* * * * * 3 votes

Marvel Puzzle Quest Discussion Thread

Marvel Puzzle Quest Android Dark Reign F2P

#4501 WutDaHenk   War Eagle! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

random star trek meme that gives broly a chubby.

Yeah it took a magic neverending cascade which gave me enough reds to make Deadpool go slice slice on every enemy 3 times where Im like huh, this works.  So now I see I can use it to whittle down level 300 Ares.

not sure what to do with this  PVP event   1am or 4am. Thinking of getting up at  230 am and joining a bracket but this is the last slice meaning  major players are going to be in the bracket.  ALSO you said  how many are going to start a new bracket at 2am. Bad thing about this if the brackets are 1000 players   the brackets stay open till filled right  (meaning the last bracket might have 995 people in  it and you would get screwed coing in late) 

so far tried it twice  (last 3 or 4 hours )   sunday got top 100 got  S.girl cover maybe noone wanted.  weds got  185th  got  2nd level

The issue is NOT starting out so late.  The closer you are to an end time the less likely there are people in said bracket to compete with.  This is usually the technique Broly uses to get the top tier rewards in pvp.  The bracket Im looking at closes at 3am CST. For me Im pretty consistent with getting at least top 100 when playing a straight hour before the tournament closes.  The last time I tried the 3am close time & there were only 27 people in my bracket, so I didnt even get the 1000.

You also have to take into consideration the PVE thats currently going on.  For some reason last PVE was s struggle, 8 hour refreshes and a prize many veterans already had.  There was no reason the focus was on the PVE but it was. So the pvp portion was more relaxed.  Same with this pve, for a new 4*, people should be more focused on that than pvp.

Even if players across the pond are jumping into PVP at 3-4am, just estimating a 12 hour time lapse, most would be more likely to be at work or school themselves. Which should also mean less competition. 

I just stick to my guns and play the last hour of PVP straight until its over.  I will never again try the first slice end time.  So this will be an experiment taking the last slice end time.  Also the last factor I have in attempting this last time slice is that the competitive PVP players should have already entered to get a more lucrative slice earlier. Start the tournament earlier, get the rewards earlier.  All this is speculative and just how it should work.  I may just strike out tonight and be in the top 400 and get some standard tokens.

#4502 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1705 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

New update for iOS, it actually shows which goons are generating which AP each turn.  Don't know if I like the look of it, but I guess it's useful information.

#4503 WutDaHenk   War Eagle! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

New update for iOS, it actually shows which goons are generating which AP each turn. Don't know if I like the look of it, but I guess it's useful information.

If you're crazy enough to do the update. Hold off if you can, seems they may actually take feedback & hopefully give us a good update.

#4504 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1705 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

If you're crazy enough to do the update. Hold off if you can, seems they may actually take feedback & hopefully give us a good update.

But there was a 1 on my screen, I needed it to go away.

#4505 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2571 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

Yeah, avoid the update if you can.  The pacing of the matches are noticeably affected by the extra screen loading. 

#4506 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

I always do the update. just to make the annoying "You need to update" messages go away.

#4507 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

And after all that work to get a 10 pack....

1 Gold out of the whole batch. It was a Red Steve Rogers so at least it was something usable. But damn. Only 10% three star cover chance? Surely the drop rate is better than that.

one day left in the PvE event for me. I'll have to see if I can catch up.

#4508 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

Echo chamber. Feels like I'm just talking to myself in here.

#4509 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

...echo chamber... ...feels like I'm just talking to myself in here...

:-

#4510 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:35 PM

I'm kinda bummed that I missed out on getting 50th place in the season by like five points. So, earned five individual tokens instead of the better odds ten pack.

And to top it all off, while it was awarding my tokens, I got the mandatory update push, which interrupted my awards. Lost out on three tokens and the ISO/HP for individual placement. So I had to open a ticket with customer service, waiting to hear back.

Other than that, 10 hours and change in PvE, currently in the 30s for placement. That last hour tonight is going to make a difference between a Star-Lord cover and junk.

#4511 WutDaHenk   War Eagle! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

I would like to thank all the last minute rubber banding for pretty much screwing everyone right now. That and the points that they gave some people but not others.

I woke up this morning and made it to the 20s.  My score had been on average was about 25 this whole event.  Id even go to sleep and wake up and only drop maybe 10 points but still within top 50.

