* * * * * 2 votes

Hearthstone: CAG-Style

#1 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

What's up everybody?  Been around for a while, but don't post much.  Cheapy talks about Hearthstone a lot, so I wanted to see if there were any other CAGs that were into it.  I couldn't find any other forum posts.

Let me know, and maybe we can start some deck discussions or get together for some matches.

Or, at the very least, you can use this as an oppurtunity to make fun of me for playing it...

#2 m6oo   Bicycle Repair Man CAGiversary!   607 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:20 AM

Been playing it a lot lately. Just finished getting all of the basic cards. Now starting to play arena to turn all of that quest gold into booster packs. Lots of fun so far.

#3 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Agreed.  Enjoying it.  Out of Beta now too.

#4 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5680 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

I tried it during beta...  Wasn't really that impressed.  Seemed like a stripped down MtG to me.

#5 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:04 AM

I tried it during beta...  Wasn't really that impressed.  Seemed like a stripped down MtG to me.

It IS a bit low on features, but I like that. It's a bit simpler, but still a challenge that requires strategy. And it allows Blizzard to add and tweak features moving forward.

#6 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5680 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

It IS a bit low on features, but I like that. It's a bit simpler, but still a challenge that requires strategy. And it allows Blizzard to add and tweak features moving forward.

Hopefully, they will.   I could do without some of the silly voice work but the presentation is Blizzard's typical top notch work...  So it really should be an awesome game. 

#7 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Yeah, I thought the same thing after my first few games, but something made me push through.  I'm now convinced that it is just as deep (strategically and deck-bulding-wise) as MtG.  Hardcore Magic Gamers (and poker players) like Gabe Walls have also gone "all in" (pun intended) with HS.  I get that it might not be everybody's cup of tea though.  If anybody wants to give it a whirl, I'm PrimeTyme45 #1188.

#8 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10784 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

I've been playing it a bit (mostly just doing dailies) but now I'm getting bored as most of the booster packs I'm getting have the same old cards.  I just stack up three dailies and do them all concurrently in one play session.  Total time spent per week is probably less than two hours.

In terms of complexity I doubt it was ever intended to be too deep (although the strategy is still there).  This is Blizzard we're talking about.  Their goal is to make it as accessible as possible to rake in the microtransactions.  And while I know nothing about other card game scenes I'm sure part of their marketing is to 'bribe' big names players to shift over to HS.

#9 Goobie  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hearthstone is definitely a fun casual game to play, I've been playing it for quite awhile now.  If you enjoy all that world of warcraft lore then you will enjoy playing hearthstone, even though it is a card game, don't let that fool you or turn you off, it's worth trying out because it's free to play.

#10 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

I just got into this the other day, and I'm really impressed. I have NOT played other CCGs, so I can't comment on the complexity of it. It seems like the learning curve is very fast and simple  --- it's just the strategies you come up with that are more complex (or as complex as you want it). I haven't spent any money on packs. I may in the future.. but not a lot. Maybe that $10 set or $20 and have it be a one time only thing. I'm OK with doing dailies and then doing arenas to unlocking more cards and then DE'ing the duplicates and create ones I need.

I have a lot of hope for this game. It's new, so anything goes. Currently, there's a promo that if you win 3 matches you will have the "Hearthsteed Mount" in WoW. I like that a lot. This gives me hope that they will have special events that will lead to other prizes/neat things like that. Perhaps even do stuff in their other games can unlock some decks. 

The main thing I am HOPING.. HOPING... for.. is they add vanity pets/mounts/extras to their decks much like TCG. Although I would love if they added the exact pets/mounts/extras to this game, I'm hoping for something new. This doesn't seem unlikely, and if they make these pets/mounts/extras available only (by chance) when you purchase packs, I'd assume that sales would increase a lot. Hell, I know I would set up some kind of limit to allow myself to buy packs. 

