* * * * - 16 votes

Disney Infinity Deals Compilation Thread Mk. II - Adios Infinity - Best Buy Flash Sale 5/20

Disney Infinity Disney Infinity Disney Infinity Deals Figures

#8221 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6720 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

Nice, I still regret not winning that disk.  But, it's not enough to cry about.  Still silly the did crap like that in the first place.  Was bad enough the way they did the disks....

I am all for rare/exclusive items but I do agree with this to an extent. I think they should have made the D23 one rare/red/lenticular and then a normal one that is clear/normal. Just like they did with D23 Sorcerer Mickey.

But there are some interesting aspects of the discs being in blind bags that I think led to the success and in turn fall of Infinity.

Blind bags helped retailers, people bought them way more because of the randomness and rarity of some discs. It allowed retailers to sell them at a much higher volume. Sure there were left overs but nothing like in 3.0. Everyone attributes the excess stock with the figures, but I see way more power discs then figures at stores on clearance for 3.0.

With 3.0 you bought a 4-set and you were done, there were no more rares and no more trading for discs, so people were one and done if they even cared about the power discs. Everyone who bought Infinity bought it because of the figures and got into the discs as a side-effect (if at all). So when 3.0 rolled around the figures sold well but not the power discs, no where near as many as its predecessors. So while I think excess figure stock was a problem, I personally think the true loss in terms of revenue were the power discs.

#8222 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3269 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:53 PM

I am all for rare/exclusive items but I do agree with this to an extent. I think they should have made the D23 one rare/red/lenticular and then a normal one that is clear/normal. Just like they did with D23 Sorcerer Mickey.

Yea, I bought the 3rd release 1.0 that was the complete set so I didn't have to waste time.  I wasted SO MUCH TIME with that trade thread getting it going and running.... and I gotta be honest, traded a lot at a loss to help others more than I received.  And pack scratching was super lame.  Esp. for those last couple of missing ones.  I didn't bother with 2.0... so when 3.0 did their "mini" packs... I dove back in.

And if they did with figs like Skylanders did, I might have straight up hurt someone.  I hated how hard the first set/two of Skylanders had that one person that was IMPOSSIBLE to find.  Ridiculous.  At least with the release windows for Infinity you could count on getting the ones you wanted if you got to the store in the first couple of days.

#8223 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6720 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:55 PM

Yea, I bought the 3rd release 1.0 that was the complete set so I didn't have to waste time.  I wasted SO MUCH TIME with that trade thread getting it going and running.... and I gotta be honest, traded a lot at a loss to help others more than I received.  And pack scratching was super lame.  Esp. for those last couple of missing ones.  I didn't bother with 2.0... so when 3.0 did their "mini" packs... I dove back in.

I completed all three sets (1.0/2.0/3.0) due to a good number of people on Facebook, cost me very little compared to the going rate on ebay for them. From a consumer side 3.0 is a LOT better for the power discs, but from a retail side they suck.

#8224 100xp   Blizzard Spy CAGiversary!   4439 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

let the little one open & play w/Kylo Ren (FX) the other night...he didn't want to play anyone else for the rest of the evening. I had to remind him to focus on the screen or the bad guys are going to get him while he wasn't looking.

I'll be on the look out for more FX lightsaber figures on sale...shame there aren't more FX figures. Hulkbuster could have been epic w/FX lights on the base and not just in the toybox.

#8225 El Gray   Obscurity Sponge CAGiversary!   1114 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

Anyone who is doing online trophy (play 10 games - I need 9 more) on PS4, I'd be down. PM me and I'll give you my PSN name. 

You can get this by playing 10 games in the arcade with random folks. Sometimes you might have to wait a few minutes to get matched to a game, but it's usually not too bad. I finally got this trophy a couple of weeks ago.

#8226 mcdull   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   669 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

With 3.0 you bought a 4-set and you were done, there were no more rares and no more trading for discs, so people were one and done if they even cared about the power discs. Everyone who bought Infinity bought it because of the figures and got into the discs as a side-effect (if at all). So when 3.0 rolled around the figures sold well but not the power discs, no where near as many as its predecessors. So while I think excess figure stock was a problem, I personally think the true loss in terms of revenue were the power discs.

