Bill Nye: "Do you believe in God?"

UncleBob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
He believes teaching creationism to children is child abuse. Like somehow religion and science work in such contrast even though scientists now claim they can see God's work in the math and physics that make up our universe. It takes an ass to reduce religion to child abuse and to not acknowledge it's elevation of mankind. The religiously founded concept of morality that separates apes from man for example.

There's a common thread with all these champions of science. They have the good sense to say that they don't know. Then continue to bash religion but yet their work will never be as profound as the complexities of a cell. Or the first cell. Or the fine tuned constant of gravity. If it took knowledge for Mr. Nye to extract information out of the universe - it took knowledge to put it there. And 97% of our DNA is chimpanzee?

The arguments for teaching creationism in schools have been routinely crushed in this country for a long time now. Those beliefs do not "elevate" mankind, and have more often than not proven to be an obstacle for science. Do what you want with your own kid, but you can't teach supernatural nonsense in school. It's not out of line to call it abuse, either. 

And religion is in no way the basis of morality. But I'm not sure if your post was satire or not so I'll stop before I make a fool of myself.

What I don't understand is why the arguments always devolve into "believing in God" = "you teach/believe Creationism". I think that's a cop-out for scientists who don't want to ponder or debate the issue seriously (the issue of God, not Creationism). There's so much they don't know, but rather than admit there might be a Creator at the very beginning of it all it's just easier to say "Creationism is dumb. " No one can still say where all of the "stuff" came from that started it all. We should not explain everything we don't understand as "magic from God" and therefore stop looking. But that's what scientists always try to portray the other side as believing because it's easy... but in reality it's just as lazy for scientists to dismiss the possibility of God as it is for believers to claim everything we don't understand is God's magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't understand is why the arguments always devolve into "believing in God" = "you teach/believe Creationism". I think that's a cop-out for scientists who don't want to ponder or debate the issue seriously (the issue of God, not Creationism). There's so much they don't know, but rather than admit there might be a Creator at the very beginning of it all it's just easier to say "Creationism is dumb. " No one can still say where all of the "stuff" came from that started it all. We should not explain everything we don't understand as "magic from God" and therefore stop looking. But that's what scientists always try to portray the other side as believing because it's easy... but in reality it's just as lazy for scientists to dismiss the possibility of God as it is for believers to claim everything we don't understand is God's magic.
There's an infinite number of possibilities we haven't looked into. Maybe the world we know is just a dream that some super alien is having in another solar system. You have to admit that might be true. If you grilled any scientist on propositions like that, they'd have to concede that it may be true. But you have zero evidence, and you're claiming something extraordinary as a fact or, at the very least, an extreme likelihood.

So of course people will dismiss your claim, and how could you call them lazy for it? They have enormous amounts of tangible evidence to work through and have drawn up amazing theories backed by facts, and you want them to respect religious beliefs in the same manner?

c5rDrOt.jpg

Not in schools. He believes teaching or straight up introducing the idea of God to your own child is child abuse.

Not in schools. He believes teaching or straight up introducing the idea of God to your own child is child abuse.
Harsh, but I like it.

Also, if you're going to indoctrinate your child, you could at least give him the selection of other religions, too. See what happens. Pretty sure a 5 year could call bullshit at that point.

There's an infinite number of possibilities we haven't looked into. Maybe the world we know is just a dream that some super alien is having in another solar system. You have to admit that might be true. If you grilled any scientist on propositions like that, they'd have to concede that it may be true. But you have zero evidence, and you're claiming something extraordinary as a fact or, at the very least, an extreme likelihood.

So of course people will dismiss your claim, and how could you call them lazy for it? They have enormous amounts of tangible evidence to work through and have drawn up amazing theories backed by facts, and you want them to respect religious beliefs in the same manner?
I'm not claiming anything. I'm calling them lazy for jumping to God=Creationism. It's funny that you say scientists will concede that "super alien" might be true, but I'm not sure you are paying attention if you haven't heard how quickly most of them dismiss "God" as a possibility for anything... lol (Furthermore, I am very much intrigued by facts and theories... I just keep wanting to know the next part and the next part. I think you are assuming science and God are incompatible... I am not.)

I need a citation or a quote that isn't from a creationist website.
"In the video he tells adults they can dismiss evolution, "but don't make your kids do it. Because we need them."

He's saying for science to continue to advance we need to accept his scale of evolution.

Harsh, but I like it.

Also, if you're going to indoctrinate your child, you could at least give him the selection of other religions, too. See what happens. Pretty sure a 5 year could call bullshit at that point.
I guess you could tell him or her of when jesus spoke about to be aware of false prophets. Especially the one's involving pedophiles and crashing planes into buildings.

Why should anything that is not proven beyond reproach be taught in public schools? fuck theories, we have seniors who can barely read, write, and perform advanced mathematics graduating. Creationism is faith, and faith should not be taught. It should be experienced. God healed my mom of MS. She had lesions in her brain that are now miraculously gone. That is why I have faith and believe. My problem is when scientific theories are presented as fact, lacking the "based on our current findings, this is our most probable conclusion" disclaimer. Good science is always changing, is not close minded, and does not have to be in opposition to religion.