Regardless, It's a pretty great (addicting) game that has potential to become a lot better and much more involved with their other games. I'm already loving that people who purchased the D3 expansion received 1-3 packs. It's those kinds of extras that, if done right, can make Blizzard even more enjoyable. No, I'm not one of them blizzard fanboys.. I promise. 

#11 theredworm   I am The Red Worm! CAGiversary!   2456 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

theredworm

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

Started playing this last week when the iPad version came out.  Made my USA itunes account Canadian 5 minutes to download it.  So hooked, trying to level all the classes up to unlock cards.  Beat all the AI on expert which was fun and a learning experience.  Add me if you want a game, this is my first card game so I'm always up for learning.

Tuku#1689 on battle.net

#12 lilboo   Not addicted to WoW CAGiversary!   18235 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

I'm really looking forward to getting this on my iPad. 

#13 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Started playing this last week when the iPad version came out.  Made my USA itunes account Canadian 5 minutes to download it.  So hooked, trying to level all the classes up to unlock cards.  Beat all the AI on expert which was fun and a learning experience.  Add me if you want a game, this is my first card game so I'm always up for learning.

Tuku#1689 on battle.net

I'll add ya tonight...

#14 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

Tuku#1689 on battle.net

Sent you an add request too, just so you know who it is and that it's only a semi-random and not completely random person. ;)

#15 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Sent you an add request too, just so you know who it is and that it's only a semi-random and not completely random person. ;)

Hey Motoki, I guess i'm kinda completely random as well (other than being a fellow cag), but I'm PrimeTyme45#1188 if you are so inclined.

#16 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:27 AM

I wasn't impressed with it. The ranked games were fine but the drafting is terrible, they inject way too much luck into it. The classes are not balanced, which wouldn't be a problem if the class choice weren't semi random. The quality of the cards varies from godly to complete crap, and as all the cards are random rather than passed to you from other players you can't table cards or move into strategies that are open rather you have to hope a specific strategy just work out or more realistically just always take the same universally good card. As all the games are best of ones and you get no information about your opponents deck list it's impossible to prepare a tailored game plan. Also the best of one means that you're going to end up losing to a lot of bad decks simply because of a bad opening hand/mulligan or they have a combo that they get off one every 3 games.

If there was a more fun way to get cards say trading, a more fair draft or a real draft I'd be more interested in the game, but I'm not interested in sinking hundreds of dollars or hours grinding just to get to the real game.

#17 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

I just downloaded this on iPad and I'm enjoying it.  So far it seems like I either kill someone or get killed myself.  Very few games come down to each of us with 5 or less HP although I just got SMOKED by someone where I had 23 HP to his 4 and he used one 7 attack card and applied two +3 cards to it making it a 13 attack and then added some whirlwind card allowing him to go twice in one turn and he absolutely crushed me.  It was kind of fun to watch even though I lost.

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet either - I unlocked all the characters and I've leveled one up past 10 (the Mage).  It's fun.

#18 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

I just downloaded this on iPad and I'm enjoying it.  So far it seems like I either kill someone or get killed myself.  Very few games come down to each of us with 5 or less HP although I just got SMOKED by someone where I had 23 HP to his 4 and he used one 7 attack card and applied two +3 cards to it making it a 13 attack and then added some whirlwind card allowing him to go twice in one turn and he absolutely crushed me.  It was kind of fun to watch even though I lost.

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet either - I unlocked all the characters and I've leveled one up past 10 (the Mage).  It's fun.

Javery, what's your battle.net tag?  I'm thinking about putting together a CAG Hearthstone spreadsheet.

#19 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

I guess it is Javery? That's the name I used when I started playing...

#20 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

I guess it is Javery? That's the name I used when I started playing...

When you have the game up, click on the icon in the lower left corner of the screen.  Your tag is your name plus four digits.  For instance, I'm PrimeTye45#1188

#21 langdon_alger   Phlebitis! CAGiversary!   1086 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

langdon_alger

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:52 PM

Won 2 matches in a row (casual) with a 2nd random Mage deck I created (mostly using their suggestions). Might have to retire now, I'll probably never top that.

