Astro A50 $225 @ Gamestop.com

This is amazon's normal price, but their out of stock right now, so this is the current best deal going. 

I'm not sure if these work on PS4/ONE as I don't own them, but they work fine with my PS3/360, so there shouldn't be an issue. I haven't tried a lot of wireless headphones over the years, but these things are beyond awesome. I got a set of PX5's a few years back, and they where cool and provided a good sound quality, but they never felt loud enough.

Last year Astro had some ass backwards April fools joke where they offered the A50's for $150, so I jumped on a set. The sound quality between the two is night and day. The A50's don't have the options and presets of the PX5's, but they make up for it in raw power and sound. 

Per Astro Product Page,

Console Compatibility

PS4 Compatibility

ASTRO headsets are fully compatible with PS4 once the Firmware 1.50 update has been applied to the console. Our headsets will deliver Dolby® Digital 5.1 and 7.1 game audio and full voice chat functionality over the PlayStation Network.
Xbox One Compatibility

Our headsets will all deliver Dolby® Digital GAME AUDIO on the Xbox One, just like they do for the Xbox 360. However, the chat connector on the controller is now a proprietary connector, meaning that our current products will require an adapter to connect to the controller for Xbox Live voice chat. Fortunately, until this chat adapter is available, the built-in Kinect microphone will provide full voice communication access to Xbox Live while using ASTRO headsets on the Xbox One.

Last edited by a moderator:
I set these up last night on my PS4 and they work great.  I'm sending audio via to the Mixamp via optical and to my home theater receiver via HDMI.  

You do need to upgrade the firmware on the Mixamp and Headset first which you can grab at https://www.astrogaming.com/firmware/firmware.html 

I found this video helpful (not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3fjr4-5SFQ

Yup, bought these a week ago at my local GS. Got extra 10% off for being opened before. 

Works on the Xbox One for game audio for now through optical audio. No chat unless through Kinect for now. Adapter should be coming soon.

Not only do they work, but they are the best headsets you can get hands down. perhaps for quite a long time too, esp if that sony vr headset is going to be $500+ in 2014

anyway, the astro a40 (2013 w mixamp pro) and a50 are the best headsets youll see for the ps4/x1 (a40 is wired, a50 is wireless, but the same thing essentially, tho some prefer one over the other, and i think the wired are for me)

so if ur lookin to get the best headsets, maybe you can price match with that 10% at best buy and then someone can scan/share their ps4 code with me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only do they work, but they are the best headsets you can get hands down. perhaps for quite a long time too, esp if that sony vr headset is going to be $500+ in 2014

anyway, the astro a40 (2013 w mixamp pro) and a50 are the best headsets youll see for the ps4/x1 (a40 is wired, a50 is wireless, but the same thing essentially, tho some prefer one over the other, and i think the wired are for me)

so if ur lookin to get the best headsets, maybe you can price match with that 10% at best buy and then someone can scan/share their ps4 code with me lol
Are you referring to the 10% PS4/XB1 code?

I tried the A50 once, but the one I got had a bad humming sound. I was going to get it replaced, but ended up going with the Skullcandy PLYR 1 (also made by Astro). I think it's weird that the PLYR 1 has a MUCH better stand than the A50s which I found kind of cheap. If the 10% coupon works, I may give them another shot.

bread's done
Back