I'm sure the manufacturing cost and storage cost of power discs is a fraction of the figure. The blind packs aren't blind and the fee of swiping credit cards for buying and returning "blind" packs might not help the store much. For me a non-collectors of power discs, if 3.0 were blind packs, I would not buy any as they're purely optional. But because they are not, I bought all of them when they're on sale for $5 or less.

#8227 SacCityGamer   By Sacramento Gamers, for ALL Gamers CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

SacCityGamer

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:55 PM

You can get this by playing 10 games in the arcade with random folks. Sometimes you might have to wait a few minutes to get matched to a game, but it's usually not too bad. I finally got this trophy a couple of weeks ago.

I have tried many, many times and can never get games going. Well, not 'never', I did get one game, but haven't been able to get anymore. 

#8228 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6720 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

I'm sure the manufacturing cost and storage cost of power discs is a fraction of the figure. The blind packs aren't blind and the fee of swiping credit cards for buying and returning "blind" packs might not help the store much. For me a non-collectors of power discs, if 3.0 were blind packs, I would not buy any as they're purely optional. But because they are not, I bought all of them when they're on sale for $5 or less.

I think you missed my points.

I am sure the figures cost more then the blind bags to make. But everyone who got into Disney Infinity bought figures, not everyone bought power discs for any series. I am sure more people bought a 3.0 set then those who bought blind bags in 1.0/2.0 BUT one person buying a 3.0 set and the store having dozens left over unsold doesn't help. In 1.0/2.0 if someone got into the power discs they could buy upwards of 20 bags in 1 transaction, insane to think of spending $100 on these things especially as a CAG but I know for a fact it happens.

Since they were blind bags people who were into them literally had to buy dozens to get complete sets even if they wanted to trade. For 3.0 they spent $10 and they were done for that "set". There is no doubt in my mind that stores sold way more blind bags then 3.0 sets because we see have seen 3.0 sets on sale regularly for $5 and even $2 in some rare instances. Yes blind bags went on sale for very very cheap but that was near the end of the 1.0 and 2.0 cycles. With 3.0 we were seeing sales mere weeks after they were released.

Manufacturing costs was not Disney's issue it was unsold stock. Any they had waaaaay more power disc sets unsold then figures. Granted the cost may be 10:1 but the retail cost for a figure and a power disc set are not that far off, $10 vs $14.

Also, some stores eventually stopped taking blind bags as returns. I assume Wal-Mart and maybe Best Buy would have still allowed it due to the variety of products and general lack of training employees are given. But GameStop and Toys R Us most certainly did not allow returns after they caught wind of people buying them and going home and figuring out what ones they wanted and returning the rest.

I am not saying the figures were not an issue, I am sure they were, but I have not seen many people bring up the negative impact that the 3.0 power disc sets had as well.

#8229 flix1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1646 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:22 PM

I have tried many, many times and can never get games going. Well, not 'never', I did get one game, but haven't been able to get anymore.

The only game I was successful in joining and getting enough players was the paintball one, which is the arcade setup closest to the door on the end.

Played in the middle of the afternoon one day a month or so back and got enough players in 5 minutes or so, and just kept rejoining when the game was over. Many of the players were the same for all 10 matches.

#8230 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6720 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

It is better to use the big machine at the front that randomly puts you on 1 of the 4 other machines automatically. If there are other players looking for a game it will automatically put you in that queue. If no one is looking it'll just throw you into a queue for a random game, but at least you have a chance of getting 1-3 other players right off the bat with the "random" machine.

#8231 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5212 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:29 PM

Seems like the Battlegrounds set is getting a bit harder to find, anyone else noticing this? I've seen it in stock at some Targets but others are wiped. Granted the 30% off is good incentive this week, but it still seems rare compared to plentiful Force Awakens and Inside Out sets.

#8232 Shiftygism   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   579 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

Seems like the Battlegrounds set is getting a bit harder to find, anyone else noticing this? I've seen it in stock at some Targets but others are wiped. Granted the 30% off is good incentive this week, but it still seems rare compared to plentiful Force Awakens and Inside Out sets.

It's the newest set, and we're still in the moment of Civil War hype.

Saw a few at Walmart just now, but yeah the other sets are much more plentiful. 

It's still on sale for $20 at Best Buy btw.