After getting to the 20s I had 3 hours left in the game.  Had to take my dog to the vet and decided while out to go shopping.  Shit I sleep 8 hours and my score drops 10 points, Im good.  Come home after the 3 hours, congratulations you were top 150... God dammit, I look.  I was 51...Freaking 51!!!!

Taking a look at CAGpVengers we're in the same boat.  Been in the 20s the whole time, now 55?  Where the hell did this magic rubber banding come from in the last couple slices? I shouldve taken an earlier slice because this is ridiculous.  Im beyond upset.  Only good thing is there's nothing to do now & I dont even want to bother with that divine champions crap.  MPQ honestly, why do you really want me to stop playing you?

#4512 sidlon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   256 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Just curious - any strong opinions on the best build for Stormhawk?

The forum seems fairly divided. Currently 3/5/5 and debating how to apply the new green.

#4513 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1705 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

Just curious - any strong opinions on the best build for Stormhawk?

The forum seems fairly divided. Currently 3/5/5 and debating how to apply the new green.

I'm in the same boat as you.  Have one green waiting, but not sure how to re-spec.

#4514 sidlon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   256 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

With those colors and such low health, I'll probably only use her in creative PvE C teams. Black is the least used of the colors, but that cloud also gets matched away quickly.

#4515 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

I got more golds from the standard tokens than from my whole ten pack. An extra yellow for Steve. A power I almost never use.  Got a Gamora too, but I'm not spending the HP to add her.

Daredevil is the reward from the replay of the Rocket & Groot event.

#4516 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:20 PM

I may try and go for the Progression Reward of Grocket since I do not really need more Daredevil but I doubt I will make it with how much I have been playing lately.

You guys totally made me feel inferior however knowing that while my 3* roster is nice and robust and max leveled, I have no 4* strength. Instead of maxing out my Deadpool I have since focused on getting my X-Force at least to his current cap of like 168 or so. Brought him up from 70 -> 97 this past week so I still have a long ways to go!

#4517 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1705 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:31 PM

I had to spend 650 to open a slot for Star Lord.  I'm up to 49 slots now, but I hung on to Juggs for Balance of Power.

#4518 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

My Stormhawk is 4/4/5, and don't really care enough to make the call.

When fighting her, I only care about her black. Green is more useful than yellow in a vacuum, but being able to clear out Team Up tiles has some nice synergy with characters who need X of a color, like Hood, Blade or X-Force, and collecting green to get other colors only has value if she's the only green user on the team.

If you're going to run her to be self-sufficient, though, I'd probably go 5/3/5 unless I planned to use a lot of Team Ups.

As a support character, I think the call is between AP collection/shakeup on green, minimizing the number of team up tiles, and having the ability to overwrite a lot of basic/trap tiles. There is really no amazing improvement in having 5 versus 4 in any of them, so some combination of 5 and two 4s probably makes for acceptable general usage.

Will I give her levels? Probably not.

I got a canned response on my missing Season rewards. Just love getting those "we saw a keyword, so we sent you an email sort of about what you wrote" responses. Waiting for a human to actually read it.

Up to 53 characters with Star-Lord.

#4519 WutDaHenk   War Eagle! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Wait, so I can finally get a blue Daredevil cover? My 5/0/5 Daredevil greatly appreciates it.  How I can get 5 in red and purple and not one damn blue is beyond me.  I still get more daredevil covers too, always sucks to see his icon and surprise, another red.  Ive had his red at 5 basically since he came out.

You guys totally made me feel inferior however knowing that while my 3* roster is nice and robust and max leveled, I have no 4* strength. Instead of maxing out my Deadpool I have since focused on getting my X-Force at least to his current cap of like 168 or so. Brought him up from 70 -> 97 this past week so I still have a long ways to go!

YES! Beware my level 200 something X-force! Also my fully covered IW that I dare not spend any iso on because she sucks! Umm my Thor and Elektra only have a couple covers so you can slightly tremble at them.  As for Nick, I have him in the hundreds, but he feels more like a support character right now. Oh I need a purple, maybe blue, no one has yellow, ok Nick you're in. 

Seriously though aside from X-force paired with Laken and featured character thats about the only 4* I regularly use.  If I could spec him right he'd be even more super awesome.  Im not happy that I have 5 in yellow for X-force, but that true healing though....Completely healed within 3 turns? Yes please.

