* * * * * 3 votes

Marvel Puzzle Quest Discussion Thread

Marvel Puzzle Quest Android Dark Reign F2P

#5071 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:44 PM

My 3/0/0 level 86 Ant-Man definitely does not stand a chance at that Jean Grey... haha damn.

#5072 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:43 PM

Hey guys, remember the good ole when this thread was nice and active?   :cry:

#5073 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1817 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:35 AM

So... how about that new Wolverine?

#5074 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:36 PM

So... how about that new Wolverine?

Her new powers are intriguing enough and having a 4* that can heal basically each turn would be really nice. As has been the problem though is the crazy fast release rate for all of these. As if it weren't hard enough to get a fully covered or even usable 4* but the more they add the harder it is. I am completely stuck in 3* land. My 4hor is like 196 and is 4/3/3 but even that isn't that great. Nearly all of my 4*s are sitting at completely unusable levels and there is no sign of them getting better any time soon : /

I am back to pretty much doing the DPD since I am getting bummed about my lack of 4*s hah

#5075 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1817 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

Getting top spot in the release events really accelerates the 4* progress (not easy, I know), as does the progression Legendary Token in PvE.

I don't think it was the case in the current event (I joined super late, and gunning for top 2 is skewing my perspective), but pretty much every other event has a reachable Legendary if you do the 8 hour clears. You can ignore the grinds assuming you have all three required characters, and if you don't, just grind the last sub if you need the extra points (later subs are usually worth more points). Considering that doing those clears will net you ISO for leveling and probably decent placement for some HP or tokens, it is a fairly 'casual' way to advance if you can play about three times a day for thirty minutes at a time. Plus, it offsets the agony of a 4* cover you can't use when you get yet another IW yellow.

(I put 'casual' because playing on a schedule for days at a time really isn't a casual activity, but rather, in comparison to the competitive play model of trying to fight for top placement. But at least you don't have to hit the three clears at exactly 8 hours each.)

As far as I'm concerned, the 1k PvP target is probably the easiest way to grow a specific 4* character if you can field enough decent 3* boosted characters. Depends on how soon you start seeing the <x>-Busters as pervasive opponents, and whether you are willing to use shields to get there. Slice choice is a factor, as is starting time. You can't really Broly your way to 1k, but I have done a no-shield 1k by clearing seeds at around 18-30 hours out to get to 200, climbing to 600-800 when I have some free time for a match here and there, then pushing to 1k somewhere around 3-5 hours out.

I can hit 1300 if I want to, but I find the penalty for missing a shield hop timing to be too severe. There's also the significantly higher HP cost in getting a shot at a random outcome. That being said, I did 1300 in the Red Hulk event (since I was waiting for a fresh PvE slice and needed something to play) and pulled an Old Man Logan cover for my troubles, so sometimes the RNG is a benevolent god.

In any case, to answer my own question, I'm on the fence with X23. The 4* space is full of nukes on her colors, but a more reliable true healing and decent strike tiles would be nice for hard PvE nodes with an attack tile character who doesn't use purple or green.

Like... um... nobody? Huh. Everyone who makes an attack tile has at least a green or purple active power. Even the 'random special tile' characters like Beast have at least one. (There are actually good fits if you get a rainbow from a third character - Mohawk Storm's black would work really well, even though I rarely use her.)

#5076 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:47 PM

I can see how the Legendary tokens are definitely more attainable in PvE I just still do not play as much throughout the day now that I moved and no longer am stuck on a train for at least 2 hours a day! I pretty much just play for maybe 45 minutes to an hour off and on each day and that is usually just enough to get the DPD done and maybe a few other matches. My thing is that even if I get one Legendary Token from progression PvE rewards that is basically one every 5 to 7 days and pair that with the fact that there are so many 4*s now the time it would take me to get another usable 4* going just this route would take me at the very least a couple months.

I will keep chugging away from the progression rewards in PvE but I have tried quite a few times now in PvP and can NEVER reach the 1k rewards. Well never as in recently, I was able to back in the day when it was first released but not for many months have I been able to hit that high. Even with careful playing and spending a ton on boosts and even shields I always got locked out at just around 900 max. 

I suppose I am not a good gauge of the effectiveness of new 4*s since to me they all seem pretty awesome but that is largely because I do not have any to compare to. Yeah there are a few that seem like duds to me like Carnage but everyone else seems relatively solid. 

#5077 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1817 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, I can see how you're kind of in rock/hard place mode.

