The Shield Complete Series on DVD - $30.99 via Amazon

Damn. Is this a one day deal? I may snag this later this week if it stays that price. I have the first 3 seasons already.
Not sure, I yoinked it from SD.

I have the first two seasons, but I gave up buying the sets after that. Too pricey at the time.

Also: This is the re-issue, not the original (with the long packaging). This one is double spindle book style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would I like this if I detest shows like The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire where there are no real good guys?

Sure, I love Breaking Bad, but that's pretty much the sole exception.

Would I like this if I detest shows like The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire where there are no real good guys?

I wouldn't say there aren't any good guys. Wyms and Dutch are good people throughout the whole series, except for the part where
Dutch kills the cat

It's still $31. Look under the alternative sellers options. I purchased this set a few days back as this deal has been going on for about a week now. Looking forward to watching it. Haven't seen any of it before.

As someone who loves Boardwalk and Sopranos, I can empathize with the notion that some people love seeing heroes and good guys. I tend to have a very broader idea of morality. As for the Shield, I would say that Michael Chiklis did for Detective Vic Mackey what Bryan Cranston did for Walter White as Steve Buscemi did for Nucky Thompson as James Gandolfini did for Tony Soprano. The series stands out for its writing, its stories...but also because the lead actor manages the role in his own special way that makes it enjoyable. It's a cop show, but its got more bad guy elements than good guy elements. You just have to give it a try somewhere and see what you think.

Man that's tempting. Heard a lot of good things about this show. Hopefully it stays at this price for a little longer while I ponder it...

Definitely not. Otherwise, a very good deal for a fantastic show.

What made this show for me was the fact that it had absolutely perfect pacing. It knew how to wrap up threads when they needed to be, and used that one series long thread to perfection. It also had an incredibly satisfying finale that may not be everybody's cup, but much like Breaking Bad didn't leave a bunch of things up in the air and remained true to the characters. FX really knows drama and is one of my 3 go to channels for that genre with AMC and HBO being the other two. The Shield is definitely one of my top 3 or 5 shows ever with maybe my favorite finale.

How is the packaging for the discs?
This is something I hear mixed things on. At launch in 2009, they were cardboard sleeves styled as a book. But each disc was in a thin white paper slip. These discs were subject to scratching, catching adhesive that melted during production and shipping and transportation...but as of late, there's a dual-spindle setup for the discs. The best thing you can do is order the set/buy directly. Get it ASAP, check EVERY disk for scratches/blemishes, and do test runs on each disk. At best, you only need an hour, maybe two at best to check the whole set. If everything is good, then congrats on your working set. If it doesn't, just get a return/exchange. Considering the set's got history of being badly packaged, depending on the vendor, you may be able to get a refund/credit if it gets too tedious.

Damn. My Amazon order hasn't shipped yet but my local Best Buy has it in stock. (I would just cancel the Amazon order, but I did some scheming to get Amazon credit specifically for this set, so it doesn't make sense to now pay cash at Best Buy).
It's going all week at Best Buy. I'm going to buy it tomorrow even though I never saw it before. I have seen Justifed, Sons of Anarchy, a bit of 24...I am sure I'll like it. Right now, working my way through this, then the Wire, then Sopranos...

This is something I hear mixed things on. At launch in 2009, they were cardboard sleeves styled as a book. But each disc was in a thin white paper slip. These discs were subject to scratching, catching adhesive that melted during production and shipping and transportation...but as of late, there's a dual-spindle setup for the discs. The best thing you can do is order the set/buy directly. Get it ASAP, check EVERY disk for scratches/blemishes, and do test runs on each disk. At best, you only need an hour, maybe two at best to check the whole set. If everything is good, then congrats on your working set. If it doesn't, just get a return/exchange. Considering the set's got history of being badly packaged, depending on the vendor, you may be able to get a refund/credit if it gets too tedious.
Which is the reason why I rarely buy complete series sets now-a-days, they are horribly done. I have all of Stargate SG-1, cost $70 because I bought seasons when I could have gotten the whole thing for $50 several times in the horribly packaged complete series set.

Great show and I would be all over this if not for the crappy packaging. I'll stick with the more expensive individual seasons.

I had a chance to look at the Complete Series box. Basically, its a hard cardboard box. Dimensionally, looks likes a real thick hardcover book. I gave it a test 'rattle' and I could hear the discs shifting a little bit, so they do sit snug in the casing. For a dual spindle setup, it does seem a cheap and shoddy way to market the whole series (especially since discs can still spin around a little bit and rub the printed side of the disc below them), but I think the worst one can expect from this new packaging is having to remove a bunch of discs to get the one they need, replace them...as for scratches/blemishes, seems best that anything that happens will happen due to how the discs get made or used. I think that for the price and the number of seasons, it's definitely an investment. Especially since I am a techie and tend to work with spindles AND wallets for disc storage equally.

its this one or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYlgswmRHQE
No, the one I saw at Best Buy is different. It's a smaller case with Vic Mackey on the front cover. About...maybe 4 or 5 inches thick, 10-12 inches high and 5-10 inches wide. I hear that its a pair of spindles inside that hold the disks over top of one another.

mLt542ShDTOSD0tymtOHqoQ.jpg

I have the entire set and absolutely love this series.

