Is it worth buying the new Roku 3?

grpcop214

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
I am looking into buying a Roku system to watch my ultraviolet collection on VUDU. I was wondering if anyone who has had one of these systems could give me some insight to which one I should maybe purchase and share their experience, thanks much!

I have the Roku hd. its only 40 bucks if you can find one and you get everything the 3 has except the motion. For 60 bucks less than the 3 I can live without motion. they have been discontinued so they are kind of hard to find. My local Walmart has a bunch I would check yours if you think the HD would work for you

Ok, because I was looking into the Roku 3 and it just seemed a bit expensive for only one more benefit over all the other models. I would only be using my Roku to use netflix and watch my pursonal UV collection. Do you happen to know which model is just a step below the new Roku 3? Would it be the 2XD? I was able to find some pretty good priced ones on eBay, may make my purchase through there.

The Internet is your friend:

http://www.roku.com/products/compare

Main differences between Roku 3 ($100) and Roku 2 ($80):

1) Roku 3 won't do composite for non-HDTVs, it only works with a HDTV.  Roku 2 will work with any TV.

2) Roku 3's CPU is 5x faster than the one in the Roku 2.

3) Roku 3 can do YouTube at this time, as well as updated Netflix.  YouTube client is coming in the future for the Roku 2.

4) Roku comes with an Ethernet port, a USB port and a microSD card slot.  MicroSD slot is used for additional device storage for channels and apps, USB port is for accessing content via USB.  Ethernet is obvious.  Roku 2 is lacking those items.

5) Roku 3 comes with the motion remote, Roku 2 doesn't.

6) Roku 2 has channel shortcut buttons (Netflix, etc.) on its remote, Roku 3's remote doesn't.

Main difference between Roku 2 ($80) and Roku 1 ($50, down from $60):

1) Roku 2 has the headset remote, Roku 1 does not.

2) Roku 2 has dual-band wireless (2.4Ghz + 5Ghz), Roku 1 only is single band (2.4Ghz).

If you only have 2.4Ghz wireless and don't need the headset remote, Roku 1 works just as good as the Roku 2 and you could save the $20 difference.

Roku 3 does have a lot of additional features over the Roku 2, and for me, I went with the Roku 3 as more future-proofing for long-term use.  I did get Best Buy to match Sam's Club on a Roku 3 price of $67.71, which was the cheaper price between my local stores, with other Sam's Clubs stores having the Roku 3 at $75.

If you have a Sam's Club local to you, you might want to check one of those, as the Roku 3 bundle at Sam's Club comes with a HDMI cable as well as a 1 month subscription to Hulu Plus.

The Internet is your friend:

http://www.roku.com/products/compare

Main differences between Roku 3 ($100) and Roku 2 ($80):

1) Roku 3 won't do composite for non-HDTVs, it only works with a HDTV. Roku 2 will work with any TV.

2) Roku 3's CPU is 5x faster than the one in the Roku 2.

3) Roku 3 can do YouTube at this time, as well as updated Netflix. YouTube client is coming in the future for the Roku 2.

4) Roku comes with an Ethernet port, a USB port and a microSD card slot. MicroSD slot is used for additional device storage for channels and apps, USB port is for accessing content via USB. Ethernet is obvious. Roku 2 is lacking those items.

5) Roku 3 comes with the motion remote, Roku 2 doesn't.

6) Roku 2 has channel shortcut buttons (Netflix, etc.) on its remote, Roku 3's remote doesn't.

Main difference between Roku 2 ($80) and Roku 1 ($50, down from $60):

1) Roku 2 has the headset remote, Roku 1 does not.

2) Roku 2 has dual-band wireless (2.4Ghz + 5Ghz), Roku 1 only is single band (2.4Ghz).

If you only have 2.4Ghz wireless and don't need the headset remote, Roku 1 works just as good as the Roku 2 and you could save the $20 difference.

Roku 3 does have a lot of additional features over the Roku 2, and for me, I went with the Roku 3 as more future-proofing for long-term use. I did get Best Buy to match Sam's Club on a Roku 3 price of $67.71, which was the cheaper price between my local stores, with other Sam's Clubs stores having the Roku 3 at $75.

If you have a Sam's Club local to you, you might want to check one of those, as the Roku 3 bundle at Sam's Club comes with a HDMI cable as well as a 1 month subscription to Hulu Plus.
Awesome, this helps so much. Thank you very much for all the help guys! I just recently joined CAG, it is so resourceful and I truly enjoy interacting with this friendly community. I have found myself on this site more often than not now, it's so addicting!

Awesome, this helps so much. Thank you very much for all the help guys! I just recently joined CAG, it is so resourceful and I truly enjoy interacting with this friendly community. I have found myself on this site more often than not now, it's so addicting!
Happy to help.

bread's done
Back