If Sega is making a new console, what would you like to see from it?

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I know the chances are slim that Sega will get back into the console business, but the thought still is exciting.

So, if they do go ahead and make a new console, what features would you like to see in it and what would you keep from the Dreamcast?

VMU
Personally, I think the VMUs were a stroke of genious. I would really like a better screen and have it more powerful. I'd keep it black and white to save on batteries. We all know how awful the battery life was. Wouldn't it be cool if Sega made the new VMU able to play some of the old Master System or Game Gear roms? Maybe a Ereader-type thing.

Backwards compatibility
It would be really nice to have it be able to play Dreamcast games and maybe Saturn games, if it's possible.

Online play
Sega was the first console company to bring gamers fully into online play, and I think it would be fitting for them to bring back Sega.net!

Launch games
Sega had the best launch games of any console, ever. I believe they had 30 games that represented each genre. Sega would HAVE to have another launch just like this.
The games I'd like to see at launch are:
::Sonic (Maybe a 2d version, to get back to its roots, but make it crazy fast and with lots of bright flashes to give tons of seizures.)
::Nights
::Skies of Arcadia 2
::Grandia 3
::A new Shining Force game would rock hard, tasty abs!
::Shinobi
::A Phantasy Star Online Ver. 4 (that would finally make it a true MMORPG)
::Shenmue 3

Well, those are just a few. What other games would you suggest. Also, I know it would be close to impossible for all these games to be launch games. But it would be nice to get quite a few of them and the rest within the first year.

vectorman 3, and a new kid chameleon.

backwards compatability would rule, i wouldnt have to buy a sturn. it would be even cooler if it played sega cd, or even genny games. id preorder it.

I hope that they never make one. Don't get me wrong, they make good stuff, but they couldn't market sex to a nymphomaniac. The dreamcast was great, but they tease up with all this good stuff, and then go belly up because they can't market and sell the thing. So I would rather they stay as third party.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']vectorman 3, and a new kid chameleon.

backwards compatability would rule, i wouldnt have to buy a sturn. it would be even cooler if it played sega cd, or even genny games. id preorder it.[/quote]

if you do buy a Saturn buy a Japanese one. Action Replay is decent, but not as good as hoped

im thinking about that, but can a jap saturn play us games? i asked punqsux, but he didnt know. im not much of an importer, so id rather be able to play domestics. havng the ability to import would be nice though.

[quote name='vrs1650']I hope that they never make one. Don't get me wrong, they make good stuff, but they couldn't market sex to a nymphomaniac. The dreamcast was great, but they tease up with all this good stuff, and then go belly up because they can't market and sell the thing. So I would rather they stay as third party.[/quote]

Look, I'd really appreciate if this thread stayed on topic. Everyone has heard everyone's theory on why Sega should stay a third party, so please don't post anything like that here.

This thread is about, WHAT IF Sega got back into the console business, not post your thoughts on why they shouldn't. So please guys, can't we stay on topic?

I like your VMU idea.... But I think it should be in color and come bundled with system. It should also have a rechargeble battery so battery life wouldn't really be a problem. As for backwards compatability they should allow for dreamcast and thier other cd format consoles. Also it would be great if they made it so you could play genesis games which you burn onto a cd.

[quote name='thecolonel2323']Also it would be great if they made it so you could play genesis games which you burn onto a cd.[/quote]

Maybe they could just come out with a kickass two or three-disc set of Genesis games. Think about it, they could charge like $30-$40 and you get the entire Genesis library on a few discs. If they came out with a kick-ass collectors set that included a nice magazine with the history of the Genesis and interview some of the prominant people of the day, maybe a retro-Genesis controller that would work with the new system and a DVD that had all the old Genesis commercials, that would be killer. I would gladly pay even $50 for something like that.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='thecolonel2323']Also it would be great if they made it so you could play genesis games which you burn onto a cd.[/quote]

Maybe they could just come out with a kickass two or three-disc set of Genesis games. Think about it, they could charge like $30-$40 and you get the entire Genesis library on a few discs. If they came out with a kick-ass collectors set that included a nice magazine with the history of the Genesis and interview some of the prominant people of the day, maybe a retro-Genesis controller that would work with the new system and a DVD that had all the old Genesis commercials, that would be killer. I would gladly pay even $50 for something like that.[/quote]

