* * * * - 10 votes

GamersGate Thread: (Moved to the Steam+ Deals Thread)

Glitch PC Oops

#1861 Waggles   What the funk n waggle you talkin' bout? CAGiversary!   4205 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

The combat in Alan Wake was what I disliked about it most.

Every time I try to replay it, the combat completely kills the experience for me after about an hour. Without the driving force of the story behind it, I have a much harder time enjoying the game. Same with the original Bioshock.  It's also the reason I've neglected the DLC and American Nightmare.

#1862 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

Every time I try to replay it, the combat completely kills the experience for me after about an hour. Without the driving force of the story behind it, I have a much harder time enjoying the game. Same with the original Bioshock.  It's also the reason I've neglected the DLC and American Nightmare.

American Nightmare actually improves on the shooting a good bit, as well as the encounter designs. I've enjoyed what I've played of it a lot more than the original game, surprisingly, I'd recommend trying it out.

#1863 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10303 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

By guns, do you mean flashlights?

The flashlight bit was annoying but you still got to pop caps in mofos.

#1864 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zomderp Army 2

#1865 BobbyTastic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8332 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

BobbyTastic

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:19 AM

Even Alan Wake had satisfying gun play... it's just the rest of it sucked.

Rebellion did Alan Wake? I thought that was Remedy (of Max Payne fame).

#1866 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10303 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

I stand corrected.

#1867 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5632 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

I did enjoy parts of AW, but I was so disappointed with the way the game dragged on, the repetitiveness of lighting up the same-looking guys over and over, and the way the ending got so silly, that I promptly uninstalled it once I was done. I have yet to touch American Nightmare and I'm not even sure a rodent-recommendation would pursuade me to give it another go.

#1868 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8446 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

Rebellion games have great shooter physics.  It's just too bad they wasted it on Alan Wake.

Even Alan Wake had satisfying gun play... it's just the rest of it sucked.

the actual gameplay of alan wake was absolutely horrid. it was a stuggle getting through that game

#1869 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8748 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

How did you guys play it, with a keyboard and mouse or gamepad?

#1870 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10303 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Is this the Cowboom thread?  Must you even ask?

#1871 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24036 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

KB/mouse, since it involved mouse-looking and shooting. I'm much better at that style for a shooter w/ KB/mouse, as opposed to a gamepad. Plus, gamepad's analog sticks are often more flimsy-feeling and a bit much clunkier than a mouse, when aiming.

I just wasn't fond of Run and Dodge commands being stuck on the same key - which initially kept me from going much of anywhere in the game. I really don't like when HOLDS + TAPS doing different things on a KB/mouse. That works better normally in a gamepad atmosphere, since there's way less keys at your fingertips. That's more of a console design around a gamepad, as opposed to a PC-style KB/mouse design.

For me, a lot of times - I'd only want to do a short run (I'm used to holding keys to run, not doing a toggle), and Alan do a dodge - and that'd cause me to get hurt...and eventually get killed.

#1872 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10386 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Both for me, since I played it on PS3 and PC. While I apparently enjoyed the game more than others here, I will agree, the combat was not it's strong suit. But since I like The Outer Limits/Twin Peaks style writing, I thought story was enjoyable enough to carry the game and make me want to continue. That said, I also have not touched American Nightmare.

#1873 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10386 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Daily Deals
75% off Killing Floor (Steam) - $4.49
75% off Killing Floor 6-Pack (Steam) - $22.44
75% off Killing Floor - Ash Harding Character Pack (Steam) - $1.00

#1874 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8446 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

Both for me, since I played it on PS3 and PC. While I apparently enjoyed the game more than others here, I will agree, the combat was not it's strong suit. But since I like The Outer Limits/Twin Peaks style writing, I thought story was enjoyable enough to carry the game and make me want to continue. That said, I also have not touched American Nightmare.

I thought the story was great. I'm a sucker for Stephen King type stuff, so this was right up my alley...but the combat became so repetitive, and the flashlight thing made it so tedious, that it became such a huge pain in the ass and ruined my enjoyment.

#1875 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

I play everything I can with a controller. I guess I belong in the Cowboom thread.

#1876 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Some games just work better with a controller, despite what kb/mouse purists will say (platformers and third person action games for starters). Usually I'll opt for a controller just for comfort though, as I'd rather play sitting on the couch than a computer chair.

