Official Elder Scrolls Online Discussion Thread (PS4) - Game now available for Preorder, Collector's Edition!

koalak

CAGiversary!
RELEASE DATE: JUNE 2014

91ETo-bEBAL._SL1500_.jpg

It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom.

Four years ago, in 2E 578, an arcane explosion of energy in the Imperial City set off mystical aftershocks that swept across Nirn. Mages died or went mad. Supernatural abominations from the plane of Oblivion, the Daedra, appeared in greater numbers than ever before. The constellation of the Serpent grew so large that it dominated the night sky.

So began the grand scheme of Molag Bal, Daedric Prince of domination and enslavement. His Dark Anchors, vortexes of evil magic, weaken the barrier between worlds, threatening to merge Nirn and Oblivion into a single, nightmarish hellscape.

In the midst of this chaos, three alliances vie for control of the Imperial City and the White-Gold Tower. High Rock, Sentinel, and Orsinium stand as one, united under the rule of the High King in Wayrest. Valenwood and Elsweyr have forged an alliance of their own with Summerset, while Black Marsh, Morrowind, and Skyrim have formed a third, uneasy pact.

The Daggerfall Covenant. The Aldmeri Dominion. The Ebonheart Pact.

Three armies will take up arms against the Empire, and against each other, to wrest control of the Imperial City and White-Gold Tower from the dark forces of Oblivion itself.

Where do your loyalties lie?

PREVIEWS

IGN

Gameshampoo

Eurogamer

WIKIS

Orcz

UESP

Wikia

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very tempted to get this game. I put over 300 hours into Skyrim and loved every minute. I've never played an MMO before but anything Elder Scrolls is good in my book. The $15 fee is no problem to me. Sadly none of my friends have any interest in this game so I'm pretty sure going solo in MMO's isn't ideal.

I have a huge fear about this game:

The servers for each platform are separate. Breakdown: X1 is it's own server, PS4 is it's own server, PC/MAC have their own servers.

Community support for consoles are more likely to empty out quick, and thus being left in the dust. I am very torn if I want this for PC or PS4.

The servers for each platform are separate. Bteakdown: X1 is it's own server, PS4 is it's own server, PC/MAC have their own servers.

Community support for consoles are more likely to empty out quick, and thus being left in the dust. I am very torn if I want this for PC or PS4.
Its an mmo. what community support? Its not like there will be mods for it like their previous games.

Any updates and expansions should come out to all platforms, it just might come to some sooner. As far as the # of players, if thats what you mean by community support, i'd bet that pc would have the most as that is the main target platform and typically where MMOs are played.

I havent decided yet on what I will do, plan to upgrade my pc finally after years of neglect so might get it for that. Not thrilled about 15/month either. May wait for a few months before it inevitably goes F2P before taking the plunge. Still not sure how well it will translate to an mmo experience. With all the bugs they have in single player games, I cant imagine how buggy this will be to start with.

Its an mmo. what community support? Its not like there will be mods for it like their previous games.

Any updates and expansions should come out to all platforms, it just might come to some sooner. As far as the # of players, if thats what you mean by community support, i'd bet that pc would have the most as that is the main target platform and typically where MMOs are played.

I havent decided yet on what I will do, plan to upgrade my pc finally after years of neglect so might get it for that. Not thrilled about 15/month either. May wait for a few months before it inevitably goes F2P before taking the plunge. Still not sure how well it will translate to an mmo experience. With all the bugs they have in single player games, I cant imagine how buggy this will be to start with.
I was referring to the amount of long staying players. Without community support, the server is more likely to either shit down (more realistic) or go FTP. Then there will also be the dinstinguished gap of high level characters to low level characters and be disgruntling for any chance of new player sign up.

Can I coin a new name for this game and see if it goes viral like xbone did?  Lets just call it....Failder Scrolls Online.

Seriously, this game is doomed to failure.  The Star Wars MMO went FTP so quickly and this doesn't have the same appeal as Star Wars.  MMO's are not as popular as they were 10 years ago and most people are growing out of them. 