I had to spend 650 to open a slot for Star Lord.  I'm up to 49 slots now, but I hung on to Juggs for Balance of Power.

Why? I dont hang on to any 1*s because I'll get a crap ton from tokens.  Juggs and Venom most of all....lots and lots of venom. Oh and yelena, the game loves giving me her.

If you're going to run her to be self-sufficient, though, I'd probably go 5/3/5 unless I planned to use a lot of Team Ups.

As a support character, I think the call is between AP collection/shakeup on green, minimizing the number of team up tiles, and having the ability to overwrite a lot of basic/trap tiles. There is really no amazing improvement in having 5 versus 4 in any of them, so some combination of 5 and two 4s probably makes for acceptable general usage.

Since she's a powered up character and so is Ms. Marvel 2*, Ive been thinking about TU and yellows.  Its completely stupid and why bother saving up enough yellow to do both is beyond me; but why not use both of their yellow powers at the same time?  Ms Marvel creates x TU tiles with her yellow and Stormhawk destroys y TU tiles with hers.  The for added fun throw in classic mags and just go to town on TU tiles with his red.  Now that Im used to TUs I dont really miss environmental tiles.  However I have to say 3* storm wouldve been uber beast on the desert and forest environments.  I miss those endless desert green cascades, those were the days.

Oh and saved 600 HP, sold my 2* johnny and now have 2 open slots.  Im at 47 now, I guess I could build MN mags and modhawk again, probably not.

Lastly: event complaint, Hood with Goons? Thank you maggia for feeding Hood yellow for twin pistols.  One shot and Im dead, wonderful.  Also thank you for the update with the banner, I really need to be constantly told that every turn goons have fed hood even more.  Twin pistols twin pistols twin pistols, Even hulk was barely standing after all that.

#4520 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:59 PM

Wait, so I can finally get a blue Daredevil cover? My 5/0/5 Daredevil greatly appreciates it.  How I can get 5 in red and purple and not one damn blue is beyond me.  I still get more daredevil covers too, always sucks to see his icon and surprise, another red.  Ive had his red at 5 basically since he came out.

YES! Beware my level 200 something X-force! Also my fully covered IW that I dare not spend any iso on because she sucks! Umm my Thor and Elektra only have a couple covers so you can slightly tremble at them.  As for Nick, I have him in the hundreds, but he feels more like a support character right now. Oh I need a purple, maybe blue, no one has yellow, ok Nick you're in. 

Seriously though aside from X-force paired with Laken and featured character thats about the only 4* I regularly use.  If I could spec him right he'd be even more super awesome.  Im not happy that I have 5 in yellow for X-force, but that true healing though....Completely healed within 3 turns? Yes please.

Why? I dont hang on to any 1*s because I'll get a crap ton from tokens.  Juggs and Venom most of all....lots and lots of venom. Oh and yelena, the game loves giving me her.

Since she's a powered up character and so is Ms. Marvel 2*, Ive been thinking about TU and yellows.  Its completely stupid and why bother saving up enough yellow to do both is beyond me; but why not use both of their yellow powers at the same time?  Ms Marvel creates x TU tiles with her yellow and Stormhawk destroys y TU tiles with hers.  The for added fun throw in classic mags and just go to town on TU tiles with his red.  Now that Im used to TUs I dont really miss environmental tiles.  However I have to say 3* storm wouldve been uber beast on the desert and forest environments.  I miss those endless desert green cascades, those were the days.

Oh and saved 600 HP, sold my 2* johnny and now have 2 open slots.  Im at 47 now, I guess I could build MN mags and modhawk again, probably not.

Lastly: event complaint, Hood with Goons? Thank you maggia for feeding Hood yellow for twin pistols.  One shot and Im dead, wonderful.  Also thank you for the update with the banner, I really need to be constantly told that every turn goons have fed hood even more.  Twin pistols twin pistols twin pistols, Even hulk was barely standing after all that.

yeap + got to love how they power up wolv.  Now  all the AI is over powered screwing me over. Played one time rank 76.  Cant get past the final nod on top with  Jug. or the final 2 nods on bottom cause of the one shot  hood kill

Glad i dont want the rewards 

#4521 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:02 PM

Also thank you for the update with the banner, I really need to be constantly told that every turn goons have fed hood even more.

This should make you happy, posted last night:

Hi, all,

When we introduced a banner to show how much AP is being generated by characters that don't move the board, we knew that some folks would want an option to control whether it showed or not. We added one for the next major release, but from the feedback we've gotten the last few days, it's clear that's not going to come fast enough.

