* * * * * 2 votes

Hearthstone: CAG-Style

#211 cg8889   Gamer Dad CAGiversary!   970 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:46 AM

The lack of variety in competitive decks is what drove me away months ago. I recently came back and have been dabbling here and there. The biggest thing I've noticed is that it seems like people are playing a much wider variety of decks in unranked games. I haven't touched ranked games since I got back into it. I'll probably just stick to unranked games.

I'm sick of facing the same build daily without a curveball here or there.

Mage = mech mage

Hunter = deathrattle aggro

Warrior = control warrior

Warlock = zoo or handlock

I really like watching Kripparrian or Noxious because they do some crazy, fun decks that are also competitive (usually). I want the next expansion to really shake things up. 

#212 Ltrain23   Luigi Death Stare CAGiversary!   1675 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:57 AM

I'm sick of facing the same build daily without a curveball here or there.

Mage = mech mage

Hunter = deathrattle aggro

Warrior = control warrior

Warlock = zoo or handlock

I really like watching Kripparrian or Noxious because they do some crazy, fun decks that are also competitive (usually). I want the next expansion to really shake things up. 

I have a variation of every one of those built for quests... but the two decks I have been using the most for the last week or so are a midrange healadin (upwards of 70% win rate as of this post) and a mech rogue (closer to 60%). The rogue is a lot more fun to play, but my paladin has a lot of really nice synergies, even without a Tirion.

#213 AshesofWake   chum is fum CAGiversary!   4658 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

AshesofWake

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:27 AM

I have been using my own priest deck i keep swapping random things out. It's fun just to do that. I don't run any silence or taunts in my deck but have learned ways to win that I never thought were possible. Even blow my own mind. I don't think I'm every getting sick of this game. haha. 

I did open a golden Bolvar which I'm figuring out what to do with in a pally deck. 

#214 cg8889   Gamer Dad CAGiversary!   970 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:28 AM

I have a variation of every one of those built for quests... but the two decks I have been using the most for the last week or so are a midrange healadin (upwards of 70% win rate as of this post) and a mech rogue (closer to 60%). The rogue is a lot more fun to play, but my paladin has a lot of really nice synergies, even without a Tirion.

My main class is Priest and I use a deck built around using your deck against you with Shadow Madness, Voljin, Thought Steal and Mind Control. I also play Reincarnate Shaman and Mech Aggro Shaman.

#215 Ltrain23   Luigi Death Stare CAGiversary!   1675 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:16 AM

I just played a game with my rogue where I was totally getting my butt kicked. He had 6 minions out, 1 card in hand, and I had 1 minion out (Cogmaster with no mech help). Backstab on his Piloted Shredder, then killed it with my Cogmaster. What drops? My savior, Doomsayer! I rolled with laughter and felt completely horrible at the same time. Instant rage quit when I assume he pulled nothing of consequence.

#216 dravack   For the Red Eagle! CAGiversary!   301 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:00 AM

I play some. Not a lot. It's fun game to pass the time with IMO. Cheaper than MTG any day of the week lol.

Mainly play mage.

#217 DragonClaw   Splendiferous CAGiversary!   140 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:05 PM

I may be thinking of playing this game(I have been living under a rock. I know.) What class is considered the best for beginers(does not require many great cards to win)?

#218 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

I may be thinking of playing this game(I have been living under a rock. I know.) What class is considered the best for beginers(does not require many great cards to win)?

There's no reason to stick to any particular class, other than leveling them up to level 10 (which you should do with all classes, if for no other reason than easy gold, and takes a relatively short amount of time).  It's not like the longer you use a class, the stronger it gets, or the more cards you get for it (other than the basic cards you get for leveling to 10).  With that being said, any aggro-type deck -- hunter, mech mage, aggro paladin (shockadin), and zoo warlock (zoolock) -- don't necessarily need many epics/legendaries to succeed.

If you do arena, though, mage and paladin are generally considered to be the easiest to win with.

#219 Rocko   Hurm. CAGiversary!   38793 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

Warlock, mage, and hunter are generally the easiest to play.  I believe Paladin is also fairly accessible.  Druid and Warrior are more or less off-limits to newer players until you get a solid collection.

#220 DragonClaw   Splendiferous CAGiversary!   140 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Thanks Madcatz1999 & Rocko for the advice. I decided to go with the mage. Seemed a lot like the classic MTG Red deck that I used to play. Lots of direct damage spells and the like, although this mage class does have some disabling spells that can elminate some tough creatures it seems. It seems like great fun.

#221 Rocko   Hurm. CAGiversary!   38793 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

Blackrock Mountain, anyone?

#222 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

April 2nd!

#223 AshesofWake   chum is fum CAGiversary!   4658 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

AshesofWake

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

pre-ordered and exclusive card back boner.

#224 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8709 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

So I am a beginner to the game. I played the tutorial and I know how the game works but my question is what is the easiest way to do the dailies? I have tried the game up to the tutorial and stopped but I want to get back into the game.

Also I am assuming it's still better to do the whole elimination tournament thing instead of buying card packs?