On top of that, this thing is such a money grab.   It's got a $60-$100 initial buy in.  It has a $15/month fee.  It's got a "pay to win" shop. 

I'm sorry but the "pay to win" shop should only be in FTP games.  Then again, maybe they have it in there from the get-go because they know they're going to be FTP within a year of launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ZZSGPTpik

Have any of you seen how the game looks?!  I'm paying.  Bethesda even said if people wanted it to look good, it would cost and I believe them.

How much extra pipe(fiber) will they have to lay as well as additional servers to make sure it's butter smooth with next to no lag?  That will definitely cost money people.

If you want it to look like shit then it can be FTP.  I want the game looking like Skyrim if not better and I'll pay.  Let me make this clear, I'm the cheap sob that HATES paying online fees for stuff like this.

The servers for each platform are separate. Bteakdown: X1 is it's own server, PS4 is it's own server, PC/MAC have their own servers.

Why the heck would they do that? I mean, I get that Microsoft has a weird thing about keeping their stuff separate, but other developers have done a great job getting PC/PS3/PS4 gamers to play together. I really hope you're mistaken (although I have no reason to doubt you) because that totally kills any interest I have in ESO.

Why the heck would they do that? I mean, I get that Microsoft has a weird thing about keeping their stuff separate, but other developers have done a great job getting PC/PS3/PS4 gamers to play together. I really hope you're mistaken (although I have no reason to doubt you) because that totally kills any interest I have in ESO.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/11/the-elder-scrolls-online-will-not-have-cross-platform-play/

Not where I first read it, but here is another website stating the same.

As far as I know, I have been playing the beta weekends since the sept 2013 on PC and there is only 1 Megaserver in existence.  Since I have provided a LOT of beta feedback, and I live only a hour away from Zenimax Studios, I was lucky to get invited to see their offices, and as far as I know, there is still just one mega server infrastructure.  Now they could que pools of people from each platform and keep them isolated but I bet if the console versions of ESO don't do well due to lack of players, the could just merge the pools together to play with all the PC/MAC players.

So far I'm liking the minimal interface approach in 3rd person view but in 1st person, I"m not sure how they are going to pull off the number of abilities a character can pull off at once when you have a keyboard to hit multple keys in rapid succession.  will be harder with button combos.

Sorry if someone else has created a thread for this game, but I dug this relic up from last year.

Who is currently playing on PS4? I just picked the game up last night and am really enjoying it thus far. I was wondering if anyone has bought Crowns yet? I've been debating about getting the starter pack so I can get a mount, seems like it will take a long time to buy one with Gold in-game. 

Feel free to add me if you want to play at all. My tag is Lord_Hypnos

Which faction did you pick? That affects where you start the game and who you can play with. I'm in Daggerfall Covenant.
Pretty sure that's the one I choose, it was the middle option. I just started playing last night, so I haven't had a ton of time so far, but made it to level 6 before calling it a night.

What time might that be? I did agree to play Destiny around 6 P.M. Pacific time for the pertinent activities following this morning's weekly reset.

What time might that be? I did agree to play Destiny around 6 P.M. Pacific time for the pertinent activities following this morning's weekly reset.
Probably around 5:30 - 6 PM Eastern. I'd play Destiny with you, but I am sure you have a full group and I have pretty much given up on the game at this point. Still considering House of Wolves, but I wasn't impressed by Crota and have yet to bother with that raid yet.

I'm usually not able to play until a couple hours after you get home. If nothing else, I should have a lot more freedom this weekend than usual for some Elder Scrolls adventuring. But I am an admitted Destiny addict.

No worries, I just got home a little bit ago myself. I sent you a friend request, just send me a party invite if you want to group up tonight. I was once a Destiny addict as well so I understand needing to get your "fix". This particular weekend I'll be out of town so I doubt I will have much time to play aside from after work during the week. Definitely looking forward to doing some adventuring with ya though, we can talk wrestling and gain XP! It will be glorious. 

Sounds good, man. We can figure something out. It's not like we're going to run out of things to do in ESO anytime soon. Have you been progressing through the main story or doing other things?