One thing to note, though, is that PvE is now only 3, 4, and 7 days. The new one starting today is 4 days, which I think is followed by a 3 day Heroic. You'll never catch up to max out new releases, but the random nature means you should get at least some of the mainstays to fighting weight eventually through the tokens.

Or maybe you get super lucky and get 13 Silver Surfer covers in a row. :D

Yeah there are a few that seem like duds to me like Carnage but everyone else seems relatively solid.

Carnage is actually not that bad. He is kind of like Sentry before the nerf - you wouldn't use him for sustained play, but he will tear up your opponents if you don't mind the health packs. Makes a good defense character, in that he slows down anyone from using cheap powers unless they want to take damage.

#5078 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

Or maybe you get super lucky and get 13 Silver Surfer covers in a row. :D

My seemingly limitless supply of Health Packs from the Taco Tokens seem to hint that even a single SS is out of my RNG grasp : P

#5079 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1817 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

My seemingly limitless supply of Health Packs from the Taco Tokens seem to hint that even a single SS is out of my RNG grasp : P

I didn't think so originally, but I now consider Health Packs the best reward I can reasonably acquire. I hoard tacos until I'm in a push where I run out of health packs, then redeem until I get the five pack. Saves me HP, and doesn't create any unreasonable expectations on my part. :)

If I get something else cool like a 4* cover I can use, I just consider that gravy.

#5080 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:59 AM

I just hopped into the event ending in a couple hours and lo and behold there is Koju sitting at rank one in my group! : P

I have not looked at your roster in a while and I just did.... DAYUMMMMMMM hahah

#5081 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:53 PM

https://d3go.com/for...hp?f=13&t=34839

Looks like good news for me so that hopefully I can score some more Legendary packs with my limited play time!

#5082 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

https://d3go.com/for...hp?f=13&t=34839

Looks like good news for me so that hopefully I can score some more Legendary packs with my limited play time!

Yeah, not sure if I'll hoard points for specific covers, or cash in for legendaries.  Will probably depend on the cost of the covers, but I have a few 4* color covers maxed, so it's a bit of a gamble to just take the token.

#5083 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

I wasn't able to see an option to use the CP for any specific covers so I wonder if that option is just for 5*s and I misread thinking it was for 4*s as well? Since I saw no option I just used my 25 on a token and I got a Yellow Mr Fantastic. Not really excited at all with that pull but I suppose it could have been worse so no complaints on my end. Just really wish I could score some Hulkbuster or Prof X. Some Jean Grey or 4hor or even Nick Fury would be welcomed too even.

#5084 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1817 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

I wasn't able to see an option to use the CP for any specific covers so I wonder if that option is just for 5*s and I misread thinking it was for 4*s as well? Since I saw no option I just used my 25 on a token and I got a Yellow Mr Fantastic. Not really excited at all with that pull but I suppose it could have been worse so no complaints on my end. Just really wish I could score some Hulkbuster or Prof X. Some Jean Grey or 4hor or even Nick Fury would be welcomed too even.

Right now CP can only be used for Legendary Tokens or to upgrade 5* covers. Supposedly 4* covers will come eventually, but not yet.

#5085 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:51 AM

Bah, I love how the Growing Pains is giving up basically a free Purple Ant-Man... I mean I can still use it but my Ant-Man is currently 4/0/0 and this will now make him 5/0/0. I still appreciate the cover but having only one move even available really limits his use. I suppose I am in good shape for if I ever get his other covers but still a bit lame for me hah

#5086 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:59 AM

Luke Cage opinion time as mine is sitting currently at 5/4/4 and I really like it but checking the forums they seem to say you need to go all out one way or the other with either 5/3/5 or 5/5/3. I feel at 4 with each his defense tile is still pretty strong and then his jab will still add the stun.

I am still thinking of keeping him 5/4/4 but figured I would throw the question out to you guys to see if I should take advantage of the extra covers I have.

#5087 HuBu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1330 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

Luke Cage opinion time as mine is sitting currently at 5/4/4 and I really like it but checking the forums they seem to say you need to go all out one way or the other with either 5/3/5 or 5/5/3. I feel at 4 with each his defense tile is still pretty strong and then his jab will still add the stun.

I am still thinking of keeping him 5/4/4 but figured I would throw the question out to you guys to see if I should take advantage of the extra covers I have.

