Bought a "Brand new unopened" GC but the date has been set...

Smashingly

CAGiversary!
I hope this is the right place for this. I bought a GC on Ebay that was marked unopened, but the date and time appears to have been set at some point (The GC thinks its april 2012 apparently!). The Gamecube looks nearly perfect. A few hairline cracks in the usual areas, but no apparent dust or scratches, discoloring or anything like that.

I guess my question is, would you accept this for $250? The seller was dishonest about the condition of the box, and now it appears it HAS been opened at least once. I don't know. It seems to be in great shape but I don't like being lied to, and I definitely thought I was buying an unopened machine. I will probably return it I guess but once again I'm left with the postage bill for that.

You don't have to pay return shipping if you win an SNAD case.
Oh thanks, wasn't aware of that. I guess I've only paid when the seller agreed to a return. It's been a long time since I returned anything tbh.

Still not sure what to do. I guess the price is good for a seemingly unused console (I'm guessing the time was set while testing it, it looks too good to have been sitting unboxed anywhere). I'll probably just leave a neutral and mention that the seller is dishonest. There is a huge hole in the box that he called a coin sized "tear" and failed to include in any pictures. I'm not too worried but I hate to reward dishonesty, and I'd certainly say the bid wouldn't have reached as high had the seller been honest.

Ehh, that's what they all want. If they don't want bad feedback, they can refrain from lying the first time around. I'm sure he'd give me a few bucks to forget about it, but I'm not hurting for money and I don't feel the need to return it. I'd much rather warn future shoppers that he's blatantly dishonest.

Lol, what? Because I didn't take your advice on contacting the seller? That's a random ass thing to be upset about.
I honestly couldn't care less what you do. You asked for opinions and I gave you one. If you want to keep it and leave the seller negative then more power to you. You were already told you wouldn't have to pay return shipping to send it back. Just sounds like you had already planned on keeping it before you started the thread.

There's no way I'd keep it if it wasn't new, not for the amount you paid. You could get your money back and buy an actual new console. Plus, I don't think someone selling used as new should be let off the hook.

I know you say you don't care about the money, but since you seem intent on keeping it, there is no reason why you can't put him in the position to give you a discount for false advertising / lack of attention to detail.

I've bought some "brand new" items on eBay that were clearly had manufacturer's / user defects and someone was trying to pass them off at full price (with no mention of the blemishes).  These things were in the range of $200 or more, and I just wrote a kind message mentioning the issues, and seeing if they can offer a discount due to the condition.  Most sellers just want the transaction to go smoothly, and they were more than happy to offer a significant discount.  In the end I've left good feedback because they were willing to own up to their mistakes.

If you are trying to make an example of them with a neutral / negative feedback, to help warn other buyers, consider that this time was just an honest mistake (he could of originally bought it from someone else who told him the same thing).  He might of thought the tear was not that big of a deal, but he's not a collector obviously, can't fault him completely for not sharing the same mindset (but you can for not taking a picture, takes all of but 5 minutes).

How he handles your complaint is much more indicative of what kind of feedback he deserves, and if he's a jerk about the process, then you have full right to leave whatever feedback you want.  All just IMO, of course.

bread's done
Back