Philip Seymour Hoffman has passed away. 1967-2014.

HeroToTheMasses

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
RIP. He was found dead in his NYC apartment from an apparent drug overdose. 

The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner is working to determine the exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment on Bethune Street in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film, "Capote."

The actor was found in the bathroom of his fourth floor apartment in the Pickwick House around 11:15 a.m. by screenwriter David Katz, who called 911, the official said.

The accomplished actor and director won the Academy Award for best actor for his role as famed author Truman Capote the 2005 film "Capote," and a strong following in New York's theater scene, starring in plays like 2012's "Death of a Salesman" and directing others, like 1999's "In Arabia, We'd All Be Kings." He was nominated for a Tony Award three times.

Mr. Hoffman's breakout role, however, was in 1997's "Boogie Nights." He also received accolades for his roles in high-profile films such as 1998's "The Big Lebowski" and 1999's "Magnolia."
phillip-seymour-hoffman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny how out in the open drug use in Hollywood is. The only way a drug addict has any hope of recovering is to hit rock bottom, yet guys like this who are talented keep raking in the dough. It's a death sentence for any junkie to make it big in film or television.

This guy was mainlining heroin for Christ's sake. Whoeveer did not see this coming is either willfully ignorant or naive. Now we are going to hear about the disingeunous tributes and memorials. Makes me sick.

It's funny how out in the open drug use in Hollywood is. The only way a drug addict has any hope of recovering is to hit rock bottom, yet guys like this who are talented keep raking in the dough. It's a death sentence for any junkie to make it big in film or television.

This guy was mainlining heroin for Christ's sake. Whoeveer did not see this coming is either willfully ignorant or naive. Now we are going to hear about the disingeunous tributes and memorials. Makes me sick.
You realize he was in rehab recently. And before that he was clean for 23 years.

Really crazy how many great actors have died because of drugs.

You would think that some of them would have learned a lesson by now.

RIP. Wonder if he finished his scenes for the 3rd movie of the hunger games "mocking jay". Or if they have to recast his role.

RIP. Wonder if he finished his scenes for the 3rd movie of the hunger games "mocking jay". Or if they have to recast his role.
He finished all his scenes for Part 1, only had 7 days left of shooting on Part 2. They're either going to have to write around it or use some CGI tech.

It doesn't matter if you're an actor or not; if you're a father and you're sticking a needle in your arm - the world and your kids are probably better off without you. 

RIP, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Great Actor and Real Scumbag 

The was such a bummer yesterday.  My son is really good friends with his nephew. So while, I have little sympathy for drug abusers (especially one with plenty of resources), I feel for the family.

He should have just stuck with the greenage. Great actor. I heard on the radio (before this happened) that the trouble with heroin is that the amount needed to get high is super close to the overdose level. Too bad he couldn't conquer that demon. I feel for his family and friends. And fans.

I guess in one sense you can call it a disease after you have been abusing it for so long but starting out is ultimately your choice and the only choice that matters.

I've quite smoking and don't drink much, I can understand the stress of addiction but you really have to want to quit imo.

I don't agree with the "it's all will power" line of thought, but there's some new research about how certain drugs that are seen as being highly addictive aren't as bad as previously thought, but cover up some underlying psychological issues that addicts already have. Schizophrenics and people that are bi-polar tend to "self medicate" in some cases, so there's definitely something to this hypothesis. I'm not completely sold on it yet, but you can't deny that there are certain people that are just easily addicted to some things. Hell, people hooked on coffee can be pretty damn mean when they don't get their fix.

I don't agree with the "it's all will power" line of thought, but there's some new research about how certain drugs that are seen as being highly addictive aren't as bad as previously thought, but cover up some underlying psychological issues that addicts already have. Schizophrenics and people that are bi-polar tend to "self medicate" in some cases, so there's definitely something to this hypothesis. I'm not completely sold on it yet, but you can't deny that there are certain people that are just easily addicted to some things. Hell, people hooked on coffee can be pretty damn mean when they don't get their fix.
Yeah you're correct. A large portion of the scientific community no longer believes that there is such thing as an addictive personality (that gets used a lot by people who refuse to take accountability for their actions) however it has been proven that people with certain chemical imbalances are at a much higher risk for being susceptible to various types of addictions... in fact IIRC certain population groups (Native Americans for example) are at a significantly higher risk as a whole to succumb to various types of addiction but it all goes back to chemistry and receptors and neurotransmitters and peoples desire to balance everything out. The debate stems from the question of is it an act of free will to start or are people driven to it by a force beyond their control.

