New PSP-3000 + 6-8 Games: $99.00 (+tax/free shipping) @ Walmart.com

onikage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
I had been looking for a new PSP and thought this was a great deal:

Link

You choose 3 games to go with the system, with a couple of 2-packs available as single choices. Additionally, 3 boxed/sealed games (Hot Shots Tennis, Hot Shots Golf 2, Patapon) came inside the PSP retail box. These games are not mentioned as part of the deal on the site, so I suppose they could be YMMV. But unless someone has had experience with Walmart.com that would suggest otherwise, I'd assume everyone would receive the same bundle.

needs to be 49.99

The Sony Playstation Portable Slim PSP-3000 features an unmatched library of PSP entertainment content, combining more than 135 games

Talk about  lowballing the numbers  the psp has tons more then 135 games   hell i probally have  200 to 250 alone 

Last edited by a moderator:
IM confused...how do you know these comes with the 3 sealed games inside??

edit: I guess the OP already bought and received one...wasn't entirely clear from the post.

IM confused...how do you know these comes with the 3 sealed games inside??

edit: I guess the OP already bought and received one...wasn't entirely clear from the post.
some psp packages have 3 games inside the package you wont know until it comes to you.

So is a PSP worth purchasing vs. a Vita?  Not really familiar with the system, just wondering if there is a reason to buy it over the Vita?  And what about a 1000 vs. 3000, what's the big difference between the new and older models?

So is a PSP worth purchasing vs. a Vita? Not really familiar with the system, just wondering if there is a reason to buy it over the Vita? And what about a 1000 vs. 3000, what's the big difference between the new and older models?
Someone else can better answer the differences between the 1000 and the 3000, I know the 3000 is improved (probably at least battery life, screen, and ergonomics), and some accessories work with some models and not others, but they all play the same games.

I couldn't go back to the PSP from the Vita. I never really got into the PSP (have a 1000), I preferred Nintendo handhelds. But I'm loving my Vita.

Advantages of the PSP: the system is cheaper, and the games are dirt cheap.

As far as the extra pack-in games, that's pretty cool if you get them, but it'd suck if you chose Hot Shots Golf 2 and Patapon as 2 of your 3 games. Also, be aware that some of the choices are duplicated in double-packs that are also available to choose: Dark Mirror/Fire Team Bravo, Arctic Edge/Twisted Metal are the double packs, and all but Twisted Metal are available as individual choices as well. If you get the double packs and the pack ins, you might end up with 8 games to play on your new system.

Or $30 more get a used vita instead. A lot of people have had luck with cowboom and warehouse deals systems being in great condition (I bought my Vita new, though, didn't want to risk it).
I was the same way. Bought mine for a $200 from a fellow CAG. Totally worth it. I received a PSP for my birthday last year. I have more games for my Vita, but I play my PSP from time to time. Can't go wrong with either system.

Really depends on what kind of gamer you are.  If you like to keep up with the latest releases, obviously you'll want a Vita.  Another point to consider is that if you go the PSP route, any physical games you buy will later have to be re-bought if you get a Vita and want to play them on there.  Of course, the other side of this is that PSP games are getting pretty cheap and I imagine that will be the next system Gamestop starts clearancing out so you could potentially build a large, impressive library for very little.  

Also, there are some games that were never converted to digital so they can only be played on the PSP.  

I agree with the "Get a Vita" sentiment.

There are many PSP/PS1 games playable on the Vita, and the Vita screen - while not "HD" - is a huge upgrade from the PSP (especially the OLED model). So those games surely look crisper being played on Vita.

Now I'm sure someone will point out all the PSP games that are NOT available digitally on Vita (or are not compatible with Vita). That is true, but I personally wouldn't pay $99 for a console that old just for the purposes of maybe seeking out those games. Looking at hardware alone, the Vita is so much more advanced it's not even funny. I'd probably do about $49 for the PSP - although I'm loving my Vita so much I'm not sure even that would do it at all. The Vita is basically like a PS3 in your hand - so you can see your friends lists, trophies, check email, Netflix, etc. In terms of navigation speed and browsing capabilities, the Vita is actually BETTER than the PS3. 

Hmm, my GoW PSP-2000 is 5 years old now. I'll keep this in mind as a possible replacement, but this PSP is pretty much MSRP+3 free games. Nice, but not great.

the vita is backwards compatible with digital psp games right? also custom firmware on the psp is so easy this is still a good deal
yeah vita is backwards compatible with most psp games though there are some games missing like Birth By Sleep and Crisis Core because of disney. Also psp's are so cheap on ebay you might as well get a used one if you want cfw

Not that good of a deal for a PSP IMO.  Just looking quickly on Craigslist near me there's a bunch in the 40-60 range, some with games.

I would say go with the vita, personally. I got a vita and not only is it a really cool portable but it feels good in my hands.

The PSP, I ended up selling because it's just too small for my hands. I Never got used to it because it just never sat comfortably in my hands and hurt on a couple occasions after a long session.

