Need Help Buying A Video Card

Sean Price

CAG Newbie
Greetings All,

After being PC-less at home for I can't even say how long I unearthed some ill-Gotten goods.. But they is so old and therefore I'm looking to do a bit of a refresh on em..

They are HP SFF computers.. 2 dc7700's and 2 dc7800's, they are all rocking on Windows XP SP3 with 1gb of RAM.
(http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=3459241&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%3Demr_na-c01163881-49%7CdocLocale%3D%7CcalledBy%3D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken)

Specs on the dc7800 are as follows:(copied from BIOS)

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @2.33GHz
Process Speed: 2333/1333

Directron.com is a good place to check. Are you just using this for an internet box, or you plan on gaming on it? No newer games will run well on it, even with the GPU you want, unfortunately. You will need the 64-bit OS (and you will DEFINITELY need more RAM than 1GB. The 64bit OS allows more than the 4GB limit on a 32bit OS. XP uses 1GB, 7 uses 2GB for the OS alone). The 1333 is th front side bus speed. If these have been sitting for a while, you will probably want to invest in a new HDD, as they may have bad sectors from sitting up so long. I ha some DDR2 RAM, but I gave it all away :(. Check the trade forums here for some, as I know I saw CAG's listing older PC parts not long ago. Sorry I don't have more time to help, but I'll check back. Best of luck.

BTW, this CAG has Windows 7 Pro (can get 64bit) for ~$39. I bought one and he is legit. Just a thought.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/327458-h-windows-8-pro-windows-7-pro-office-visual-studio-ms-project-windows-servers-etc-w-2599-etc-paypal/#entry11547375

Last edited by a moderator:
That CAG is about as legit as a 3-dollar bill. The license keys may appear to be legit, though he's either selling keys from a Technet account or that he's finding illegally-generated keys on the Internet. There's no way he could be making any money on those if his initial buy-in wasn't close to zero.

Plenty of legit places to get Windows 7 Pro out there, though not for those prices.

That CAG is about as legit as a 3-dollar bill. The license keys may appear to be legit, though he's either selling keys from a Technet account or that he's finding illegally-generated keys on the Internet. There's no way he could be making any money on those if his initial buy-in wasn't close to zero.

Plenty of legit places to get Windows 7 Pro out there, though not for those prices.
When I say legit, I mean you pay for a key, you get a key, the key works for the intended purpose. That's legit. When someone is digging up old rigs to use, they aren't looking to spend $125 on a key. You may have have my words confused & think I meant lawful in the U.S.?

bread's done
Back