But it's not just drugs... sugar (or the lack thereof in certain people) can create a type of high that leaves people creating certain types of food. That is why we have such a successful fast food industry in America (topic for another day). This fast food companies literally have teams of chemists that mess with ingredients in items like burgers and french fries to find the right combination of chemicals that will leave people craving.... more.

Well, on a lighter note...  I thought his best work was banging Marisa Tomei doggy-style in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead"

most of our addictions don't leave us with a needle in our arm dead in a bathroom doe
Really..wow..No shit...are you sure? I must run into 12 people a day who've found someone dead in the bathroom with a needle....

Really..wow..No shit...are you sure? I must run into 12 people a day who've found someone dead in the bathroom with a needle....
You casually throw out we all have addictions... no shit.

Say idiotic things expect idiotic answers

I'm really shocked heroin has become such an epidemic. It was really pounded into our heads as a death sentence while we were growing up and at age 31 I can definitely see that warning come to fruition. 

As far as PSH, I have to say that I always found his performances to be memorable in any movie I saw him in; the hallmark of a good actor. I'm feeling a loss because I would have liked to have seen what else he could have accomplished. On the other hand, I do not understand the mindset of a parent with young kids that jumps into addictive drugs. There's no way to get behind that at all. For that reason, I don't feel sympathy for him but rather the people in his life that are affected by it.

I thought it was the meth problem, but it was heroin all along for America? Statistics show that it's over 669,000 people addicted to it? Holy crap! We can't even get that many people to buy a niche  video game, and all of them are wasting their lives addicted to drugs.

You casually throw out we all have addictions... no shit.

Say idiotic things expect idiotic answers
It wasn't casual.. it was intended. Addiction is hard-wired into the brain. The vast majority are beneficial to the survival of the species. Some are OBVIOUSLY terrible but the "reward system" is there for all types of things. We have the capacity to inhibit impulses but this too varies base on many factors

It was really a comment to all the judge-y Mcjudges and the der der der types. I feel you man... science is so idiotic

He was an alrite actor at best, but lets set aside his acting career. This guy was for gun control, gun ban ...... but yet he uses drugs. Yep ..... kinda ironic. As more & more celebrities open there fat mouth ... I could care 2 shits about them. Jim Carrey is another one .... yea he had a couple funny movies a loooooong time ago. But now he is all for gun control LOL. Oh & he made Kick Ass 2 .... what an idiot. Who cares about them .... there dumb ass celebrities.    Oh let the bashing begin .... LOL

I don't care about his politics.  

But if you lead with something so foolish, nobody is going to pay attention to the rest of your post.

Gun control guy. No shock by the stupidity of the post.

He was for gun control but did drugs so that's "ironic"?

Since you don't know the difference between there and they're, you shouldn't try to tackle what irony is, cause you missed by a mile.

You shouldn't try to delegitimize an argument because of a grammar mistake. It's the most fickle of ways to try and win an argument. Nonetheless Ninja you're trolling and you might very well get banned.

You shouldn't try to delegitimize an argument because of a grammar mistake. It's the most fickle of ways to try and win an argument. Nonetheless Ninja you're trolling and you might very well get banned.
But equating him doing drugs with his views on gun control and calling it "ironic" isn't pointing out just a grammar mistake, his whole opinion on it is then ruled invalid.

If you wanna say he wants to restrict guns but was doing drugs which is illegal so he's a hypocrite or not a saint so why should we listen to his opinion, then you can give a proper opinion.

All that is good and well but saying a person isn't capable of irony because they don't care enough to make a distinction between they're and their is a logical fallacy. Anyway I'm out.

bread's done
Back