Is there a list of games that aren't available digitally on the Vita for the OG PSP?
The Notable games that aren't on there are:

Star Ocean 1 & 2

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Final Fantasy 7 Dirge of cerberus

ys 6 ark of napishtim

Breath of Fire 3 (Available on European psn)

Metal Gear Acid 1&2

Phantasy Star Portable

Valkyria Profile

Shadow of Destiny

Final Fantasy 1 & 2 (psp) remakes.

If you are just looking to play Final Fantasy these are what's available

FF1&2 - ps1

FF3 - PSP Remake

FF4 - PSP Remake

FF5-9 ps1

FFX/X-2 - Vita Remake .

Honestly I'd still recommend a vita just because of the hardware but if you want a psp nows the time to buy umd's because gamestop are beginning to dump them plus with CFW you can rip them to a memory stick.

If you're thinking about getting a vita vs getting a psp you really should just go with a vita.
Well, it depends. If you're not particularly interested in any Vita software, it's not worthwhile buying a Vita just to play PSP games, especially considering with the Vita you'd be missing out on the massive PSP secondhand market.

Fantastic deal - PSP is such an underrated system. And a better emulator machine than most of these $99 consoles coming out. Old games look fantastic on PSP because the resolution is close to those old games original 240p or 480i. 

That's a good deal.  If I had $100 Walmart gift card plus the tax lying around, I'd jump on this. 

I'd even jump on it if it was for the PSP 2000 or E-1000 model.  Already have a PSPGo and a 3000.

Kind of wish the PSPGo had a remake.

With this bundle, I'd recommend getting the two Dual Packs and some game.  Followed by adding the other dual packs as options if you're looking to have decent library started.

How easy is it to mod the 3000? I mainly want to get one just to play some old ps-one games on and maybe some genesis titles.

Does it require a hardmod or a softmod?

I mainly want to get one just to play some old ps-one games on and maybe some genesis titles.
B000HQG5FG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38754090_.jpg

And PSX/PSOne games are available via the PSN store.

Great deal, great library of classics that are dirt cheap, zero region protection and does wonders when it's made "special". 

Will grab one to stash away. 

needs to be 49.99

The Sony Playstation Portable Slim PSP-3000 features an unmatched library of PSP entertainment content, combining more than 135 games

Talk about lowballing the numbers the psp has tons more then 135 games hell i probally have 200 to 250 alone
There is most definitely not 200-250 games worth owning on the PSP.

There is most definitely not 200-250 games worth owning on the PSP.
That depends on if you like japanese only games. Hell they are still releasing games on it. Also if your goal if just to play ps1 games and emulators I'd get a psp go. It's the same size as an iphone plus it has a save state function so you can save games anywhere and turn the machine off.

That depends on if you like japanese only games. Hell they are still releasing games on it. Also if your goal if just to play ps1 games and emulators I'd get a psp go. It's the same size as an iphone plus it has a save state function so you can save games anywhere and turn the machine off.
Not to mention TV Out & Bluetooth compatibility.

I've probably played more PSOne titles on my TV in my PSP go's use than I've played PSP games.

Not to mention TV Out & Bluetooth compatibility.

I've probably played more PSOne titles on my TV in my PSP go's use than I've played PSP games.
My only problems with tv out with the psp go is that psp games don't take up the fullscreen and their is no way to charge the system while playing.

The only reason to get a PSP now is for emulators. However, the Nvidia Shield is even better for emulators, much more raw power. It might be better to wait on a deal for that if you're after portable emulation.

My only problems with tv out with the psp go is that psp games don't take up the fullscreen and their is no way to charge the system while playing.
You're correct that PSP games don't take up the full screen. Some TVs work better than others, and the Playstation 3D TV Sony released a few years back actually had a special PSP setting to scale the picture to fit perfectly.

PSX/PSOne games do take up the full screen though, so its as if you're playing them on the original hardware.

And you can absolutely charge the system while playing if you're using the cradle. There's a connection for the standard PSP AC adapter in there.

18.jpg

The only reason to get a PSP now is for emulators. However, the Nvidia Shield is even better for emulators, much more raw power. It might be better to wait on a deal for that if you're after portable emulation.
Yeah, because fuck the 9 years of PSP software released, mirite?

No, but most relevant PSP titles can be played on the vita. And there is even a PSP emulator for Android.
Yeah but the problem is that you'd be stuck paying full price on the Vita, wheras the secondhand PSP market is absolutely massive.

Emulators are bullshit so I'd rather not even talk about that.

The market is massive because nobody wants to deal with those slow POS UMDs. Also, there is no demand because everybody and their mother pirated PSP games like there was no tomorrow. That killed the system and lead to the weird DRM on the vita.

I stand my recommendation to get a vita or a shield instead of a PSP.

"Everybody and their mother pirated PSP games, so you should do!" sounds like a really poor argument.

It falls back to that whole "If everybody jumped off a bridge, would you do too?" saying that's been around forever. As a human being you should strive to be better than your fellow man instead of just falling into line with their failings.

I am telling you why used PSP games are cheap in the physical form: because they are awfully slow and because nobody was ever buying them to begin with. I am not saying you should pirate games.

But by all means, if collecting UMDs is your thing, enjoy. I still think the experience will be better on the vita, and I'd rather pay more than deal with UMDs.

Either way, I have the feeling you are starting to troll me, so this is my final post in this thread.

bread's done
Back