#8233 elmo-m  

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:13 PM

So...as I understand it, when Disney shuts down the servers for this (as they inevitably will, or they would have said otherwise), the ability to use text in toy boxes will effectively come to an end. This is because the text, as is, must be checked on Disney's end for vulgarity, before it is okay to save as part of your toy box.

Does anyone see a way around this? Is there ANY way Disney might patch this out, so as to save the ability to create meaningfully deep toyboxes?

Servers will be down by the end of the year they said, no date but will go at some stage between now and then.

Unfortunately due to the team all being laid off means we won't get another patch (which I would love with the unreleased figures available)

#8234 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:42 AM

Is the buy 2 get 3 still valid at Gamestop?

#8235 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7839 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

Is the buy 2 get 3 still valid at Gamestop?

It was yesterday if that helps at all.

#8236 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5212 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:19 AM

Managed to get Battlegrounds at Target for $13.99 after PMing Amazon and using the Cartwheel coupon. Not exactly above board, but possible if you're buying a few items.

#8237 chanmancan   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   6 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

chanmancan

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:24 AM

Does the buy 2 get 3 work on gamestop.com?

#8238 SacCityGamer   By Sacramento Gamers, for ALL Gamers CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

SacCityGamer

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:00 AM

The only game I was successful in joining and getting enough players was the paintball one, which is the arcade setup closest to the door on the end.

Played in the middle of the afternoon one day a month or so back and got enough players in 5 minutes or so, and just kept rejoining when the game was over. Many of the players were the same for all 10 matches.

That's how I got the "play one match" trophy. I wasn't able to get anymore games going after it though and haven't really tried again since. Prior to that I had tried a LOT on all the games. 

#8239 macontosh2000   Dirty Scumbag CAGiversary!   874 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

macontosh2000

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:06 AM

I went to a GS today and the employee said that the B2G3 sale ends 6/19.

#8240 Archaic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   549 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

Servers will be down by the end of the year they said, no date but will go at some stage between now and then.

Unfortunately due to the team all being laid off means we won't get another patch (which I would love with the unreleased figures available)

Any source on the servers announcement? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to read it. Thanks!

#8241 flix1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1646 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

My Walmart had most single figures on clearance for $9, except the ones most recently released (Alice and a few other random selections).

I found it odd that Vision and Black Panther were on clearance, but not Ultron or Hulkbuster.

#8242 macontosh2000   Dirty Scumbag CAGiversary!   874 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

macontosh2000

Posted 12 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

Best Buy has Toy Box Takeover and Speedway on sale for 9.99 (7.99 GCU).

Is that a good price for it/ is it any good?

#8243 Shiftygism   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   579 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

I've heard good things about Takeover, $10 is about the standard going rate for it on ebay, so yeah this is a deal.

#8244 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11434 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

If thats the case, 3 more games to add to the need to do trophy list

#8245 elmo-m  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:58 PM

Any source on the servers announcement? Not that I don't believe you, I just want to read it. Thanks!

It was a tweet from JV, so nothing official but the only info we got.

If I can find it I'll come back and link it

#8246 maverick15511  

maverick15511

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

I went to a GS today and the employee said that the B2G3 sale ends 6/19.

I tryed doing it online and at check out it doesnt take away 3. Is this an in store only deal?

#8247 Weepingwillow   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   87 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Weepingwillow

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

I tryed doing it online and at check out it doesnt take away 3. Is this an in store only deal?

Yeah, in store only.

#8248 Saphoon   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   2003 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

Boy that's a kick in the nuts! Bad enough they discontinued it, now they're really showing how they treat loyal fans and supporters.

#8249 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6720 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

Boy that's a kick in the nuts! Bad enough they discontinued it, now they're really showing how they treat loyal fans and supporters.

Um...the game and studio was shut down, how do you expect them to maintain the servers for more then 6+ months with no income and no employees?

#8250 M3wThr33   Batman with a gun. CAGiversary!   1787 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

Um...the game and studio was shut down, how do you expect them to maintain the servers for more then 6+ months with no income and no employees?

Servers can be pretty cheap to run once the volume scales down. Especially if they go to virtual servers and they can handle the smaller load.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney Infinity, Disney, Infinity, Disney Infinity Deals, Figures