#1877 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8748 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

Some games just work better with a controller, despite what kb/mouse purists will say (platformers and third person action games for starters). Usually I'll opt for a controller just for comfort though, as I'd rather play sitting on the couch than a computer chair.

Agreed. I've been playing Dark Souls and the controls, especially attacking, would probably be a pain in the ass with a keyboard for me. I still get confused sometimes and try to attack with A, but that's more habit than anything, haha.

And I can't imagine playing Alan Wake with a pad. I suck at games where you have to aim guns with dual sticks.

#1878 zenii   cynical sam CAGiversary!   1268 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

I like using the gamepad a lot too but for anything that requires precision aiming (aka shooting) I prefer m+kb.

#1879 sunasun   "The Burger King" CAGiversary!   4635 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

We need more robust fleshlight control laws.

moonshine + cag = 400% funnier posts

#1880 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8920 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

Agreed. I've been playing Dark Souls and the controls, especially attacking, would probably be a pain in the ass with a keyboard for me. I still get confused sometimes and try to attack with A, but that's more habit than anything, haha.

And I can't imagine playing Alan Wake with a pad. I suck at games where you have to aim guns with dual sticks.

Dark Souls is meant to be played with a controller. You CAN play it with kb/m, but it's pretty terrible, I've tried myself.

I play all racing, fighting, and platforming games with a controller. Some twin stick shooters are better with... twin sticks, so I've done that. Third person ARPGs like Dark Souls vary. Like with Dark Souls, totally better with a controller. Divinity 2? You need to use kb/m.

Shooters, turn based stuff, strategy, flying, just about everything else, kb/m is just superior.

#1881 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

I confess I played Journey of a Roach with a controller. I was kind of shocked that was even an option.

#1882 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10386 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Daily Deals
75% off The Cave (Steam) - $3.75

Weekly, Midweek and Weekend Deals
(End 7/17)

Up to 75% off Daedalic games:
75% off 1954 Alcatraz (Steam) - $5.00
66% off Blackguards (Steam) - $13.60
66% off Blackguards Deluxe Edition (Steam) - $20.40
75% off Deponia (DRM Free) - $5.00
66% off Deponia 2: Chaos on Deponia (DRM Free) - $6.78
75% off Gomo (DRM Free) - $2.00
75% off Goodbye Deponia (DRM Free) - $5.00
75% off Journey of a Roach (DRM Free) - $3.00

75% off Nordic games and DLC

80% off Sanctum games and DLC

#1883 Tomasety   LatinLover CAGiversary!   2106 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Tomasety

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Some Nordic games like Deadfall Adventures are at 89% off In Putin's House.

#1884 Drabelincoln   Do Not + Will Not CAGiversary!   6735 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Drabelincoln

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Some Nordic games like Deadfall Adventures are at 89% off In Putin's House.

Hmm sounds like I may need to travel to siberia tonight.

#1885 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

I noticed that too. I like Deadfall Adventures. It's like a cheesy Indiana Jones-y adventure game but actually looks halfway decent and you can run around in 3D so it's not so old school point and click. There's some gun play but it's not the main focus so it's not a total FPS. More like solving puzzles in tombs and such.

Oh and the Digital Deluxe is meh so I wouldn't worry about it unless you are one of those soundtrack people. Just a different pistol that functions the same but looks different in terms of what DLC you get.

#1886 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10386 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

Deadfall is going to be bundled, right?  I mean it's Nordic, so it's like a requirement.  I'm just trying to find something to use my discount on.

#1887 Drabelincoln   Do Not + Will Not CAGiversary!   6735 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Drabelincoln

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Deadfall is going to be bundled, right?  I mean it's Nordic, so it's like a requirement.  I'm just trying to find something to use my discount on.

i got Deadfall and 1954 alcatraz  for 6.60 with coupon while visiting moscow

#1888 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

I kind of want 1954 but I don't know that I $3.75 want it, though I might have bought it for $3 if someone told me he was going to use his coupon and asked if I wanted him to pick up an extra copy for me. :-P ;)

Probably just as well though. I'm sure it will get bundled sooner or later.

#1889 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10704 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

Blackguards is a couple bucks cheaper in the Land of the Mother Bear as well (77% off) but I wasn't impressed enough by the reviews to bite.  My coupon expires on August 3rd so I'm sitting tight for now.

#1890 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10386 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

I thought I had 1954 Alcatraz, but I was thinking of 1953 KGB Unleashed.  

Close.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glitch, PC, Oops