Sounds good, man. We can figure something out. It's not like we're going to run out of things to do in ESO anytime soon. Have you been progressing through the main story or doing other things?
Little bit of both. I ended up buying some Crowns and got the starter pack so I could get a mount and I made a high elf sorcerer last night, which will be my primary character. I'm glad to see that the Crown Store for the most part is just cosmetic stuff, really mounts are the only thing worth buying IMO and that is only if you can't wait to save up enough gold to buy one from the in-game stables.

Can someone give me a brief summary of this game for someone who loved skyrim but has never played an mmo?
The Wiki that Matt had linked will definitely provide quite a bit of info about ESO. As you can probably tell by the two of us being the only active CAGs in this thread right now, I really am enjoying the game quite a bit.

Now you can't go into ESO expecting Skyrim though. ESO is definitely an Elder Scrolls game, but it's also very much an MMO. The gameplay and style is much like Oblivion or Skyrim, but definitely an MMO (lots of grinding, loot, crafting, etc). If you go into ESO expecting an online Skyrim you will likely be a little disappointed.

That's basically the same thing I would have said. I didn't know how to explain MMOs to someone who hasn't played the genre, so I simply provided that link.

I should really play this more. Preordered it on PSN and played to level 7/8 and just stopped lol. It was really fun what I did play of it though

I grouped up for the first time last night. Did Spindleclutch and some other instance I hadn't personally unlocked yet. Lots of loot and XP and it was a lot of fun. The only bad thing was that nobody wanted to stop and talk to the NPCs. I like to see all the information they provide and absorb the story.

I grouped up for the first time last night. Did Spindleclutch and some other instance I hadn't personally unlocked yet. Lots of loot and XP and it was a lot of fun. The only bad thing was that nobody wanted to stop and talk to the NPCs. I like to see all the information they provide and absorb the story.
I've gotten into a bad habit of skipping through text like a mad-man. Old MMO habits die hard! I've played quite a few MMORPGs over the years and I feel like this has been a pretty regular thing to do in every game, it's like I want to finish the quest before the other randoms getting it do! I need to slow down and start reading the text, some of the quest lines have been really interesting so far.

I think these guys had all already beaten these particular instances on other characters. I'm a fast reader, too, but they seemed to have no interest in the story.

I think these guys had all already beaten these particular instances on other characters. I'm a fast reader, too, but they seemed to have no interest in the story.
MMOs typically don't have much interesting stories, although ESO seems to be interesting for the most part. It's all about the grind and the loot and the more time spent reading is less time spent grinding and getting loot.

First DLC pack coming out September 16th for PS4.

1341786250926357796.jpg

The Elder Scrolls Online gets its first DLC pack, Imperial City, soon. It hits August 31 on PC, September 15 on Xbox One, and September 16 on PS4. It’s bundled for ESO Plus members—$20 for everyone else. If you’re playing ESO, let us know! How are you enjoying it?
I'm assuming you'd only have access if you are an active ESO Plus member unless you buy the DLC for $20, but if for some reason you don't it only makes sense to go Plus for $15 and get the perks along with the DLC. Is anyone else an ESO Plus member currently? If so, is it worth the price? From what I understand you get a monthly allotment of Crowns and you gain exp quicker. Aside from that I can't really see what the monthly subscription would offer me. I am definitely going to get the DLC regardless as I am satisfied with the non-subscription content already and would like more ESO to explore.

Ugh. I think I am done with this game. Certain design choices they made have really ruined it for me. 

The removal of the text chat in an MMO is absolutely ridiculous. Combined with no AH in the game makes buying and selling the game nearly impossible. Even when going into trade area to try and fine someone to trade with you cannot hear them over the music playing and kids screaming about everything. 

Voice chat is great in groups but it does not replace a normal chat system. Off all the things to remove when making a console version, why on earth would you choose to remove something like that. Its not like it would have made it more difficult to port the game, they actually had to make changes to the game to remove the chat feature. 

bread's done
Back