I watched Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk to Bill Moyers about the new Cosmos show and he brought up the point that you can't put all of your faith in something because something else is going to obliterate it. Scientists are constantly finding their theories challenged with each new discovery and they can't afford to cling on to their ideas like how fundamentalists cling on to their idea that the Earth is 6000 years old. You will have to keep an open mind, even if a part of you still believes in something.

It's just awful that states are determined to make our children stupider by forcing creationism down their throats for their own political means. If they wanted their children to learn all about how God created everything, that's what Sunday School is for. Regular schooling is about learning history, math, science, literature, things that are more than just one book full of scriptures.  We humans are capable of creating worlds and discovering new ones, and we shouldn't deny our own children that simply because of some stubborn gits.

And then there's this: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jazBjrI8ZFm0e4fMwCtO_2WEbI3w?docId=a31a943f-befb-4a3d-8de7-cce861b955fd&hl=en

Neal deGrasse Tyson also said something else. No conservative is anti-science because no conservative wants to die poor. The political posturing is just that. All politicians say populist shit to get votes. All the legal avenues to introduce creationism in public schools are closed off. Federal courts correctly recognize that creationism is not science and does not belong in a science classroom.

I don't get why this is still an issue.

It's on YouTube. Search for neal degrasse tyson bush. It's titled Who's more pro science, republicans or democrats or something along those lines. You'll find it. It's the first hit.

If you don't want to hear Neil deGrasse Tyson speak, that's your loss, not mine.

I spelled his first name wrong earlier, probably because I was also watching a lot of Patrice O'*Neal* today.

Please don't misrepresent what I said. I said absolutely nothing about wanting to hear Tyson. I said I'm unwilling to do the labor for both sides of the argument. That's not my loss; my loss would be to do your heavy lifting while you take credit for sculpting something intellectual.

A Google search is heavy lifting.

Do they or do they not want you to cite your sources? You can't win for trying these days, I guess.

Man, things were going real nice around here... looks like we're back to the one-liners and personal attacks instead of actual, meaningful conversation.

It's clear he believes all religion of any kind should not be taught and passed on to future generations. I can't make him believe science and religion actually work in perfect harmony. Like I believe when Jesus spoke of the people (scientists) who should not stop seeking until they understand. But when they understand they will be disturbed - and they will finally marvel.

It's incredibly dangerous thinking. He's erroneously using the logical nature of science to swiftly dismiss religion. If the roles were reversed, surely in any other walk of life you would not want beliefs pushed onto you or your children. We're not talking about the earth is round science here we're talking about the the divine hand of a master craftsmen, physicist and mathematician. The cause when everything else is seemingly with cause.

It's clear he believes all religion of any kind should not be taught and passed on to future generations.
Bill Nye believes this? Citation needed.

I can't make him believe science and religion actually work in perfect harmony.
Where is the harmony between the worldview of Creationists and those who believe in the scientific theory of evolution?

Bill Nye believes this? Citation needed.

Where is the harmony between the worldview of Creationists and those who believe in the scientific theory of evolution?
Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children In the video he goes on to specifically attack young earth creationism and the notion of the age of the universe. Positing grand scale evolution as the explanation of everything around us. And that the world becomes so profoundly hard to understand when you don't accept the scientific age of the universe. I know what he feels, and he practically says as much. And these beliefs in the supernatural are foolish.

You can believe in a small scale evolution that could have taken 6000 or billions of years without believing apes became man. But he insists on saying we MUST believe in a full scale evolution and it be over billions of years.

Saying "Young Earth Creationism is stupid." is a whole lot different than saying "All religion is bad." Like, those two things aren't even in the same ball park.

He believes teaching creationism to children is child abuse. Like somehow religion and science work in such contrast even though scientists now claim they can see God's work in the math and physics that make up our universe. It takes an ass to reduce religion to child abuse and to not acknowledge it's elevation of mankind. The religiously founded concept of morality that separates apes from man for example.

There's a common thread with all these champions of science. They have the good sense to say that they don't know. Then continue to bash religion but yet their work will never be as profound as the complexities of a cell. Or the first cell. Or the fine tuned constant of gravity. If it took knowledge for Mr. Nye to extract information out of the universe - it took knowledge to put it there. And 97% of our DNA is chimpanzee?
I hope your claim of religion founding morality is a joke. You don't need religion to create one's morality or the idea of God for that matter(see: Confucianism).

As far as Creationism is concerned, it's clearly religion masquerading as Science and Christianity at that. Do you ever hear of Creationism taught in India or China or any other predominantly non-Christian country? I rest my case.

As far as Science itself goes I think most people in here make the point quite well so I don't really need to go into it.

When I finally have a kid I will tell them my belief and make it clear to my child that it's my belief, not a fact. I'll explain to them why I believe this then leave them to make their choice.

bread's done
Back