We've also heard from many people that want this information to be visible, but find that this particular presentation really doesn't work for them.

So here's our plan:
- As soon as we can (we're aiming for tomorrow, 2/3, but still need to finish testing the change), we'll be turning the banner off.
- We'll be revisiting some of the other options for showing this information that we considered along the way to the current presentation, and exploring some new ideas. Both of those avenues include suggestions we've heard here on the forums, so thank you for those. If we find a UI for this that's clear and has a much lower impact (ideally no impact) on turn length, we'll be adding it in a future release. (Depending on the solution, it might be a while before we can roll it out.)

Thanks for all your feedback.

#4522 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:50 PM

got to love how they screw this game over for newbies. Push it from 3 hour refresh to 8 hour meaning  Bigger team = longer play

Now they want 4 star  PVE expanded to 50 to 150 so they can come in and play once a day and get the rewards what the others are logging into 3 to 4 times a day just to get, so not only do they get to hog all of the rewards in PVP but  now they want all  of the PVE crap as well

been a fun game but with 8 hour refresh there is almost no reason to even play it anymore.

#4523 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

The half second pause for the mook banner does throw your game off a little bit, but I've gotten used to it.

My Daredevil already has 5 blue and 5 purple. 1 red. To get another red I'd have to place in the top 10. Not going to happen. I'll probably still play the event some in the hope for some tokens.

Gamora is the reward for the Storm tournament. Yawn.

#4524 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Man, I am stuck in PvP. Wanted to get the 1000 progress Thor for Category-5, but I'm sitting shielded at 921 without any targets giving more than 20 points, no matter how much I skip. That's not worth the hassle of potential hits from other players, nevermind the retaliations.

I realize this is a test event for matchmaking, but this is painful. They still haven't fixed the "Skip? Okay, let me match you with the same three people again."

I'm not even in the top five of my bracket, so I will probably not even get all the Gamora covers.

#4525 neocisco   Changnesiac CAGiversary!   19265 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

So the random alliance I jumped in awhile back is essentially dead.  Are there any alliances here that have any openings?  My username is the same on MPQ if you want to check my roster to see if I'm worthy. ;)  I play every day, even if it's just for 20 minutes, but usually 45-60 minutes each day.

#4526 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

There's a casual CAG alliance (where we don't really care how you do, or what your point totals are) and a CAGPVE alliance which is more hardcore and expects you to maintain a certain score.

Both are probably full at this time, (The CAG PVE one is private, too  I think) but just post a message here on the board about which one you're interested in.

I think I'm about done with the game myself.

#4527 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1875 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:44 PM

Want to see what disappointment looks like?

15842391614_b0d02c02d3_n.jpg

I even had a 36 point match queued up to shield hop, but fell asleep.

Really glad for the Gauntlet this week. Needed an easy week.

#4528 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1705 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

That sucks Koju.  I don't have any Lady Thors, but I don't think I'll ever be up near 1000 points for a PvP.  I had a good run of useless 3 stars, 4 DDs over the past couple days, all that I don't need or don't want.

#4529 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:03 PM

got to love jumping in events with less then 45 mins to go.  Did it again with spiderman.  Got 4th.   did it with the last 3 events and ended up with 3 covers and  100tok each time.   Could of done it with thor but jumped too soon. Jumped with an hour left  and entered in  485th. if waiting 20 more mins would jumped right.

#4530 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7720 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

I jumped into the PvE last night and managed to get to 17k with an hour and a half left still. I decided to let everything recharge and then I would go at it again, easily snatching up the final reward of Grocket and sliding into the top 100 overall and top 50 for the event.

I of course fell asleep. Haha oh well can only use a Red DD anyway but am still taking all the ISO I get and pumping it into X-Force. He is almost 120 now, slow and steady!

This Gauntlet though... I want that Purple Deadpool. Mine is 5/4/4 and would love to have him 5/5/3. Not sure if I can make it all the way though, we shall see.

Also I want the Yellow Hood but really since the change with his move is it really worth it? I think since the patch his ideal build would be 4/5/4 since you rarely use the Yellow and it still ends the turn but with the Black it is easier and more likely to be used?

And damn Koju, that really suck! I still do not even have a single cover for her haha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel, Puzzle Quest, Android, Dark Reign, F2P