:shock: id pay a hundred. that would be the coolest thing EVER! it would be even cooler if the discs were packages in one of the hrad platic shells. those were the days.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']
Maybe they could just come out with a kickass two or three-disc set of Genesis games. Think about it, they could charge like $30-$40 and you get the entire Genesis library on a few discs. If they came out with a kick-ass collectors set that included a nice magazine with the history of the Genesis and interview some of the prominant people of the day, maybe a retro-Genesis controller that would work with the new system and a DVD that had all the old Genesis commercials, that would be killer. I would gladly pay even $50 for something like that.[/quote]

I love your idea and I have thought how great it would be for game companies to do this. The only problem is that Sega and other such companies don't own the rights to all of the games on thier systems and the amount of money it would cost to pool all of the games from even "ancient" systems would be extraordinary. I would still love it if sega would release a collection of all the genesis games they do own the rights to.

Yeah, that is true. I didn't even think of that. Well, I guess they could do one of all the games they developed and published. That would still be pretty cool, but they couldn't charge more than $30, even with all the packaged goodies. If I were them, I would do that and only release a few thousand copies. That way, it would be a real collector's item.

Or they could release all of their own Master System, Genesis and Game Gear games as a whole collection. Now that would own. It would also be awesome if you could download one game at a time to the new and improved VMU and play it on the go, then save it and load it back into the console and keep goin!

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'] :shock: id pay a hundred. that would be the coolest thing EVER! it would be even cooler if the discs were packages in one of the hrad platic shells. those were the days.[/quote]

That would be really cool. I think we're on to something here. Only if game companies listened more to their fans.

What they could do is have the built in emulator with the system and bundle it with the cd/dvd of the old games they own the rights to and kind of "accidentaly" make it possible to play the burned roms.

Nintendo and Sega really need to take advantge of their massive game libraries they are possibly one of thier last adavntages.

[quote name='thecolonel2323']What they could do is have the built in emulator with the system and bundle it with the cd/dvd of the old games they own the rights to and kind of "accidentaly" make it possible to play the burned roms.

Nintendo and Sega really need to take advantge of their massive game libraries they are possibly one of thier last adavntages.[/quote]

Your saying they haven't??? Ever here of the gba its a tiny snes and soon to be a tiny nes. What about the sega smash packs, sega arcade, and sega ages. It would be stupid to relese all they own at once but its sounds like something sega would do lol.

For the console id like built in wifi.

[quote name='BULL_Ship']Your saying they haven't??? Ever here of the gba its a tiny snes and soon to be a tiny nes. What about the sega smash packs, sega arcade, and sega ages. It would be stupid to relese all they own at once but its sounds like something sega would do lol. [/quote]

I think Nintendo is ripping people off by repacking old games and selling them for $20-$30. The right thing to do would be to bundle their games, just like Sega did.

I'd really like to see them expand on the VMU concept. And I know this is pretty impossible, but make it able to play burned games again :D .

Integrated wireless for controllers and multiplayer. It would be cool if they also had an adapter so multiple tv's could display the same game. so each multiplayer could have their own screen.

Some way to have your own wireless lan party if you have multiple consoles.

I would buy one just because I know that CAPCOM and SNK will throw their wieght behind it.

The only thing I want is for it to load as fast as DC games did

[quote name='BULL_Ship']
Your saying they haven't??? Ever here of the gba its a tiny snes and soon to be a tiny nes. What about the sega smash packs, sega arcade, and sega ages. It would be stupid to relese all they own at once but its sounds like something sega would do lol.

For the console id like built in wifi.[/quote]

-It would not be stupid to release a massive amount of old games for a new console. They are already available at rather low prices but the GBA remakes still sell well.

-The sega smash pack was cool but not enough. If they had released any more volumes it would have been better.

-People already have emulators to run old games on consoles so why not make money off of it?

-Bundling 50+ of these games with the console would give consumers a reason to buy a non-playstation/xbox.

-Built in wifi would suck not to many people would use it and it would just raise the cost.

bread's done
Back