I'm in China right now

Make sure you ask everyone you see about Tienanmen Square and Falun Gong.

Also I hope you're wearing your "I love Democracy" t-shirt. 

its a total cock fest
It is now that I'm here.

Good to know...I'll be breaking into your house later. LOL!
My wife is lightly armed. My 7, 4, and 2yr olds are heavily armed. Make sure not to knock first :p

Are you trying to help find that missing flight?
I'm trying not to BE on the next missing flight.

Make sure you ask everyone you see about Tienanmen Square and Falun Gong.

Also I hope you're wearing your "I love Democracy" t-shirt.
The airline lost my luggage, so 2.5 days with no new clothes. If I could have found an America, fuck Ya T Shirt, I would've worn the hell out of it. Only about 1 in 5,000 here know enough English to understand it. They would probably think I'm the white Justin Timberlake.

China is like if someone left a great big pile of trash out in the street for weeks, then 20 bums took a shit on it. It's baaad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he loves orange chicken.
Fun fact: Sweet and sour sauce used in food, specifically fish, is actually an authentic Chinese dish. It's "similar" to the sauce in orange chicken, but the savory-ness was originally derived through fish sauce as it was originally sweet and sour fish. The chicken, beef, pork, etc is an American thing to cater to the tastes of you white devils. :D

If it's that bad, why did you go?
Had to for work.

What other countries have you visited, for reference?
Mexico, Canada, Dubai, Hong Kong, Philippines, England, France, Spain, Saudi Arabia

Because he loves orange chicken.
Get me some lemon pan-fried, and I'm yours. The guys we were meeting with told us we could eat the street food in Hong Kong and just maybe get sick, but they won't eat any of it in China because they will get sick, and we will get sick. Lots of McDonald's by their recommendation, 2-3 Chinese sit-down restaurants with the Chinese guys. I've had better food in San Francisco...which is where I have to travel to in 3 days.

Doh, orange chicken is a plot by the man to whiten us up. I'm not falling for it. A fortune cookie told me. It doesn't get anymore authentic than that.

2cgg0w.jpg

So I speak just a shred of Cantonese, enough to kind of figure out where I am, and have a brief conversation, and Shenzhen is like, 10 minutes from Hong Kong. You would think there would be more English speakers, or at least a few more Cantonese speakers here. Nope. Mandarin and more Mandarin.

So I speak just a shred of Cantonese, enough to kind of figure out where I am, and have a brief conversation, and Shenzhen is like, 10 minutes from Hong Kong. You would think there would be more English speakers, or at least a few more Cantonese speakers here. Nope. Mandarin and more Mandarin.
In that case, all you need to know is Cao Ni Ma and Ta Ma De. :lol:

Swearing in Cantonese is so much more awesome though.

I've not been to China, but spent 3 weeks in Taiwan in summer 2011 and loved it. I was with my friend who is from there though, so language wasn't an issue. In Taipei it was easy to find English speakers, but elsewhere in the country was much harder.

It was one of my favorite trips, but I haven't done a lot of international travel. Sweden (Stockholm) and The Netherlands (Amsterdam) are the only two places I've been, other than an afternoon in Tiajuana as a kid on a trip to San Diego.

Yah, I heard Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, are all vastly superior places compared to mainland China. I can only regionally compare to Hong Kong and the Philippines, and it was far and away worse than those two places.

Yah, I heard Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, are all vastly superior places compared to mainland China. I can only regionally compare to Hong Kong and the Philippines, and it was far and away worse than those two places.
I've never been to any of those countries besides Thailand with the addition of Laos.

But I loved both Thailand and Laos, I'd go back if I had money and time.

I haven't done a lot of international travel. Sweden (Stockholm) and The Netherlands (Amsterdam) are the only two places I've been, other than an afternoon in Tiajuana as a kid on a trip to San Diego.
How was Amsterdam? I'll be there in a few weeks.

How was Amsterdam? I'll be there in a few weeks.
I liked it a lot. Unique places, the canals are great, some great museums--the Rijks (sp?) Museum and Van Gogh museums are must. Only disappointment was the food wasn't great compared to other European cities. Even with recommendations from colleagues that lived there I was never blown away by any meal.

To be fair, China is a huge country and varies greatly. I've heard Shanghai is an amazing city to visit, and some good things about Beijing as well.

To be fair, China is a huge country and varies greatly. I've heard Shanghai is an amazing city to visit, and some good things about Beijing as well.
Beijing wasn't much either, for me. Didn't make it to Shanghai.

It's dirty, the people are rude, the hygiene is atrocious, the food is bad, Mandarin is an horrific language to listen to IMO (I like Cantonese much, much better). I'm not exaggerating when I say I can't think of a single nice thing to say about the country. Yes it's huge, but I suspect there are Chinese people everywhere. That's the #1 problem. They have no manners. And this isn't coming from a xenophobic, aloof American. I've traveled more than the average fella, I'm a nut for learning new languages, cultures, and experiences.

If the planet had an asshole, and it was cancerous and infected, it would seem to be China.

My "joke" about Beijing Mandarin is that it's ha'r, na'r, fa'r, sha'r. China is huge and with so many dialects, it takes some getting used to. Taiwan Mandarin is a bit more like the written language without all the -ar shortcuts. If Beijing Mandarin is tough on your ears, I can't imagine what you'd think of Fujianese. That's a bit of an in-joke. ;)

Cantonese is still the best though because it has all the awesome curse phrases. Hum lun, chow hai! :rofl:

I went to HK when I was 2(free seat) and I hope to go back one day. I have a strong stomach so I think I can handle the food. A bunch my friends have gone and they never had a problem.

Yah, Hong Kong is waaay cleaner and safer to eat. I got mildly sick once when I was there, but I was there for 10 days and was eating homecooked food at my friend's grandma's house, eating at some shady street spots. That duration and that variety seemed inevitable.

bread's done
Back