I was sold after the pilot. I have yet to experience another show pilot that matches the pilot from The Shield.

Well, the $25 deal for it's live at Best Buy as of this morning, but they only have it available for store pickup. And no stores in my area have it available. FML. Oh, well.

Yeah, seems like almost all "Complete Series" are on sale at Best Buy.  Although most aren't discounted by much, there are a few good deals, The Shield & Rescue Me for $25 each are great deals.  People will just have to look through for shows they like to see.

I saw the pilot of Rescue Me on Netflix back in January or February of 2012 and just this year bought and watched all the seasons.  The first few are best, but it's a wonderful show.  It's a shame network cop/rescue shows are not as great as the cable ones.

Finally finished it and I have to say the ending was complete BULLSHIT.
Let me guess... you liked the Breaking Bad finale?

Because it was mirrored after the Shield finale... only difference is Vic doesn't die but Walter does---although I'm sure Vic feels dead inside; he lost everything.

Let me guess... you liked the Breaking Bad finale?

Because it was mirrored after the Shield finale... only difference is ___ doesn't ___ but ___ does---although I'm sure _____.
Dude, spoilers. Not everyone has seen the BB finale. :roll:

He got sacked into a desk job.
If you think about it, the ending is bittersweet. The man has nothing left. His family is gone, his friends are dead (or jailed). Yes, he has the desk job, but legally it was the only way they could really "imprison" him. They knew keeping him off the streets and as a paper pusher would be straight torture for a man like Vic.

When I originally watched it, I was PISSED. But the more I processed it, the series finale really was an amazing way to end the story they told, while somewhat leaving it open to interpretation as to what he does as it fades to the credits.

Oh I got it...just didnt care for it.
[SIZE=medium]In all sincerity, you are quite literally the first person I’ve met who didn’t love and or appreciate the ending. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Buy hey, you didn’t like it so that's okay too. [/SIZE]

If you think about it, the ending is bittersweet. The man has nothing left. His family is gone, his friends are dead (or jailed). Yes, he has the desk job, but legally it was the only way they could really "imprison" him. They knew keeping him off the streets and as a paper pusher would be straight torture for a man like Vic.

When I originally watched it, I was PISSED. But the more I processed it, the series finale really was an amazing way to end the story they told, while somewhat leaving it open to interpretation as to what he does as it fades to the credits.
[SIZE=medium]There was a very interesting interview with Shawn Ryan where he specifically talked about the ending and the ambiguousness of Vic grabbing his gun as the screen fades. Ryan basically said Vic was the equivalent of a shark, always moving and essentially, a constant predator. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It’s a brilliant ending to a perfect show. [/SIZE]

I think the fact that this show ran concurrently with The Wire is a huge reason why it tends to get overlooked at times. I thought The Wire was a very solid series, but I have to admit I probably enjoyed The Shield more. I know that opinion is just considered straight up wrong by most, but The Shield to me was a series that literally was never bad from start to finish, and I don't think I can say that about anything else that had some longevity.

I think the fact that this show ran concurrently with The Wire is a huge reason why it tends to get overlooked at times. I thought The Wire was a very solid series, but I have to admit I probably enjoyed The Shield more. I know that opinion is just considered straight up wrong by most, but The Shield to me was a series that literally was never bad from start to finish, and I don't think I can say that about anything else that had some longevity.
I have yet to see The Wire...but Vic Mackey's humor was one of the selling points of The Shield. Despite his character, I always found myself laughing at how he could lighten a situation up with his humor.

Actually, both the Wire and The Shield are often mentioned as the best shows on TV and plenty of people prefer The Shield, myself included.

The Wire was a fantastic show but The Shield went into some much darker and unique territory by making an anti-hero the focal point.

I just finished this show last Sunday, and "bittersweet" is the perfect description for this ending.

Great show with a great ending.

Now, to wait for a good price for The Wire or perhaps a blu-ray release.

I just finished this show last Sunday, and "bittersweet" is the perfect description for this ending.

Great show with a great ending.

Now, to wait for a good price for The Wire or perhaps a blu-ray release.
Consensus is "The Wire" will never get a blu-ray release because of how it was filmed (i.e. intentionally grainy).

You should just borrow someone's HBO Go pass (I'm assuming you haven't seen it---if you have and you just want a physical set disregard).

I like both shows equally; I thought The Wire was more realistic and The Shield was more entertaining. Final season/episodes of the The Shield were better but if I could get another season of either show it'd be the Wire.

bread's done
Back