the other was vertical, barely able to close the box. 

Guessing while it was being shipped my package might have been thrown around.  The two air pillow bags were flattened.  The spindles were both damaged, luckily the discs were still usable.

Seeing how all the horror stories are during/near the holidays lately.  I'm guessing Amazon got super busy.  I think I'll try to order when it is not a holiday.

You can say that collector's edition was ::puts on sunglasses:: Broken Bad.

YEEEEEEAAAAAH!!

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about that. I've never had issues with amazon. I'm guessing certain distribution centers are better or worse than others.

You can say that collector's edition was ::puts on sunglasses:: Broken Bad.

YEEEEEEAAAAAH!!

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about that. I've never had issues with amazon. I'm guessing certain distribution centers are better or worse than others.
Picture2-17.png

yes some are worse than others... I've worked in 3 total and there is def a difference in quality of work. The main issue is his packages were probably shipped out by an under trained temp worker knowing they were going to get laid off in a week. I've seen it many of times

bread's done
Back