Mine is @ 5/3/5 and the shield not that noticeable from 3 to 4. Either way - it does -1. I prefer the added dmg with 5 in black. normally - I would get to 12 blk to pop IF's punch then pop the 1k hit to soften someone down and hit the 1-2-3 on someone to KO them. 

#5088 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:01 PM

I have mine at 3/5/5, mostly for PvE.  Red at 5 stops most match damage, and also works well against the ninjas.  Black with the stun is great for 1 enemy plus two goons.  I generally pair him with Iron Fist, so IF's purple feeds Cage's black.  I have yellow at three, because I generally don't prioritize it with that pair.

#5089 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1817 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

If your primary team has no outlet for black, but generates it (like the very common Luke Cage/Iron Fist combo), going 5 on black makes a lot of sense. The defense tile will be good enough most of the time, and having two big damage powers and a stun is valuable.

If you already have a primary black outlet (3* Cyclops, Black Panther, Hulkbuster, etc.), having a 5 in red will really help against boosted enemies in PvE, especially ninjas and minor strike tile creators like Daken. You lose the stun, but you reduce health pack usage during grinds.

With 5/4/4, you end up in the middle - you could be stopping more damage or doing more damage, but there aren't very many regular opponents that warrant "just a little more defense" and "do less damage".

Here's the breakdown:

• Unbreakable - PASSIVE redtile.png
    With his bulletproof, steel-hard skin, Luke Cage is a walking tank. At the beginning of every turn, if there are no friendly Protect tiles on the board, Luke creates a strength 33 redtile.png Protect tile.
    • Level 2: Creates a Strength 38 redtile.png Protect tile.
      Level 3: Creates a Strength 45 redtile.png Protect tile.
      Level 4: Creates a Strength 58 redtile.png Protect tile.
      Level 5: Creates a Strength 85 redtile.png Protect tile.
      Max Level: 3 - 141 Protect tile, 4 - 182 Protect tile, 5 - 268 Protect tile
  • Jab, Jab, Cross - 6 blacktile.png
    Luke sets up for a classic one-two punch to knock his opponents cold. Luke deals 164 damage and places a 4-turn Countdown tile. While active, Jab, Jab, Cross deals 597 damage instead.
    • Level 2: Luke deals 190 damage or 710 damage if his Countdown tile exists.
      Level 3: Luke deals 246 damage or 818 damage if his Countdown tile exists.
      Level 4: If his Countdown tile exists, Luke also stuns the target for 1 turn.
      Level 5: Luke deals 328 damage or 1367 damage if his Countdown tile exists.
      Max Level: 3 - 783/2596 damage, 4 - 783/2596 damage + 1 turn stun, 5 - 1044/4340 damage +1 turn stun

At level 4 in red, you only gain 41 points of damage control at the expense of 261/1744 in black damage. On the flip side, you gain a one turn stun at the expense of 86 points of damage control.

I currently have a 5/5/3 Cage, but I don't really use him as much as I used to. I'm debating moving to a 5/3/5 build for when he's in Heroics and I need to slow down Ares or Juggernaut.

Having yellow at 5 means having a 10k nuke when he's boosted, so I don't see myself dropping below 5.

(gravel made some of my points, but I'm too lazy to change what I wrote.)

#5090 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:28 AM

Totally-Awesome-Hulk-Cover-02-5a671.jpg

Seemed lame at first but the story is actually fairly decent. I of course would rather be getting 4* covers for character that are almost usable.... but oh well that isn't happening any time soon!

#5091 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:12 PM

Seemed lame at first but the story is actually fairly decent. I of course would rather be getting 4* covers for character that are almost usable.... but oh well that isn't happening any time soon!

I liked the event, and it's a good way to introduce a new character, but from what I've seen, he isn't good.  Also underwhelmed with Ghost Rider, but he could be serviceable with enough covers. 

#5092 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

I am sitting with a 4/2/4 Jean Grey right now and am trying to level her up slowly as much as I can; she is at 185 at the moment.

What do you guys think are my best characters to pair her with? Keep in mind I do not have any other 4*s at a useful level other than 4hor at 225. The next group of 4*s aren't until 145 and those are just X-Force, IW an Elektra.. haha gross. 

Other than that though I have nearly every single 3* completed in terms of covers and most are at usable levels and none below 120. 

#5093 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

I am sitting with a 4/2/4 Jean Grey right now and am trying to level her up slowly as much as I can; she is at 185 at the moment.