#225 madcatz1999   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   699 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

madcatz1999

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

You probably want to level up all your classes to level 10.  That will get you a large chunk of gold, as well as the complete set of basic cards.

As far as the dailies go, they're pretty straightforward, no?  If you have to win 2 or 5 games with certain classes, then there's not really a way to make that easier.  If you need to, find site like hearthpwn where people post decks, and find one labeled "budget" or something, and get a good idea of what a good, cheap deck for that class looks like.

If you don't mind putting in the bit of extra time to clear them, I would recommend exchanging every 40 gold quest you get, in hopes of a 60-100 gold one, or the free pack one.  A lot of people go as far as to never complete a 40 gold quest unless your quest log is completely full of them.

As for arena vs card packs...keep in mind that you can only get Goblins vs. Gnomes packs from the arena now.  If you want classic packs, you have to buy them directly.  So, you'll probably want some of those -- maybe mix it up a bit with arena to get a variety of cards.  And there are sites out there that will tell you what cards are typically good in the arena, and which ones you generally want to avoid.  It can be good to follow their recommendations, at least until you get a feel of what cards synergizes well with what you've already picked.

#226 lastemp3ror   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1503 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

lastemp3ror

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

In regards to dailies, if your goal to maximize gold, then try never to do the ones that offer only 40 gold. Delete those and eventually you will accumulate ones that are either 60 or 100. 

If you are very new and don't have many cards, then yes do arena, and look at guides on which cards to draft and how to play. Not sure if the payouts have changed but a few months ago, if you win 3, you get 50 gold back plus a pack and some change. Which means you are getting more value than you would buying a pack for 100. Not to mention the fact that you are playing in arena which has value too. 

#227 redline   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1013 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

Don't play arena until you've been playing a while and have a solid understanding of the game. Otherwise you'll just be wasting gold if you can only manage 0-2 wins. 3 wins is about the breakeven point for arena where you get back what you put in. So for arena to be more efficient than buying packs you need to be averaging 4+ wins, which can be pretty difficult for new players.

#228 RPGamer246   I Game You Game We Game CAGiversary!   1029 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:18 PM

I used to do a ton of arena and stopped recently, I might have to get back into them, they were fun. Im on a decent win streak in ranked right now though, currently rank 8. I climb with druid, warlock and now some warrior because grim patron is OP

#229 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2159 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

At what point is it a good idea to start spending gold on Gnomes & Goblins packs and/or solo adventure packs, instead of always buying classic packs?

I've been playing for about two months now (technically registered way back in the beta and the launch, but never really played).  So far, I've opened probably around 20 packs (guessing) and have around 150 human wins.  All classes up to level 10.

Mostly playing Hunter, some Mage.

#230 Sinfulfate   The Podfather CAGiversary!   1217 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

At what point is it a good idea to start spending gold on Gnomes & Goblins packs and/or solo adventure packs, instead of always buying classic packs?

I've been playing for about two months now (technically registered way back in the beta and the launch, but never really played).  So far, I've opened probably around 20 packs (guessing) and have around 150 human wins.  All classes up to level 10.

I'd start saving up Gold now and buy the adventure packs. You only need to get the first wing of Black Rock to get the good Hunter card(Quickshot) but for nax you want to buy all the wings since it has alot of good hunter cards like Mad Scientist which has a deathrattle that puts a secret from your deck into the battlefield.

#231 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2159 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

I'd start saving up Gold now and buy the adventure packs. You only need to get the first wing of Black Rock to get the good Hunter card(Quickshot) but for nax you want to buy all the wings since it has alot of good hunter cards like Mad Scientist which has a deathrattle that puts a secret from your deck into the battlefield.

Thanks for the info; I'll start saving up for those now.

I wonder if Blizzard will start offering sales.  I could see myself being comfortable spending $10 here or there on some content, but the CAG in me would convulse upon playing $25 per adventure, so it's all gold for now. ;)

#232 Gamer SDP   not much of a gamer CAGiversary!   4968 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:55 PM

Here's my take as a true "f2p" or CAG player (ignore if money isn't an issue... and get off CAG)

Spoiler

#233 HanLong323   Imma Gamer CAG Newbie   6 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

HanLong323

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:59 AM

My advice is, save the gold for adventures.

#234 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1135 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:04 AM

Anyone know how to get the galaxy card back?

#235 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2159 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

Anyone know how to get the galaxy card back?

Here ya go: https://www.reddit.c..._and_card_back/

#236 NuclearPorkchop   Herc Mondo's Cousin CAGiversary!   1230 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

NuclearPorkchop

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

That android emulator froze my PC up a couple of times, but I was able to snag the card back + 3 packs for myself and a friend who is currently abroad.

Hoping amazon does another "get coins back" promo, or starts offering apps w/ free coins again, maybe around whenGrand Tourney is released.

#237 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2159 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:02 AM

Sometimes I wonder whether I'm the only one who doesn't have Dr. Boom yet... sometimes it's like he's in every deck I play against.

I reached a new top rank today: 15!  I know that's not much in general, but I'm still in that noob-to-intermediate phase.