Seagate 1TB/8GB Hybrid HDD $84.99 10AM-12:59PM PT 01/20/2014

AndrewCounty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Seagate 1TB/8GB Hybrid HDD $84.99 NewEgg ShellShocker 10AM-12:59PM PT

NewEgg ShellShockers are usually free shipping, but I don't know for a fact that it will be.

I believe this is the cheapest I've seen this drive, but I could be wrong.  I'm posting this because a lot of people were putting them in their PS4s.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?nm_mc=EMC-SD012014&cm_mmc=EMC-SD012014-_-SD012014-_-item-_-22-178-381&et_cid=4609&et_rid=43798

If the link doesn't take you directly to the HDD, it should be the second item in the carousel.

Edit:

Title was previously Samsung, it's a Seagate.  Sorry about that, I misread it.

Edit 2:

Replies are correct, a 3.5 inch will not fit in a PS4.  Total fail on my part.  I apologize...

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this a 3.5" HDD? PS3/PS4 only takes 2.5" HDDs. Sizing should definitely be in the subject line (desktop vs laptop).

The description says that it's 'the first SSHD in small form factor' and that it also has full 'SSD-like' performance. I have no idea if that's true, but 1TB of SSD is basically fast enough to run all of your programs at once. I can't really see hybrid matching those speeds. Would be an amazing deal if it can, though.

I have no hands on experience with anything other HDDs. I think I'll pick this up to serve has the main drive in Windows desktop that could use some breathing room in terms of storage. If I move everything over including the OS and use the current HDD as long term storage, old photos and the like, will I see the marked improvement I hear so much about? Or should I look at a small SSD holding the OS and applications to compliment my current HDD if I want to see that kind of overall performance boost?

Hybrid drives just put popular cache files on the SSD part.  I'm not entirely sure what other purpose they have but there's still a 5400 rpm hard drive doing most of the work.

bread's done
Back