My launch Wii... is dying :(

eulogywerd21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
289 (100%)
I want you to let the thread title sink in for a moment. Cry if you need to. I did.

Anyway, like the man says, "My Wii is on it's way out." Sometimes it won't boot up right away, the discs make a weird clicking sound and then other times it randomly loses/regains video for no reason.

So, I won't be buying another Wii, or a WiiU (pffft) because: reasons. But, and I've been interested in trying it for awhile now, I thought I'd give Dolphin a try. Now before anyone starts wagging their finger at me and throwing words like "piracy" around, know that I'm only playing games I already own and have dumped into an iso.

The only problem is the video output I'm getting via Dolphin is a garbled, pixelated mess. The sound is just fine, but no matter what settings I tweak or change in the graphics tab, I get the same nonsense. I've scoured the web for solutions, but no one, and I mean "no one", seems to be having the same issue as me. Plenty of sound related issues, but nothing about the particular video related problem I'm getting.

Can anyone throw me a bone, here?

Edit: So we can focus on the issue at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I got a Wii U and everyone hates me on the Nintendo boards because I'm super critical of Nintendo. Just get one when it's $200 or less.

Also, you could call Nintendo customer support and yell at them until they give you a free repair. I did it on a Wii that was 5 years old and dying. It took a while, the guy tried to haggle me all the way down until I finally got him to have Nintendo repair it free. When I got it back they had replaced the main board and the DVD drive.

Eh, I got a Wii U and everyone hates me on the Nintendo boards because I'm super critical of Nintendo. Just get one when it's $200 or less.

Also, you could call Nintendo customer support and yell at them until they give you a free repair. I did it on a Wii that was 5 years old and dying. It took a while, the guy tried to haggle me all the way down until I finally got him to have Nintendo repair it free. When I got it back they had replaced the main board and the DVD drive.
Everyone hates you on every board.

Not really an expert but I played around with Dolphin a bit before.  What hardware are you running?

Can't even play at default Wii settings? (native x1 resolution, no AA, 1x AF, Post Processing off)  Beyond the default settings will start to require some beefy hardware, since the emulation isn't optimized.

Also, the wii game may not have converted to iso properly.  If the sound is ok, but video isnt, maybe the conversion didn't bypass the copy-protection.  I would try a different program to create the ISO again to rule it out, or convert it to a wbfs file.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the native resolution of the monitor you're using and what resolution is Dolphin outputting at?

I'm thinking that, maybe, Dolphin is outputting at the native Wii resolution of 640 x 480 and without any graphical enhancements, while your monitor is 1080p...

bread's done
Back