How Many is Too Many Steam Games?

ColFantastic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So how many Steam games are too many games to have? I was chatting with a CAG on Steam who I friended and he was amazed at my 120ish games. Is that an abnormal amount of games?

I've only been on Steam for about a year but almost all of my games have come from Humble Bundles as I've done 21 of them over the past year. Probably 25-30 or so games I've purchased through Amazon or Steam itself. Out of those 120 games, I play/have played 30-35 of them including having played them on other systems.

What buying habits do you guys employ with regards to Steam? I usually purchase the Humble Bundles even if there is only a game or two I would actually play since it goes to charity anyways. I also try to avoid getting sucked into the big Steam Sales but I do enjoy them when they occur. I will also purchase a Steam copy of a game if I've played it on Xbox/Playstation if I might want to go back to it at some point and its super cheap. I can then trade in the  physical copy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many games is when you're spending more time and money hunting games to increment the counter next to All Games in your steam library, and there's better ways to spend your money.

As it stands, I had my account on steam for 2 years- a year of that only having Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics on it.

In the past six months, thanks to a number of bundles and things from the Summer, Autumn and Winter Steam sales, I've taken that number 491... and I'll probably have another dozen games before the end of the week thanks to a new Bundle Stars bundle, another 3 games to be added to the January Indie Gala, and maybe a random one if steam has a good sale or if Amazon pulls out something amazing.

All told, I've spent less this month on steam games than the cost of ONE retail console game. I was wondering the same thing during the Christmas season when I saw my steam library jumping by leaps and bounds. As such I've been keeping a budget spreadsheet, and so far I've still spent less than even a 3DS game, all while adding 20+ games to my steam account. (Including Starbound, which if you didn't get through the Humble bundle would be half the cost of a retail 3DS title anyways.

Don't forget that come September, Steam will be adding in the Family library sharing... that's been something that's reminded me that there's extra value to this... while I could share my console games with my friends and family, it'd require handing physical media around, shipping it cross country, internationally... but as soon as that gets turned on, I can grant them access and easily share a giant library of games- and still get full value out of them myself.

Typically, I check here or reddit every few days to make sure I'm able to get in on every interesting bundle, even if it's just at the $1 tier. Typically anything higher than that will depend a lot more on the contents. Basically, almost any game that costs 50 cents or less and looks at all interesting gets picked up.

Steam sales are mostly for picking up things I'd been meaning to but didn't want to spend full retail on.. for example, in the Winter Sale I picked up Spelunky, Guacamelee, and then a number of things that looked interesting and hit 80% or better (Like Super Hexagon).

I'm still tracking my spending, but between never actually buying anything less than 50% off and the ability to even make a little bit back or fund some other games makes it pretty easy to make money stretch a LOT further than spending it on console or full retail pc games.

When I have over 200 games and 90% to 100% of them have been played/ended - I donate my account to the public. I start a new account and begin anew with games I never played before with the exception of MP games like L4D 2, No Room In Hell, TF2 and others.

I wish there was a way to giveaway a game you already ended - especially games that are not moddable.

Last edited:
I have 259. All from Drops on CAG, Steam Sales, Bundles, and from the website on my signature. The Thing the sucks is i can only run 40% of my games. 

When you're buying games you don't even want, just to fill in the gaps in your library.

When you spend more time browsing for deals than playing the games.

When you are willing to pay up to 800% original price to buy a game that Steam has removed, just to say you have it.

When all your bookmarks and RSS feeds are deal sites.

When you are trying to buy a game and realise you already have it in your library

When you are thinking "do I eat tonight, or do I buy this game?"

When you are looking at another bundle thinking "I have 80% of those :( "

When you consider buying the DLC for a game you never play.

When you don't play a game in case you miss out on a deal.

If you answer "yes" to ALL the above, then.....maybe...

Maybe that should be the CAG mantra lol

Last edited by a moderator:
When you're buying games you don't even want, just to fill in the gaps in your library.

When you spend more time browsing for deals than playing the games.

When you are willing to pay up to 800% original price to buy a game that Steam has removed, just to say you have it.

When all your bookmarks and RSS feeds are deal sites.

When you are trying to buy a game and realise you already have it in your library

When you are thinking "do I eat tonight, or do I buy this game?"

When you are looking at another bundle thinking "I have 80% of those :( "

When you consider buying the DLC for a game you never play.

When you don't play a game in case you miss out on a deal.

If you answer "yes" to ALL the above, then.....maybe...

Maybe that should be the CAG mantra lol
10535254.jpg

bread's done
Back