What do you guys think are my best characters to pair her with? Keep in mind I do not have any other 4*s at a useful level other than 4hor at 225. The next group of 4*s aren't until 145 and those are just X-Force, IW an Elektra.. haha gross. 

Other than that though I have nearly every single 3* completed in terms of covers and most are at usable levels and none below 120. 

Awesome Broly, mine is at 5/1/4 after the green reward in the recent PvP.  I haven't used Jean much, but with her purple at 4, you could pair her with Scarlet Witch to feed her purple.  Then you'd probably want a damage dealing red/yellow to go with them, maybe Cyclops?  Of course, all of this depends on what you are playing, since PvP generally has required/boosted characters.  Also, Koju or someone might have better ideas.

#5094 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

Awesome Broly, mine is at 5/1/4 after the green reward in the recent PvP.  I haven't used Jean much, but with her purple at 4, you could pair her with Scarlet Witch to feed her purple.  Then you'd probably want a damage dealing red/yellow to go with them, maybe Cyclops?  Of course, all of this depends on what you are playing, since PvP generally has required/boosted characters.  Also, Koju or someone might have better ideas.

I actually just ran that team while messing around with setups and I really liked it thanks! : ) My Cyclops is maxed at 166 and SW will be stuck at 160 now that Jean needs ISO too : P haha

#5095 Kojubat   Not a Pokémon CAGiversary!   1817 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

Gravel hit the best option - Scarlet Witch is Jean's best buddy in 3* land, especially in PvE. (Add in Hood or 4* Falcon for countdown acceleration.)

Anyone who accelerates green but doesn't have a cheap/amazing green power of their own would also work well, like Ragnarok. GSBW and KK give you flexibility, but the purple conflict is significant. Thor gives you better flexibility, especially if you spec him 5/5/3.

Jean can also work just fine with most of the support 3*s like Hood, Loki and Falcon, but you probably want to add a meat shield, especially if they can cover the colors for those characters.

Using Jean as a third while Hulk Bombing isn't too bad - you get green generation, meat shield and her purple takes care of Patch's drawback.

Beyond that, look to your yellow/red/black rainbows like BP, Luke Cage, Cyclops, etc.

And finally, Jean's blue is just a Prof X deterrent. The AI is ignorant to anything except straight-line match 5s, so the only reason you should have more than 3 in blue is because the covers fell that way.

#5096 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:46 PM

Awesome insight on all of that Koju as always, thanks! : )

And yeah I ideally will have her at 5/3/5 and I actually have enough HP to buy another cover right now but I know the second I buy one more and max out what I want for a specific color that is what I will get from the next Legendary Token or something; that is always just my luck!

#5097 sidlon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

Happy Champion Day everyone!  (should go live sometime tonight)

https://d3go.com/for...php?f=7&t=37511

#5098 gravel   Meh CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

Happy Champion Day everyone!  (should go live sometime tonight)

The anticipation is killing me!

Edit: And my gf might actually kills me after this goes live and I mess with MPQ for several hours championing my roster and sorting through the hundreds of covers in my queue.

#5099 BrolyB593   I've been here well over a decade?!? o.O CAGiversary!   7667 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

I sure wish this was live when I have gotten at least 20 extra 3* Thor covers...

I have no extra covers for my characters that are maxed since I always sold them. Really cool idea but getting that many extra covers for characters seems pretty damn tough. Pair that with me not having like any ISO since I have been trying to max out my Jean Grey. Cool addition but lame for me.

I promoted 3* Cyclops for now since he is one of my current favorite 3*s and I wouldn't mind scoring some covers for his 4* counterpart along the way. Too bad my Magneto is only sitting at 120 or something; I would really like those Prof X covers.

Also a bit odd that we cannot buy 'extra' covers for them. I would be all over that if I could with HP.

#5100 dpac   FastFoodSnob CAGiversary!   575 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

I sure wish this was live when I have gotten at least 20 extra 3* Thor covers...

I have no extra covers for my characters that are maxed since I always sold them. Really cool idea but getting that many extra covers for characters seems pretty damn tough. Pair that with me not having like any ISO since I have been trying to max out my Jean Grey. Cool addition but lame for me.

Yeah, I agree with a lot of what you said here, BrolyB, but I am pretty glad it makes leveling up my maxed-out 3* characters feasible.  Joined a PvE alliance, by the way, & the rewards pile up quite a bit faster since everyone has to get at least 15,000 points each tournament.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Marvel, Puzzle Quest, Android, Dark Reign, F2P