#22 Lost n Phound   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   17 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Lost n Phound

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

I used to play the game quite a bit but I'm sort of in a chilling mode with the game right now. I am excited about the new expansion/single player content they are going to be adding. That will likely get me interested and back playing regularly again.

#23 ID2006   "Klaymen, up here!" CAGiversary!   504 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

I pretty much feel the same way about this game as itachiitachi did. The fact that you can't at least do your daily quests through AI battles makes things all the worse. Just feels like a cheap cash grab with a client still riddled with visual and internal bugs (on PC at least). Being unable to trade is a terrible idea, too.

My opinion of Blizzard continues to drop.

#24 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Being unable to trade is a terrible idea, too.

I'm extremely happy there is no trading.  WIth trading comes the inevitable black market and an even bigger pay-to-win structure.  It'd be the D3 Auction House all over again.

#25 ID2006   "Klaymen, up here!" CAGiversary!   504 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

I don't see how that would be the case. If they'd have allowed me to trade with friends, maybe I could have done a little something more when combined with what I had. Certainly better than us 'disenchanting' excess good cards for a pittance.

Not to mention, at least Diablo 3 ultimately compensated for the removal of the auction house with much improved drop rates. HS feels incredibly pay-to-win at the moment.

This game is like having original D3 drop rates on top of no auction house or any way to trade with friends.

#26 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

I don't see how that would be the case. If they'd have allowed me to trade with friends, maybe I could have done a little something more when combined with what I had. Certainly better than us 'disenchanting' excess good cards for a pittance.

Not to mention, at least Diablo 3 ultimately compensated for the removal of the auction house with much improved drop rates. HS feels incredibly pay-to-win at the moment.

This game is like having original D3 drop rates on top of no auction house or any way to trade with friends.

I realize that I welcomed the D3 comparisons (because I brought it up), but your last sentence isn't a fair comparison considering you don't have to pay for Hearthstone, whereas D3 was full retail. 

As I metnioned above, I've only paid $1.99 so far (for an Arena pass during the beta) and I currently only have 3 legendary cards.  However, I don't feel lke I need to spend money to be any more competitive than I already am.  Plenty of folks have made it to Legendary using free to play decks (all basics and commons).  We'll just have to agree to disagree...

#27 itachiitachi   PC Gamer CAGiversary!   636 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

itachiitachi

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

I think the auction house model would actually be useful in this game, it would eliminate the need to try to force people to buy cards by making grinding for them so boring and random. In addition it would give people the incentive to collect more cards than need, and people would probably be less hesitant to buy cards if they knew the could easily sell them. They would probably need a sink for the economy but that wouldn't too hard to incorporate.

#28 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22424 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

When you have the game up, click on the icon in the lower left corner of the screen.  Your tag is your name plus four digits.  For instance, I'm PrimeTye45#1188

Javery#1728

#29 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

I pretty much feel the same way about this game as itachiitachi did. The fact that you can't at least do your daily quests through AI battles makes things all the worse. Just feels like a cheap cash grab with a client still riddled with visual and internal bugs (on PC at least). Being unable to trade is a terrible idea, too.

My opinion of Blizzard continues to drop.

I disagree with almost everything in this post.  I love the fact that there's no trading (love, love, love).  And it completely makes sense that you can't complete quests vs. AI.  And in my opinion, it doesn't seem like a cheap cash grab at all. I feel like I can compete very well without spending a single cent.

#30 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

I disagree with almost everything in this post.  I love the fact that there's no trading (love, love, love).  And it completely makes sense that you can't complete quests vs. AI.  And in my opinion, it doesn't seem like a cheap cash grab at all. I feel like I can compete very well without spending a single cent.

I agree completely.  Drop your battlenet tag if you ever want to play a friendly.